• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

The controls are fine on the dual shock, the LT is to aim the bow, and RT is to fire it.

Yesterday I got past Dagra Dia's 1st form finally with only using an herb of life, and then I was almost past the 2nd form when my wife got home from work. I made sure to use select and quit so that it would let me save, like I have done a bunch of other times, and to my horror when I started it back up I was back at his 1st form again. That is so fucking stupid. If I can continue from after beating him it should let me save there. It is such a great game but there are some really annoying decisions that they made to artificially boost the difficulty.

I like sigma 2 way more then NG2. 2 of the added characters are really good, they cut down a lot of the offscreen projectile spam, a few of the boss fights are different, the frame rate is amazing, and the online missions work perfect now and are so well done.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to say, really liking this version. Up to chapter 14 and it's great to play through this without slowdown. Even the infamous stair fight ran pretty smooth. They cut quite a bit, and luckily some annoying stuff as well, like the water combat in the volf chapter. I can see why purists'd prefer vanilla, but sigma is pretty damn fun to play through.
It's definitely easier though. Only Ayane's chapter offered a bit of a challenge. She seems like the weakest of the female characters, or I'm missing something.

The enma fang is such a fun weapon, but soo cheap and overpowered (at least on warrior).

Gore is awesome though, and I miss it. This version + gore from vanilla would get us pretty close to the definite NG II.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I like sigma 2 way more then NG2. 2 of the added characters are really good, they cut down a lot of the offscreen projectile spam, a few of the boss fights are different, the frame rate is amazing, and the online missions work perfect now and are so well done.

Same here, I said it before that I prefer Sigma 2 over NG2 ,more balanced overall and slower Ryu Hayabusa (more like NG1/NGB) also Ayane was freaking awesome (i'd buy an Ayane only game/dlc levels anytime), better looking game,better framerate ,better camera, more polish everywhere,I think it's really the superior version of NG2.

It gave me faith in Hayashi and the team..so I still can't believe how in hell they ruined NG3 completely :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Playing through Sigma 2, I can say that it is in fact really good, but the beauty of it is that NGII and Sigma 2 really are different games. And that's good because it basically means you have two different versions of a NG sequel to play and enjoy on their own merits.

I can actually see myself replaying BOTH versions, alternating, over the years from this point.

It's curious as it is like seeing the same basic design document for a game executed by two different groups, able to contrast them.

Same here, I said it before that I prefer Sigma 2 over NG2 ,more balanced overall and slower Ryu Hayabusa (more like NG1/NGB) also Ayane was freaking awesome (i'd buy an Ayane only game/dlc levels anytime), better looking game,better framerate ,better camera, more polish everywhere,I think it's really the superior version of NG2.

It gave me faith in Hayashi and the team..so I still can't believe how in hell they ruined NG3 completely :(

I still believe that most of NG3's problems stem from intentional design decisions rather than lack of ability, coupled with an inadequate budget and dev cycle.

NGII was an epic, sprawling game. Sigma 2 built on that.

By comparison NG3 feels like something given half the money, staff, and time.

I still believe that most of NG3's problems stem from intentional design decisions rather than lack of ability, coupled with an inadequate budget and dev cycle.

NGII was an epic, sprawling game. Sigma 2 built on that.

By comparison NG3 feels like something given half the money, staff, and time.

I think you are 100% right about the lack of budget killing NG3. Some of the problems come from terrible decisions but I think if they had a guy like Itagaki there who could demand more time/money if could have been a really good game.

Curufinwe

The controls are fine on the dual shock, the LT is to aim the bow, and RT is to fire it.

Which is a massive improvement from the bow controls in NGB on the Xbox.

I really enjoyed NGS2, I just wish the trophy requirements weren't so punitive. 500 kills per weapon and per female character would be much more reasonable than a thousand.

Which is a massive improvement from the bow controls in NGB on the Xbox.

I really enjoyed NGS2, I just wish the trophy requirements weren't so punitive. 500 kills per weapon and per female character would be much more reasonable than a thousand.

Yeah I have the 1000 kills with all weapons but the kasumi gari. Man it is so fucking time consuming to get some of them.

SHAZOOM

Yeah I have the 1000 kills with all weapons but the kasumi gari. Man it is so fucking time consuming to get some of them.

You know, I've been mixing it up with the Kusari Gama, and its got some decent insta kill/delimb throws:

[],[], ->/\ will insta delimb on ninja/human sized enemies and will continua a straight line combo if you keep pushing /\

[],[],[], ->[] will give you a replacement for the Izuna Drop where Ryu will put the enemy into a strangle hold over his should and flying head drop for instakill.

Also the UT for this thing is ridiculous. Large area of effect, hits everything mulitiple times and generally will either delimb or kill anything caught in it.

Yeah I do like the UT for it. I have seen people online use it to just destroy bosses but I just havent put the time into it to be good with it. I will definitely try it out more once I finish MNM.

MechaX

Sigma 2 worth diving in if I already have NG2 on 360?

If you can find it for a pretty cost effective price, I would say that it's worth it. It takes away a lot of the more effective things NG2 did (windmill shuriken, Tests of Valor, blood, enemy amount) and fixes some of NG2's problems (projectile spam everywhere, some horrendous bosses). It adds quite a few things, some being pretty good additions, like Momiji and Ayane segments, chapter select and online co-op, the new heavy sword, and a new dragon boss, but also adds some things that really just leave you scratching your head (Rachel, removal of successive play and most of the weapon upgrading, massive increase on enemy health, a gun weapon which is actually quite useless, and identical, non-fun giant statute bosses).

I would say diving into Sigma 2 wouldn't hurt. But it would emphasize that the best version of NG2 period is somewhere between the two versions.

Top Bottom