• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

kaioshade

I am enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. Using obliteration techniques, dodging, chaining steel on bone, slashing a few more times, cancelling into UT and taking out the remainder of the room is VERY satisfying. And the Eclipse Scythe is still as fun as ever. I LOVE the extra steel on bone range it has. But the Dragon Sword is still my go to weapon. I suck ass with Lunar.

addyb

Thinking of picking this up when it hits the UK on 11th Jan (I think) so not read all of this thread yet but whats the general consensus GAF? I'm a massive fan of the series but avoided NG3 due to the average to poor reviews. Is this version fixed enough so it becomes at least worthy of a try out?

tim1138

Go ahead and change. The game doesn't penalize you for changing the difficulty midway through, and you can revert back whenever you want.

Keep in mind this only works on Normal - you can't change on the higher difficulties.

Oh that's good to hear, the end of Day 6 for Ayane is driving me crazy.

EDarkness

I'm definitely going to pick this game up after the holidays. I've never purchased a modern Ninja Gaiden before, so this will be my first. The new characters look great.

Revan

Thinking of picking this up when it hits the UK on 11th Jan (I think) so not read all of this thread yet but whats the general consensus GAF? I'm a massive fan of the series but avoided NG3 due to the average to poor reviews. Is this version fixed enough so it becomes at least worthy of a try out?

At a discount. Some of what was broken has been fixed, but the hitboxes, recovery animations and targeting are not up to series standards. The story (I know lol) is the worst I think I have ever seen in gaming.

I'd say it's a good 6.5 or 7 out of 10, where as NG3 was a -9/10.

Oh that's good to hear, the end of Day 6 for Ayane is driving me crazy.

My first time through with Ayane was similar - drove me insane. You have enough room to isolate enemies however and the Izuna Drop worked wonders for me going through it.

Good luck.

G-Fex

Played more of it today.

I LOVE IT.

It's awesome, seems more action oriented from and less about item/weapon ammo collecting eh?

Still I love it a lot.

addyb

At a discount. Some of what was broken has been fixed, but the hitboxes, recovery animations and targeting are not up to series standards. The story (I know lol) is the worst I think I have ever seen in gaming.

My first time through with Ayane was similar - drove me insane. You have enough room to isolate enemies however and the Izuna Drop worked wonders for me going through it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info mate. I will either pick it up using credit i have with amazon or shopto. Either way the game should only cost me £20 so i guess its worth a shot at that price.

Revan

Thanks for the info mate. I will either pick it up using credit i have with amazon or shopto. Either way the game should only cost me £20 so i guess its worth a shot at that price.

At £20 it would be totally worth it.

I paid full price and kind of regret it, but the DLC has helped extend the game somewhat and the chapter challenges are a blast to play (they totally eliminate the most useless stuff from the story and it plays well). I cannot wait for Kasumi lol.

It's a fun action game, but a sub par NG game. You'll get your £20 worth for sure tho.

Good luck.
You must've started playing games around three years ago, no? There's no way I can take that statement seriously.

tim1138

Good luck.

I honestly think that was the hardest boss fight, or at least the most annoying.

Beat the game last night and had a blast with it, but I didn't play the original NG3 release so I can't compare it across platforms.

Revan

You must've started playing games around three years ago, no? There's no way I can take that statement seriously.

To each his own. I understand that the story in NG games are an afterthought but in this case I found it absurd and totally pointless, even for the NG series.

For the record I've been gaming since the SMS/NES era.

tim1138

Looks like the Kasumi update is live, as I'm downloading a new update right now.

-edit-
Yep, Kasumi is now available.

hayejin

Kind of hate Kasumi. Her defense seems to be crazy low which makes bosses a pain in the ass.

One of her skills you can buy is the quick evade using your Ki (LT + B).

Works wonders against bosses. If you use it right when the boss or enemies attack, she teleports right behind the enemy and you can unleash hell right after. I just finished all chapters using Kasumi with not much problem.

I jumped right into challenges with Kasumi.. haven't touched the main game yet..

So much blood.. so much gore.. guys getting chopped in half left and right.. it's glorious.

seems they went well beyond re-adding dismemberment lol

qq more

How is the online co-op in this? Is there co-op for story mode? Never played NG before but I'm starved for some good Wii U online co-op games.

Het_Nkik

One of her skills you can buy is the quick evade using your Ki (LT + B).

Works wonders against bosses. If you use it right when the boss or enemies attack, she teleports right behind the enemy and you can unleash hell right after. I just finished all chapters using Kasumi with not much problem.

I barely managed to make my way through Day 8 with her on Normal D: I'm just no good with her against non-human-sized enemies. I really like her grab you can do with LT+A, but other than that, ehhhhh. Much prefer Momiji.

Also don't like that you can't do a jumping long distance single projectile with her. Makes taking out rocket launchers and bows a pain. And helicopters. Eh.

kunonabi

So is there any point to using a weapon other than the sword or claws in clan battle? The sword kills in three hits even with lvl 3 health and the club/kusari-gama takes far longer and people keep dodging/mashing out of the strings. Is there something to this I'm missing?

Mesharey

You can change voices to Japanese, right ?

I don't like Kasumi's screems.

These videos look good. :)
Can you do later videos at max levels for her skills ?

Skilletor

You can change voices to Japanese, right ?

I don't like Kasumi's screems.

Theses videos look good. :)
Can you do later videos at max levels for her skills ?

No jpn voices. :-(

I will do some more videos when I have her skills leveled. Hopefully this weekend.

B00TE

Got this for Christmas, enjoying it greatly. Was surprised to see Kasumi as playable when I patched the game Christmas morning. :p

Actually been spending most of my play time in the ninja trials, though I started the main game last night so I could unlock Ayane for the trials. Main game has been better than I'd expected, only real complaint is that I would've liked to have a bit more exploration available to me, but the combat has been good enough so far that I can overlook that for now.

Izuna drop head explosions are still super satisfying to me, haha.

Revan

Main game has been better than I'd expected, only real complaint is that I would've liked to have a bit more exploration available to me, but the combat has been good enough so far that I can overlook that for now.

Wait for it.

Some of the bosses in this game are truly terrible.

Good to hear you are enjoying it tho :)

Het_Nkik

No idea how it is, haven't tried it out. Don't really have the urge to play Ninja Gaiden co-op, ya know?

Story mode is not co-opable. It's only for Ninja Trials and such, which are waves of enemies (and sometimes bosses as you get into the harder ones).

qq more

Story mode is not co-opable. It's only for Ninja Trials and such, which are waves of enemies (and sometimes bosses as you get into the harder ones).

Damn, I always love campaign co-op in games. I wonder if Ninja Trials is any fun though.... Hmm...

I've been playing the first game on my Xbox a lot again recently (which I got on release day back in 2004), and I just got around to getting II on the Xbox 360 last month, and I finally got this one on Christmas day. I just got up to Day 8 a moment ago before I had to stop playing. I've been having a total blast with the game. I really love it. One of my top games of the year...though, I admit that I have not played a lot of 2012 games. Hah.

I'm definitely going to replay all of the levels with Ayane, Kasumi, and Momiji later on. They were a ton of fun to use when I tried them out. Can't wait to play some more!

And just so you know, I also played the Xbox 360 demo for the original version of 3 a few times, and...yeah, it wasn't very fun. Razor's Edge is such a huge improvement over that, it's not even funny, man.

Made my first Wii U video. I recorded some Kasumi gameplay, still warming up to this game learning the basics, but its extremely fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTy_Qffjfa8&feature=share&list=UUmxr5GH8f-LowiKZxMpnsOA

Anyone have tips on fighting the soldiers with the daggers?
Team Ninja made some incredible changes to Kasumi compared to the other characters to mix the gameplay up a bit. She gains the NGB style flying swallow that the other characters are missing but she doesn't have their long range attack efficiency. It really changes the strategy in battles and I'm not sure how I'll make it past some of the more difficult areas on hard without that eagle vision ability.

She seems like she's got more finishers than the other characters too or maybe that's just my imagination. I love her unlockable DOA move where she kicks enemies into the air. If you time the strong attack right on dismembered enemies when they're coming back down she'll catch them on her sword and cut them in two.

So good :)

GrayFoxPL

Made my first Wii U video. I recorded some Kasumi gameplay, still warming up to this game learning the basics, but its extremely fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTy_Qffjfa8&feature=share&list=UUmxr5GH8f-LowiKZxMpnsOA

Nice video.

Funny seeing Kasumi sissy ninja turning into Jack the Ripper. :D

Game runs well until 4.53sec where just two rocket launcher enemies cause the game to crawl. Wtf why didn't they optimize this?

Finished vanilla ps3 on hard, and there were sections with 5-6 rocket launchers and shitload of projectiles on screen. I fear how those run in Razor's, if they didn't cut it.

OmegaZero

Try attacking right after they do a combo, or dodge their telegraphed throw and Steel on Bone them with X.

Also, my impressions so far after getting this a few days ago...

The good:
+It's basically NG2's combat system slapped into NG3, which is nice.
+Love the way SOB is now a throw counter.
+I appreciate the removed/changed "interactive events" that messed up the pacing.
+Those kunoichi outfits have become even more slutty.
+Kasumi is an awesome addition to an already fleshed out selection of characters.
+No playable Rachel.

The bad:
-Terrible slowdown. I hesitate to call them framerate issues, but the action mirrors the infamous NG2 stairwell at times.
-Dumb QTE's are everywhere. I want to dismember whoever thought up of the kunai climbing and squirrel gliding segments.
-Targeting issues. I've missed more Flying Swallows/attacks in this game then I have in the entire series.
-Something is off about the controls. I don't know exactly what yet.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. Especially the
Fiend Ryu
fights.
Also, fighting the T-Rex was just as hilarious as watching people fight it on YouTube.

Dantis

How necessary is a Pro Controller for this?

For the next few months, this is the only Wii U game I'm interested in, so if I can avoid getting a Pro Controller, I will.

I played through day 5 with Kasumi yesterday and I noticed that the beginning of the level ran much more smoothly than it did with Ryu. I think that they may have toned down the fog effects but I have to play again with another character to be sure. The game's performance is so random depending on the character and difficulty level but it sure feels good when the game is running smoothly.

For the next few months, this is the only Wii U game I'm interested in, so if I can avoid getting a Pro Controller, I will.
My Newegg pro controller still hasn't shipped so I've played through the entire game with the tablet without any issues. It kind of surprised me how well it works so I'm not sure what use the pro will be for me aside from a local multi controller.
Anyone know if local co-op is possible?

It says so on the official site, but I can't find an option in-game.
You can co-op in the ninja challanges.

Skilletor

I have a pro controller, but I haven used it for ng at all. The wii u pad is surprisingly comfortable.

Top Bottom