• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Very likely - the big WiiU games like Smash Bros. and Zelda U will hit NX at launch so the system will replace WiiU very fast.

I imagine NX is going to play Wii U games if they are doing this.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Aren't all rumors pointing towards a brand new architecture? Nintendo making a Wii U emulator? Eh, I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon. It's probably more worth it to just port the few games worth selling again.

Steejee

Hrm, I wonder what specific accessories that includes?

I'd hope gear like the ProPad and even the Wiimotes would work with the NX. The various control options was one of my favorite aspects of the WiiU.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Holy shit. THAT fast? Is this the fastest termination for a high-profile console ever?

3 years is the norm for all our favorite failures, so Wii U is past that by one.

edit: Virtual Boy wasn't even a full year, if you want to call that high profile.

Dimmle

wow, no way

Wii U had the shortest tail of any Nintendo console to date. Can you even call that a tail?

edit: It's normal to stop production this early?

If this is true, does it confirm NX is gonna be backwards compatible with Wii U?

Doesn't confirm it, but I'm going to assume with the strategy Nintendo has been using for their consoles/handhelds the past few cycles, I would be surprised if the NX didn't play Wii/Wii U games, or at minimum Wii U titles.

I'm kind of banking on that fact myself as I haven't picked up a Wii U and with talks of NX possibly at the end of the year, I'd save the money towards that instead. I REALLY want some Super Mario Maker.

Oh man, If NX sells as much as the WII U, this is gonna suck for Nintendo. I bought a Wii U during launch, this time I will wait until games actually releases on the damn thing.

shanafan

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Same for the original Xbox. Awesome four years with both consoles - and still kicking forward. Just picked up Silent Hill 2 for OG Xbox.

Holy shit. THAT fast? Is this the fastest termination for a high-profile console ever?

The original Xbox was even less I think - November 2001 through June 2005 (44 months) vs. the Wii U's November 2012 through late 2016 (approx 48 months if information is correct).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NX 2016 confirmed 100%.

Atheerios

Has Nintendo ever ceased production on an old console this fast? They usually wait at least a year between the new hardware and discontinuation of old hardware. Are they losing that much producing Wii U?

wii-u-sad-1534973.jpg

This picture always bothered me. The reflection in the window should be reversed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I would love to say I'm shocked, but they should have pulled the plug years ago. Bring on the new system!

AdanVC

Wii U soon to be a rare console confirmed. Wow wasn't expecting they will cease production of the console this early...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Might as well move on. There's no incentive to keep people on the Wii U given there's no third party support to get license fees from.

Blues1990

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Aren't all rumors pointing towards a brand new architecture? Nintendo making a Wii U emulator? Eh, I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon. It's probably more worth it to just port the few games worth selling again.

I personally want Nintendo to have a fresh start. Cut off anything and everything that's associated with the Wii/Wii U name.

prag16

Banned
So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

I wouldn't say I'm "happy" to see it live this short a life, but all told probably have well over 1000 hours into it, so I can't say it wasn't worth it.

Definitely not going to be an early adopter of NX though. I'll tell you that right now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Shiet, time to stock up on Wii U Pro Controllers why I still can.

Any accessories I need to acquire before they disappear forever?

There it is

Now we will see is NX is worthy of our Attention or not

Yes definitely. It's a great system.

Naw... it just had great software. Literally like every other Nintendo system gets regardless of its quality (dont pull virtual boy on me im not counting it)

J@hranimo

Banned
As for those who can't remember how long it's been

by November aka around NX launch, the Wii U Generation will have been a mere 4 years.

Top Bottom