• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II details from Famitsu's latest "Team Ninja Freaks"

"Team NINJA Freaks" is a reoccuring column in the Xbox 360 Famitsu, and the latest has a bunch of tidbits about Ninja Gaiden II. XNinjaRed over at the ninjafortress forums was kind enough to translate.
XNinjaRed's translation said:
Vigoorian Flails work differently then in the previous version.

There are 8 main weapons to work with.

Path of the Acolyte will be very easy, but still be enjoyable.

The Fiend's Bane Bow can be charged, but the game is very fast already, so you can fire noncharged shots very quickly too.

People tend to have the wrong idea of an action game where enemies are punching bags rather then actual enemies. That's just stupid.

The military starts to experiment with bioweapons and fuses humans with mummies and such to give them partially immortality. Those bioweapons are needed for the ultimate weapon. They are called CIWS (Close Defense Weapon System), but I can't say more without revealing spoilers.

Eclipse Scythe's early level 1 movements were very harsh, but we've made it more harsh then ever with the new added moves in the higher levels. This will go with all weapons in this game. Every weapon has it's own way of fighting and they become more clear the higher their levels are. We also upgraded the Shuriken from what it usually was. Instead of throwing 4 Shurikens in a row, it's 5 now. It's a minor change, but might become useful.

The Gatling Speargun is still very useful in water, but it becomes more useful on land now.

The water is more interesting.
Actual waves of water affect your way of walking on it.
Gaja, the longtailed bone fiends you could find in the GDC demo, are amphibious, they can swim in the water.
They swim like snakes. If you make movement in water, the waves actually make them move differently.

In Helena's ending you see someone die by Ryu's dark Ninpo, that Ninpo will be in this game. That was not Victor Donova by the way, it was just a junior Executive. Donovan still lives and the story WILL continue. Donovan is much more ugly then the guy who died.

Art of the Pheonix Fire is an upgraded version of Art of the Firewheels.
Instead of the fires flying closely around Ryu, the fires take the forms of falcons and fly much longer around Ryu, and a bit further to make it more usful.

Recovery items are now in little powders. I thought it was stupid to have bottles of healing postions everywhere. "This time, Ryu uses drugs to heal" he said while laughing.

Armlets are discontinued. Ryu pretty much has all armlets on at the same time now.

This game will be an art of action, which is a good thing. Some games make you get tired of fighting, but not this game.

Every place gets decorated with your vengeance. You can always come back acd see all the dead bodies lying everywhere.

Continuity was put with Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, which is what makes that game exciting. But the game wasn't made to appeal to the hardcore fans, but to introduce people to the franchise, seeing how it's much more approachable.

We gave names to useful moves. Guard an attack and dash will make you dash with an after image, that move's called "Kingdom". A continuous wallrun is called "Shadowless Footsteps". You can do this anytime, but you get scrolls explaining how to do it. Those scrolls have videos to show what they are.

There are lots of enemies in this game. The Black Spider Ninjas from the previous game return, so no need to talk about them anymore. Alexia and the Werewolves are still a bit unpolished. Sonia is a Tomboyish Heroine. She kinda has the role of Ayane in the last game.

Some americans were able to finish the beta version in 15 hours, We're still adjusting that. The time playing is supposed to be huge.

Each weapon is useful now, but Dragon Sword is still the balanced weapon.
In the end of the game you'll have weapons for each situation.

People can compete in Master Ninja Tournaments.

The game will have DLC.

The Demo will come mid May.
I'm kinda bummed that:
a. we already know all 8 main weapons
b. water sections are returning (even if they are "improved")

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Damn. I need to have Live up and running by the time the demo comes out. lolz.

"Some americans were able to finish the beta version in 15 hours, We're still adjusting that."

Also hilarious. Maybe they were good at the game? Don't make it to broken and give it the DMC3(original edition) treatment for normal. Make that shit balanced.

soldat7

Itagaki said:
People tend to have the wrong idea of an action game where enemies are punching bags rather then actual enemies. That's just stupid.

I like his style and I like Ninja Gaiden.

RBH

The mid-May release date for the demo is absolutely perfect for me. Comes right after my exams are done, and I'll have a nice time getting comfortable with GTA IV and NG2 for the rest of the summer. :D

BTW, does anyone know where to get a relatively cheap copy of Ninja Gaiden Black? I can't find it in any local Gamestop store, and 5.9 GB is way too big for me to download onto my hard drive through XBL Originals.

Bebpo

Banned
I like how TN is like "Gamers can beat it in 15 hours!?! Time to pump up the difficulty and show them the floor again!"

Skilletor

In Helena's ending you see someone die by Ryu's dark Ninpo, that Ninpo will be in this game. That was not Victor Donova by the way, it was just a junior Executive. Donovan still lives and the story WILL continue. Donovan is much more ugly then the guy who died.

DoA5 confirmed.

soco

E3 demo confirmed!

so much good stuff coming up, including hopefully the big unveiling of some other games :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Juicy details, and I shall be there mid-May - hot damn!

Love that they are tweaking the game to make it even longer/difficult...

sennin

I hope their idea of extending average game play time includes at least 2 new, unique boss designs and 2 more unique dungeons to prowl through, otherwise it will be prone to criticisms of inflated, artificial length. See DMC 4, missions 12~17, and 19.

With this out of the way, day 1!

DoA5 confirmed.

Pretty much..:D

E3 demo confirmed!

It comes out early June.
I expect one more "holy sh*t" gameplay demo similar to the GDC one at the upcoming microsoft event.

Also..15 hours is a perfect length. I see no need for it to finish it in more time than that..NG1 took me a good 12-13 hours.

Top Bottom