• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PSP2 to sport 3g connectivity, OLED touchscreen

spats

DieH@rd said:
If im not mistaken, for us europens that is:
6AM GMT
7AM CET

Nice early morning present. :)

so 8AM here then. Sorry if this has been answered already, but do we know if there will be a video stream of any sorts? Or just live blogs?

TheChillyAcademic said:
SO.

I am still confused as to what exactly a OLED screen is. I went to wikipedia and it might as well have been in Russian, I am not techie >.<

Anyone care to explain it to the clueless gay guy?

Quite simply an AMOLED display unlike any other display technology does not require any form of back-lighting.

This saves on power, gives true levels of black, brilliant contrast and low response times.

slider

Opus Angelorum said:
Quite simply an AMOLED display unlike any other display technology does not require any form of back-lighting.

This saves on power, gives true levels of black, brilliant contrast and low response times.

Despite all the huffing and puffing over 3G the OLED will be the usp I think we'd all agree.

Er, and software/services of course.

slider said:
Despite all the huffing and puffing over 3G the OLED will be the usp I think we'd all agree.

Agreed. Nintendo will be advertising 3D without glasses, Sony will be advertising high resolution and OLED's perfect picture quality.

what do you think will be the resolution of the screen and its size?

my ideal one would be 960 x 544 (4 times the resolution of the psp1) with a screen size of 4.2.
this would result in:
Display size: 3.65" × 2.07" (9.28cm × 5.26cm) = 262.72 PPI

i think a PPI of 262 is really good and everything more is a bit unnecessary. i have an iphone 4 at home and honestly i can't appreciate the 320 PPI if i don't put my face at 3 inches from the screen. at normal viewings, about 5 or 6 inches from the screen, 262 PPI are more than enough in order to have a crystal clear picture. plus if it's really OLED it will be amazing.

Opus Angelorum said:

btw, what's the difference between AMOLED and OLED?

°°ToMmY°° said:

my ideal one would be 960 x 544 (4 times the resolution of the psp1) with a screen size of 4.2.
this would result in:

i think a PPI of 262 is really good and everything more is a bit unnecessary. i have an iphone 4 at home and honestly i can't appreciate the 320 PPI if i don't put my face at 3 inches from the screen. at normal viewings, about 5 or 6 inches from the screen, 262 PPI are more than enough in order to have a crystal clear picture. plus if it's really OLED it will be amazing.

That's basically what the resolution will be according to the last rumor. Screen is allegedly bigger than 4.5".

btw, what's the difference between AMOLED and OLED?

AMOLED = active matrix OLED

The other kind is PMOLED (passive matrix) but I don't think anyone produces it due to cost issues.

OLED is just the name of the base technology, just like LCD comes in many different flavors.

zoku88 said:
If by controller, you just mean the thing that controls write/read enables and the actually writing and reading, then that's not what I was talking about.

I mean, you would need a different type of controller for each type of RAM, since they work differently, but it's not like you have one controller for the entire memory hierarchy.

Think of it like this: in the memory hierarchy, you have your RAM and your HDD in there at the bottom. When the processor needs a certain virtual memory address, sometimes it actually maps to a physical address on the HDD. I'm just saying, you could have a hierarchy like this:

Caches (im combining the levels, even though they should be separate) --> FCRAM --> LPDDR2 RAM --> HDD.

Each step has its own controller, of course.

I mean, there's no reason why that isn't possible. The main reason we have a three part hierarchy in most systems is because it really isn't worth it, imo. I mean, price is your main concern and DDR? RAM is pretty cheap and the latency isn't that bad.

How can you have the two different controllers on the same interconnect path? Cache are different than RAM and RAM is different then storage which actually sits on the I/O bus.

There is no way you can have one processor with multiple memory controllers for system RAM of-course.

Edit: I see what you are saying. You have a controller bw FCRAM and LPDDR2. It could work but you adding complexity to the system plus how much is the cost saving?

duckroll

slider said:

I don't think either will be the USP. These are just features which complement/enhance the USP. The main USP of the PSP2 will be the ability to deliver HD console like experiences on a portable both in terms of graphics (much higher resolution 3D, powerful GPU, great looking screen) and in terms of controls/features (dual analogs, online play over wifi or 3G).

darkwing

°°ToMmY°° said:

this would result in:

yeah that would be good, it still is going to be expensive though

H_Prestige said:
That's basically what the resolution will be according to the last rumor. Screen is allegedly bigger than 4.5".

AMOLED = active matrix OLED

The other kind is PMOLED (passive matrix) but I don't think anyone produces it due to cost issues.

OLED is just the name of the base technology, just like LCD comes in many different flavors.

so the PPI will be less than 262. just checked, at 4.5 inches it would have a density of 245 PPI. is there any other device with a similar spec (PPI)?

zoku88

webcivilian said:
How can you have the two different controllers on the same interconnect path? Cache are different than RAM and RAM is different then storage which actually sits on the I/O bus.

There is no way you can have one processor with multiple memory controllers for system RAM of-course.
EDIT: Just saw your edit. That is what I meant.

The cost saving depends on how much the different types of RAMs cost. If this first type is many times expensive than the second type, and you reduce the size of the first type of RAM and make a bigger 2nd type, you could probably get some pretty good cost savings.

That's why I agreed that that one guy's setup was probably bad, since I don't think it makes sense to have both RAMs, in this case, to be the same size.

EDIT2: I think the controller cost is usually much less than the RAM cost.

Bizzyb

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
And why is the 3DS' price an abomination, but it's acceptable for Sony to release a handheld for $500?

It's sad, but before the 3DS' price was announced I'm pretty sure these people were ready to hate on it no matter what it was.

Well Duh, Haters Gonna hate. In truth 3DS could probably be sold for $199.99 and Nintendo would STILL make a small profit. But, it's 249.99 b/c of the "OMG it has 3DZZ!" and the MUCH improved graphics, and b/c its the next entry in the insanely successful/popular DS legacy.

Like Patcher said, Nintendo could have gotten away with selling it for $300 but they opted to appear more consumer friendly by making it only $249.99

Raistlin

TheChillyAcademic said:
SO.

I am still confused as to what exactly a OLED screen is. I went to wikipedia and it might as well have been in Russian, I am not techie >.<

The gist is, it's a self-illuminating display tech. So unlike an LCD that needs some sort of back, side, or front lighting, OLED's pixels illuminate themselves when stimulated by electricity. In that way, it's somewhat similar to Plasma, but is extremely thin and light. This allows for fantastic blacks and contrast ratios.

jd196

°°ToMmY°° said:
so the PPI will be less than 262. just checked, at 4.5 inches it would have a density of 245 PPI. is there any other device with a similar spec (PPI)?

The Nexus S and Galaxy S devices are probably an indication of what the screen may look like.

1-D_FTW

Bizzyb said:
Well Duh, Haters Gonna hate. In truth 3DS could probably be sold for $199.99 and Nintendo would STILL make a small profit. But, it's 249.99 b/c of the "OMG it has 3DZZ!" and the MUCH improved graphics, and b/c its the next entry in the insanely successful/popular DS legacy.

Like Patcher said, Nintendo could have gotten away with selling it for $300 but they opted to appear more consumer friendly by making it only $249.99

Please don't make a new thread, but saw an article on a french site today where he was bitching they were leaving money on the table and it could of sold for 500 dollars.

All this ignores, of course, the thing is still available for pre-order on Amazon. The May sales on that thing are going to SUCKKKKK.

WARP10CK

Banned
flamesofchaos said:
I won't be surprised if there will be a $450 or $500 model.

Not that much maybe 300$ but anything more and it better have a built in coffee dispenser.

But the whole 3G and touch screen rumors really raises the question on how much this thing actually will cost, people are already complaining about the 3DS price, which I also think is WAY to expensive.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
1-D_FTW said:
Please don't make a new thread, but saw an article on a french site today where he was bitching they were leaving money on the table and it could of sold for 500 dollars.........

$500? That is absurd.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1-D_FTW said:
Please don't make a new thread, but saw an article on a french site today where he was bitching they were leaving money on the table and it could of sold for 500 dollars.

Again, any gaming handheld that is released at over $300 will die a quick and painful death.

zoku88 said:
EDIT: Just saw your edit. That is what I meant.

The cost saving depends on how much the different types of RAMs cost. If this first type is many times expensive than the second type, and you reduce the size of the first type of RAM and make a bigger 2nd type, you could probably get some pretty good cost savings.

That's why I agreed that that one guy's setup was probably bad, since I don't think it makes sense to have both RAMs, in this case, to be the same size.

EDIT2: I think the controller cost is usually much less than the RAM cost.

OK I see. It could speed up things.

8sanders said:
$500? That is absurd.
before this news, people would have suggested putting OLED on a gaming device would have been absurd because of the cost.

Last time I went to a Sony Style store, they had an AMOLED HDTV on display. it was 12" and was something like $2,000.

I agree that $500 is silly, but $399 wouldn't shock me.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1-D_FTW said:
Um, no he didn't say that.

Dreams-Visions said:
before this news, people would have suggested putting OLED on a gaming device would have been absurd because of the cost.

Last time I went to a Sony Style store, they had an AMOLED HDTV on display. it was 12" and was something like $2,000.

I agree that $500 is silly, but $399 wouldn't shock me.

OLED costs don't scale linearly.

Already plenty of mobile OLED's out there. All of Samsung's smartphones have a 4" AMOLED and this year the Galaxy 2 will have even bigger sizes.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
webcivilian said:
What did he say then?
''I'm impressed that they had the confidence to charge $249; I think that they're going to regret it. It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table. I'm impressed that they're this consumer friendly – that really matters. So it's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point. So $249 is a bargain, and I think this thing is going to be on eBay for $500 immediately''

1-D_FTW

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheChillyAcademic said:
SO.

LCD screen has a grid of liquid crystal pixels - bit like your digital watch, only tiny. They are basically little tiny windows that let light through when open, or block it when closed (and shades of grey in between).

Behind that LCD grid you have a backlight. In front of the LCD you have Red/Green/Blue filters (think candy wrappers), so that when the light comes through the LCD windows, it appears as R/G/B. Mix those RGB values in different amounts to get different colours. Full R/B/G mixed up makes it appear white. Each actual pixel on screen is made up of three sub-pixels, one each of Red, Green and blue.

OLED is like a bunch of little LED lightbulbs arranged in a grid. Three subpixels R/G/B grouped together to make one pixel. Same mixing arrangement as LCD. The main difference is that with OLED there is no backlight, no filters, and no window opening and shutting. each subpixel is like a little LED lightbulb, so it just lights up directly.

This makes it thinner (less bits to put together), faster response - LEDs light up much quicker than an LCD getting darker/lighter, and give better contrast - when the lights are off, its completely black. When LCDs are off, some light from behind can still leak through so its not perfectly black.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OLED isn't a USP. Try selling that to your mum compared to 'hey 3D with no stupid glasses'. Tech geeks understand it but thats about all.

960x540 (quarter full HD) is more than enough. Slightly lower ppi than iphone 4 but maybe you'll hold it further away (arms length?) so angular resolution will be comparable

BTW, were people bitching about ppi before Apple suddenly invented retina? Weren't we fine with things? And now we can't live without invisible pixels...

Chris1964 said:
''I'm impressed that they had the confidence to charge $249; I think that they're going to regret it. It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table. I'm impressed that they're this consumer friendly – that really matters. So it's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point. So $249 is a bargain, and I think this thing is going to be on eBay for $500 immediately''

Yeah eBay price is not a scale of some product's MSRP. Its perceived value for a time being say the launch period when there are low amount of hardware available. I'm not even sure if its going to go for $500 on eBay as it launching on non-holiday month.

H_Prestige said:
OLED costs don't scale linearly.

Already plenty of mobile OLED's out there. All of Samsung's smartphones have a 4" AMOLED and this year the Galaxy 2 will have even bigger sizes.
oh right. I forgot about that.

$349 launch. my final offer. lol

webcivilian said:
Yeah eBay price is not a scale of some product's MSRP. Its perceived value for a time being say the launch period when there are low amount of hardware available. I'm not even sure if its going to go for $500 on eBay as it launching on non-holiday month.

The thing is that even for 300$ there's going to be enough demand to drain all 3DS in the world.There's not enough offer to fill the demand, that's why Nintendo is leaving money in the table, they could charge more and have sold outs all over the place.Of course it's also a very shortcoming strategy, since it will leave a even big open hole for competition, but seems Patcher is likely adressing those issues from an investor point he dosn't care Nintendo could loss leadership in the portable gaming.

Mihos

Gold Member
DieH@rd said:
If im not mistaken, for us europens that is:
6AM GMT
7AM CET

Nice early morning present. :)

I will be in Coventry on the 27th, but I fully plan on sleeping in.
I am sure GAF will have a god summary on what comes of it all.

Eteric Rice

Relaxed Muscle said:
The thing is that even for 300$ there's going to be enough demand to drain all 3DS in the world.There's not enough offer to fill the demand, that's why Nintendo is leaving money in the table, they could charge more and have sold outs all over the place.Of course it's also a very shortcoming strategy, since it will leave a even big open hole for competition, but seems Patcher is likely adressing those issues from an investor point he dosn't care Nintendo could loss leadership in the portable gaming.

It would also cause bad press.

slider

duckroll said:
I don't think either will be the USP. These are just features which complement/enhance the USP. The main USP of the PSP2 will be the ability to deliver HD console like experiences on a portable both in terms of graphics (much higher resolution 3D, powerful GPU, great looking screen) and in terms of controls/features (dual analogs, online play over wifi or 3G).

Yeah, you're right. USP wasn't the term I should've used.

And whilst your analysis of a USP is fine, in terms of what I had meant to say... the OLED will be the thing that grabs people's attention. Much in the same way the UI was for the first iPhone and the 3D seems likely to be for the 3DS.

Sorry, confusion all round caused by my dog's ear bleeding and me not paying attention. He's all patched up now if anyone's wondering. : )

Afrikan

Takao said:
Cluster Bomb Cluster Bomb Cluster Bomb

It's sad that the story of Marcus Rivers is probably the best campaign the PSP has recieved by Sony here.

what's sad is your opinion on the matter...

I loved those ads with that dude, and judging from the comments section, so did alot of other people.

Marcus on the other hand. Yeah first time they showed him at E3, shit was horrible and I knew it was only going to get worse.

INPAQ

Neo Member
The biggest failure of the OG PSP, was the lack of internal promotion/support from Sony during its intial 2-years (post launch). If Sony can re-correct this core issue with the PSP-2, than I have no doubt it will reclaim the handheld-gaming throne.

Still, I'll be sticking with my Allah-Phone-4 for now.

Advertising-wise, Marcus was a giant mis-step and a bad interpretation of what made the Kevin Butler ads so successful (HINT: It was Kevin Butler). I hope Sony handles the PSP2 advertising a lot better than they have for the entire length of the PSP's life.

Top Bottom