• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

AniHawk

They wouldn't be more expensive, they would be the same price.

Nintendo will never ever ship a console that requires always online.

if they're the same price, then i wonder the advantage of having two different mediums would be? just the ability to make more off the far fewer discs they would manufacture, i suppose?

LewieP

That's not the point, developers and apps depend on Google Play services for their software to run. If Nintendo ditches them then it has the task of trying to build replicates, just so third party software can operate normally. Trying to replicate Google's vast range of services is a phenomenal task.

Further reading:

Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rolling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/4/

Most of the services that would be required for gaming would be easily replicable.

There would be work involved with porting from Google Play services to Nintendo services, but I suspect DeNA's role is to minimize that work as much as possible, and it would also be far less work than porting to any of Nintendo's current platforms.

Yes developers won't be able to take a Google Play version of their game and ship it for NX with no extra work, but it would be far less work than what doing similar would be today.

Most of the services that would be required for gaming would be easily replicable.

There would be work involved with porting from Google Play services to Nintendo services, but I suspect DeNA's role is to minimize that work as much as possible, and it would also be far less work than porting to any of Nintendo's current platforms.

Yes developers won't be able to take a Google Play version of their game and ship it for NX with no extra work, but it would be far less work than what doing similar would be today.

That may be true, but mobile developers find support to be the primary issue and stumbling block to embracing a third platform, rather than the porting process itself. Even if Nintendo does make porting easy -- as Microsoft have done with Windows 10 -- it only solves one problem. For developers on mobile, porting is only one stumbling block -- offering long-time support for yet another platform is far bigger an issue to them. While you could point to big publishers in having the resources (Square Enix and LucasArts/Disney aside) to support their software on several platforms, the aim of adopting Android is to gather third party support. Nintendo already has those big publishers on their side, though I suspect they see the industry shift (Konami, Sega) to mobile platforms as something they can embrace.

See: http://mashable.com/2015/04/30/microsoft-build-developers/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Expected something similar from recent news about nx, os, dena, indie and mobile moves from nintendo. All the pieces of the puzzke would come together.
Piracy and cross buy would be my actual concerns

Oregano

if they're the same price, then i wonder the advantage of having two different mediums would be? just the ability to make more off the far fewer discs they would manufacture, i suppose?

I say one medium(probably cards) with downloadable assets for the higher quality console. Only having to manufacture, ship and stock one box has to be a key goal.

With stores cutting shelf space they can't seriously try to convince them to stock two versions of every game.

Of course they will be putting more emphasis on digital downloads. If they're feeling super-brave they might go DD-only with download codes at retail.

test_account

XP-39C²
Very surprising if true, but it would also make sense, in my opinion. I was actually thinking quite a while ago that this was a solution that Sony might use for their next portable system.

_Ryo_

Sell cards for a handheld and discs for a console. Include a code that adds all the other versions of the game to your account at no extra charge. The discs and cards work just like they do today, but you just download the other versions of it.

Presumably a big part of why Nintendo would go down the avenue they are describing with NX is so they can more easily convert people who own their handheld consoles into being people who also own their home consoles.

I imagine the Wii U would be selling a lot better if 3DS owners could play all the games they own on 3DS on the Wii U.

Downloading different versions of games goes against everything I speculated and Nintendos philosophy about unified syste.s. Both versions of the game will be on the physical media because there is only one version. It just scales depending on which device you're using. I think Nintendo woukd still like to keep old fans and casuals happy about just plugging in their game and playing without having to worry about all the online drama that Xbox One and Ps4 have

I dont really know how they go about doing it though.

Baleoce

I don't know the security rammifications of this, but from a development perspective, this has to be good right, on the assumption it's true?

beril

I don't know the security rammifications of this, but from a development perspective, this has to be good right, on the assumption it's true?

Android development is awful, so no. I really hope it'll have as little impact on the development environment as possible if true.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Android-based? I wonder if Nintendo will be able to prevent widespread piracy which I imagine would be a very serious problem for them (unless all their new content is F2P).

I think you can lock down an android-based OS pretty hard, if you want to.
It's just that phone developers don't really care about it, nor they want to eliminate the "Install non-marketplace app" feature.

Nintendo will disable that in their fork, and i kind of doubt flashing the OS will serve anything - The fork won't be public, this isn't stock android.

It's shocking at first, but it's Nintendo, guys. If this turns out to be true, you can bet the final product will have some kind of twist that will make it brilliant. At least I hope so.

Skinpop

"based on" could just as well mean they've just taken the source and made it into something completely different. ps 4 os is based on FreeBSD for example. just because they take advantage of android as a mature code base doesn't mean it will have any similarities for the end user.

E-phonk

Banned
That's not the point, developers and apps depend on Google Play services for their software to run. If Nintendo ditches them through an Android fork then it has the task of trying to build replicates, just so third party software can operate normally.
That's all true for a phone/tablet - but for a console nintendo can build their own services on top of that - i'd say that'll be part of DeNa 's job.

It's also different with "normal/other" manufacturers who want to use android. Nintendo doesn't want/need anyone to know the basis is android, they don't need chrome, they don't need the google+ api, they don't need the GPS api of google maps etc. For normal manufacturers that's a problem, because software build for android won't run on their modified version anymore - but nintendo doesn't want that software to run on it's platform. They only want to allow software approved and verified by them - while still making it fairly easy to port to the platform.

Developers would still need to modify their code to run on aNXdroid, making use of nintendo's API's instead of googles.

I'd also argue that the main reason for choosing android ISN'T for mobile developers to embrace the platform, because like you said yourself porting isn't that hard. More importantly they won't have to write their own OS, which could easily take up a full year of internal devtime with a long periode of unstable builds and optimizations at OS level.
Building a 64bit multitasking OS from scratch isn't easy - and none of the console manufacturers are doing it at the moment. (PS uses freeBSD, MS uses windows8 kernel)

This doesn't mean much except that Nintendo made a good descion wrt maximizing their available software engineering talent, i.e. there is no reason to reinvent the wheel and all these guys are free to work on other stuff.

Sony's ps4 runs BSD, that doesn't mean ps4 is a server doing server stuff. Saying Nintendo is using Android as the bases for their next hardware tells us virtually nothing about it.

Indeed.

That's not the point, developers and apps depend on Google Play services for their software to run. If Nintendo ditches them through an Android fork then it has the task of trying to build replicates, just so third party software can operate normally. Trying to replicate Google's vast range of services is a phenomenal task. Remember, the whole point of adopting Android, according to the source, is third party support and cost reasons. Forking Android wouldn't solve these problems.
[/I]

That's likely one of the reasons why Nintendo partnered with DeNA. They already have experience building and deploying such services on a large scale. Play Games Services is such a minuscule subset of the broader "Google APIs" - most of which games rarely ever touch.

I wonder if I would have access to Google play apps or it would be a custom branch like Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets.

It would most likely be a completely custom ROM, locked down to the hardware and unable to run unsigned code of any kind. Nintendo is going to be a pretty big target for Android "hackers", so they'd better get this right.

Android OS at least implies ARM processor? wtf?

Not necessarily, but ARM is by far the biggest target for Android. Anyway, Nintendo going all in on ARM is something that many of us have predicted. If the Android rumour turns out to be true, and it's running on their home console, I'd say it at least implies that they're dropping PPC. That is, unless they want to maintain a fork for a platform no one in the consumer space longer cares about.

QaaQer

This doesn't mean much except that Nintendo made a good descion wrt maximizing their available software engineering talent, i.e. there is no reason to reinvent the wheel and all these guys are free to work on other stuff.

Sony's ps4 runs BSD, that doesn't mean ps4 is a server doing server stuff. Saying Nintendo is using Android as the bases for their next hardware tells us virtually nothing about it.

Theonik

Nintendo better get the security locked down.
Vanilla Android is pretty secure. As far as real security is concerned it's usually vendor customisations that open up the platform to exploits. Samsung used to be notorious for this.
As for security in the 'Haha you thought this was YOUR hardware didn't you. fufufu' security sense, who knows. Nintendo hasn't been good at this for a long time.

geordiemp

Maybe its got a dual OS....

One for mobile games and one for console games....

I made that up, but who knows

Proc

I'm struggling to see how this is good for 3rd parties for a home console. This definitely seem to be striving for mobile parity with android phones and tablets. My initial reaction is mixed because it would be nice if it were more PC based than mobile based. We shall see what it ends up looking like. Very interesting indeed.

ElFly

That's not the point, developers and apps depend on Google Play services for their software to run. If Nintendo ditches them through an Android fork then it has the task of trying to build replicates, just so third party software can operate normally. Trying to replicate Google's vast range of services is a phenomenal task. Remember, the whole point of adopting Android, according to the source, is third party support and cost reasons. Forking Android wouldn't solve these problems.

Further reading:

Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rolling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/4/

Taking the Android app ecosystem from Google seems easy: just get your own app store up and running, convince developers to upload their apps to it, and you're on your way. But the Google APIs that ship with Play Services are out to stop this by convincing developers to weave dependence on Google into their apps. Google's strategy with Google Play Services is to turn the "Android App Ecosystem" into the "Google Play Ecosystem" by making a developer's life as easy as possible on a Google-approved device—and as difficult as possible on a non-Google-approved device.

If you use any Google APIs and try to run your app on a Kindle, or any other non-Google version of AOSP: surprise! Your app is broken. Google's Android is a very high percentage of the Android market, and developers only really care about making their app easily, making it work well, and reaching a wide audience. Google APIs accomplish all that, with the side effect that your app is now dependent on the device having a Google Apps license.

I was thinking about this, and yeah, taking out the whole Google APIs part of android is a ton of work, that I don't believe Nintendo will want to do.

On the other hand, they can just let it be a full android device, and just pre-load a Nintendo e-shop app on it. Other OEMs do it already; my galaxy note 2 has a Samsung apps store in it.

The trick would be how to make people want to be on the e-shop in the first place.

My best guess would be to just lock some part of the GPU to signed code from the e-shop. If the console/handheld has a d-pad and buttons too, that makes it more difficult to just take the game and port it to other android phones, without losing a lot in the way of usability. Again, make the buttons/dpad eshop exclusive. Sure, you'd be able to buy whatever game on the e-shop AND/OR in google play, but only from the e-shop you'd get the full NX experience.

QaaQer

Besides the piracy issue, Android is an awful platform in some respects for games. Audio often has anywhere from 40 to 100ms of lag depending on the device and API used, the NDK is a mess to develop on (native code debugging in the IDE was only just announced at Google I/O last week), and if it's a mobile console, most mobile GPUs have shittacular drivers. Is this rumor is true then it might be an extremely customized version of Android.

This reminds me, does anyone have an understanding of Google's licensing terms? Do they have anything like gpl? More specifically, would Nintendo be required to open their specific android code up or allow google to use optimizations in the main android code base? Or can Nintendo do what they want with it with no obligations to android or the android community?

TunaLover

Would be possible from now on that to have the whole Nintendo library since NES, without much architecture hassle, and Android working as a virtual machine?

In a similar note I've seen mentioned that NX will be backward compatible with Wii U, where that claim comes from?

Isn't Android the worst OS for gaming? or for real time apps? I read that once in an emu forum regards kernel things, but I can't remember where nor I'm an expert.

Arkhanor

If this turns out to be true, it'll be awesome! (I work with Android, so it'll be easier to develop something for this platform).

Nx is separate from nintendos app business. However it seems to me that it will be interconnected to it by running on android. lets not forget that this just means that NX uses an OS that is common in todays marketplace (like windows with dreamcast)

E-phonk

Banned
Would be possible from now on that to have the whole Nintendo library since NES, without much architecture hassle, and Android working as a virtual machine?

In a similar note I've seen mentioned that NX will be backward compatible with Wii U, where that claim comes from?
Based on iwata's quote about Wii U architecture. But that quote is so vague it could mean anything. It's this one:

While we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture," Iwata said. "It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately."

I was thinking about this, and yeah, taking out the whole Google APIs part of android is a ton of work, that I don't believe Nintendo will want to do.
Afaik it's not - you can compile a version of android without the google services included - as the google services need an explicit license from Google, while the android OS itself is open source.

Android OS at least implies ARM processor? wtf?
3DS already runs on an ARM processor.

brett2

With all this talk about what type of media to use...if Nintendo wants to build a truly sleek portable gaming device they should consider ditching physical media entirely. Throw in a non-replaceable battery and you will save a ton of space and be able to meet consumers ever escalating demands for thin and light weight products.

Could the various people claiming disappointment elaborate as to why? Do you think Nintendo has the expertise to come up with something better than Android or would you have preferred they went with another external solution?

To me it signals Nintendo is finally trying something different and willing to part with some of their insular philosophy in favour of focusing on where their own strengths lie.

Brudinho

Banned
I really don´t know what I should think about that , it feels so wrong but could be a good move

Let´s wait until we know more , it´s currently just a rumor

Could the various people claiming disappointment elaborate as to why? Do you think Nintendo has the expertise to come up with something better than Android or would you have preferred they went with another external solution?

To me it signals Nintendo is finally trying something different and willing to part with some of their insular philosophy in favour of focusing on where their own strengths lie.

My disappointment stems from how it just won't end well for Nintendo, given what their dedicated games business stands for and how it's meant to complement their iOS/Android offerings in a separate, distinct space:

Basically, I'm more worried if anything, here are the posts I've made about that -- I don't think Nintendo's strengths lie in trying to recreate Google's services (or ceding control to Google if they don't fork) so they can attract third party support.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165993166&postcount=697
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165993926&postcount=707
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165994286&postcount=712

I still believe NX is a controller add on for playing Nintendo games on Android devices with a unified set of physical controls, regardless of the device itself.

JoeM86

Are we sure that the source didn't hear that developers are getting a hang of Android OS and forget that they're doing smartphones now? :p

I don't know what to think about this, anyway. I'm sceptical

ClearData

I'd be disappointed if it is a fork like Amazon's because the Fire OS just doesn't feel as feature rich to me and I worry if that'd be the case with the NX. If the NX runs something like stock Android with gaming enhancements and I could use my Google apps and Play store content alongside the eshop and Miiverse they'd guarantee a purchase from me as I'd be very interested in a device like that.

Neo Member
Android is the main player in the mobile industry so it makes perfect sense basing Nintendo's new console around it.

Being realistic has Nintendo ever made a good navigation system for their consoles before? Except the Gamecube

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That there is nothing WTF about nintendo's next handheld running on ARM? That's non-news and highly expected.

http://consoleos.com/
Download & install android on your PC right now.

Nintendo's NX is handheld?

@that link, lol its not official. I am sure it works but dont think it would be stable. Anything official from any company? Google, samsung, sony, htc, lg?

Top Bottom