• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

OmegaZero

Sigh, I can't beat the 3 Alchemists playing as Ayane...I always get so close, and then dead.

You gotta go for just one. Maybe use the Y, Y, -> Y, Y, ect combo since it gives you extra invincibility frames and fast dash attacks.

Try to hit them right after they do an attack.

Also, from GameFAQS, a cheesier strategy:
thekrz said:
Unless they fixed the glitch with the new patch, this is by far the easiest fight in the entire game, even on UNM.

All you have to do is die once, and while the game's loading, charge up a UT. When you land from the UT, charge up again, and do this over and over until all three are dead. This will not only freeze them in place but keep them from attacking you in any way. Move from one to another by using UTs and be sure not to move around using the analog stick because it seems that's when they become "alive."

Kyon

Banned
I'm about to CRY AND SCREAM and THROW THE GAMEPAD AND DESTROY MY WIIU and TV.

FRAK these Assassins Creed/Air Bender guys in Day2. Frak it all. Why is this game so hard? I've been struggling throughout this whole thing. I am not here for this

Skilletor

I'm about to CRY AND SCREAM and THROW THE GAMEPAD AND DESTROY MY WIIU and TV.

FRAK these Assassins Creed/Air Bender guys in Day2. Frak it all. Why is this game so hard? I've been struggling throughout this whole thing. I am not here for this

Play on Hero.

Giolon

Welp, the $45 Target sale tipped me over the edge and I bought this and a Wii U yesterday. The console itself, I'm tepid on, but holy crap this game!

I think the cool reception it's largely gotten from critics is based on the foul taste in their mouth leftover from the original release. This version fixes up just about every complaint I'd read about, or experienced in the demo, of the original. No pleading enemies, no "hit X to feel remorse" sections, no steel on bone QTE events popping up in the middle of combat, fewer and less finicky wall-climbing sections, Karma scoring, multiple weapons, character progression, multiple characters, and no boring arm-clutching slow kill sections. The Spidertank boss felt right at home w/ other classic NG bosses to me, and Ryu still has the worst fucking problems with helicopters existing (and vice versa).

I mean, damn if this game doesn't feel like a proper sequel to NGS, I don't know what does. Plus I've finally gotten the chance to play as Kasumi, something I've been waiting almost 10 years for ever since Ayane showed up as a guest role in the original Xbox game. Kasumi is a badass mofo.

Also @ Kyon, holy shit that boss was ridiculously hard. I almost threw my shit too, but you know what? That's part of NG to me. XD I eventually managed to beat them with a combination of luck, good comboing and dodging, and some minor UT spam.

Kyon

Banned
^^Actually there are slow walkin arm parts lol but yeah I just spammed UT :eek:

But anyway oh my O__O Hero is amazing. It auto dodges away from 1HKOs amazing. I'm waaaaay less frustrated than usual. On Day 4. Lawd when am I getting new weapons? I still only have the 2 from the beginning

OmegaZero

^^Actually there are slow walkin arm parts lol but yeah I just spammed UT :eek:

But anyway oh my O__O Hero is amazing. It auto dodges away from 1HKOs amazing. I'm waaaaay less frustrated than usual. On Day 4. Lawd when am I getting new weapons? I still only have the 2 from the beginning

Look for Golden Scarabs.
I think you unlock a weapon of two by collecting a certain amount of them.

L Thammy

Well I completed the story on Normal and Master Ninja, played a few chapter challenges with other characters, and played some online Ninja Trials. Playing as anyone other than Ryu in Chapter Challenges could be considered separate PTs, I suppose, since if you unlock a new difficulty for that mode they start with no abilities learned. Only Unknown Ninja needs to be leveled up for online modes.

Alright, sounds good to me. I'll bite.

So Ryu's abilities remain for all difficulties, but other characters start each difficulty from scratch? That seems kind of weird. Does it reset their abilities for Ninja Trials too?

So Ryu's abilities remain for all difficulties, but other characters start each difficulty from scratch? That seems kind of weird. Does it reset their abilities for Ninja Trials too?
What I meant was that Ryu's abilities from story transfer over to the Chapter Challenge on a per difficulty basis, while other characters have to start from scratch (well, maybe not Ayane I haven't checked to see if her abilities transfer too since she is played during the story as well). If you start a new story game on a new difficulty, Ryu will have to start from scratch (and then what abilities you learn on that difficulty carry over to the Chapter Challenge unlocked for the same difficulty).

Ninja Trials are different from Chapter Challenge in that regard, where only the Unknown Ninja (basically a generic version of Ryu that can eventually have longer combos) can actually level up, every other character is treated as already having maxed everything (except costumes).

farnham

Banned
So the initial impressions of people like arthur gies was that razors edge is worse than the ps360 version. Now i read its better but still a meh game. What is the gafpinion? I might pick it up as it is finally released in europe.

Dantis

So the initial impressions of people like arthur gies was that razors edge is worse than the ps360 version. Now i read its better but still a meh game. What is the gafpinion? I might pick it up as it is finally released in europe.

Main combat seems excellent from the small amount I've seen. Boss fights are still absolute turd.

Skilletor

The game is MUCH better than the vanilla release. I wouldn't say it's a meh game. It has its moments of awesomeness (chapt 4, chapt 5), and moments of wtf (dino boss).

The framerate is preventing me from pursuing higher difficulty levels and challenges, but if that doesn't bother you, then there's tons of content to be had here. The challenges are really fun, 3 characters with full movesets (as opposed to NGS1 and 2 where everybody felt like half a character), and the ability to play through the entire game in sections with anybody you choose after you've finished the game.

I think the game is good. I would recommend it, especially at a price drop.

Dantis

The game is MUCH better than the vanilla release. I wouldn't say it's a meh game. It has its moments of awesomeness (chapt 4, chapt 5), and moments of wtf (dino boss).

The framerate is preventing me from pursuing higher difficulty levels and challenges, but if that doesn't bother you, then there's tons of content to be had here. The challenges are really fun, 3 characters with full movesets (as opposed to NGS1 and 2 where everybody felt like half a character), and the ability to play through the entire game in sections with anybody you choose after you've finished the game.

I think the game is good. I would recommend it, especially at a price drop.

Some great fan service too. When Doku showed up in the first Test of Valour, I was like "OH SHIT".

Then I got killed. It was still awesome.

Dantis

After I got to Doku, I figured I'd leave all the tests for a second run (Assuming you can do them in Chapter Challenge?). I love his inclusion though.

I finished Day 2 before I turned it off, and holy crap that boss is bad. No idea why they've improved most aspects so much but the boss fights are still so bad.

Bog

Junior Ace
Day 2 can honestly go fuck itself. 5 minutes into stage 2 and I have to beat 20 groups of enemies while getting rockets shot at me, then fight some motorcycle guys, then more regular guys as the rocket guys appear again. Seriously, fuck you. No one likes this.

Dantis

Day 2 can honestly go fuck itself. 5 minutes into stage 2 and I have to beat 20 groups of enemies while getting rockets shot at me, then fight some motorcycle guys, then more regular guys as the rocket guys appear again. Seriously, fuck you. No one likes this.

You on normal?

OmegaZero

Doku was hilariously easy in the Test of Valor.
I don't think he's equipped to deal with the faster combat system - especially when it comes to the girls.

EDIT: Genshin did kick my ass the first coule of times though.
Maybe I should see if the old Sigma 2 loops still work.

Skilletor

Yes. My little MiiVerse buddies said it's not that bad. I'd classify having to beat 25 enemies in a little arena while rockets are constantly hitting you, all with one life bar as "bad".

It isn't that bad. :p Be sure to buy the focus ability for your bow and arrow, that way you can jump and auto-aim at all of the rocket folks. Take them out first. Always. Every time you fight people with ranged weapons, take them out first.

I thought this was by far the easiest Ninja Gaiden, even though the first couple of chapters weren't balanced for the new changes.

Dantis

Yes. My little MiiVerse buddies said it's not that bad. I'd classify having to beat 25 enemies in a little arena while rockets are constantly hitting you, all with one life bar as "bad".

Is this your first Ninja Gaiden? Because once you're familiar with the combat, it's really not a problem. Dodge lots. Abuse OTs. Remember that Ninpo refills health.

Doku was hilariously easy in the Test of Valor.
I don't think he's equipped to deal with the faster combat system - especially when it comes to the girls.

EDIT: Genshin did kick my ass the first coule of times though.
Maybe I should see if the old Sigma 2 loops still work.

I did decent damage to Doku, but the flame breath hit me, and it annihalates your health bar.

You can do the tests in chapter challenge. I have beaten 4 of them so far but man they do get hard. Your health bar not refilling all the way between rounds makes the boss fights at the end of the tests so tough.

Will receive it later today as it was on sale for $40. Glad I skipped the vanilla releases, and the free DLC was a great incentive for me to bite on.

Bog

Junior Ace
It isn't that bad. :p Be sure to buy the focus ability for your bow and arrow, that way you can jump and auto-aim at all of the rocket folks. Take them out first. Always. Every time you fight people with ranged weapons, take them out first.

I take them out when I can, but usually tapping the right trigger focuses on the guys on the ground, not the idiots on the ledges.

Skilletor

I take them out when I can, but usually tapping the right trigger focuses on the guys on the ground, not the idiots on the ledges.

I haven't had that problem. Most of the time the bow focuses on the target farthest away for me. If it isn't, make sure that there are no other enemies in front of you to aim at.

coughlanio

I finally ordered this online, after hell trying to find it at retail here in Ireland. It seems like Nintendo opted for a really soft launch here in the EU, with most retailers not even stocking it, online and brick & mortar...

Anyway, apart from playing a small bit of NG: Black on XBOX back in the day, and not thinking much, I decided to grab this. I've always been interested in the series, but was always turned off by the apparent learning curve...is it really that bad?

Skilletor

I finally ordered this online, after hell trying to find it at retail here in Ireland. It seems like Nintendo opted for a really soft launch here in the EU, with most retailers not even stocking it, online and brick & mortar...

Anyway, apart from playing a small bit of NG: Black on XBOX back in the day, and not thinking much, I decided to grab this. I've always been interested in the series, but was always turned off by the apparent learning curve...is it really that bad?

If you've never played an NG game, probably. If you're having trouble, switch to Hero mode.

Found a great way to handle Regeant, attack while he is still doing his last swing of one of his combos and aim for hitting him just as it finishes, and he'll have recovery frames that leave him vulnerable. Was able to beat him very quickly on Chapter 1 this way.

You might be standing in a spot in the shadows where the game can't find an angle, which has happened to me a couple of times before.

Got the game yesterday and got to Day 5. Last Ninja Gaiden I played was 2. I really miss having essence all over the place and instant charging UTs instead of the bloody rage system that's in now. Aside from that, I enjoy going for Steel on Bone counters and after Day 2, I've been getting back into the swing of things as it's becoming much more satisfying to play. WTF at the dinosaur though and the climbing kunai parts. :S

OmegaZero

I did decent damage to Doku, but the flame breath hit me, and it annihalates your health bar.

As soon as it comes out, slide forward-right toward where he first started breathing the flames. You should end up right next to him while he is still breathing fire.

Effect

Nice. Last played the game before the Kasumi update took place. It seems that update unlocks the chapter challenge mode so you can play it without beating the game's story mode. I haven't played it yet but it seems all the levels can be picked in the menu. Same for hard mode as well.

Bog

Junior Ace
Will playing through on Hero actually help me get better (or good enough to play Normal next time through), or will it just baby me?

It makes the game easier by adding what's practically a cheat code (autoblocking) instead of just making stuff easier, so I do think it would be a detriment to skill if you're looking to get better.

It makes the game easier by adding what's practically a cheat code (autoblocking) instead of just making stuff easier, so I do think it would be a detriment to skill if you're looking to get better.

I agree. I think if you really want to improve stay on normal and just keep trying. Eventually you will get the hag on always blocking and always moving. The main thing the game punishes is standing still. Ryu should always be moving unless he is charging up a UT.

Yeah, it's definitely a really fun game. It's no NGB, NGS, or NG2, especially with some of the level design in 3, but they've done a good enough job that pulls 3 from the dredges (from what I've heard) into something enjoyable. Test of Valours have been great as well. Can't wait to start using Momiji and Kasumi. :)

Skilletor

Yeah, it's definitely a really fun game. It's no NGB, NGS, or NG2, especially with some of the level design in 3, but they've done a good enough job that pulls 3 from the dredges (from what I've heard) into something enjoyable. Test of Valours have been great as well. Can't wait to start using Momiji and Kasumi. :)

Pretty much.

I imagine this game now is how the hardcore feel about DmC. It's not as good as DMC, but it's a decent action game.

NG3RE isn't as good as any NG, but it's a decent action game.

Top Bottom