• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PSP2 to sport 3g connectivity, OLED touchscreen

Snakeyes

You guys never learn. Nintendo decided to charge us out the ass for the 3DS because they read various forums and saw stuff like;

"I think that this should still retail at $200."

"What are you talking about, for what they're giving us $250 is a perfectly reasonable price."

"Screw that, I'd be willing to pay over $300 for this beauty."

"Take my money now, Nintendo. Just take it!"

Keep posting that you are expecting $250 - 300 if you don't want Sony to get any ideas.

Quixzlizx said:
The PS2 and the PSP did not launch at the same time.

And I didn't say they did.

It's silly to imply the price of inflation somehow then makes PS2 launch price parity with PSP launch price. Accounting for inflation PSP was priced better than a PS2 adjusted for inflation.

So what's your point?

The Take Out Bandit said:
What region are you in?

USA, PS2 launched @ $299.99
USA, PSP launched @ $249.99

So no, not in the United States.

don't think he's talking about launch price for the console. handheld being more expensive than whatever the current price of the console is. that's where i think the discussion is going.

PS3 is $300, so would it be weird if PSP2 was $300? c'mon pachter, lay it all out for me. im not a mathist.

as far as these rumored specs are concerned:
-wouldn't OLED save energy and drain battery less than the PSP screen?
-aren't 3G-only data plans for things like ipad and laptops with sim card slots still a little too expensive for the average consumer right now? my unlimited data + 300 minutes with tmobile is $60/mo. and their site says i can add a shitty 200mb 4G plan for $10 extra, or $50 for unlimited. >:|

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
don't think he's talking about launch price for the console. handheld being more expensive than whatever the current price of the console is. that's where i think the discussion is going.

Ah, well that makes sense as shiny new technology always costs more. At least, that's the business model I've gotten used to over the past ten years.

Not counting the Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I believe was priced higher than the similar Nintendo product at the time; but it also wasn't an all in one device that was a generational leap over the competition, re: PSP to NDS.

PSP2 @ $349.99 would hurt my wallet; and cool my jets for some time to come.

Quixzlizx

And I didn't say they did.

It's silly to imply the price of inflation somehow then makes PS2 launch price parity with PSP launch price. Accounting for inflation PSP was priced better than a PS2 adjusted for inflation.

So what's your point?

The discussion was about whether the the PSP2 launch price would be higher than the PS3's current price ($300).

The PS2 was $200 I believe when the PSP launched.

ElFly

Seems like the Nintendo DS costed more than the Gamecube at the moment when it launched ($150, vs $99 due to a recent price drop of the console).

Same thing with the PSP and the PS2, $200 (or $180?) vs $150.

So, the handhelds costing more than the home consoles is not unprecendented.

boiled goose

good with gravy
3G is a seriously exciting feature. Always connected" is going to be a standard feature in future handhelds for sure. I am interested to see what sony does with it. It might not be a bit early from a price/ infrastructure standpoint, but someone has to push tech boundaries!

The touchscreen is obviously nice. It is amazing though how a touch screen now seems like a staple in handheld gaming.

PSP2 @ $349.99 would hurt my wallet; and cool my jets for some time to come.

if the PSP2 launched at (price that the masses deem way too high like PS3's $600) and it had a huge impact on sales in the bad way, how long can we realistically expect sony to continue their high-priced electronics game? is it the japanese sector's philosophy? is it something that yet another shake up in the higher ups could fix?

i'm just trying to get an idea of how often sony admits that they had a bad way of doing things and then adjusts. if the PSP2 is a reflection of them changing their tune with the way they do business then awesome, but continuing their trend says a lot.

i just hope it turns out to be the former.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
if the PSP2 launched at (price that the masses deem way too high like PS3's $600) and it had a huge impact on sales in the bad way, how long can we realistically expect sony to continue their high-priced electronics game? is it the japanese sector's philosophy? is it something that yet another shake up in the higher ups could fix?

i'm just trying to get an idea of how often sony admits that they had a bad way of doing things and then adjusts. if the PSP2 is a reflection of them changing their tune with the way they do business then awesome, but continuing their trend says a lot.

i just hope it turns out to be the former.

The only frame of reference I have here is the PS3, which has the stink of failure about it; and that's not a route I'd like Sony to go down again. Read: Feature slashing from PSP2 to reduce prices.

Hopefully they learned their lesson with PS3, and their mouth writing checks their ass can't cash.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
julls said:
You can also guarantee that if a screen came out with higher resolution/PPI/whatever for the size than the Retina screen, people would be holding it up as some 'Apple-beating' tech.
Sony sells cameras with 450 PPI screens, and 300+PPI devices existed for years. People are not holding it up to anything because marketing isn't telling them to do so.

The only frame of reference I have here is the PS3
I see Phones and tablets from a large variety of manufacturers (Apple is not even the most expensive one anymore) that offer a similar price frame of reference IMO.
Whether Sony is willing to go after media-device market more then game-portable is not yet clear (but if various hw-rumours from memory to gazillion CPUs are true, I find it more likely then not). Ultimately they might be better off to shed the PSP name in that case though.

AAK

500x_psp222.jpg

Interesting

offshore

That's the form factor the PSP2 really needs to be. When you're not using it gaming, that design would function perfectly as a music player. I'd seriously consider ditching the iTouch if the PSP2 was like that.

But if they've gone back to the brick, then that obviously ain't gonna happen.

Shit would be too big to carry around as an MP3 player. Because you'd be carrying your phone as well. Two big things in pockets can't end well.

Kuran

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Shit would be too big to carry around as an MP3 player. Because you'd be carrying your phone as well. Two big things in pockets can't end well.

Argh. Why is this an issue nobody is bringing up with the 3DS? Why do I care what's in your pockets..

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-Pyromaniac- said:
I use my PSP as a MP3 player all the time. I just put my phone in the back pocket.

Kuran

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't see anyone claiming the 3DS would make a great music player...

But you can get Coins by carrying it around!

I wasn't feeling the PSPhone design, but this latest mockup kinda looks good for some reason. The brushed metal gives it an edge.. although I'm a sucker for Sony's all-white hardware. :/

seady

Since they launched the PSPgo at $250, people should be happy if the PSP2 is launch at $300 minimum.

As for features, I wish PSP2 can play all PSN games both from current PSP and PS3. If they do that, I will buy the PSP2 day 1, and also start to buy all my digital games from PSN instead of XBLA. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

BowieZ

Banned
I know it may sound silly, but would it not be smart for handheld gaming devices (presuming they don't make phone calls) to come with a special case or strap or connecting compartment that fits 95% of smart/phones? I know they could be sold by third party manufacturers, but it seems attractive/thoughtful to me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I really wish it was a clamshell like the 3DS. I don't like the brick design really. Come on announcements! I want some Syphon Filter love.

Oh, don't give a shit about media features of the thing. The only reason I would buy it is for games.

duckroll

BowieZ said:
I know it may sound silly, but would it not be smart for handheld gaming devices (presuming they don't make phone calls) to come with a special case or strap or connecting compartment that fits 95% of smart/phones?

Maybe if you're a girl or something. Real men just shove our phones into our pockets. We don't keep them in a purse! Why would I want my phone in another case or pouch which makes it even more out of reach when I can just have it in my pocket?!

Kuran

Banned
Router said:
I really wish it was a clamshell like the 3DS. I don't like the brick design really. Come on announcements! I want some Syphon Filter love.

Oh, don't give a shit about media features of the thing. The only reason I would buy it is for games.

Clamshell design would make it unnecesarily fat, and would leave a lot of wasted space on the bottom part. Plus it wouldn't work with a front facing touch-screen since you'd bust the hinge in no time.

Edit: real men don't use cellphones

NomarTyme

duckroll said:
Maybe if you're a girl or something. Real men just shove our phones into our pockets. We don't keep them in a purse! Why would I want my phone in another case or pouch which makes it even more out of reach when I can just have it in my pocket?!
I have the belt case thingy....nerdy!

cnizzle06

Banned
duckroll said:

Hey, don't go ruling out the ever useful fanny pack.

Top Bottom