• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

some more comparison shots here

it seems that NGS2 is a lot more than just a port :D

NG2vsSigma_03.jpg

NG2vsSigma_04.jpg

NG2vsSigma_07.jpg

NG2vsSigma_08.jpg

NG2vsSigma_09.jpg

NG2vsSigma_10.jpg

NG2vsSigma_11.jpg

NG2vsSigma_12.jpg

NG2vsSigma_13.jpg

NG2vsSigma_14.jpg

NG2vsSigma_15.jpg

NG2vsSigma_16.jpg

NG2vsSigma_17.jpg

NG2vsSigma_18.jpg

NG2vsSigma_19.jpg

NG2vsSigma_20.jpg

It looks like a brand new game. The IGN review made it out to be not so different with the same ol' camera and cookie cutter extra levels but after seeing that... I don't know. I just went from wanting to buy a PS3 for this, to not wanting after IGN's review, to wanting buy one again.

Siyou said:
so is it better than black??
I love NG2 as much as the next man, but I don't see how one can say that it's better than NGB. Even with the improved move set and combat it falls short. It'd be safe to say that not very many of us have played NGS2 in its entirety, so I don't see how the argument can be made for that, either.

What's great about Master Ninja is that it really accentuates one of the core values of the NG series. That is, to stay alert and on your toes. The fact that a single throw or grab can be the death of you just serves to reinforce this. More than once I've been in a groove, making short work of everything in my path, only to drop my guard for a split second and/or lose track of who I've de-limbed and it was game over. It can be annoying, but it's also the best kind of punishment for cocky or sloppy play and I wouldn't have it any other way. That said, I still wish I could start fresh right from Mentor. After beating a game like NG or Resistance I immediately start a second play-through, at increased difficulty, the moment the credits end. I really want to see how things feel using level 1 weapons on the smaller, but healthier, enemy packs and see how things ramp up.

Darkpen

Banned
Wow

That's fucking incredible D: What's the IGN reviewer's name? Is he a known Xbot or something? Dude's name needs to get blacklisted on GAF.
DarknessTear said:
Those comparisons are like night and day. Hurr hurr.
:lol :lol :lol

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Impressive improvements. It looks like memory did not serve me well, as I thought NG2 was better looking than this. When I played throught the demo, I thought the only vastly different improvements were the water effects. Looks that there are more improvements that I thought.

DR2K

Banned
MazingerDUDE said:

Wow. They redid a and added a ton of textures. If you had any doubts before this should be conclusive.

Elios83

MazingerDUDE said:

comparison screens

I love how such a difference is called ''slightly better graphics'' by a few reviewers.
They have remade the shaders and textures in Sigma 2.

Alex

I remember NG2 looking better than that too, huh.

Sigma 2 destroys it though. It looks like they basically remade most of the game.

BeeDog

/a bit off-topic

I don't know if anyone else works this way, but I have a very strange OCD-thing when it comes to games and ports. If two ports are identical content-wise, but one port (most often the PS3 one) blows chunks compared to the other one, I am extremely wary of buying it, outside of a couple of must-haves (like GTA4 and RE5 when they were released).

BUT, if the PS3 port (I use this example since I only have a PS3) has exclusive content over the other one (á la this game and Arkham Asylum), I couldn't care less if it's worse performance/graphics-wise than the 360 port, I'll still buy it without hesitation. In short, more-content ports > worse-graphics-ports, and with that, I probably won't give a rat's ass about the staircase slowdown. ;p (although it still might annoy me if it's still in there)

BeeDog said:
/a bit off-topic

I don't know if anyone else works this way, but I have a very strange OCD-thing when it comes to games and ports. If two ports are identical content-wise, but one port (most often the PS3 one) blows chunks compared to the other one, I am extremely wary of buying it, outside of a couple of must-haves (like GTA4 and RE5 when they were released).

BUT, if the PS3 port (I use this example since I only have a PS3) has exclusive content over the other one (á la this game and Arkham Asylum), I couldn't care less if it's worse performance/graphics-wise than the 360 port, I'll still buy it without hesitation. In short, more-content ports > worse-graphics-ports, and with that, I probably won't give a rat's ass about the staircase slowdown. ;p (although it still might annoy me if it's still in there)

Pretty much the same here. Though I don't really care about graphics or slowdown, most of the stuff people on here proclaim as game breaking I don't even see.

Replicant

MazingerDUDE said:

Looks awesome.

Now can someone please tell me if the Japanese version would be any different from US or Europe? Otherwise I'd just get the Japanese version.

DarknessTear said:
Those comparisons are like night and day.

Hurr hurr.

:lol :lol :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MazingerDUDE said:

NGS2 uses a completely different engine ( Sigma engine ) than the one used for NG2 ( upgraded DOAX engine ) , and have redesigned levels and many other shit , so it's not fair to call it a port, remake is more accurate imo

rvy

Banned
Here's hoping they ditched those gross fish enemies from the lake in Chapter 9, I really disliked that shit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
iconoclast said:
Reviews also docked points from NG2 because Acolyte was too hard. Doesn't really mean a whole lot.

The demo was significantly easier.

NG2's acolyte was hard for reviewers ? really ? :lol

Hayashi should have put super easy pink ribbons mode ( like what in Sigma 1 ) in the review code for them

Miburou

Can someone remind me what Black has over vanilla NG1? I only played that (back in the day) and then bought NGS but never completed it (mainly because the save file was not transferable).

Shikashi said:
Here's hoping they ditched those gross fish enemies from the lake in Chapter 9, I really disliked that shit.

Yes, they are horrible. I still have nightmares about standing on the edge of the land with a charged Scythe UT waiting for one of them to jump through the air. Actually, I still have nightmares about NG2 karma runs in general.

Hayashi fails for not (at least) bringing back timed encounters.

rvy

Banned
iconoclast said:
Yes, they are horrible. I still have nightmares about standing on the edge of the land with a charged Scythe UT waiting for one of them to jump through the air. Actually, I still have nightmares about NG2 karma runs in general.

Hayashi fails for not (at least) bringing back timed encounters.
There's a blindspot in the water actually, it's easier to kill them that way.
They're still fucking gross, though. Seriously. Every time I get to that part I just turn the console off.

Shikashi said:
There's a blindspot in the water actually, it's easier to kill them that way.
They're still fucking gross, though. Seriously. Every time I get to that part I just turn the console off.

Yeah, there's a little area in the water that they can't get to for some reason. Easy way to get the 100 hit combo achievement actually...

They're torturous when you're trying to milk them for karma though. It takes several Scythe UT's as they slowly jump through the air to kill just one of them. And then there's the river in chapter
14(?)

Ricker

Demo is awesome...i'm not the best NG player,even if I finsihed NG on the XBox but I love the fast crazy action.I got the beat going in the last section with Ayane in the demo and man,nothing beats the NG engine for action like this.Never finished 2,found it too hard but I may get this one now.

Kabuki Waq said:
yes blood is not going to be in the game and that does have a negative effect on the game. you just seem to be dismissing the complaints from the get go. I will question why blood is not in the US version of the game. Clearly ps3 could handle it so why not?

oh btw you dont have to reply.

Quite obvious, they already have a game finished, and they don't feel like going back in to add some alpha textures just to appease a few blood fans?

Am I dismissing it? Yes because you fucks have been spamming this blood shit for the last 13 pages in this thread, and 20 pages in the other thread.....basically......shit is fucking old now, we're tired of it. You need to get over it, and no it does not have a negative effect on the combat, it has a negative affect on the visual appeal. Nothing more, nothing less.

So people can either keep clamoring for blood, or actually talk about the other aspects of the game....your choice. Would it make you feel better if you had a tag that said "I need blood in NGS2!"?

I mean there is soooo much to talk about in regards to NG2S vs NG2, but I'm willing to bet a ban if we did a search between both NGS2 threads, blood or the lack of would be the most talked about subject by a far margin.

Danielsan

I downloaded the European demo and dumped the Japanese one. Glad to see there are at least decapitations in the European one. Even if you still don't see jack shit.

Are there any difference between the US and Euro demos?

USD

Miburou said:
Can someone remind me what Black has over vanilla NG1? I only played that (back in the day) and then bought NGS but never completed it (mainly because the save file was not transferable).
Numerous balancing tweaks
New enemies
New weapon (the Lunar)
New costumes
Ninja Dog and Master Ninja difficulty levels
Mission Mode
Ninja Gaiden Arcade (but is missing the NG Trilogy of the original)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DarknessTear said:
Those comparisons are like night and day.

Hurr hurr.
I'm dying :lol :lol :lol

Dra-Q said:
Very nice pics of Sigma 2. Team Hayashi > Team Itagaki.
That's a real bold statement...
I mean NGII was made when the fellow has one foot out the door of his employer, and with a third of the development time NG had.
Black is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm not sure I'd put Sigma1 over it.

Hats off for them redoing the textures, but is it fair to call it a visual improvement if you take into account the lack of A.I. actors and particle effects on screen at the same time? Not that I know anything about how graphics processing works :lol

rvy

Banned
Just remembered this, the dragons from Chapter 9, they used to be twin dragons or whatever it was, now I only see one black dragon instead of 2 white dragons. Did they change the boss fight?
I'm not complaining btw, I think it's for the better.

Dra-Q said:
Very nice pics of Sigma 2. Team Hayashi > Team Itagaki.

Yes, an hour's worth of scaling and bump mapping textures and setting up some lights finally proves the New Team Ninja has surpassed the one that designed the damn game.

Shikashi said:
Just remembered this, the dragons from Chapter 9, they used to be twin dragons or whatever it was, now I only see one black dragon instead of 2 white dragons. Did they change the boss fight?
I'm not complaining btw, I think it's for the better.

Yeah, that's what it looks like at least. The small bit of footage they've shown of the new dragon actually looked pretty good, so I'm actually looking forward to facing him. The dual gold dragons are so horrible. On Master Ninja they even have infinite-respawning flying dragons that shoot fireballs at you from off-screen the entire time. You can get around that by just keeping one of them alive, but still, it's awful.

Now all they need to do is remake the entire first half of that chapter.

angelfly

Are the campaigns for the other characters unlocked from the start or do I have to play through to unlock them? I mainly want to pick it up for the other characters.

StuBurns

Banned
Just saw the comparison shots, it's an impressive upgrade indeed. In areas it's a bigger upgrade than Sigma was from Black sickeningly enough.

StuBurns

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Hate to sound like a broken record but Team Ninja just REFUSES to address the camera issues in this series
True, they need to give up completely and just use fixed cam. A game moving this fast is probably never going to handle dynamic and user controllably cameras well. The faster they make it the more it'll fuck up.

stuburns said:
True, they need to give up completely and just use fixed cam. A game moving this fast is probably never going to handle dynamic and user controllably cameras well. The faster they make it the more it'll fuck up.

Or they could just let it pass through objects.

StuBurns

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
Or they could just let it pass through objects.
It's not going to fix it. They have this stupid limiting effect on when the user can control it. Like during the boss fight in the demo, if you're at the side the camera is pretty much completely useless, and you can't move it up and down, only side to side, you have to move the character to regain 3D camera control.

They have by far the worst camera I've used in an action game.

Top Bottom