• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

Mojovonio

Banned
eh, I still don't feel sold on this game.

NG definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'll just have to wait it out and try this game.

Mamesj

Banned
Prince8 said:
You mean the Fiend that takes on your appearance, or Ryu who became a Fiend himself? I hope both as well, but I hope that when Ryu becomes a Fiend this time, he'll get some new powers as well.

The fiend that takes on your appearance. Becoming a fiend was a bit weak...you just turned turquoise :lol

and guys, I don't think a freaking animated .gif is a good thing to use to judge whether there's tearing in the game or not.

Mamesj

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
Wasn't Shane from 1up down on this title? I don't get it. It looks great to me.

I don't understand why Shane's opinion matters at all. (that's not directed at you, but every thread on gaf is shane this, shane that.)

anyway, some people think it looks like more of the same. we have names for them.

Zabka

MicVlaD said:
I doubt they'll significantly minimize it come release. The original Ninja Gaiden has tons of screen tearing and I heard that Sigma had plenty of it too.
I never had any screen tearing issues on NG1, even in 480p on either version.

Prince8

Banned
Mamesj said:
The fiend that takes on your appearance. Becoming a fiend was a bit weak...you just turned turquoise :lol
Yeah that's why they need to add new powers this time. (+ simple things: no claw weapons, but actual claws)
Mojovonio said:

NG definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'll just have to wait it out and try this game.
You were my favorite member....

I guess because he seems like one of the few game journos who is very candid with preview impressions. Most game journalist talk up games in the preview period.

Mamesj

Banned
MicVlaD said:
I doubt they'll significantly minimize it come release. The original Ninja Gaiden has tons of screen tearing and I heard that Sigma had plenty of it too.

Are you in PAL land? 'cause the NTSC-U versions of NG and Black have vsync.

Sigma is another story. it was done by a different team and actually has more unsightly features than NG or Black-- tearing, load times all over the place (including some that occurred in-battle), ugly water, easier etc.

Dabanton

biggkidd32 said:
I guess because he seems like one of the few game journos who is very candid with preview impressions. Most game journalist talk up games in the preview period.

Only certain games...

Danielsan

Skilotonn said:
I'm using Firefox, and I've been watching it again for the past few seconds, and there's no tearing at all there for me - and I've seen the tearings in the videos - I'm just not seeing it there...

I hope you guys aren't mistaking the distortion effect from the sword as tearing...

EDIT: Nevermind, I was concentrating on that gif and finally saw some - jeez, that even gave me a headache trying to see that - that's the tearing he bothered to mention? There was worse tearing than that in one of the other videos so I was expecting something like that...

What a nitpicker - can't believe I even bothered responding to him in the first place.
It's not exactly nitpicking. It's the thing I hate the most about this generation of games because there is a ton of it in games these days. Sadly due to gaf I've aquired the ability to spot screentearing almost instantly which is a real pain in the ass especially when actually playing a game. I'm definitely not trying to downplay Ninja Gaiden II, the game is looking beyond awsome but I really hope the tearing gets ironed out.

FFChris

Mojovonio said:
Hey, at least I have an open mind about it.

Slicing fools up is always a good time.

I think it will be a bit easier this time too. I assume that's why you didn't like the first, as it's the reason most people didn't.

Mamesj said:
Also, do you guys think the new chick from Dragon Sword will be in this one as well? not necessarily playable, but an appearance, perhaps. I wonder who the supporting characters will be...
Ever since they said that Dragon Sword bridges the gap between NG1 and NG2 I've assumed that she serves as a love interest that "Ryu's rival" will kill early into NG2 to once again motivate him to go on a quest for vengeance.

Then again she could be a playable character in NG2 (as her moves in Dragon Sword are basically identical to Ryu's) or by some twist she could be the "badass rival that will stop at nothing to kill Ryu".

Mojovonio

Banned
FFChris said:
I think it will be a bit easier this time too. I assume that's why you didn't like the first, as it's the reason most people didn't.

I just hate games that force you to spend a lot of time with them. I can appreciate that the combat system is very deep and rewarding, but fuck, give me a break.

I got to the city, the last save point before the boss.

I beat all the white ninjas on my way, takes me about 20 mins to get to the pair of red dragons each time (took me about 5 tries). Finally beat them with a sliver of health left,

oh what's this?

NOW YOU FIGHT THE REAL BOSS

at that point, I said fuck it and played other shit.

Prince8

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Ever since they said that Dragon Sword bridges the gap between NG1 and NG2 I've assumed that she serves as a love interest that "Ryu's rival" will kill early into NG2 to once again motivate him to go on a quest for vengeance.

Then again she could be a playable character in NG2 (as her moves in Dragon Sword are basically identical to Ryu's) or by some twist she could be the "badass rival that will stop at nothing to kill Ryu".
Didn't Itagaki say Ryu was the only playable character? (could be wrong though)
Mojovonio said:

Well on second thought, since I have no replacement for you, and your still the best, you're still my favorite
Mojovonio said:
I just hate games that force you to spend a lot of time with them. I can appreciate that the combat system is very deep and rewarding, but fuck, give me a break.

I got to the city, the last save point before the boss.

I beat all the white ninjas on my way, takes me about 20 mins to get to the pair of red dragons each time (took me about 5 tries). Finally beat them with a sliver of health left,

oh what's this?

NOW YOU FIGHT THE REAL BOSS

at that point, I said fuck it and played other shit.
:lol
Maybe Ninja Dog mode fits you the best

Mamesj said:
Are you in PAL land? 'cause the NTSC-U versions of NG and Black have vsync.

Sigma is another story. it was done by a different team and actually has more unsightly features than NG or Black-- tearing, load times all over the place (including some that occurred in-battle), ugly water, easier etc.
Coincidentally, yes. The screen tearing was all over the place on 50hz and it was far from completely gone in 60hz, even though the vsync improved then.

Kafel

Banned
bknight3.jpg

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

Mojovonio

Banned
Prince8 said:
:lol
Maybe Ninja Dog mode fits you the best

I know,

and I'm ashamed of it.

But at that time, I had gotten a few other games and rented NG. I played it for maybe 5 hours and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I think I went on to play Hulk:Ultimate Destruction instead.

Danielsan

Mojovonio said:
I know,

and I'm ashamed of it.

But at that time, I had gotten a few other games and rented NG. I played it for maybe 5 hours and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I think I went on to play Hulk:Ultimate Destruction instead.
Dooh

I died countless of times in Ninja Gaiden, dying in battle didn't really bother me but I fucking hated the platforming sections in the lava cave. Goddamn piece of shit camera+lava nearly made me throw my controller across the room.

FFChris

Danielsan said:
Dooh

I died countless of times in Ninja Gaiden, dying in battle didn't really bother me but I fucking hated the platforming sections in the lava cave. Goddamn piece of shit camera+lava nearly made me throw my controller across the room.

Yea, me too. Combined with the camera control that level was terrible to play.

Getting good at NG is really worth it though, the satisfaction you get of just tearing apart enemies that kept killed you earlier in the game is brillaint.

Prince8 said:
Didn't Itagaki say Ryu was the only playable character? (could be wrong though)
He's said something like "it isn't Ninja Gaiden if you aren't playing as Ryu". Sigma made me see his point, but still you can play as another character in the DS game, so...

Anybody think we might see Ryu's dad in this game? Murai mentions him in the first game and it sounds like he might be up to no good. Heck, in the classic Ninja Gaiden the death of Ryu's father started his quest.

Mamesj

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
He's said something like "it isn't Ninja Gaiden if you aren't playing as Ryu". Sigma made me see his point, but still you can play as another character in the DS game, so...

Anybody think we might see Ryu's dad in this game? Murai mentions him in the first game and it sounds like he might be up to no good. Heck, in the classic Ninja Gaiden the death of Ryu's father started his quest.

Wasn't his name Ken in the original trilogy? Maybe he is the one challenging Ryu...like his dad was in on stealing the dark dragon sword and is pissed because Ryu foiled that attempt. After all, who could be more of a bad ass super ninja to challenge Ryu than his own father?

a Master Ninja said:

That would be interesting if he had a love interest...if I were him, I'd just go for Hitomi, but w/e :lol

Mojovonio said:

Mojovonio said:

Give Ninja Gaiden involves slicing fools up do you think it's possible you've confused the experience of playing the first title with the experience of sucking your fathers penis?

Spirit of Jazz said:
Give Ninja Gaiden involves slicing fools up do you think it's possible you've confused the experience of playing the first title with the experience of sucking your fathers penis?
Less posts like this one, please.

Spirit of Jazz said:

:lol:lol:lol

Mojovonio

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:

Don't reflect your childhood fantasies on to me.

I think you need help.

Darkman M

The gameplay seems silky smooth, the way ryu moves is simply amazing and probably the most fluid ive seen so far this gen.

Removed: I broke embargo. That was stupid of me. I apologize profusely to Team Ninja and Microsoft, I meant no ill will. I'm sorry to all the websites and magazines who felt slighted by my breaking embargo, it was not my intention to look like I was trying to 1-up you.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Miktar said:
Some screenshots we received. Sorry if old:

Sweet!

What's with the character shadows in this game? Somtimes they're there sometimes they're not? And when they are they looked a bit photoshopped in. I'm assuming maybe they're not turned on in some of the shots? (like some Too Human shots)

pswii60

RSTEIN said:
Sweet!

What's with the character shadows in this game? Somtimes they're there sometimes they're not? And when they are they looked a bit photoshopped in. I'm assuming maybe they're not turned on in some of the shots? (like some Too Human shots)

Probably just from an early build. I'm sure they'll be implementing shadows before the game's release, but don't expect self-shadowing!

pswii60 said:
I'm sure they'll be implementing shadows before the game's release, but don't expect self-shadowing!
Why not? Given the level of polygons and textures, a good lighting system shouldn't be beyond their tech--Sigma had self-shadowing, for example. It's true that its lack wouldn't ruin the game, but why lower your expectations if they're not unreasonable? Developers should be pushed to excel in every way possible.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I can't believe I almost missed these screens - I just happened to randomly check on this thread before going to bed - the detail is really ramping up now - first on the Spider Clan miniboss, and now the giant purple Fiends are better detailed now too... love it!

RSTEIN said:
Sweet!

The shadows not being there was the biggest sign for me to show how early NG2 was from the very firs video, as it stood out so much... yet people out there were saying back in September when it was unveiled that it was looking horrible, not knowing how early it was - and now we know that right now it's only at 50% - imagine where it was when we first saw media...

In fact, none of the videos up till now have shadows for Ryu and the enemies - the above gifs show that clearly as well too...

Skilotonn said:
The shadows not being there was the biggest sign for me to show how early NG2 was from the very firs video, as it stood out so much... yet people out there were saying back in September when it was unveiled that it was looking horrible, not knowing how early it was - and now we know that right now it's only at 50% - imagine where it was when we first saw media...

In fact, none of the videos up till now have shadows for Ryu and the enemies - the above gifs show that clearly as well too...
I thought they said the visuals were basically finished and they were just working on the gameplay?

Mrbob

Spring 2009 folks. As much as I want the game in a couple months I don't believe itll happen. I would love to be wrong.

The Orange said:
Ninja-freaks, check this out:
http://tigsource.com/articles/2008/02/08/katakijin-or-clothed-ninjas

"Katakijin is a work-in-progress ninja game by forum member Ultim8p00, citing Nikujin, Ninja Gaiden, and Knytt as inspirations. It’s pretty badass."

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I figured you guys might be interested in something like this, the youtube video at the bottom of the post seemed very NG-ish to me in a way :).

This is actually really cool. I watched the youtube video. It starts off a bit slow, but you are gradually seeing the amount of moves increase. I was pretty impressed with all the attacks and the speed of the game. It almost reminded me of a 2D version of the current Ninja Gaiden games.

Mamesj

Banned
New pics--- Mt. Fuji looks much better.

Release date-- This sprin..this summe...er...Fall? (DoA:Ultimate. Nevar Forget.)

Playing DMC4 is getting me hyped for this :lol Honestly though, as much as I love DMC4, there are some real missed opportunities and back steps in the game's design. Teh action gamez warz will have a clear winrar this gen. not that it matters b/c they both kick ass.

The Orange said:
Ninja-freaks, check this out:
http://tigsource.com/articles/2008/02/08/katakijin-or-clothed-ninjas

"Katakijin is a work-in-progress ninja game by forum member Ultim8p00, citing Nikujin, Ninja Gaiden, and Knytt as inspirations. It’s pretty badass."

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I figured you guys might be interested in something like this, the youtube video at the bottom of the post seemed very NG-ish to me in a way :).

Nice..downloaded!

Onions

spring 09, say what?!
i can cope with summer/late 08 but 09 would be quite a bummer :/ even though i love me some spider fiend-ish grfx updates :D

i demand this to be perfect...in 08 :mad:

Top Bottom