• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U Gets Dragon Sword-style Touchscreen Controls

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
From Kotaku:

"Team Ninja is bringing super ninja Ryu Hayabusa to Nintendo's new console, Wii U, with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Its the more unique version of Ninja Gaiden 3, thanks to the addition of (optional) touchscreen controls.

Yosuke Hayashi, head of Team Ninja, tells Kotaku that the control scheme from Nintendo DS game Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword is coming to the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3. The touchscreen-controlled Dragon Sword used screen taps to throw shurikens and move Ryu, swipes of the screen to jump and slash at enemies.

"It was almost like fate that we're making making Ninja Gaiden 3 and then we have the option to bring in Dragon Sword controls, that kind of gameplay, to a high spec console version," Hayashi said through a translator. "We feel we'll be able to give players a new kind of gameplay, a new feel with the new controller."

Hayashi said that more traditional, buttons and analog stick-based controls will be available to players of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.

Publisher Tecmo Koei hasn't put a date on the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3, but the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of that game are currently scheduled for "early 2012.""

http://kotaku.com/5810475/ninja-gaiden-3-for-wii-u-gets-dragon-sword+style-touchscreen-controls

That sounds fucking awesome. Only ever played the Dragon Sword demo, but combat in that felt very tight for a touchscreen game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow...nice to hear. Dragon Sword was great.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ninja Gaiden DS was pretty awesome.

Nintendo appears to be doing the third party thing right this time. And third parties seemed to have learned what they need to do, judging by their ideas for the controller.

Kyzer

Banned
Thought of this at first....and I wasn't even mad...

250px-Dragon_Blade_-_Wrath_of_Fire_Coverart.png

udivision

"Team Ninja is bringing super ninja Ryu Hayabusa to Nintendo's new console, Wii U, with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Its the more unique version of Ninja Gaiden 3, thanks to the addition of (optional) touchscreen controls.

Pff, people will still complain about it being mandatory in this thread.

jns

wait, is this an entirely separate game from NG3? When I heard about the DS game I really wanted it to be a 2d version like the old days but I actually really enjoyed the version they put out. The game play fit both the word and DS really well. If it is an entirely new game I could see them doing something interesting with the new nintendo, but if they are going to tack on touch screen stuff to the same version we've been seeing they might encounter a number of problems - Its faster to hit a button than make a swipe with your finger being the most important one.

seady

I am surprise how many of these 3rd party games already have some solid concept/feature in place optimized for Wii U. When I saw the reel during press conference, I thought all of them are just videos (from other systems) quickly thrown together by Nintendo with barely any actual production development behind them.

Though I thought Dragon Sword was way too short, I really enjoyed the controls (though a bit limited), so this is fine by me.

TAS

"It was almost like fate that we're making making Ninja Gaiden 3 and then we have the option to bring in Dragon Sword controls, that kind of gameplay, to a high spec console version," Hayashi said through a translator.

I'm liking the sound of that!

Riposte said:
Is this game good or something? Never heard of it.
I got it for $5 in a bargain bin at Best Buy. It takes about a level and half to go from entertainingly bad to straight up tedious. It's pretty terrible.

Foffy

Banned
jns said:
wait, is this an entirely separate game from NG3? When I heard about the DS game I really wanted it to be a 2d version like the old days but I actually really enjoyed the version they put out. The game play fit both the word and DS really well. If it is an entirely new game I could see them doing something interesting with the new nintendo, but if they are going to tack on touch screen stuff to the same version we've been seeing they might encounter a number of problems - Its faster to hit a button than make a swipe with your finger being the most important one.

It's Ninja Gaiden 3 but with a subtitle and potentially some extra features.

The problem is that the controls were a random mess in NG DS, I could never put UT on a constant basis. But since the timing were extremely forgivable it was still workable.

Krowley

Sounds very cool, but I'm still a little worried about this game based on what I've seen in videos for the other two consoles. I'm not sure if I want QTE's in my NG, and I'm a little confused about this whole bone/sword contact fetish that the director seems to have. The first game had basically perfect combat.

Anyway, the basic idea of implementing some cool touch based controls that we can mix in with out traditional controls is awesome, and I can't wait to see how it works.

Hellraizah

Team Ninja is bringing super ninja Ryu Hayabusa to Nintendo's new console, Wii U, with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Its the more unique version of Ninja Gaiden 3, thanks to the addition of (optional) touchscreen controls.

AWESOME

Dragon Sword is the only DS game (out of like 40) that I regret getting. So repetitive.
Plus, it's gonna be just an optional feature, so it probably will be far from ideal.

I'm glad it's optional. Dragon Sword was alright, but those controls were its biggest problem. They were way too innacurate to be going through the obstacles they throw at you in that game.

Krowley

BrodiemanTTR said:
I assume this will only work when playing on the controller.

Some of the demos on the showfloor stream the same video to the screen and the controller at the same time, so if this game streams a simultaneous image to both screens at once, it should be possible for the player to use whichever input he chooses without even changing a setting. It might even be interesting and advantageous to mix them up, looking down and using the touch screen for certain inputs while looking back up at the tv for normal gameplay.

ivysaur12

Banned
So it's NG3 with option touch controls? It sounds hot, if I wasn't concerned with the direction that Team Ninja is going in. Still might buy so I can pretend to throw ninja stars in my basement life a mofo before I switch to normal controls.

But honestly, stuff like this + Nintendo exclusives in HD are the reason I'll get a Wii U. Hopefully developers utilize the extra horsepower for multiplat games.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Will make me feel like genuine fucking ninja. Should have a ninja outfit in the collector's edition.

Fat Goron

Sammy Samusu said:
Holy shit, what's up with Nintendo and Tecmo these days?

I WANT FATAL FRAME 5 WII U!

Know what? Fuck the Wii.....

I want that damn Fatal Frame R2 for Wii U.
One of the best games in the franchise in glorious HD and with the camera obscura in your own hands....

GIMME! GIMME NOW!

Therion

How are QTEs on touchscreens? I haven't played a DS game in a few years, but I imagine tracing along some pattern that describes the action makes for a better experience than the normal button presses. Am I wrong?

Kinosen

Neo Member
I hope it'll also support the Wiimote+Nunchuck, the new "Steel and Bone" concept looks like it would fit really well with gesture-based finishers following button-based quick attacks similar to the No More Heroes games.

Ifrit

NGDS was a fun game, but it wasn't comparable to the console versions. I definitely prefer traditional controls all the way, but seeing that its opcional, I'm ok with it

Busaiku

So the touch controls are the only exclusive feature that warrants a new subtitle?
I should've figured as much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fat Goron said:
I want that damn Fatal Frame R2 for Wii U.
One of the best games in the franchise in glorious HD and with the camera obscura in your own hands....

They're already doing Fatal Frame R2 Wii.

Top Bottom