• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

Deku Tree

I am determined to beat the game on normal mode the entire way.
And I have no problem watching youtube video's to learn strategy for beating the bosses.

For me many of the bosses require serious strategizing because they are so difficult,
but once you have the right plan victory is assured.

Fortunately there are a bunch of people on youtube posting videos. This guy Bick Benedict even does voiceovers explaining his ideas.

G-Fex

I think I'll pick this up this week

Seen a lot of streams and I do like how it looks and plays

Feel good on the wii u pad?

Revan

I was screwing around in Chapter Challenge mode (one more scarab to go) last night and found something that made the dual spider tanks in Day 7 a breeze to beat.

Basically, as soon as the fight begins BACK UP as far as you can and start pelting the legs with the bow. 4 hits per leg will remove the armor and a strong melee attack will remove the leg entirely.

Once I figured this out the boss fight became a bit of a joke.

I have yet to test this in Story mode, but it made the chapter challenge that much easier to beat.

I am determined to beat the game on normal mode the entire way.
And I have no problem watching youtube video's to learn strategy for beating the bosses.

For me many of the bosses require serious strategizing because they are so difficult,
but once you have the right plan victory is assured.

Fortunately there are a bunch of people on youtube posting videos. This guy Bick Benedict even does voiceovers explaining his ideas.

This guy did a full walkthrough of the game and is a really good player - no voice overs though.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL34CA6B5C8D287078

Effect

Thanks for the heads up on the spider tanks. One Day 5 now but thankful to know what to try when I get to that point. Wasted so much time the first time one showed up in the beginning of the game before I figured out what I had to do. Would suck to get stuck on the same type of boss again.

Skilletor

What would you give it out of ten?

I would give it a 6 or 7. The game has its highlights, but overall all it did was try to ape in mechanics from NG2 without balancing the game round them. I played a bit of Master Ninja and it became even more obvious. The enemies died just as easily, they just added a bunch more of them and made me take more damage.

A few of the chapters and bosses felt like good old NG, but most of them felt as bad as Buddha boss in NGS2. The bosses that were cool felt like they had horrible AI. They would just continuously block my strings without trying to get out of them. I know this varies by person, but the framerate also made this a chore to play in parts.

It's much better than vanilla NG3, but still doesn't hold a candle to NG1 or 2. It's decent. Not great, not horrible.

I'd say it's worth playing, but wait for a price drop.

I think I'll pick this up this week

Seen a lot of streams and I do like how it looks and plays

Feel good on the wii u pad?

I played through the entire thing on the wii u pad. That thing is mad comfortable, yo.

G-Fex

I would give it a 6 or 7. The game has its highlights, but overall all it did was try to ape in mechanics from NG2 without balancing the game round them. I played a bit of Master Ninja and it became even more obvious. The enemies died just as easily, they just added a bunch more of them and made me take more damage.

A few of the chapters and bosses felt like good old NG, but most of them felt as bad as Buddha boss in NGS2. The bosses that were cool felt like they had horrible AI. They would just continuously block my strings without trying to get out of them. I know this varies by person, but the framerate also made this a chore to play in parts.

It's much better than vanilla NG3, but still doesn't hold a candle to NG1 or 2. It's decent. Not great, not horrible.

I'd say it's worth playing, but wait for a price drop.

I played through the entire thing on the wii u pad. That thing is mad comfortable, yo.

excellent, this and zombi-u and the wii u itself will the best self bought christmas present.

Het_Nkik

There's a Golden Scarab on Day 5 at the end of the level... Is this possible to get in Chapter Challenge? It was behind a "wall" that appeared to keep me from progressing while I fought enemies, and then the boss appeared, and then the level ends. Which kind of made it impossible to get the scarab. Which makes it seem like the only way to get it is to replay story mode up until that point again, and that just sounds awful.

There's a Golden Scarab on Day 5 at the end of the level... Is this possible to get in Chapter Challenge? It was behind a "wall" that appeared to keep me from progressing while I fought enemies, and then the boss appeared, and then the level ends. Which kind of made it impossible to get the scarab. Which makes it seem like the only way to get it is to replay story mode up until that point again, and that just sounds awful.

You can definitely unlock scarabs in chapter challenge. I have found a few that I missed while going through the story.

Het_Nkik

Oh, I know, I've snagged a few already in Chapter Challenge. It's just this particular scarab which seems unobtainable due to the nature of Chapter Challenge cutting the fluff out of the levels.

Revan

Oh, I know, I've snagged a few already in Chapter Challenge. It's just this particular scarab which seems unobtainable due to the nature of Chapter Challenge cutting the fluff out of the levels.

I think I know which one you are talking about.

Spoiler tag just cause:

Is it the one right after the Grip of Murder sequence in the story? If so - in the chapter challenge you'll get to the spot where it is supposed to trigger, but doesn't. Go up the steps and follow around to the right *I think it is the right* - you'll see it there.

The other one that has a placement change is when you are fighting along Momiji in the story in the giant open circled area right before the Spider Witch. It's hidden in the web on the bottom right hand side *you need to be facing the webbed steps*.

Hope this helps.

Het_Nkik

The other one that has a placement change is when you are fighting along Momiji in the story in the giant open circled area right before the Spider Witch. It's hidden in the web on the bottom right hand side *you need to be facing the webbed steps*. [/spoiler]

Hope this helps.

It's this one. I could see it in the web but I couldn't touch it. Can I cut the web or something? I can't remember if I tried : p

Revan

It's this one. I could see it in the web but I couldn't touch it. Can I cut the web or something? I can't remember if I tried : p

You should be able to just walk up to it and grab it - however - I had a problem with this too and after the second time realized I had to grab it mid battle (when you get the down period between waves).

This game can be stupid sometimes. Final boss spoilers:
WHY IS CANNA'S HAND A VALID TARGET!? There's no way to damage her, yet Ryu wants to attack it instead of nicely grouped mobs that are about to jump him.

Deku Tree

How do I beat the final boss?

The first one, her DAD. I can't beat him on Normal. What is the good way to do it?

I am using the Kasuri-gama, level 2. I don't understand why ppl say this guy is easy. He can break my combos and hit me almost at will. I can never break his combos. I can hit him 20-30 times, but he only needs to hit me 3-5 times to kill me. Very cheap team ninja.

What are the good strats?

Skilletor

How do I beat the final boss?

The first one, her DAD. I can't beat him on Normal. What is the good way to do it?

I am using the Kasuri-gama, level 2. I don't understand why ppl say this guy is easy. He can break my combos and hit me almost at will. I can never break his combos. I can hit him 20-30 times, but he only needs to hit me 3-5 times to kill me. Very cheap team ninja.

What are the good strats?

He didn't have hitstun, so I would just swing twice and wait for him to retaliate. I don't have that weapon. I used the dragon sword. The staff went right through him on the second attack. :/

Shitty ass hitboxes.

Deku Tree

He didn't have hitstun, so I would just swing twice and wait for him to retaliate. I don't have that weapon. I used the dragon sword. The staff went right through him on the second attack. :/

Shitty ass hitboxes.

Got him with the dragon sword. YYXXX five or six times did it !

TentPole

I like playing it on the Wii U pad. Some may prefer the pro controller. But I didn't feel like it was necessary.

I bought a pro controller for this and Sonic. Ended up still preferring both on the pad, but it is nice if you don't want to worry about battery life.

ugh another damn glitch missed the jump in the ice cave when you slide down jump and glide in the air I was suppose to press something to avoid the ice pillar but I hit it.

now I am stuck at the bottom of the slide leaping off to my death repeatedly without being able to trigger to flying float

what button triggers this? I would have to go to my last save point if I can't pass this glitch

JoeFu

Banned
I hate those dodging things. I always keep my finger on ZL + control stick and A and press them simultaneously whenever it goes into that bullet time thing. Sucks you ran into a glitch on that. Usually the ninja dive thing triggered when you jump off a scripted ledge.

Only glitch I ran into was with Ayane when you had to slide under that door to proceed. I got caught on the wall and didn't slide under the door but the camera panned and and the door closed so I couldn't go on. Hoping to best the game today after I turn in my last project for this semester.

Skilletor

I turned off the prompts and then turned them back on, but the only thing that would continuously appear would be the stupid tutorial things I already knew about (press X to kill!).

The buttons that showed me what action they were looking for in the QTEs never came back, lol. During one of the bosses, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do, dodge, slide, attack? I died like 4 times at the QTE :/.

Het_Nkik

If you hit every button during those slow down parts you'll pass it. I mean most are obvious like when you need to jump or wall cling, but for stuff where you may need to dodge or slice through something coming at you I just hit L and directions and X and I never died on any of them. I turned off the prompts early on because they're ugly as hell.

I hate those dodging things. I always keep my finger on ZL + control stick and A and press them simultaneously whenever it goes into that bullet time thing. Sucks you ran into a glitch on that. Usually the ninja dive thing triggered when you jump off a scripted ledge.

Only glitch I ran into was with Ayane when you had to slide under that door to proceed. I got caught on the wall and didn't slide under the door but the camera panned and and the door closed so I couldn't go on. Hoping to best the game today after I turn in my last project for this semester.

I like the big set pieces those things bring but when I fail and have to start that trigger again is sucks but enjoying the game overall cannot wait to finish it though

just got Ayane for the second time

edit: man Ayane feels so much better to fight with

Deku Tree

Finally beat story mode. Got 50 scarabs. Alternate costumes show up in the cut scenes, they sort of mess them up too since Ryu pretends to be putting his mask back on even though he never took it off in his alt costume.

Deku Tree

I called to see if I could trade this game in at Gamestop. Thought I would buy it back later after a price drop. They offered me $17 in store credit. For $17, I'll keep it.

this stupid vehicle mission is the worst!

On the Right, On the Left now, they coing from Behind! FUUUUUUUU
:(

edit: OMG that was a bitch... got the final weapon heading to the final boss

that was so corny :3

now I can use that sweet DLC sheesh what an exhausting game
KuGsj.gif

okay what is the Unknown Ninja and why does he level up? What am I using it for online?
Ninja Trials seem easier with the other characters and I read you unlock stuff for Momiji there

In Chapter Challenge:
Momiji is like super weak right now need to grind and get her weapon to level 3 I just got it to level 2 it seems I am moving much faster now on level 2 but it will take a bit to get to that level 3 weapon

cleared the first Day with Momiji tried it again with Ryu but I only see records for Ryu completing it somehow I lost Momiji's save?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
okay what is the Unknown Ninja and why does he level up? What am I using it for online?
Ninja Trials seem easier with the other characters and I read you unlock stuff for Momiji there

In Chapter Challenge:
Momiji is like super weak right now need to grind and get her weapon to level 3 I just got it to level 2 it seems I am moving much faster now on level 2 but it will take a bit to get to that level 3 weapon

cleared the first Day with Momiji tried it again with Ryu but I only see records for Ryu completing it somehow I lost Momiji's save?

Unknown Ninja is your Clan Battle character. As he levels up he actually gets some abilities/perks the others do not get, which are used in multiplayer battles.

If you are going to go through all the ninja trials use the unknown ninja since he can level weapons up to level 5 among other perks that he gets.

Does the head gear, armor, and the kanji do anything other than just items to wear?

I did not feel any better wearing armor than not

If you are going to go through all the ninja trials use the unknown ninja since he can level weapons up to level 5 among other perks that he gets.

Got to get Momiji's 50 out of the way trying to find the easies and fastest trial she can grind fast

Started to use Dual Swords for my generic ninja since they don't seem to be a popular weapon. Actually managed to find online games but it's still a ghost town.

Can I grind Karma with one character and use them to unlock skills for another?

I checked today and you cannot. Momiji doesnt even earn karma for the ninja trials. She just starts out with everything maxed when you select her. The karma you earn playing her doesnt even count towards your overall level. My god though she is such a beast, she just wrecks bosses like Alma and Doku.

I checked today and you cannot. Momiji doesnt even earn karma for the ninja trials. She just starts out with everything maxed when you select her. The karma you earn playing her doesnt even count towards your overall level. My god though she is such a beast, she just wrecks bosses like Alma and Doku.

edit: I don't think she is maxed out in Ninja Trials... I think you have what you have from Chapter Challenge because I remember how slow she was until I maxed her weapon

I've noticed she gets a karma score for clearing the trial but yeah gets nothing.

Chapter Challenged boned me just now tried Day 3... impossible to run from the Helicopter Dropping Bombs on normal? can't believe how many times I failed it just had to quit.

I have 41 golden scarabs so I need to be able to get through these stages again to find the others but damn I was doing so well on normal until now.

my hands are hurting again game got intense, guess I can't grind everything in a day... it may take a month before I see new customs

I'm stuck on a boss to the point that, frankly, It's keeping me from wanting to finish the game. If I drop down to hero, can I bring it back to normal after I beat the boss? Will I miss out on any unlocks by doing that?

Revan

I'm stuck on a boss to the point that, frankly, It's keeping me from wanting to finish the game. If I drop down to hero, can I bring it back to normal after I beat the boss? Will I miss out on any unlocks by doing that?

Go ahead and change. The game doesn't penalize you for changing the difficulty midway through, and you can revert back whenever you want.

Keep in mind this only works on Normal - you can't change on the higher difficulties.

Top Bottom