• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

Revan

The Lunar is beyond broken this time around - the three levels of UT's helps and it's really good for breaking counters.

I played Ayane's Day 2 with Ryu and absolutely destroyed the level only using the Lunar. The 3 Alchemists at the end were a joke.

Het_Nkik

Decided to play some chapter challenges and... man, this is a lot more fun. No cutscenes and no overly long scripted events makes the game so much better.

I finished the game a couple nights ago and I've been messing around with the different characters in chapter challenges. It's really apparent that Team Ninja tried to optimize the game engine specifically for Ryu because the game seems to perform even worse on the levels I tried with Momiji and Ayane.

Unless I'm going crazy it seems like the Day 1 with Momiji actually turns off what ever smoothing the engine was trying to use to hide jaggies without full AA because it was looked like jaggy hell to me compared to playing the same level with Ryu or Ayane and the performance still takes a big hit. Here's hoping for some kind of patch to help these issues in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

I am a bit disappointed about hard and master ninja difficulty not being available from the start in chapter challange. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to beat the game on those levels to unlock it and there were several sections of the game that I was hoping to never have to play again :(

JoeFu

Banned
I'm on Day 7 and still having fun. The game seems really short though...

I guess now would be a good time to say I never played a previous Ninja Gaiden game. I do have a PS3, but never got around to buying any of the games for it. Wonder how much I'll enjoy those if I'm liking this one so much...

Skilletor

I'm on Day 7 and still having fun. The game seems really short though...

I guess now would be a good time to say I never played a previous Ninja Gaiden game. I do have a PS3, but never got around to buying any of the games for it. Wonder how much I'll enjoy those if I'm liking this one so much...

Since they're much better games, you would enjoy them much more. They're also much longer the first time through.

I finished the game a couple nights ago and I've been messing around with the different characters in chapter challenges. It's really apparent that Team Ninja tried to optimize the game engine specifically for Ryu because the game seems to perform even worse on the levels I tried with Momiji and Ayane.

Unless I'm going crazy it seems like the Day 1 with Momiji actually turns off what ever smoothing the engine was trying to use to hide jaggies without full AA because it was looked like jaggy hell to me compared to playing the same level with Ryu or Ayane and the performance still takes a big hit. Here's hoping for some kind of patch to help these issues in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

I am a bit disappointed about hard and master ninja difficulty not being available from the start in chapter challange. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to beat the game on those levels to unlock it and there were several sections of the game that I was hoping to never have to play again :(

Yeah you have to beat the lower difficulties to unlock the higher ones. I finally got to play some last night with Momiji, my god she is so much fun to play as. She just shreds enemies. I really hope we do get a female ninja game at some point. I do agree with you that the graphics do seem worse going through the levels with her though.

Het_Nkik

Oh yeah, I had a Miiverse post for this game deleted because it contained spoilers.

I posted that the last boss was awful because of the camera angles. That's it. Is the spoiler that there's a last boss or that it's awful? Wish there was a way to reply to the admin who modified your post other than from a few pre-determined message choices.

NateDrake

Oh yeah, I had a Miiverse post for this game deleted because it contained spoilers.

I posted that the last boss was awful because of the camera angles. That's it. Is the spoiler that there's a last boss or that it's awful? Wish there was a way to reply to the admin who modified your post other than from a few pre-determined message choices.

I posted a screen of Ayane in the towel and someone filed a spoiler complaint on it.

Dantis

There's a last boss?

That's already an improvement over the original game!

Juken

Does anyone have a sure way to dodge helicopter missiles? Trying to play Master Ninja and one of the day 2 encounters is incredibly tough.

I try to dodge and jump and memorize some kind of pattern, but it's almost inevitable that I get hit by a stray missile eventually. Especially since I'm trying to avoid like 10 or so enemies as well.

Also, do you think its better to fight the heli or enemies first?

edit: Got lucky and got past this part without any sort of strategy

I posted a screen of Ayane in the towel and someone filed a spoiler complaint on it.

lol that has to be the most posted picture on Miiverse. Seen it dozens of times and it's in the trailer...surprised they took your post down.

I drew an extremely terrible picture of Bowser in NSMBU and it ended up marked as spoiler as well. How is Bowser in a Mario game a spoiler!? They take it REALLY seriously I guess

Deku Tree

I like the Wii U function that keeps track of your usage stats.

My total time played: 19:26
My times played: 26

And I am only up to day 6 in story mode. EDIT: a bunch of that time is when the game was on pause though.

BTW what is the best kind of Ninpo to upgrade to after the fire one?

I feeel so stupid... I've been stuck with Ayane on a double wall jump here I am double tapping the jump button and all I had to do was hold the button done and she walks an the wall o_O

man I suck... but after the hold block tip I got from this thread I am having so much fun.

The scythe IMO is the best/easiest weapon in the game to use. Try to level it up to 3 as quick as possible.

where or when do I get this? I am afraid to level up things saving it for this...

Deku Tree

I feeel so stupid... I've been stuck with Ayane on a double wall jump here I am double tapping the jump button and all I had to do was hold the button done and she walks an the wall o_O

man I suck... but after the hold block tip I got from this thread I am having so much fun.

where or when do I get this? I am afraid to level up things saving it for this...

I don't have it yet, but U probably get it from collecting Scarabs.

Has anybody done the Acolyte 10 trial yet? Once I get to the helicopters and grenade throwing shield dudes the game slows down to a crawl. I died twice on this level and both times it gave me a hard lock.

I don't have it yet, but U probably get it from collecting Scarabs.

ah man is there a way to back to old stages to find those things I think I only got one the first day and just got pass the silly thing that hits its head against walls

collected 12 but could have more if I went back

my log today says 8:33 hours ouch my hands tingle and ache so taking a break I made a mistake by pressing - button that skipped a cutscene on some ship after Kana

really need an faqs / guide for this if I am going treasure hunting to get weapons

How do you take screen caps?

hit home and hit miiverse you can post a pic there their are no other ways

Deku Tree

ah man is there a way to back to old stages to find those things I think I only got one the first day and just got pass the silly thing that hits its head against walls

Yes if you replay the old levels, collect the scarabs and save your game then it will add to your scarab total. If u kept saves for each level completion it should be easier.

Day 7 boss:

Ugh.

unfun. Almost tempted to switch to hero just to get it over with.
I did that a few times during my normal playthough just because of the non-funfactor. I hope that it doesn't count against me unlocking hard and master ninja chapter challenges when I do it again during my story mode playthroughs.

Luigiv

The Lunar is beyond broken this time around - the three levels of UT's helps and it's really good for breaking counters.

I played Ayane's Day 2 with Ryu and absolutely destroyed the level only using the Lunar. The 3 Alchemists at the end were a joke.
Good old n00b stick.

massoluk

Banned
So uh, this is my first Ninja Gaiden game since NES day. HOLY CRAP, am I supposed to die this often in the first stage? I don't remember sucking this bad at gaming.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So uh, this is my first Ninja Gaiden game since NES day. HOLY CRAP, am I supposed to die this often in the first stage? I don't remember sucking this bad at gaming.

The 3D Ninja Gaiden games are very vicious and things happen super fast.

Perhaps the first thing to get used to is holding down block and moving around by block-dashing, to minimize your vulnerable window.

Dantis

Yeah. Right after fighting two of those stupid octi-tangs.

I don't know why Team Ninja think it's so fun to use the bow in these games.

I figured. If it makes you feel better, that's the absolute low-point of the game. I absolutely had to force myself through it on vanilla NG3. Incredibly frustrating.

Skilletor

I figured. If it makes you feel better, that's the absolute low-point of the game. I absolutely had to force myself through it on vanilla NG3. Incredibly frustrating.

I beat it. I'm on day 8 now. :)

I pretty much just want chapter challenge to play around with Kasumi and Ayane.

I beat it. I'm on day 8 now. :)

I pretty much just want chapter challenge to play around with Kasumi and Ayane.
For some reason I thought that was day 6. You must have missed my spoilered rant about that boss guantlet earlier in the thread.

I didn't think I could have been any more pissed by it and then I realized it was only the mid-level boss and not even the end of the chapter. What the hell was Team Ninja thinking?

Juken

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hated that part...Sometimes I wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong/missing or if it's bad design

It's ruining my master playthrough, because I keep thinking ahead to that part and how I'll almost certainly give up there lol

Deku Tree

Sorry I was wrong. I found this answer on gfaqs:

JTurbo said:
All weapons and ninpo unlock with Karma (and story advancement). Most moves require only karma, but health increaswa requires collecting scarabs throughout the levels and then karma to buy them. Costume 2 unlocks with story and you purchase with karma. Costume 3 unlocks and requires no karma after you collect all 50 scarabs. Supposedly, costume 4 unlocks when you attempt (but don't have to beat) 10 challenges. I've attempted 6 so far. Also, multiple story play through are required to collect enough karma to buy everything, or farming of chapter challenge mode after you beat the game once.00

I am almost finished day 6 now.

I got the weapon I needed I had a strange glitch during the Day 5 boss when you have to shoot the hand I did not shoot it and it slammed down on me and I fell below the arm where I could stand in the air below the boss could not do anything but stand next to that hand that would slap down so had to reload from my last save point.

if you want to see screens of this I posted two on miiverse before I reloaded. NNID nazaire
sorry my friend list is full

11 hours today I don't think I can get anywhere on normal I suck but I just want to beat this game on Hero for now. That is my lowly goal :( hopefully I'll improve enough to climb the difficulty ladder. This is my first Ninja Gaiden since the NES original.

Sidenote: So even during cutscenes you can jiggle the gamepad to move boobies? SMH Team Pervy Ninja

what skill level was it on? I don't feel it is as satisfying as the other weapons.

Skilletor

I got the weapon I needed I had a strange glitch during the Day 5 boss when you have to shoot the hand I did not shoot it and it slammed down on me and I fell below the arm where I could stand in the air below the boss could not do anything but stand next to that hand that would slap down so had to reload from my last save point.

if you want to see screens of this I posted two on miiverse before I reloaded. NNID nazaire
sorry my friend list is full

11 hours today I don't think I can get anywhere on normal I suck but I just want to beat this game on Hero for now. That is my lowly goal :( hopefully I'll improve enough to climb the difficulty ladder. This is my first Ninja Gaiden since the NES original.

Sidenote: So even during cutscenes you can jiggle the gamepad to move boobies? SMH Team Pervy Ninja

I had this happen to me.

Revan

what skill level was it on? I don't feel it is as satisfying as the other weapons.

I've only had a chance to play the game once on normal and am doing the chapter challenges to find the rest of the scarbs/skulls for the alt costumes ATM.

Might be different on higher difficulties - I'm going to find out over Christmas when I have more time do play it.....

Along for the ride. Picking people off with the bow and arrow that Team Ninja thinks is so awesome and fun to use. :/

at least falling off that boss helped me get use to the bow and arrows a little more but it is not as fluid as I would want, so tired of those jetpack guys :(

Also wish the Shurikens where more powerful, looking up records I threw thousands of them already they are kinda useless needing 3-5 hits to kill

Effect

Not really caring at all that the staff is overpowered. It's completely satisfying to me at the moment. If I want more of a challenge I'll go back and do the levels with other weapons. Just did the my first ninja trial with Momiji..wow. Glad the trial stopped when it did. Beat it but battery started to go on my gamepad. Was curious to how they were going to be done. Did the first one and was wondering if the gates were going to open like in the level.

Edit:

So safe to assume all the trials will be just one section taken out of a level where you have to face of against several waves of enemies?

Skilletor

at least falling off that boss helped me get use to the bow and arrows a little more but it is not as fluid as I would want, so tired of those jetpack guys :(

Also wish the Shurikens where more powerful, looking up records I threw thousands of them already they are kinda useless needing 3-5 hits to kill

I think I'm almost done. Day 8 is the last day, right?

What weapons were added to this game?

I think I'm almost done. Day 8 is the last day, right?

What weapons were added to this game?

I think its 8 Days. This is my first run just trying to learn. 6 weapons the original had 2 I think.
Since you on Day 8 you should have been able to unlock most of them by now. Sometimes you have to go into the Skills Menu to buy the skill for the Weapon to show up though so your list will be far ahead of mines.

Skilletor

I think its 8 Days. This is my first run just trying to learn. 6 weapons the original had 2 I think.
Since you on Day 8 you should have been able to unlock most of them by now. Sometimes you have to go into the Skills Menu to buy the skill for the Weapon to show up though so your list will be far ahead of mines.

I only have 4 weapons: Sword, Dual Swords, Scythe, Lunar Staff, Claws.

What's the 6th weapon?

Edit: It's the Kusari-gama. I don't have it yet. Must need more scarabs. :/

I only have 4 weapons: Sword, Dual Swords, Scythe, Lunar Staff, Claws.

What's the 6th weapon?

Edit: It's the Kusari-gama. I don't have it yet. Must need more scarabs. :/

I think as was posted under spoiler you'll need
to buy the skill for that weapon as well so even if you reached the level to open it you just need more of 'that', you can continue to earn them during a new game after you beat it or the other challenge modes will earn more as well. Seems it will be a very high number to unlock

I think as was posted under spoiler you'll need
to buy the skill for that weapon as well so even if you reached the level to open it you just need more of 'that', you can continue to earn them during a new game after you beat it or the other challenge modes will earn more as well. Seems it will be a very high number to unlock
By the time I reached day 8 I had all of the weapons and ninpo unlocked and at least on level 3 and all the skills except level 5 life. Exploiting the hidden skulls helped a lot, I'm not sure if everyone noticed that you keep the karma you build up in them even if you don't make it past the final boss.

The key to finding all the scarabs is making sure to backtrack whenever there's a cut scene or QTE event, there's one hidden behind almost every one of them.

Skilletor

I haven't been exploring at all, lol. :/

I don't have many scarabs and I only found 5 of the skulls.

I only have lvl 2 life. :p

I haven't been exploring at all, lol. :/

I don't have many scarabs and I only found 5 of the skulls.

I only have lvl 2 life. :p
You're doing pretty good though to make it through the game without everything unlocked. The Kusari-gama might be the most overpowered weapon in the game, it does so much damage and and has a combo that will pretty much one hit kill any enemy that you dismember if you time it right.

Between it and the dual Katanas having that really easy izuna drop combo I had a hard time choosing to use anything else for most of the second half of the game. I never really got in any quality time with the staff or scythe but I'll make up for that during the chapter challenges.

Top Bottom