• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

SaitoH said:
On Invisible walls they talk about Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 at the end of the episode:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-76-invisible-walls/56798

HOLY SHIT @ at the slowdown starting around 28:30. That is almost as bad as the Chapter 10 staircase...

He also mentions that he's around half-way through, but he has already played one of the new missions for the girls. So I guess that means they once again shoehorned that shit into the main story instead of keeping it self-contained? Sigh...

All Tests of Valors have been removed? Ehhh...

rvy

Banned
iconoclast said:
HOLY SHIT @ at the slowdown starting around 28:30. That is almost as bad as the Chapter 10 staircase...

He also mentions that he's around half-way through, but he has already played one of the new missions for the girls. So I guess that means they once again shoehorned that shit into the main story instead of keeping it self-contained? Sigh...

What?! Why?! Free essence and karma, FFS!

Zezboob

iconoclast said:
I confirm that, the version I played didn't have the scene to trigger the tests of valors, but I thought that was because I was playing in easy mode (couldn't choose the difficulty, and I never played in this mode with the 360 version)

Llyranor

What the crap? The tests of valor were some of the best/harder fights in the game. I still have nightmares over the test vs the werewolves. Was stuck on that one for hours, and man did it feel satisfying when I finally completed it.

This is a massive omission.

rvy

Banned
Zezboob said:
I confirm that, the version I played didn't have the scene to trigger the tests of valors, but I thought that was because I was playing in easy mode (couldn't choose the difficulty, and I never played in this mode with the 360 version)
2s1ri1t.jpg

Kai Ozu

The first or second tests of valor was really hard for me on master, because you don't have the gear yet to take so many of them on.

USD

Zezboob said:
Well... maybe you have another way to rigger them, but it's not like the 360 version.
It could be they just took out the Rod of Trials. I know a lot of people missed it in their first playthrough, and if you do, you can't do any of the Tests.

MoFuzz

Bearillusion said:
My PS3 must be magic has I haven't had any slowdown and I've played through the demo a number of times now.

Going back a couple of pages now, but I just had a thought. Mine was upscaled to 1080p, perhaps running in the native rez of 720p would help the slowdown/tearing issues? Will try that tonight after work.

Regardless, I've spent well over 60 hours on the 360 version, so I know I definitely saw some slowdown in Sigma 2. Was it horrendous? No. But it was the one big improvement I was really hoping for in the PS3 iteration. There's no question Sigma 2 looks better, even before all the screens posted comparing the two, you can tell right away looking at the game running on its own.

Again, I'm keeping an open mind that the retail release will have improved on this aspect, or at least deliver a stellar game.

A few spoilers for you folks to mull over re changes from NG2. Some stuff are from prima guide while others are confirmed from the lucky few who’re playing this early.

1.No UTs from bow (confirmed)

2.Still need to tap x to run on water (confirmed)

The following is yet to be confirmed (credit to Sneh from IW)

1.Looks like there is no IS and WS projectiles for Ryu

2.No more worm tunnel mid boss. Red eels still present.

3.Bosses and placements
Ch1:Buddha / Rasetsu / Buddha
Ch2: Rasetsu / Genshin
Ch3: Gigadeath
Ch4: Giant Brute / Alexi / Statue of Liberty
Ch5 = Momiji: Tengu Bro / Tengu Bros
Ch6: Water Dragon
Ch7: Giant Skeleton / Volf
Ch8 = Rachel: Marbus
Ch9: Genshin / Armadillo
Ch10: Giant Brute / Zedonius
Ch11 = Ayane: Obaba
Ch12: Flame Dragon
Ch13: Quetzalcoatl / Elizebet
Ch14: Tengu Bro/s / Rasetsu Brawl *2 at a time 3 total / Tengu Bro/s / Genshin
Ch15: Marbus / Zed / Volf
Ch16 Tengu Bros / Alexi
Ch17:Same as NG2

4. 35 missions in total
Acolyte 10, Warrior 10. Mentor 5, Master Ninja 5, Ultimate Ninja 5

5. Dream combo of 4 bosses Alexei+Liz+Volf+Zed at the same time in ultimate ninja mission mode lol

Wait, they removed the
Windmill Shuriken
entirely? What trash.

Oh, and I guess that means there are no
weapon survivals
? Inferior version confirmed.

edit: Unless
you can choose one of two survivals, and then pick your weapon.
Didn't consider that. There's still hope!

edit2: Oh wait, they're all co-op aren't they? There's no hope.

The Tests of Valor have to be in there, one way or another.

Siyou said:
i think ill be passing on this game...
Unless you already have NG2, I'm not sure why you would. Flaws and blood preferences aside, you'd be hard pressed to find very many action games better than this.

iconoclast said:
Hayashi fails for not (at least) bringing back timed encounters.
But he "gets it" though. Leaving out the campaign time limits was just strange. Especially when you consider just how much more offense-minded the sequel is.

w1ck3dn1nj4 said:
2.No more worm tunnel mid boss. Red eels still present.
Good riddance.

w1ck3dn1nj4 said:
2.Still need to tap x to run on water (confirmed)
As it should be.

w1ck3dn1nj4 said:
1.No UTs from bow (confirmed)
That won't sit well with a lot of players. Hmmm...

w1ck3dn1nj4 said:
1.Looks like there is no IS and WS projectiles for Ryu
This can't be serious. I'll wait for confirmation.

w1ck3dn1nj4 said:
5. Dream combo of 4 bosses Alexei+Liz+Volf+Zed at the same time in ultimate ninja mission mode lol
I need to see how some of these replacements and new encounters play out, but the above is interesting.

·feist· said:
But he "gets it" though. Leaving out the campaign time limits was just strange. Especially when you consider just how much more offense-minded the sequel is.

I always thought the scoring system in NG sucked to begin with (I always felt you should be punished for using ET/UT's, not rewarded), but removing the timer really broke it. In NG2, you wind up spawning some enemies, running away, charging a ET/UT and making sure it only hits once for maximum milking efficiency. Rinse and repeat forever.

It's an absolute joke.

·feist· said:
That won't sit well with a lot of players. Hmmm...

That's a great change, IMO. One less way to tediously milk karma! But how will they
do a few of boss fights, or sections of certain levels? Either a quick bow shot does ridiculous damage or they reworked them completely (I'm hoping for the latter)...

Loudninja

·feist· said:
The Tests of Valor have to be in there, one way or another.

Unless you already have NG2, I'm not sure why you would. Flaws and blood preferences aside, you'd be hard pressed to find very many action games better than this.

Its not,this been confirmed or a while now.

Loudninja said:
Its not,this been confirmed or a while now.
I wasn't aware of that. Personally, I loved having that added hurdle right before
boss fights.

iconoclast said:
I always thought the scoring system in NG sucked to begin with (I always felt you should be punished for using ET/UT's, not rewarded), but removing the timer really broke it. In NG2, you wind up spawning some enemies, running away, charging a ET/UT and making sure it only hits once for maximum milking efficiency. Rinse and repeat forever.

It's an absolute joke.
I'm the type that tries to avoid OTs and UTs where I can unless I'm just cruising along, being cheap or simply lazy. Obviously, they're rewarding you for employing all of the techniques at your disposal, but it also encourages spamming and poor play. If anything, I think NG2's scoring system is possibly worse/easier than that of NG1. I lost count of how many consecutive Master Ninja rankings I got on my first play; even where I didn't feel that it was warranted. It's as if you can't get less than Head Ninja and Greater Ninja has become equivalent to Ninja Dog. Of course, some experience with the series skews this a bit, but I'm sure I could still end up with one or two Greater Ninja ranks on NG1 even now. :D

iconoclast said:
That's a great change, IMO. One less way to tediously milk karma! But how will they
do a few of boss fights, or sections of certain levels? Either a quick bow shot does ridiculous damage or they reworked them completely (I'm hoping for the latter)...
I agree. I've never been a bow person in either game and I've avoided them outside of the instances where you're forced to use them - puzzles in NG1, boss fights in NG2, etc. I'm too busy juggling enemies with normal shurikens for fun or mixing in the windmill to care about the bow. You can beat the
Train Demon, Water Dragon
and others without it, but the later encounters will prove interesting. Taking out the UT bow will piss off a lot of people that have it as a go to.

Draft

First, I will jump on the praise train and agree this is how a demo should be done. Silly amount of content and stuff to play around with.

The pros:

-Sigma engine looks better than the NG2 engine. The bump in textures and resolution and lighting is appreciated. NG2 was not a pretty game, and Sigma 2 isn't either, but it looks better for sure.
-New boss is kind of fun. I'll never complain about more content.
-Ayane is fun to use. She seems a little spammy and is definitely no Ryu but I guess she's not meant to be.
-I noticed very few framerate hiccups in either Ryu or Ayane's stage. It's not gone, but it's not worse, either.
-Definitely as fast as the original.
-Dabilharo is back! Fuck! My favorite weapon by far.

The cons:

-Lots of screen tearing. I guess that is preferable to slowdown in an action game, but goddamn is that one annoying effect.
-Mid level loading still in full effect.
-I realize this has been beat to death, but now that I can see it on my own TV, I gotta repeat with great emphasis: this purple mist is the DUMBEST SHIT EVER. It is so hideous in every imaginable way. Ugly as hell, gets in the way, I'm chopping an arm off, the motherfucker's ARM IS OFF HIS BODY, and then BAM MIST ALL OVER. Awful. Just awful. If you defend the mist, you are execrable.

Solid port. I won't be dropping $60 but I will definitely own it eventually.

MazingerDUDE said:
some more comparison shots here

it seems that NGS2 is a lot more than just a port :D

*pics*

Damn. The differences in these pics are astonishing; texture detail, pixel shaders, lighting are huge improvements. They didn't just render the game in a higher resolution, but outright improved entire graphical assets. All those comparison picks we had earlier from the previews were nothing like this, it was really really understated in retrospect.

Loudninja

God's Beard said:
No super shuriken, no tests of valor and forced co-op mission mode? What kind of Ninja Gaiden is this?

What are you talking about?Anyway they change things but added other things in there place.

-viper-

Banned
Downloaded the demo. The graphics look excellent. Looks very sharp. I'm surprised. Far better looking than Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

edit: Wow at the NG2 comparison. It's almost an entirely different game.

Draft

Yiiiiiiikes. Spoke too soon on the slowdown tip. Path of the Mentor had serious drops all over the place. The final battle before the Buddha was probably averaging 50fps.

Clearly this generation of hardware is just not powerful enough for Ninja Gaiden.

SaitoH

Draft said:
-I realize this has been beat to death, but now that I can see it on my own TV, I gotta repeat with great emphasis: this purple mist is the DUMBEST SHIT EVER. It is so hideous in every imaginable way. Ugly as hell, gets in the way, I'm chopping an arm off, the motherfucker's ARM IS OFF HIS BODY, and then BAM MIST ALL OVER. Awful. Just awful. If you defend the mist, you are execrable.

Since I have yet to chime in on the matter, rather then defend it I'll simply say, "I don't care".

Purple mist, or blood, are fine with me, as long as I get to play this game. I've been dying to get my hands on NG2 since I first played the demo on a friend's 360, and tuesday, I'll finally get my chance.

Draft

DR2K said:
This has never happened, and I've spent a ton of time on the demo.
It happens when you run under the bridge in the lotus tree area towards the waterfall. The second time it bugged out and displayed one of the "art of..." screens instead of the loading screen.

Maybe the game realizes how big a fan you are and just tries extra hard.

DR2K said:
This has never happened, and I've spent a ton of time on the demo.

I haven't seen this either. Unless people are talking about opening treasure boxes. That load is annoying, but tolerable. I'm currently playing Blood Omen right on the PS3, though, so I might be more patient than some other folks :lol

SaitoH said:
Purple mist, or blood, are fine with me, as long as I get to play this game. I've been dying to get my hands on NG2 since I first played the demo on a friend's 360, and tuesday, I'll finally get my chance.

Same here. Being a PS3 only owner I was day 1 one NGS1 so it really blew when NG2 was originally announced on the 360. Having played the demo I'm super hyped for NGS2. I guess it really helps that NGS1 is the only other NG game I've played, seeing as a lot of the complaints are coming from folks who have some baggage with this franchise.

kuYuri

Ok, I can excuse not having blood, but removing the IS, WS, and ToVs is straight up bullshit. I hope that info is fake.

StuBurns

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
Jeeze, just how easy did they make Sigma 2? I mean, the demo felt ridiculously easy but I just assumed it was because I had level 3 weapons and it's the first level.
Someone else said it was quite a bit harder. IGN I think?

DR2K

Banned
Draft said:
It happens when you run under the bridge in the lotus tree area towards the waterfall. The second time it bugged out and displayed one of the "art of..." screens instead of the loading screen.

Maybe the game realizes how big a fan you are and just tries extra hard.

Well hopefully it tries this hard for the retail game. I've never encountered a loading screen in that area(or any area, and I've played it on all 4 difficulties.

Draft

I also haven't spent nearly enough time with it to make a harder or not judgment, but I would certainly lean towards the latter. Path of the Mentor was a breeze, and I haven't touched NG2 in months.

Pachinko

I think it's worth mentioning that the majority of any impressions to be found on this game are based on a playthrough of the warrior difficulty- we've all seen plenty of footage and well, mentor/master ninja mode have different enemy placements as well as a high possibility of frequent fiend ryu encounters.

My guess is the tests of valor weren't removed from the whole game, they might have been left for master ninja mode or perhaps, and sadly- they are being remixed with the missions from the NG2 DLC into NGS2 dlc.

I mean, recall if you will that ninja gaiden sigma had a mission mode that I believe was half on the disc and half dlc. Ryu and racheal each had their own stages too.

No reason to see the future for this games content being any different.

ultim8p00

Banned
stuburns said:
Someone else said it was quite a bit harder. IGN I think?

Oh I seriously doubt it. I was able to no-item master ninja in the demo. I'm sure it's definitely easier. It has to be solely based on the fact that they took out projectile spam and reduced enemy count.

Llyranor

As someone who's went through the first few levels of Mentor in NG2 recently, I can easily say that NG2 on that diff is a lot lot harder, but it's also much cheaper.

I've had a quick second or two mid-level loads, but it was still improved compared to an uninstalled NG2.

The real killer is it loads every single time you switch a weapon, for several seconds. Load times for each level are really effing long too.

Draft said:
Yiiiiiiikes. Spoke too soon on the slowdown tip. Path of the Mentor had serious drops all over the place. The final battle before the Buddha was probably averaging 50fps.

Clearly this generation of hardware is just not powerful enough for Ninja Gaiden.

I've beaten the demo on all settings and haven't experienced slowdown once. Tearing has also been minimal. The only time it really shows up is during the boss fight. I'm not blind to this stuff btw. I can't not see it.

I'm playing at 720p and on a slim.

Oh and there has never been any loading once the level starts. None at all.

Loudninja

iconoclast said:
I've had a quick second or two mid-level loads, but it was still improved compared to an uninstalled NG2.

The real killer is it loads every single time you switch a weapon, for several seconds. Load times for each level are really effing long too.

What? it does not take several seconds.

Loudninja said:
What? no it does not.

Compared to NG2, when you switch a weapon via the d-pad the loading is a lot worse.

edit: I'm playing it right now and it takes about 2 seconds. When I first switched weapons it took nearly 10; pretty weird. So maybe not "several" but still not as quick as it should be.

DR2K

Banned
iconoclast said:
Compared to NG2, when you switch a weapon via the d-pad the loading is a lot worse.

It's half a second for me. I'm going to switch to 720p mode and see if something different happens, lol.

Future

I dont know what people are talking about when it comes to framerate. Game slows down a ton during team missions and the Ayane mission near the end.

This might be the first NG I skip. I know everyone praises the combat, but I am starting to get tired of being encouraged to UT spam. UTs are so easy to do and come out so quickly that I feel like thats all I'm doing. And why not. It nets me the most points and kills guys the fastest. It also is starting to kill the fun, after getting so good learning how to perform them in the first NG years ago.

However, I praise them for removing some of the cheapness of their AI. Defiitely less shiruken spam, and more fun to fight the advanced Ninjas. The combat system is just getting a little old strategy wise

DR2K

Banned
Alright I put it in 720p mode and I got the mid level loading screen, it wasn't even a second long, but it did slightly pause. Never happened to me once in 1080p mode. There was no slow down in the river area though, some screen tearing, but no slow down.

Weird.

Top Bottom