• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 "stands up to the best in the genre"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Ninja Gaiden 2 'Ultimate Technique' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19028

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Haybusa Village' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19029

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Times Square' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19030

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Brooklyn Bridge' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19032

I'll have more up later. I recommend downloading the QT version. It's the best quality.

BTW, all of the videos are encoded at 60 FPS.

(Be kind with my game play. All of these clips were captured on my first play through.)

Bigmac573

Banned
Brianemone said:
Embargo is up for NZ/Australia

My review is here

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2008/05/26/ninja-gaiden-2-review-xbox-360/

Some of the bits I'd like to share

Oh and the fricken dogs!!! they are rad and yet disturbingly plausible if you can immagine sword weilding dogs, which I can
Idk dude, call me crazy but your review is pretty vague...almost skimpishly so...

I smell BS, the reviews on this game should have an embargo on them, no?

EDIT: Embargo up, I take back my foolish words.

Bigmac573 said:
Idk dude, call me crazy but your review is pretty vague...almost skimpishly so...

I smell BS, the reviews on this game should have an embargo on them, no?

EDIT: Embargo up, I take back my foolish words.

Was about to post some harsh words but just saw the edit.

I try and keep my reviews less specific as I don't enjoy reading every single detail in a review myself, I want an honest opinion of the game that doesn't spoil the experience should I decide to play it. My recommendation as per the last line of the review is that this game is a must buy for action genre fans or even to try if you aren't a fan.

Dalauz

lybertyboy said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 'Ultimate Technique' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19028

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Haybusa Village' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19029

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Times Square' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19030

Ninja Gaiden 2 'Brooklyn Bridge' HD - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19032

I'll have more up later. I recommend downloading the QT version. It's the best quality.

BTW, all of the videos are encoded at 60 FPS.

(Be kind with my game play. All of these clips were captured on my first play through.)

Anyone doubting anything about this game should check these videos.

I really want a crossover between Itagaki and Kamiya.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Kagari said:
Um, so... why do reviewers lately score games down for being difficult? It makes no sense. :/

The word PUSSY springs to mind!
Seriously, I don't know what the fuck Gamesradar are trying, but 7/10 is Bullshite!!

East Lake

The only trouble is that our review build had trouble maintaining a solid framerate throughout the adventure. Quite a few times when there were explosions on screen the game would start chugging. Late in the game when the levels toss huge numbers of enemies at you the game would crawl. Occasionally this was actually cool -- when things move a bit slower you can actually appreciate the artful movements on screen -- but more often it left me a bit disappointed that the framerate wasn't locked down.
:/

Crawl... I hope it's not too bad, retail versions sometimes have an advantage when it comes to this right?

Kagari said:
Um, so... why do reviewers lately score games down for being difficult? It makes no sense. :/

I can't see this as being appropriate. Ninja Gaidens beauty is that it makes you play the game rather than just mash some buttons.

I enjoyed the boss battles because it wasn't a simple matter of pointing my guy in the right direction and hitting a button. Devising a plan of attack based on observations is rad.

Hard? yes
rewarding? more so because of the difficulty

Darunia said:
this... doesn't make a lot of sense

anymore sense than:

DMC3
-Ridiculously, unreasonably difficult at first.

DMC3SE
-Since combat isn't as gruelingly difficult, it's also somewhat less rewarding.

It is like a love/hate thing...or something. It is understandable because these games were hard, but not hard that it didn't feel like it was your fault that you failed and not the game.

I want 1up to have their review up. I am interested in seeing what Milky gives it (assuming he is the reviewer).

DC R1D3R

Banned
Ninja Gaiden 2 is the first game all over again, only faster and with a fancy new combat feature where you can hack off enemy limbs and execute elaborate finishing moves that differ from weapon to weapon.

So it's just like the frst game but completely different?

Impudent apes :[

Kai Ozu

The saving grace here is the fanbase. If you’re in this group, there’s no reason why you won’t love Ninja Gaiden 2, despite its faults. You don’t care about next-gen graphics, level design and fairness, right? You like having Tomonobu Itagaki stamp on your ego, rob your of sanity and piss down your throat.

WOW

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Pfffft.

Reviewers are still giving Ninja Gaiden II the same points-docking negatives that they did in 2004/2005 - they can't get used to the camera (still? come on - R-trigger) and 3/4 years later after Team Ninja gives gamers time to man up, even though I've seen previewers mash through some sections of the first level on Path of the Acolyte without blocking or dashing and still surviving, they still say it's too hard of a game to beat?

I think they shouldn't even have touched Path of the Warrior yet, seriously - and the funny part is that now they're docking NGII for even MORE points for those reasons now than back then...

Just from skimming, if those are really the only problems they have, I am going to love the hell out of this game as expected...

Thanks lybertyboy for posting vids - Blim's should be up in 10 mins from now as well (or an hour & 10 mins if he's still on the time posted earlier) when I get back home in a few hours, it's going to be a video field day for me, and all at 60fps...

The King is back...

Teknoman

Still waiting on that demo. Probably wont be up today anyway, being Memorial day and all.

And Ninja Gaiden 1 wasnt really hard...just required timing is all.

Skilotonn said:
they can't get used to the camera (still? come on - R-trigger)

Whoa now. There is no need to defend a clearly broken aspect of the game that wasn't fixed for the sequel. I am a big Ninja Gaiden fan, but the camera is a big problem that I dealt with for 3 games now (first time before the patch). While I can deal with the camera in NG2 as I have for the past games, I am still all for critics going on about how terrible the camera is. People bitched about the camera for 3 games now and you would expect them to fix it in the true sequel, yet they still havent.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6534_en.html

edit: beaten by the man, the myth, the legend himself!

Linkzg said:
anymore sense than:

It is like a love/hate thing...or something. It is understandable because these games were hard, but not hard that it didn't feel like it was your fault that you failed and not the game.

I want 1up to have their review up. I am interested in seeing what Milky gives it (assuming he is the reviewer).

yeah at least that was 2 different skus

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I am really excited for the game, but, the camera looks really terrible in the videos posted here. Really, really, terrible. :/

clav

Oldschoolgamer said:
I am really excited for the game, but, the camera looks really terrible in the videos posted here. Really, really, terrible. :/
To me, I don't think the camera is as bad as people said it is.

I don't think I've ever found it detrimental to my game play. Hitting the R Button when I'm blocking fixed that issue.

You should still be able to beat NG1.

Crovax33

GameReactor said:
]The saving grace here is the fanbase. If you’re in this group, there’s no reason why you won’t love Ninja Gaiden 2, despite its faults. You don’t care about next-gen graphics, level design and fairness, right? You like having Tomonobu Itagaki stamp on your ego, rob your of sanity and piss down your throat.

What? That was uncalled for.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Kai Ozu said:

The saving grace here is the fanbase. If you’re in this group, there’s no reason why you won’t love Ninja Gaiden 2, despite its faults. You don’t care about next-gen graphics, level design and fairness, right? You like having Tomonobu Itagaki stamp on your ego, rob your of sanity and piss down your throat.

So because of Itagaki's badassery, his game review score gets docked? It seems almost as if there's a personal vendetta against the guy :]

WTF

Crovax33

DC R1D3R said:
So because of Itagaki's badassery, his game review score gets docked? It seems almost as if there's a personal vendetta against the guy :]
WTF
I was going to say the same, but I don't want to get on conclusions I cannot defend. I will ignore that review because of that commentary though.

GrayFoxPL

Blimblim said:

Another bad point, the game isn't perfectly smooth. Most of the time it runs at a perfect 60 fps and all is good, but during heavy action scenes I've seen some tearing and even some major slowdowns happens. It's rare thankfully, but still disappointing. Also disappointing, and we've become used to this coming from Team Ninja, the shadowing and lighting is still very basic and doesn't seem to be that much different from the Xbox games.

ninjacorn.gif

Edit: Better.

Still, ninja game is a game to buy day one :D.

DC R1D3R

Banned
ANY website that awards Heavenly Sword a higher review score than Ninja Gaiden needs some bitchslaps!! I mean, are they trying to take the fuckin piss or what!?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
GrayFoxPL said:
[]http://www.travelrewardsclub.com/images/popcorn/canlineup2.gif[/IMG]

Thats hardly enough.

DC R1D3R said:
ANY website that awards Heavenly Sword a higher review score than Ninja Gaiden needs some bitchslaps!! I mean, are they trying to take the fuckin piss or what!?

Now this may be weird but shouldn't reviewers base their review on the game they are reviewing than on the score of another game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kai Ozu said:
Man, you love that flying swallow don't you :lol The video's look fucking great! Awesome job.
Yeah I totally abuse the flying swallow all the time. Such a convenient move, especially with an upgrade Dragon Sword :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Linkzg said:
Whoa now. There is no need to defend a clearly broken aspect of the game that wasn't fixed for the sequel. I am a big Ninja Gaiden fan, but the camera is a big problem that I dealt with for 3 games now (first time before the patch). While I can deal with the camera in NG2 as I have for the past games, I am still all for critics going on about how terrible the camera is. People bitched about the camera for 3 games now and you would expect them to fix it in the true sequel, yet they still havent.

Well, I'm mainly talking about my experience with the camera - I was able to fix the broken camera myself, and even that wasn't necessary as ofter as one would expect - I got used to it, so it's definitely possible...

But what I was really getting at was that if it's like the last one, I should love it - I can understand if others who couldn't get used to it in NG wouldn't like it here either...

DC R1D3R

Banned
neojubei said:
Now this may be weird but shouldn't reviewers base their review on the game they are reviewing than on the score of another game.

NO. Any website that gives HS a higher score than an NG game should be consumed within the burning fire of HADES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom