• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nine Inch Nails just dropped GHOST V-VI.

Mar 27, 2008
Buffalo
goo.gl
So to clarify, there is a distinct different between NIN doing 'ambient' works now, and in the past. Think about DS-Fragile era. Things like a Warm Place, or the Still EP. A Warm Place was kind of crazy to me. It had a pulse with cool instrumentation, a hint of melody. Still is one of the best things they ever put out, in my opinion. Beautiful piano, acoustic instrumentation but very peaceful/melancholic, but also musical.

I haven't listened to Ghosts I-IV in years, so I can't recall what they all sound like. But I think Reznor and Ross are so very much one entity at this point, that they've merged all sides of their output. Their film scoring stuff is seeping into NIN. I personally wasn't impressed with the last few NIN albums either.

So far Ghosts V is good, but sounds like simple piano ambient/drone music. If I didn't know it was NIN I would never guess it was!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
So far Ghosts V is good, but sounds like simple piano ambient/drone music. If I didn't know it was NIN I would never guess it was!
It does have a calming quality like being with someone that makes you feel comfortable. I guess that's the reason for its name.

• Thoughtful

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
VI sometimes flirts with the good ol' Quake soundtrack vibe, but meh.
Unfortunately I don't like anything they made after Hesitation Marks... but With Teeth is my favourite, so what do I know?

• Fire

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
So to clarify, there is a distinct different between NIN doing 'ambient' works now, and in the past. Think about DS-Fragile era. Things like a Warm Place, or the Still EP. A Warm Place was kind of crazy to me. It had a pulse with cool instrumentation, a hint of melody. Still is one of the best things they ever put out, in my opinion. Beautiful piano, acoustic instrumentation but very peaceful/melancholic, but also musical.

I haven't listened to Ghosts I-IV in years, so I can't recall what they all sound like. But I think Reznor and Ross are so very much one entity at this point, that they've merged all sides of their output. Their film scoring stuff is seeping into NIN. I personally wasn't impressed with the last few NIN albums either.

There was a lot of good ambient stuff on the Bonus cd that came with their live album All That Could Have Been.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Definitely, it's calming, and I do like it. I like V better than VI at this point.

VI has some jazz trumpet going on, hahah.
After listening to both a couple of time I have to stick with Locusts as my favorite. It is for me much more interesting musically and has some really powerful moments.

Reactions: INDIGO_CYCLOPS