• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Beta Impressions

USD

*SPOILER WARNING*

Don't expect professional writing, I'm trying to cover as much as I can in as little time possible. I'll apologize now for the sloppy writing style.

So I just spent a good hour playing NGII, courtesy of the Ninja Gaiden II tour. It was a much smaller event than I expected, the flyers I saw made it out to be a tournament, but it was really just 3 or 4 guys playing the game. I played the most, managing to complete the first chapter and part of the second, trying out both of the available difficulty levels (Path of the Acolyte and Path of the Warrior).

PROBLEMS

First let's get the bad stuff out of the way. The game in its current state seemed to be content complete, but there's still a lot of tweaking needed. Plenty of graphical glitches, in one of the cutscenes, there was a flickering table that was quite distracting. A lot of the problem you see in Sigma you'll see in here. Slow menu interface, considerable between-level loading, loading when picking up items, examining things, etc. Really annoying, hopefully they get the kinks out before release.

Other problems I saw. The camera is still pretty bad, not much upgraded over the first game. There was also some extreme slowdown in some areas, as the game would crawl at about half-speed and half-framerate for entire fights. Happened in maybe three or four fights. Also minor slowdown with some of the Ultimate Techniques, similar to what you've seen in first game. The reason I only got through half the second level was because the game froze, and with no saving. The Dragon statues were just for healing, and dying sent you back to the beginning of the level, possibly to the beginning of the game (of course me being a Master Ninja, I didn't die at all, but the other people got handled by the Path of the Warrior difficulty).

STORY

I think the story is shaping up to be much more involved and interesting than the first. It's looking to be better overall (though that doesn't take much).

*SPOILER WARNING*
*SPOILER WARNING*
*SPOILER WARNING*

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE FIRST TWO(ISH) CHAPTERS SPOILED FOR YOU (STORYWISE), DON'T READ

The area I was playing in was loud, I couldn't hear a lot of the dialogue and there were no subtitles. But I'll tell as much as I can.

This time around the story seems to be quite a bit more involved. The game starts out with some blonde chick named Sonya in Muramasa shop. What does she look like? Imagine this. Take Rachel physique and clothing style (slightly less fetishy) and give her DMC3 Dante's hair (though blonde) and Ebony and Ivory. Yeah, that's pretty much her. Not very imaginative, standard Team Ninja though.

Anyway, girl in shop, ninjas randomly bust in the shop, attack girl with the intentions of kidnapping her. Our resident Super Ninja shows up, takes out some of the ninjas, but even more show up, and the leader of the small gang manages to grab the girl and get away. Then the gameplay starts up.

The next cutscene stuff I remember had a tied-up Sonya being interrogated by a mysterious woman. Red trench coat, gray hair just past the shoulder, pale. Vampiric would probably be the easiest way to describe her.

The next one I don't remember well. Vampire woman and Sonya are in some futuristic jet, somehow Ryu saves her, and they have a little conversation. Apparently the

Archfiend is planning something, and the Hayabusa village is under attack. that's about all I caught. That wrapped up the first chapter.

The second chapter starts off with a fight between some special guy from the Spider clan fighting a Mitsurugi lookalike (maybe Ryu's father?). Couldn't hear names. That's all the story I got.

*END STORY SPOILERS*
*END STORY SPOILERS*
*END STORY SPOILERS*

GAMEPLAY

Anyone familiar with the first game will be right at home with II. It plays very similar to the first game, button assignments are pretty much the same, save First Person view (mapped to LB) and the interact button (RB). Forget to check if the Karma display was still there, it's possible it still is. In general, most combos are a bit longer than before, 4 hits being about the standard combo.

I only got to try out two melee weapons, the Dragon Sword and the Lunar Staff. Didn't get to see the upgraded form of the Lunar (upgrades were locked for the first chapter, and before I got a chance to buy it in the second the game froze), but I did level up the DS to level 2. The Dragon Sword is slightly upgraded compared to the first game, you start off with the Flying Swallow. Upgrading to level 2 gives you a second midair Swallow. Ryu also has the Guilotine Throw and Counter Attacks by default. Level 2 sword also gives you access to the Izuna Drop. A lot of the Lunar's combos got changed around, some moves and combos originally mapped to X are now mapped to Y, etc.

The ranged weapons where the shuriken and bow. The manual aiming for the bow is over-the-shoulder, similar to RE4. The bow is now chargeable, but I never really used it in combat, so I can't really tell you much about it.

Now for the fighting. There wasn't much enemy variety, you're fighting the Black Spider Clan the whole time. Sword guys, claw guys, bow guys, all stuff you've seen in videos. The man-spider bosses also show up twice. Enemies are a lot more hardy than they were in the first game. It takes at least 3-4 hits just to hack off a limb, while in the first game 3-4 hits usually was all you need to kill the weaker enemies. You're also fighting against large groups, usually 8ish ninjas at once. It can get quite hectic trying to see what's going on with all the enemies at once, but it's not overly hard to manage.

Counter attacks are a little different, trying to initiate a counter is similar to say the Guard Impact system from Soul Calibur. Ryu pushes is weapon forward to counter, leaving him vulnerable if he misses. A good addition, as countering was risk-free if you mistimed your button press.

After chopping off a body part, enemies stumble backwards usually, giving you a chance to pull off Obliteration Techniques. Pulling them off is easy, all you have to do is run up to an injured enemy and push Y. That specific enemy can't really retaliate (OTs have priority over pretty much anything it does), and once you intiate the move, you're invincible, similar to UTs. Seems a bit overpowered, but you'll still have other enemies around attacking you.

Ultimate Techniques (two yellows or one blue or red absorbed) and Essence Techinques (one yellow) are all long combo strings. I think ETs are the same as the UTs, just with the combo cut short to about half length. The UTs are beautiful and a lot more crazy than the first game. The on-landing charge is still there, and charging without essence is considerable faster. You can still whore out UTs like the first game, though the time from enemy death the essence drop seems longer.

The only Ninpo available was the Art of the Inferno. This time around, you can actively aim the fireball if you move the left thumbstick after press Y+B to start up the magic. Ninpo helps, but it won't completely bail you out.

I think the new health system works out very well. It won't save you mid-fight, but keeps the game pace up. Healing items are still there, but much less plentiful than the first game and more expensive. Both healing items and blue orbs are capable of healing into the red, and Dragon Statues completely refill. The blue orb drop rate also seems a bit lower. Between Dragon Statues, in the worst cases I experienced I had about a third of my health in the red.

I'm a Ninja Gaiden veteran, and have put in 100+ hours into NG1, so I'd say I'm an expert. Path of the Acolyte, was fairly push over, but Path of the Warrior gave me a bit of challenge. The enemies were more aggressive, still throw-happy, though maybe not as bad as the first game. I never died, but there several times I was struggling to finish the fight, and the semi-permanent health loss made later battles much tougher. Most enemy attacks were fairly weak. The two big damage dealers are the exploding shuriken kamikaze guys and the magical ninjas. Either attack can drain a good quarter of your health. I saw the other players fall victim to both (especially the kamikazes) on multiple occasions. I wasn't playing overly cautious, so based on what I played I'd say NG vets shouldn't have too much of a problem with Path of the Warrior.

*(Minor) BOSS STRATEGY SPOILERS*

The bosses were easier than I expected. There were a few scares here and there, but once you figure out what to do, it's pretty easy. Wait until the opportunity to attack, dodging in the maintime. Getting a full combo causes the man-spider to stumble. Run up to him and push Y to start up your OT, and I'm pretty sure the OT automatically finishes him off. The second time against another man-spider you also have regular ninjas fighting alongside him, changing up the tactics a bit. Of course you can use the small fries to get essences for UTs against the boss, which is what I did.

GRAPHICS

Not amazing, but overall good. Art direction is a noticeable better than the first game, and I'd say that in parts here and there the game looks gorgeous. The game is gory, but I didn't think it was really that extreme. Some of the textures were a little bland. The lighting isn't that great, probably worse than Sigma, but I found it didn't bother me much. There was also the aforementioned slowdown. But getting past the deficienies, I thought it looked good. Just good. I'd say the videos we've seen so far are a good representation of what I saw.

SOUND

Ntot much to say. Sound effects are nice, similar to the first game. I found Ryu's (English voice-acting) grunts to overused and annoying though. Overall the English voice acting seemed fine. The music was good, at least what I remember of it. It wasn't playing half the time due to some bug/glitch or something.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS

The game has got its issues, but the core gameplay is as good as ever. All the things added into the game are for the better. It may not seem much different from the first game just based on what I wrote, but trust me, it's different. The combination of the larger enemy groups, greater amount of enemy health, the limb system, the OT system, and the health system changes how Ninja Gaiden plays considerably. I never felt like I was just playing the first game with minor upgrades. I could see it getting a bit repetitive (it was mostly fight enemy group, move on repeat, with the occasional minor fetch-item puzzle), but I had a blast playing it.

FrankT

. The man-spider bosses also show up twice. Enemies are a lot more hardy than they were in the first game. It takes at least 3-4 hits just to hack off a limb, while in the first game 3-4 hits usually was all you need to kill the weaker enemies

Nearly broke a few controllers with NG1 this sounds like it's going to a repeat to the 9th degree.

Cannot wait.

USD

Testicular Sound Express said:
you make it sound like a huge rehash.
It's similar, but different. The way the limb system and OTs work, it changes how you played the game quite a bit. I'll give my final opinion on the beta soon enough.

No_Style

USD said:
Slow[/i] menu interface, considerable between-level loading, loading when picking up items, examining things, etc. Really annoying, hopefully they get the kinks out before release.

I do as well, but fortunately it's only a minor inconvenience.

Other problems I saw. The camera is still pretty bad, not much upgraded over the first game.

Oh...

Are there plenty of tight corridors? Based on the footage I've seen, it's a bit more open and less prone to camera problems. Tighter areas are the only areas where the camera goes to complete shit anyways.

Pulling them off is easy, all you have to do is run up to an injured enemy and push Y. That specific enemy can't really retaliate (OTs have priority over pretty much anything it does), and once you intiate the move, you're invincible, similar to UTs. Seems a bit overpowered, but you'll still have other enemies around attacking you.

I see plenty of opportunities to save my hide with this!

Mamesj

Banned
USD said:
It's similar, but different. The way the limb system and OTs work, it changes how you played the game quite a bit. I'll give my final opinion on the beta soon enough.

looking forward to it.

you make it sound like a huge rehash.

were you expecting NGII to be a rhythm-based FPS?

He is giving impressions based on a beta he played for a tiny bit, dont judge it yet.

That said, Ninja Gaiden 2 being Ninja Gaiden 1 but more is no big surprise.

Mamesj

Banned
Linkzg said:
That said, Ninja Gaiden 2 being Ninja Gaiden 1 but more is no big surprise.

what more could people want from it anyway? That's how action games go.

DMC and it's sequels play similarly, with the one big addition of real time weapon switching + new weapons/styles.

GoW 1,2, and CoP might as well be the same game with a couple new weapons and new stages.

This will be NG1 with new weapons, limb chopping, and supposedly better ninpo.

and I wouldn't have it any other way. No reason to drastically change a good thing :D

Narag

The-Switcher said:
Improved camera
SOMETHING different about the gameplay?

I remember a similar DMC4 thread where someone wanted the formula changed up and recommended vehicles :(

No_Style

The-Switcher said:
Improved camera

That's what I want as well, but what did you expect for the gameplay? They already introduced the whole hacking limbs trick. Did you want him to be able to go all CQC and be able to disarm his opponents and use their weapons for a short period of time?

I do...

FrankT

Mamesj said:

DMC and it's sequels play similarly, with the one big addition of real time weapon switching + new weapons/styles.

GoW 1,2, and CoP might as well be the same game with a couple new weapons and new stages.

and I wouldn't have it any other way. No reason to drastically change a good thing :D

Yup and considering how well recieved NG1 was with the press I see big things this time around. The gameplay should be simiiar, but making it harder, bloodier and more enemies just makes me want this game even more. As long as it has a solid story, which from what I've seen I'm certain it will, I'll be a very happy camper indeed. That latest video from GDC was just like the icing on the cake, but playing this beta would be the cherry on top, no doubt.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Agent Icebeezy said:
I never had a tough time managing the camera in Ninja Gaiden.
The original? Bridge fight level 2. *shudders*

That said, this sounds pretty cool. Hope they tighten it up.

The-Switcher said:
Improved camera
2aij9fr.gif

USD

Agent Icebeezy said:
I never had a tough time managing the camera in Ninja Gaiden.
I didn't have much problem with it, considering how much I played the first game, but people annoyed by it in the first game will still be in the second.

Mamesj said:

DMC1 to DMC3 (there was never a DMC2, strange thing Capcom did) was a pretty huge change gameplay wise. DMC3 to DMC4 wasnt that big for Dante, but Nero played totally different. GoW 1 played different than 2, but CoP is just like 2, still all three are fairly close.

and Sigma had Rachel, so if you want variety in play style in a NG game. New weapons also change it up slightly im sure.

Only thing they could have done to really change it up is introduce Ryu's shitty friends as extra playable characters. Ayane or whatever the purple haired chick goes by or the girl from the DS game who was lame could be the "quick character", Ryu could be the "balanced" character, then some fat american guy named Bob...wait, wrong series...well someone could be the heavy guy.

but that would suck. I never expected Ninja Gaiden 2 to be anymore than Ninja Gaiden 1.

oh, versus mode would be awesome.

FrankT

Y2Kev said:

Yea, I woud say that was a tough cookie with the camera their. Had to work it.

The bosses were easier than I expected

Does not compute.

So you are through the first chapter and half or so? How many bosses you talking here?

USD

_dementia said:
I can't wait for the demo.

I'm assuming the difficulty was toned down in this beta for the public?
I thought it was pretty good on Path of the Warrior. The average player probably shouldn't play it, but people who've put some time into the first game should be able to play though with a decent challange.

This might have been a beta, but it was essentially what I assume to be the full game in unpolished form.

Mamesj

Banned
Linkzg said:
DMC1 to DMC3 (there was never a DMC2, strange thing Capcom did) was a pretty huge change gameplay wise. DMC3 to DMC4 wasnt that big for Dante, but Nero played totally different. GoW 1 played different than 2, but CoP is just like 2, still all three are fairly close.

and Sigma had Rachel, so if you want variety in play style in a NG game. New weapons also change it up slightly im sure.

Only thing they could have done to really change it up is introduce Ryu's shitty friends as extra playable characters. Ayane or whatever the purple haired chick goes by or the girl from the DS game who was lame could be the "quick character", Ryu could be the "balanced" character, then some fat american guy named Bob...wait, wrong series...well someone could be the heavy guy.

but that would suck. I never expected Ninja Gaiden 2 to be anymore than Ninja Gaiden 1.

True, nero and DMC3 as a whole are pretty different from 1.

:lol @ ryu's shitty friends. I'm really not too fond of Rachel's missions. The whole second character thing is rough--if they're too good, you want to play the whole game as them. DMC4 gets a pass for having the Bloody Palace (though people still complained.)

If there's one thing I'd add, it'd be a 2 player campaign. NG3 (or Ninja Gaiden 2: White or Alpha or whatever) needs a whole 2 player mode, balanced like single-player for twice the frustration. Ayane or Hayate would work nice in the second spot.

jet1911

Y2Kev said:

I played the NG demo so much that when I played the final version I had absolutely no problems with the camera. I was repositioning almost every second during fights. :lol

Improved camera

I loved NG so even if it was the same game with new levels/weapons I'd be happy. The small change they added are more than enough for me. :D

Mrbob

The-Switcher said:
Improved camera

Cooking mini game for NG3 confirmed.

A true master ninja doesn't need a camera to babysit for him.

Mamesj said:
If there's one thing I'd add, it'd be a 2 player campaign. NG3 (or Ninja Gaiden 2: White or Alpha or whatever) needs a whole 2 player mode, balanced like single-player for twice the frustration. Ayane or Hayate would work nice in the second spot.

If only. Unfortunately as a genre, multiplayer beat'em ups have a long, long way to go before their combat works on the NG/DMC level.

Mamesj

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
If only. Unfortunately as a genre, multiplayer beat'em ups have a long, long way to go before their combat works on the NG/DMC level.

capcom or tecmo needs to do it. if done right, it could be seriously awesome.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
jet1911 said:
I loved NG so even if it was the same game with new levels/weapons I'd be happy. The small change they added are more than enough for me. :D

Same here. NG isn't at the point where the gameplay has gotten stale. It could do with a rehash or two (the different versions of the first game don't really count).

USD

For the most part, I've gotten most of the major content I want in the OP (save talk of graphics and sound and my final opinion). If anyone has specific requests for more info, I'll be happy add more.

Die Squirrel Die said:

One developer could have done it and it would be GOTY. Its a shame there will never be a God Hand 2.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
You really make it sound bad. Framerate slowdown, when the graphics aren't even complete...? I am worried now.

Narag

godhandiscen said:
You really make it sound bad. Framerate slowdown, when the graphics aren't even complete...? I am worried now.

I thought optimization like that came at the tailend of development and I doubt this was the latest build.

Zoc

What are the environments like in the beta?

I really burned out on caves and underworlds in NG1, I hope for more Japanese villages, forests, etc, in the sequel.

USD

Zoc said:
What are the environments like in the beta?

I really burned out on caves and underworlds in NG1, I hope for more Japanese villages, forests, etc, in the sequel.
You're in luck. So far I'd say the environments are shaping up to be much better than the first game.

godhandiscen said:
It may sound like it, but I'm really not. It's got its issues, but it's really about the sum of the parts. I'm about to get around to my final thoughts on it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
USD said:
Other problems I saw. The camera is still pretty bad, not much upgraded over the first game.

dqovev.gif

NG1's camera is probably the WORST 3d camera I've ever seen. It caused me to stop playing the first, and will prevent me from buying the second.

USD

alr1ghtstart said:
dqovev.gif

NG1's camera is probably the WORST 3d camera I've ever seen. It caused me to stop playing the first, and will prevent me from buying the second.
You are in generally open areas for most of the fights, so I don't think it's too bad.

Top Bottom