• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo to offer more low-cost software - 3DS remasters (?), more free demos

gwiz210

If F2P means we can get a new F-Zero with the classic four racers unlocked for free and the rest of the X/GX racers for $$$ then so be it. I'll buy my dude QQQ and be set.

fernoca

Rusty and Steel Diver are well done F2P games, Nintendo's way of handling DLC and even Season Passes has been excellent so far... no worries; yet.

DSix

Banned
Sounds like re-releases and mobile 3rd party ports with nintendo brands on top. Nothing new under the sun.

Edit: actually, what's new is the race to the bottom prices. I thought was dead set against that... it's not reassuring.

Sandfox

the dude expected a 100 billion yen profit at the end of the last fiscal year, i think (and then missed it by a tad). that's what led to rumors/callings for his stepping down from the company all throughout 2013. those were fun times.

making such a bold prediction for march 2017 has me thinking new platforms are on the way next fall.

Iwata has been saying this since last year so he clearly has something planned for 2016.

AniHawk

remakes + low-budget games means they can support the 3ds by getting third-parties to handle the workload while they focus more of their internal teams on preparing launch software for their next platform. i think we're comparatively in 2010 right now where the console has lots of games and the handheld has less notable stuff. instead of getting to a point where all four platforms have a trickle, they're trying to give the illusion that the platforms currently on their way out are being supported.

E-phonk

Banned
they already showed one of their new F2P titles in the last nintendo direct:

b4q8cafyyx5x79qggycd.jpg

and ofcourse RRDB and SD:SW

Morokh

Nintendo going deeper on F2P ? that's actually one area where their 'kid friendly' general policy might work-out in not completely screwing the consumer over.

Will be interesting to see what they come-up with.

AniHawk

Their new products could end up tanking just like the Wii U, what makes him so sure of that amount of profit?

if i had to guess, and this is only a guess, it's probably dragon quest vii remake localization making up the majority of that.

JoeM86

"<B>based on</B> smartphone offerings" can really mean a lot of things.

Yes, such as this
Pazudora-3DS-Western-Dated-Init.jpg

That's what they mean, people. Not that they're just going to port smartphone titles over and have them F2P. The Nikkei article didn't mention F2P, why are people acting like that's the core focus of this?

That's what they mean, people. Not that they're just going to port smartphone titles over and have them F2P. The Nikkei article didn't mention F2P, why are people acting like that's the core focus of this?

It was the thread title originally, felt like it was some secret literacy test.

duckroll

Smartphone offerings are mostly F2P titles though?

I'm pretty sure the statement is about releasing past (Nintendo) titles and (popular) smartphone offerings on the 3DS. Examples being Majora's Mask and Xenoblade as past Nintendo titles being remade/remastered/whatever on 3DS, and Puzzles & Dragons being a popular smartphone offering adapted to the 3DS as a retail game.

Elija2

If it means more titles like Captain Toad or Rusty's, I'm down. No telling what it actually means though.

I don't consider $40 to be low-cost.

Are their smaller eShop titles like Pushmo and NES Remix not enough? Instead their new strategy is to do more remasters and demos? But their remasters are still being sold for full price and they've had demos for years. So much for expanding customer choice.

JoeM86

I don't consider $40 to be low-cost.

Are their smaller eShop titles like Pushmo and NES Remix not enough? Instead their new strategy is to do more remasters and demos? But their remasters are still being sold for full price and they've had demos for years. So much for expanding customer choice.

When standard games are pushing $70, $40 is very much low cost

Amalthea

Banned
Maybe they are going to do mre NES (or Gameboy) remasters with rebalanced difficulty and SNES-level graphics like S-E does.

NewGame

Banned
The eShop already has a bunch of really awesome free demos on it (and some hilarious trash) but if they could advertise the console with free content that would be insane for impulse purchases.

3DS comes with free games:

- Face Raiders
- AR games
- Pokemon Demo
- Fire Emblem Demo
- Angry Birds
- <some other mobile thing>

GamerJM

Banned
More remasters = Melee HD pls

yes I realize this has recently been discussed in length in other topics but the fact that we've even had that discussion made me realize that Melee is probably one of the most requested games for remaster so if they're going to remaster something it might as well be that

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm pretty sure the statement is about releasing past (Nintendo) titles and (popular) smartphone offerings on the 3DS. Examples being Majora's Mask and Xenoblade as past Nintendo titles being remade/remastered/whatever on 3DS, and Puzzles & Dragons being a popular smartphone offering adapted to the 3DS as a retail game.

That's not how I saw it initially, but you may be right. I saw Puzzles & Dragons more as a licensing venture a la Hyrule Warriors.

I mentioned F2P due to Nintendo's new foray of titles such as Rusty, Pokemon & Steel Driver; coupled with mobile offerings and low costs, it seemed obvious but maybe I was wrong as you pointed out.

kubus

"<B>based on</B> smartphone offerings" can really mean a lot of things.
I think Collectible Badge Center for 3DS is part of this.

Small, simple game that gives you a chance of getting free plays everyday, with in-app purchases available to buy plays (90 yen for 5 plays).

It's getting kinda bad though, the machines keep getting harder and the chances of getting the 3x free play are ridiculously small. And they keep churning out badges like it's nothing :(.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree.
We can also see Captain Toad as one of their "budget releases" (they already hinted at more similar project, and probably also Kirby U is one of those); and Rusty Baseball/Steel Diver as "free trial" products.

duckroll

That's not how I saw it initially, but you may be right. I saw Puzzles & Dragons more as a licensing venture a la Hyrule Warriors.

I mentioned F2P due to Nintendo's new foray of titles such as Rusty, Pokemon & Steel Driver; coupled with mobile offerings and low costs, it seemed obvious but maybe I was wrong as you pointed out.

I think it's worth pointing out that even with Steel Driver, which was marketed as Nintendo's first "F2P" title, it isn't really how most people see F2P gaming. There are no actual microtransactions as far as I know, but instead it is a free demo with generous content, and an option to upgrade to a full game for a larger feature set. Coupled with the subsequent comment about more free trials to encourage people to buy full versions, I think the perspective leans towards that rather than a traditional F2P model.

Sandfox

What about the part mentioning content for several hundred yen?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think it's worth pointing out that even with Steel Driver, which was marketed as Nintendo's first "F2P" title, it isn't really how most people see F2P gaming. There are no actual microtransactions as far as I know, but instead it is a free demo with generous content, and an option to upgrade to a full game for a larger feature set. Coupled with the subsequent comment about more free trials to encourage people to buy full versions, I think the perspective leans towards that rather than a traditional F2P model.

I can agree, sorry for being misleading.

duckroll

I can agree, sorry for being misleading.

I don't think it was misleading, sometimes statements have different interpretations. I only edited the title to reflect what was stated in the article directly. Discussion and exchanging different viewpoints is healthy.

What about the part mentioning content for several hundred yen?

I see it as more download titles on the 3DS moving forward. Maybe even cheaper variations of things like Ultimate NES Remix.

The information reads like a 3 month old article
- affordable titles: Capt Toad, Rainbow Curse
- remastered old games for 3DS: Majora's Mask, Xenoblade
- more trial games: Pokemon Shuffle

We may be in for even more of things like these but it reads like it's forecasting the present.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How are standard games "pushing $70" exactly?

in Europe PS4/XBONE games are tagged at 70€ very often while Captain Toad was effectively at 40€ SRP. At least at Gamestop. On Amazon you can find many 60€ games. Even so, it's a 30% less expensive.
The main difference is that other publishers games tend to decrease in terms of costs way quicker than Nintendo published games.

Are you guys sure starfox is gonna be some episodic game, f2p game or are you guys just cant wrap your head around a new starfox game being made to fit in 2015's game industry business model..?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Those don't cost "several hundred yen." Nor are they smartphone games. There's something else to this.

Maybe Nintendo's come to their senses and realised they should totally do more 3D Classics.

They owe us. They released Urban Champion. Urban Champion

in Europe PS4/XBONE games are tagged at 70&#8364; very often while Captain Toad was effectively at 40&#8364; SRP. At least at Gamestop. On Amazon you can find many 60&#8364; games. Even so, it's a 30% less expensive.
The main difference is that other publishers games tend to decrease in terms of costs way quicker than Nintendo published games.
Well that's bizarre that Europe has a 30&#8364; difference, since I'm used to a $20 difference. Didn't realize that was the pricing scheme right now.

Elija2

When standard games are pushing $70, $40 is very much low cost

Nintendo games never go over $60. And I can't agree with $40 being low-cost when Nintendo have plenty of software that costs less than half of that. Stuff like NES Remix and Pushmo are low-cost, not Treasure Tracker.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Iwata also mentions to expect no price-cut in the near future, and expects Nintendo-like profits in the year ending March 2017.

...Yeah, I think we know when the next handheld is coming.

RalchAC

Iwata also mentions to expect no price-cut in the near future, and expects Nintendo-like profits in the year ending March 2017.

...Yeah, I think we know when the next handheld is coming.

The no price-cut part sucks. It's hard to justify getting a 3DS when the device has been at the same price for 3 years.

Hopefully there will be some decent retailer deals this Fall / Christmas Season for the "standard" New 3DS. If I find one below 150€ I'll bite :)

Nosgoroth

So, instead of driving development and marketing prices up to unsustainable heights where innovation is too risky, he's pushing them down. I like this.

Top Bottom