• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo raises Switch output to record 30m, will release a model capable of better graphics

Woopah

Nintendo will ramp up output of the Switch to about 30 million units this fiscal year, Nikkei has learned, marking an all-time high for the flagship gaming device in a bid to capitalize on continuing stay-at-home demand. The Kyoto-based company approached multiple parts suppliers about accelerating production. People with direct knowledge of the matter verified plans to expand output.

In addition, Nintendo will release a follow-up Switch model capable of better graphics. This will be the first such offering since the 2019 release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.

In the previous fiscal year through March 31, stay-at-home demand brought about by the pandemic fueled blockbuster sales of the social game "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and the new "Monster Hunter" title.

Another driver of the Switch's robust performance is the Nintendo Switch Online paid subscription service. The platform allows people to pair with one another and game, and the number of subscribers has more than doubled in a year -- 26 million as of September last year.

Source: Nikkei

supernova8

Banned
Another driver of the Switch's robust performance is the Nintendo Switch Online paid subscription service. The platform allows people to pair with one another and game
Genius, I swear nobody else has done that yet

parks and red sigh GIF

Woopah

Maybe when the Switch Pro releases the scalper bots will focus on that and then normal people can buy PS5s and Xboxes.
Hopefully the supply of PS5s and Xbox Series will have normalized by then!

Looking forward to the New Switch announcement at E3.
I hope they show the new model at E3.
Unlikely, I don't see this thing launching until September at the very earliest, so the earliest the announcement would be is July.

Maybe it's something that complements the Switch (a new dock?)
From everything we have heard it will be the internals of the Switch that are being upgraded. So its a new revision and not just new dock

I'm get very annoyed if Nintendo tries to push the max amount of the current Switch just to followup with a better Switch to bait people to buy another device.
They should lower the Switch production, at least the current one, to replace it with the new one.
Greedy yakuzas.

Kuranghi

Are OLED screens better than they were during Vita times? I heard the black levels and colour saturation on that OLED screen was rubbish compared to large size OLED panels from LGD, saw people saying they preferred the LCD version of the Vita which surprised me, when I asked why all the advantages they gave were usually things I'd associate with OLED screens. They may have just been a wally in fairness.

Zannegan

Looking forward to the New Switch announcement at E3.
Only if it's launching soon after. Although...

This is a revision, not a new gen, so it doesn't matter as much if the hardcore want to hold out for a new model. They'll still buy software. In fact, they could get people to buy more software if the games will carry over and be upgraded on the pro.

Still, that's wishful thinking. History says they'll pretend the pro doesn't exist until a few months or even weeks before launch.

supernova8

Banned
Looking forward to the oled screened Switch but knowing some nobhead scalpers will try grabbing them all;

Animated GIF
Hopefully towards the end of the year when COVID dies down (vaccines should kill it off relatively quickly) more retailers will do in-store lotteries (where the tickets themselves are only available in-store) so that there's a more level-playing field. Sucks how buying gadgets has become such a fuckin pain in the arse crack but it is what it is for now.

Fake

Another driver of the Switch's robust performance is the Nintendo Switch Online paid subscription service. The platform allows people to pair with one another and game, and the number of subscribers has more than doubled in a year -- 26 million as of September last year.

No shit Sherlock.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

But Nintendo's big innovation is that voice chat is done with a cellphone. No one has done that before.
Oh god, I had forgotten that aberration. I’m a switch owner but mostly single player and when it’s online, I’ll never bother to make that setup to talk.

Woopah

I'm get very annoyed if Nintendo tries to push the max amount of the current Switch just to followup with a better Switch to bait people to buy another device.
They should lower the Switch production, at least the current one, to replace it with the new one.
Greedy yakuzas.
Nintendo won't purposefully lower supply and make it harder to find a Switch. They'll get as many current Switch's into stores as they can, and then announce the new version a couple of months in advance of launch, similar to what happened with a PS4 Pro
How much of that 30 million will be Pro consoles? Is it too much to hope for half?
Probably too much. From I remember Bloomberg said they were looking to produce one million a month from July onwards.

Amin_Parker

Thank you so much for sharing this article with all of us here on this site. One thing I know for sure that I am extremely excited for Nintendo to release an updated Switch. I'm already loving the console so much and I am eagerly awaiting an upgrade. I applaud The N on their success this generation and hope they can continue their record breaking sales this year as well as beyond.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Greedy yakuzas.
Lol do you even business bro

Ezquimacore

Banned
This fiscal year will have pokemon snap, the pokemon remakes, the '"pokemon breath of the wild" and the possibility of breath of the wild 2. Add to that another big game that we don't know about and the "switch pro"

Woopah

This fiscal year will have pokemon snap, the pokemon remakes, the '"pokemon breath of the wild" and the possibility of breath of the wild 2. Add to that another big game that we don't know about and the "switch pro"
I think the other big game will be Donkey Kong. Then they'll be smaller things like 2D Metroid, a MonolithSoft game and Bayonetta 3.
Also don't forget about Splatoon 3
That could come this fiscal year, but I expect it to be a summer 2022 game.

jaysius

Banned
time calendar GIF by Daniela Sherer

How many years have we been reading this “news”?

Don’t get your hopes up for Nintendo having a good E3.

Dont they usually wait for the Tokyo game show for big things?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Boy I wish people would shut up about the switch pro or 2 or whatever. We can't even get the consoles that are out. Yes it needs to happen, but it ain't happening soon.
Lol. You have no clue. The gpu market is selling out in record numbers and they've kept continuously announcing new cards, and are expected to announce even more NEW cards this month alone. These are products that are $800-$1600 retail and get botted out, much more expensive than consoles, and SOLD OUT. Nintendo won't give a shit either, they'll release a new Switch this year. If you don't think so, you're just not wanting to accept reality.

Woopah

time calendar GIF by Daniela Sherer

How many years have we been reading this “news”?

Don’t get your hopes up for Nintendo having a good E3.

Dont they usually wait for the Tokyo game show for big things?
The closer we get to release, the more information will come out about the device from the suppliers.

Nintendo hasn't announced anything major at TGS for years, whereas they regularly announce and reveal games at E3. I'd expect multiple first party announcements for their 2021 E3 Direct

Amin_Parker

I think the other big game will be Donkey Kong. Then they'll be smaller things like 2D Metroid, a MonolithSoft game and Bayonetta 3.

That could come this fiscal year, but I expect it to be a summer 2022 game.
Yes I understand. That may very well be the appropriate time slot for that game to be released.

Maybe when the Switch Pro releases the scalper bots will focus on that and then normal people can buy PS5s and Xboxes.
Nintendo's blue ocean isn't going to be buying systems off scalpers in large numbers. It would work for a little bit, but probably not as well as PS5s.

Astral Dog

Greedy yakuzas.
The same happened with PSpro and Xbox ONE X.

Switch Pro will be alright, it just won't be the next gen Switch some people are hoping for, og Switch still selling like crazy and Nintendo would be dumb to rush things in their position.

dcx4610

I wonder if the Switch Pro will be signifcant enough upgrade to consider it a 9th gen console? Console generations are getting weird. The Xbox Series X is basically a beefed up Xbox One straight down to the same OS and game boxes. Maybe Nintendo will follow suit.

If the only way to get a Switch is to buy off a scalper then so be it. I hate the cunts but i need to play BOTW2 whenever it comes out. I’ll do everything i can to avoid paying a scalper but if it comes to it…

im not so desperate for a PS5 so im quite happy to wait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom