• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Pimpbaa

Kabuki Waq said:
if you dont know what you are talking about....

How can I not know what I am talking about? I owned NG2 and just recently played the NGS 2 demo. The only people that care about this are the freaks that get off on gratuitous amounts of gore. The gameplay is as tight as ever and that is all that fucking matters.

Kai Ozu said:
I think people that want the gore back should make themselves heard, because the next game in the series is most likely going to be on both platforms and if you don’t want to see the series move in this direction, tell them. Hayashi said as much, he said the team wants as much feedback as they can possibly get for this game.

I think a big reason for the umm.. "move" is that the game's rating (360 ver) kept it off shelves in japan, this very likely hurt sales. Money talks, man.

loved the demo! The fact that there are a lot less of those cheap projectile spamming makes this my favorite version already.

I hope the co-op is really fun because this is what I am primarily double-dipping for.

Angelus Errare said:
I've never understood the God of War comparison. God of War's main focus was NEVER about the combat engine. It's whole claim to fame was it's story and over the top brutality.

When NG1 came out no one was like "ZOMG this story is so epic! and he's killin teh peoplez and beating them with their armz!! COOOOOL!!"

No people who actually knew how to play NG past mashing a plethora of buttons like dumbasses were saying something like. "Man the combat system is so damn deep and this game is unforgiving. You actually need to know how to play in order to get anywhere. The combat is very satisfying, the game is very balanced."

Or "Shit I just fought doppleganger Ryu! Best battle EVER!"

So like I said, if your whole reason for playing NG2 was for the blood, then Mortal Kombat would be the next game for you. The novelty of ZOMG BLUD EVERYWHERE! wore off for me 15 mins into the game.

I think people are clinging on this whole "I needz teh blud!" because when we get down to it NG2 wasn't nearly as polished and balanced as NG1. So they have nothing else to fall back on.

From what I've played of the demo, NGS2 is trying to bring back that NG1 balance and polish. So yeah Hayashi gets it, because that's why most people became NG fans was because of the gameplay. If you like NG because of NG2s blood, then congratulations you're pretty much missing the point of the game, and you can always play NG2 vanilla. NGS2 does not change NG2. So if the lack of blood is that annoying to you, I suggest spending less time bitching about it and more time being on your 360 and playing the version with blood.

I'll take NG's essence over some superficial shit anyday.

My .02 cents

This post really nails it

Angelus Errare said:
I've never understood the God of War comparison. God of War's main focus was NEVER about the combat engine. It's whole claim to fame was it's story and over the top brutality.

When NG1 came out no one was like "ZOMG this story is so epic! and he's killin teh peoplez and beating them with their armz!! COOOOOL!!"

No people who actually knew how to play NG past mashing a plethora of buttons like dumbasses were saying something like. "Man the combat system is so damn deep and this game is unforgiving. You actually need to know how to play in order to get anywhere. The combat is very satisfying, the game is very balanced."

So like I said, if your whole reason for playing NG2 was for the blood, then Mortal Kombat would be the next game for you. The novelty of ZOMG BLUD EVERYWHERE! wore off for me 15 mins into the game.

I think people are clinging on this whole "I needz teh blud!" because when we get down to it NG2 wasn't nearly as polished and balanced as NG1. So they have nothing else to fall back on.

From what I've played of the demo, NGS2 is trying to bring back that NG1 balance and polish. So yeah Hayashi gets it, because that's why most people became NG fans was because of the gameplay. If you like NG because of NG2s blood, then congratulations you're pretty much missing the point of the game, and you can always play NG2 vanilla. NGS2 does not change NG2. So if the lack of blood is that annoying to you, I suggest spending less time bitching about it and more time being on your 360 and playing the version with blood.

My .02 cents

No one is saying Blood was the whole point of NG2. You need to read my posts. Blood however did ADD to the feel of the combat.

God fo War was also about the combat but it also had a decent story and awesome level design.

ElyrionX

iconoclast said:
No, just toned them waaaaaaay down.

What does that mean? There's less of them? They fire at a slower rate? They do less damage?

I stopped playing when I reach that chapter with those soldiers that fired off volleys of rockets rapidly. They were cheap as hell and it just wasn't fun fighting them at all.

Mrbob

For those who have played NG2 on Xbox 360, I can see the lack of blood as a tough thing to let go. I'm currently replaying NG2 on 360 and have to admit I do miss it as well in Sigma 2. With all the visceral feel of the combat it does seem weird to slash off a head or leg and see it fade into purple mist. It is not necessarily good or bad, it is just different and might be something I have to get used too. When I first played NG2 on xbox, the whole bloody chunks aspect turned me off of the game. If you haven't played NG2 on 360, this won't be a huge deal. I think a lot of the processing power went into the dismemberment setting for NG2 xbox, so I don't think we'll see it back in sigma. The extra processing power went into the graphics.

Let me say, after playing the sigma 2 demo a couple more times I don't know if I would want to trade the graphics in favor of more blood. As the game looks nice. Damn nice. It definitely looks a couple steps ahead of the 360 version. Textures, models, everything is so crisp and vibrant. I've been playing it 1080p upscaled as well and while there is some screen tearing I can deal with it. I'm enjoying the rebalanced gameplay too. The game is still challenging, but not obscenely difficult like NG2 xbox. Mapping the bow to L2 is a good change too, and the fact you can move while holding the bow is great. I never liked choosing between my bow and other projectile weapons, and now I don't have too! Without the blood and excessive body limbs lying about the combat is still as brutal as ever. Combo timing seems to be more lenient in sigma 2, making it easier to pull off the bigger combos with more efficiency.

The ayane mission was nice and I like the co op missions as well. I'm going to finish NG2 on 360 first and once I do I'll grab sigma 2.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the game was only slightly censored for the combat with humans? If you are fighting fiends, do you still see the blood and limbs flying off of them?

Kai Ozu

Loudninja said:
Move? NG2 is the only one with the tons of blood.

But for 360 users only, they won’t know what is going on. We are still in NG2 limbo before the next game so it is still relevant to ask people what flavor of Ninja Gaiden they like better. People that are going to play both versions I feel are more equipped to give their opinion.

MoFuzz

Impressions of the NA demo. Comparing it to the 360 version, which I completed on Warrior.

-Visuals are much improved in Sigma 2, the bump up to 1280x720 with 2xAA really makes it look a lot sharper. Lighting is definitely better, and even some textures seem to have been given a bump up as well.

-Noticed a few new sounds, mostly little grunts by the enemy ninjas and weapon sounds.

-I'm not sure about this, but it seemed like certain throws can now be blocked by Ryu. I guess this will help to alleviate some of the complaints of cheapness.

-Projectile spam has been reduced, which I like.

-Speed of the game is slower, enemies fewer and they telegaph their moves for what seems like an eternity.

-Claw ninjas are now treated as a pack of mini-bosses with ridiculous amounts of health - they can survive an izuna drop for fuck's sake.

-Slowdown was my number one gripe with the first one, you literally had to slow down your button presses to play the game at times. I hope the final version has improved performance in this regard, because the demo was slowing down quite often, including the first fight where you are surrounded. It's quite noticable just about every time you go for an Izuna Drop.

On the whole, it seemed like the difficulty has been dialed down quite a bit, though I'm sure having level 3 weapons in the first chapter has something to do with it. :lol

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the added blood and gore, it does add something to the game, but if they can alleviate the slowdown for the final game at least, I'm down.

rmecgn

Neo Member
Angelus Errare said:

My .02 cents

excellent post

ultim8p00

Banned
Angelus Errare said:

My .02 cents

You are forgetting that NGII and NGB are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT games. Any hardcore NGB player will tell you this. In fact, NGII moves more into the direction of God of War while retaining an incredibly deep combat system, which is why the blood is more of a big deal than it was in NGB.

Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II are two different beasts. Ninja Gaiden was more about finesse and tactical combat, while Ninja Gaiden II is more about sheer and blunt brutality. You can really see this in the way they improved the moveset. You get 3 flying swallows, and you get combos that have much longer strings and deal more hits per move than Ninja Gaiden ever had. This suggests that you are supposed to be slaughtering people left and right, and is even evident with the sometimes ridiculous amount of enemies thrown at you. The blood compliments this brutality very well. Removing the blood, while not a complete dealbreaker, does take away from this feeling.

These two videos illustrate my point very well:

Here is a skilled player playing Ninja Gaiden 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfE1Nm3Hvw

And here is a skilled player playing Ninja Gaiden Black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrOEzcgtjeE

Both videos are at equivalent difficulty levels. You can clearly see that the two games are not the same.

The problem with Sigma 2 is that it's trying to be more like NGB, but Ryu's moveset is too overpowering to allow for that. With 3 enemies onscreen in NGB, you had to watch your back because the wrong move will send you into a long recovery frame and you'd get your ass handed to you. In NGII, there are many more moves, and moves are a lot more flexible, meaning you can take care of 3 enemies with ease without having to worry about what you are doing. NGII remedied this by throwing many enemies at you, which works very well and gives it a different feel. Sigma 2 just feels...so easy. It's fun, but the visceral feeling is all but gone. The combat engine is there and it is still as incredibly satisfying as ever, but that rush is gone. Taking out the blood just accentuates the issue.

Kabuki Waq said:
No one is saying Blood was the whole point of NG2. You need to read my posts. Blood however did ADD to the feel of the combat.

God fo War was also about the combat but it also had a decent story and awesome level design.

No, they kinda of fucking are. People are barely talking about the combat, 99% of the bitching has been blood. People are rarely commenting on anything else NGS2 has brought to the table. All I ever read is blood blood blood blood blood, like a bunch of twilight bitches.

And no God of War's main draw has never been about it's combat system, don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise. People (including myself) bought God of War for 2 things. The awesome story and seeing people get ripped in half. I highly doubt people bought God of War looking for some deep combat system. If they did.......that's sad because there are much deeper combat based games out there. It's like trying to become an olympic swimmer by swimming in the kiddie pool.

Fuck...torn on whether or not to buy this.

First NG Sigma on PS3 is my favorite game ever, but when I played NG2 on 360 I got fed up about halfway through mostly due to the shitty framerate and projectiles coming at me from off-screen.

If this version is really that much improved, I might pick it up...

Guess I should give the demo a spin.

Mrbob

Yeah you play Ninja Gaiden in this order:

1)Combat
2)Combat
3)Combat
4)Story

You play God of War for this:

1)Story
2)Massive set pieces
3)Combat

I enjoy both series (Gow collection and GoW3 on preorder already!) but while they are both action games, they are very different.

One thing I forgot to mention is the camera. I need to double check, but if I remember right the camera is pushed out further in sigma 2...which helps to see the enemies in your surroundings better. I still take a ton of cheap shots in NG2 xbox by not seeing the enemy.

Oh and the lack of bloody dismemberments is not a good reason to skip sigma 2, especially if you have never played NG2. Even if you do miss it, the fact the gameplay isn't as cheap anymore is a reason to look into this if you are a huge ninja gaiden fan.

edit: Jack Random you read my mind. :lol

Any tips on performing Izuna drops? Believe it or not, I've beaten NG on Xbox, Sigma on PS3 and most of Sigma on hard difficulty without ever successfully pulling off this move.

I feel like I should really man up and learn it...

Mrbob

Izuna drop is pretty easy to do. Trying to remember...

I think its X, Y, X, X, Y...?

Or on PS3...

Square, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle

Give it a shot!

Izuna drop is pretty easy to do. Trying to remember...

I think its X, Y, X, X, Y...?

Or on PS3...

Square, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle

Give it a shot!

This is the move where Ryu grabs the enemy and jumps up in the air and does kind of a spinning piledriver, right?

yeah, never done that. I think I pulled one off in one of the DOA games once. Is this move really that badass?

And what's the timing- do you hit the button sequence in the air, or just as a combo ont he ground? It's weird- I'm actually pretty fucking good at NG but I've never been able to nail this move, even when I actively try. Don't know why I can't get it...

Angelus Errare said:
No, they kinda of fucking are. People are barely talking about the combat, 99% of the bitching has been blood. People are rarely commenting on anything else NGS2 has brought to the table. All I ever read is blood blood blood blood blood, like a bunch of twilight bitches.

When did I say anything like blood is the point of NG2? can you quote me anywhere? hell has anyone else said that? You seem to be the one acting like a touchy twilight bitch in this thread.

The reason everyone is commenting on the blood is that it the most in your face difference between the games right now.

ultim8p00

Banned
Gekko87 said:
What I remember from NGII was not the blood but how unbalanced and brutally hard it was.

Fuck that armadillo

Especially flaming enraged mode on MNM. God help you if you get both of them pissed off at the same time.

Kabuki Waq said:
When did I say anything like blood is the point of NG2? can you quote me anywhere? hell has anyone else said that?

The reason everyone is commenting on the blood is that it the most in your face difference between the games right now.

Can you quote me where I said "Kabuki keeps talking about blood?" Cause I'm still caught up on how you equate "people" with "Kabuki"

Angelus Errare said:
Can you quote me where I said "Kabuki keeps talking about blood?" Cause I'm still caught up on how you equate "people" with "Kabuki"

well you qouted ME for some reason. So I was the one replying. Also who are the other ppl that have said blood is the point of the game?

Mrbob

Yeah this is the izuna drop. It helps if you are surrounded by enemies. As you crash the enemy into the ground it creates splash damage that knocks the other enemies back and gives you an opening for an attack. After you hit square and triangle ryu slashes the enemy into the air, and he will auto jump. This is when you hit square two more times to inflict more damage and then triangle to finish him off with the izuna drop. I don't remember if you can do this without slashing him a couple times first.

You can also izuna drop off of counter.

If you time it right you can hold block and Y (or block and triangle on PS3) and you will slice the enemy in the air. If you are quick hit X (or square on PS3) two times and then Y (Triangle on PS3) again and you can izuna drop for the finish.

Kabuki Waq said:
well you qouted ME for some reason. So I was the one replying. Also who are the other ppl that have said blood is the point of the game?

I quoted you for God of War hence me responding about God of War before I went back to my previous talk.

wait also Twilight is the movie with the pretty Vampires with no blood? right?

why would ppl who want blood be called twilight bitches? :lol

Also again where are these people who said blood is the whole point of NG2?

oblo

Just downloaded and played through the demo, team mission was a bit chaotic but might be fun online if you got a friend to play with, other that I'm just loving it. Bring on next week!

ElyrionX said:
What does that mean? There's less of them? They fire at a slower rate? They do less damage?

I stopped playing when I reach that chapter with those soldiers that fired off volleys of rockets rapidly. They were cheap as hell and it just wasn't fun fighting them at all.

Judging from the demo, there's only a few rocket ninjas total (and they only appeared on Mentor) and only two bow ninjas total (I think), so it looks like they cut back on them drastically.

Incendiary Shuriken ninjas have had the biggest changes: you fight only two of them at a time, they throw their exploding shurikens far less, they throw only one at a time (as opposed to 1-3 in NG2) and they have a lot more health. They're basically treated as mid-bosses now, it seems.

So basically, projectiles got cut down quite a bit.

Loudninja

iconoclast said:
Judging from the demo, there's only a few rocket ninjas total (and they only appeared on Mentor) and only two bow ninjas total (I think), so it looks like they cut back on them drastically.

Incendiary Shuriken ninjas have had the biggest changes: you fight only two of them at a time, they throw their exploding shurikens far less, they throw only one at a time (as opposed to 1-3 in NG2) and they have a lot more health. They're basically treated as mid-bosses now, it seems.

So basically, projectiles got cut down quite a bit.

Yeah reviews are also claim the game is still hard.

Fantasmo

Angelus Errare said:

Ninja Gaiden 2's claim to fame was its over the top brutality and central focus on combat by Itagaki's own admission.

Angelus Errare said:

That's because it wasn't the focus. Regardless, I'm sure there were more than a few that were disappointed with the censored versions.

Angelus Errare said:

NG1 was a good mix of gameplay elements. NG2 was battle after battle.

It was there for a reason. It was axed because somebody made a lousy decision.

Yeah obviously! If you're going to be a one trick pony, excite me and do it very very well. Don't mask what the original intent was by censoring the shit out of the game.

But he doesn't get it. The adventure elements were all but removed. The combat became the focus. The blood and gore was included as visual oomph. It was meant to be brutal, not purple and a lot less red. How am I missing the point when things were so obviously changed going from part 1 to part 2? How are YOU not missing the point? It's mind boggling.

And I'm totally fine bitching about it because it's my way of making it clear that I don't and never will enjoy the censoring of the graphics. Purple smoke is just dumb.

Angelus Errare said:

The essence of NG1 wasn't lost. The essence of NG2 is.

And by the way, I'm perfectly fine playing games without gore. Just look at my avatar for an example. That doesn't mean I enjoy watching R rated movies on regular network stations. I prefer the noncensored versions.

Angelus Errare said:
My .02 cents

Mine too.

Whoompthereitis said:
Any tips on performing Izuna drops? Believe it or not, I've beaten NG on Xbox, Sigma on PS3 and most of Sigma on hard difficulty without ever successfully pulling off this move.

I feel like I should really man up and learn it...

See mrbob's post. It is a timing issue. The only other advice I would give is go into a few fights with the only intention being to hit the izuna drop until you do. Square, Triangle, pause, Square, Square, Triangle.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
prodystopian said:
See mrbob's post. It is a timing issue. The only other advice I would give is go into a few fights with the only intention being to hit the izuna drop until you do. Square, Triangle, pause, Square, Square, Triangle.

Its really not that difficult at all, on a 360 controller, and if you are fighting a single enemy practice this:

X+A and then hit A again to jump on an enemies head, this is called "Wind Pathing" this is an essential move for all experienced players, and it auto-targets close enemies...right after you wind path, go into the combo set for a Dragon Sword Izuna Drop, X,Y,XXX,Y. No pauses at all, this will do an izuna drop everytime, as long as your combo string is not broken.

Hope that helps!!

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, I'm thinking about picking up the first Sigma after playing this demo. What changes does it have over NG: Black?
- Improved graphics, both in textures and models. The biggest changes are in the first chapters, but it's always there.
- A larger variety of enemies. This includes new regulars, minibosses, and bosses.
- More weapons.
- D-pad selection/use of items. This is a great addition.
- Easier use of the bow.
- Levels very slightly changed/puzzles removed and replaced with combat.
- Several levels using Rachel. She's much slower than Ryu and they're mandatory, so some folks hate these. I found them merely okay. They don't have much new in them, just small extended areas, etc.
- More loading. Definitely not good, but usually it's not a big deal; they're typically just short hiccups. If you get in a fight near where a mid-level load happens, though, it's annoying as hell.
- Some tearing. When installed, it's not horrible, but it's disappointing after Black.
- Sixaxis amplification of Ninpo. GAME-CHANGING!!! :D

The absolute worst thing about Sigma is that they didn't re-render the CG movies for HD, so they look like absolute shit upscaled--much worse than the game itself, actually.

DR2K

Banned
The fact that in Sigma 2 I leave my enemies dismembered and have pools of blood everywhere and people still complaining about lack of gore is almost kind of sad in a way.

You just took a guys arm off and you still don't feel like your attack is as effective? SERIOUSLY?!

kuYuri

prodystopian said:

You don't have to pause after the first triangle.

Yeah, add me to the list of people really bummed out by the blood loss. The combat loses a bit of the visual impact without it. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, though. What IS a dealbreaker, however, is the camera. They didn't fix it at all! It was bad enough when I played NG2 back in January; it's completely unacceptable now.

I'll probably still double dip because I love me some NG and I can't play my copy of NG2 because of the whole "Xbox is dead" issue and since I only spent $10 on the game in the first place, the cost of double-dipping is negligible, but I'm probably going to wait for it to drop down to $40. To see that they couldn't be bothered to fix the one thing that almost completely destroyed the original release and makes the game way harder than it should be is disconcerting and doesn't really instill confidence in the rest of the game. :\

DR2K

Banned
You know you can press L1 and you'll get the angle that you need from the camera. It's not hard and it works.

DR2K said:
You know you can press L1 and you'll get the angle that you need from the camera. It's not hard and it works.
Obviously not well enough for my tastes, otherwise I wouldn't be so aggravated by it. It also doesn't help that when I finally get an angle I like, it doesn't stay in it when I decide to detach from the right stick.

DR2K

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Obviously not well enough for my tastes, otherwise I wouldn't be so aggravated by it. It also doesn't help that when I finally get an angle I like, it doesn't stay in it when I decide to detach from the right stick.

Well the enemies don't like to stay around in one place(and neither should you). My advice press L1 more often, while you block or dash. Learn to habitually do it, and your complaints will go away.

DR2K said:
Well the enemies don't like to stay around in one place(and neither should you). My advice press L1 more often, while you block or dash. Learn to habitually do it, and your complaints will go away.

This is very true.

There are very few third-person action games that have good cameras, and those that do, have static cameras.

Pachinko

Well guys, it's only a few more days now, hopefully there is no bullshit french manual delay in canada ... or just a generic shipping delay. I want to be playing this game next week BEFORE thursday.

I will play through the whole thing on warrior and post a nice comparisn with the 360 version as soon as I'm able.

The topic of gore will always be an issue, especially for gamers that bought a 360 to play ninja gaiden 2 that are pissed off their 'exclusive' game went to the competition and is pretty much improved in every way. You know what though? I'm one of those people- I bought a 360 for DOA4 with the knowledge that inevitablly NG2 would be on that platform. I wasn't dissapointed with the game really, it certainly had its flaws (lots of them) but I had a fun time with it overall. It also came out nearly a year and a half ago and I finished it, the ps3 versions existance won't erase NG2 from my memory nor will my copy cease to exist next week.

Basically , if anything in the new version ultimatly pisses me off I can always get rid of it and just play the 360 version instead. This includes the lack of gore- yeah, honestly it doesn't make the gameplay any different to see 30 gallons of blood fly off wounds along with 3 or 4 chunks of beef and a couple limbs but it's a bit more satisfying. The thing is though, playing without it there , the game still pretty much plays and feels the same as before. it's also not like the voilence is just gone either, there's still blood caking the ground, arms and legs fly off, torsos are seperated from legs , if playing the us version you still have decapitations, there's even still a fair bit of blood coming off the wounds. It's just a petty thing to complain about and people who have seriously played both versions that are still bitching should really just stay out of the sigma 2 thread, it's not for them and chances are it never was.

d0c_zaius

neojubei said:
Funny how the reviews (particularly IGN) did not touch on that.

yea to anyone that played NG2, it would be an obvious point to address. especially if they went back and fixed some other frame rate issues.

makes me nervous about the quality of the port.....

Top Bottom