• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: Select European countries get exclusive pre-order

Vashu

Once again: Lock if old.

With the game being released on June 6th in Europe, Microsoft Game Studios issued a mail concerning three special outfits coming in July. The designs can be bought for 200 MS points on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace each by then, but select retailers in Europe will hand out limited pre-orders to 39.000 lucky bastards who will receive the first one for free on launch day.

With their pre-order they will receive a code to download it, so if you're a big fan, get to it. Unfortunately the list of the retailers will be made public in the next few weeks, including the other two outfits. The countries participating are the United Kingdom, Italy, The Netherlands, The Nordic countries and France.

The first one is made known today, and it's the Fiend Hayabusa which is based on the falcon. Details below:

"Inspired by the Hayabusa family’s namesake, the falcon, this demonic costume mirrors the intensity of Ryu’s vengeance and fury as he fights to regain the honor of his clan. It’s almost as if he’s been transformed into a Fiend by the evil powers of the underworld with this costume – but retains all the honor of the Hayabusa Ninja Clan."

Starting July 2008, Xbox Live members worldwide will be able to download 3 unique Hayabusa costume packs for 200 MS points each to use in Ninja Gaiden II. Each costume pack is a completely new and never before seen look for our Ninja hero, Ryu Hayabusa.

The first of the 3 costume pack designs is being revealed today. This will be exclusively available in selected countries to 39,000 gamers on launch day as part of pre-sale or launch promotions with specific retail partners. Look for more details on other two designs and specific country promotions to be revealed in the coming weeks. Go to xbox.com/ng2 or your favorite retailer to pre-order Ninja Gaiden II today!"

Also, art below:

NGIICostume1.jpg

Onions

The game still contains unlockable costumes doesn't it? Because I am not gonna pay actual money for virtual costumes!
Not that I would pay money for real costumes...
Looks sizzeling hot though.

Vashu

Onions said:
The game still contains unlockable costumes doesn't it? Because I am not gonna pay actual money for virtual costumes!
Not that I would pay money for real costumes...
Looks sizzeling hot though.

As far as I know yes, but it's unfortunate Ryu won't get any bonus from these new costumes. At least that's what I can get from the message I received, they're just different looks, no special bonusses. So, if you want him to look badass you an. Great for the hardcore fans.

Horse armor? Pretty much I guess, but I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me.

epmode

Vashu said:
Great for the hardcore fans.
Yeah, it would be. If was in the goddamn game from the start.

I didn't expect this from the same guys who put out all that amazing free content for the orginal Xbox Ninja Gaiden.

Microsoft publishing your game means more marketing dollars, but they get to dictate shit like this.

But to put things into perspective:
1.)Sigma DLC is overpriced shit without providing new assets
2.)Costumes don't effect gameplay
3.)Had these been exclusive to a $70 Collectors Edition, people would think that it's awesome

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not digging the idea of paid costumes, but it looks like this Fiend costume (which looks BADASS BTW) is for the European pre-order deal - and it BETTER be available in The Netherlands damnit, seeing as the GTAIV deals didn't...

a Master Ninja said:
Microsoft publishing your game means more marketing dollars, but they get do dictate shit like this.

But to put things into perspective:
1.)Sigma DLC is overpriced shit without providing new assets
2.)Costumes don't effect gameplay
3.)Had these been exclusive to a $70 Collector Edition, people would think that it's awesome
True, true, so long as there is Hurricane Pack style DLC it doesn't much matter

Draft

Revolting.

Goddamn it, what a shitty thing.

I hope this is the last Ninja Gaiden game that MS produces.

I fucking hate this shit so much. I'm not mad, but I am definitely disgusted.

Vashu

Skilotonn said:
Not digging the idea of paid costumes, but it looks like this Fiend costume (which looks BADASS BTW) is for the European pre-order deal - and it BETTER be available in The Netherlands damnit, seeing as the GTAIV deals didn't...

Read my post, the list isn't out yet but there are retailers in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, The Nordic countries AND The Netherlands participating in this. So divide the 39.000 available pre-orders and divide them by the countries where they're available. :)

Draft said:
Revolting.

Seriously. After the precident team ninja set with the original and the sheer amount of stuff they offered for free, this is a huge backwards step, and I suspect MS is probably to blame more than team ninja.

MCD

Draft said:
Revolting.

Sigma wasn't any better with it's overpriced game modes dlc.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Seriously. After the precident team ninja set with the original and the sheer amount of stuff they offered for free, this is a huge backwards step, and I suspect MS is probably to blame more than team ninja.
or maybe last gen was different? first dose is usually free...

Pretty shitty, but just vote with your wallet.

I already have a NG2 Euro preorder with amazon.co.uk and I'm not bothered to cancel it and look elsewhere for a costume change. And I certainly won't be paying for them at 200 xbucks a pop.

Surprised TN never released any extra costumes for DOA4, but yeah, I wouldn't actually pay for any crap like that. I'd rather have the wall scroll that Wal-Mart is offering.

Danielsan

Everyone who thinks these downloads will be unlock keys raise your hand.

Seriously. If you made the damn costumes already why not include them into the damn game.

Draft

600 points. What is that, 5 dollars? 5 fucking dollars for 3 sets of textures.

Please. Jesus. I do not pray to you often, but I pray to you now. These companies, these companies that do this, cause them to fail. Smite them from the gaming landscape. Burn their offices and their employees and make barren their wives so that the Earth will no more be laden with their filth.

I hate next-gen gaming. Someone stop the ride, I want to get off.

Mrbob

/me co-signs with Draft

I can't wait for the inevitable consumer backlash with XBox Live marketplace and its bullshit tactics. It will happen eventually.

Manager

Draft said:

Please. Jesus. I do not pray to you often, but I pray to you now. These companies, these companies that do this, cause them to fail. Smite them from the gaming landscape. Burn their offices and their employees and make barren their wives so that the Earth will no more be laden with their filth.

Or you could just buy one for $2.50 and be happy with that

(or as myself, just use the original one for free)

Did Ninja Gaiden 1 offer four different costumes for free? I never got far in it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Vashu said:
Read my post, the list isn't out yet but there are retailers in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, The Nordic countries AND The Netherlands participating in this. So divide the 39.000 available pre-orders and divide them by the countries where they're available. :)

I know, but I'm saying that for example, the GTAIV deal that most EU countries had wasn't available didn't come here...

MS will have it hit every EU country I'm sure...

ShinAmano

So we have:

Original Ninja Gaiden with three hurricane packs that drastically changed the game vs Ninja Gaiden 2 that rapes you from the start for
fucking awesome looking
costumes?

Come on...

MCD

Manager said:
Or you could just buy one for $2.50 and be happy with that

(or as myself, just use the original one for free)

Did Ninja Gaiden 1 offer four different costumes for free? I never got far in it.
you get a custom for beating every difficulty and all the extra 50 missions.

my only hope here that NG2 will have a system like this and these dlc are just extras and not keys.

epmode

Draft said:

It's actually more than $5. But yeah, fuck this-gen.

Draft said:

For those who keep saying that it's because of MS that they are charging for thios, some of you need to go back and read the interview when the first Hurricane Pack was revealed.

http://uk.xbox.ign.com/articles/531/531106p2.html

IGN: What inspired you to offer this type of download for free for Ninja Gaiden fans?

Itagaki: We are creating the Hurricane Pack for ourselves rather than for our fans. Our goal is to become No. 1 in the Action Game category as well as the Fighting Game Genre. The Hurricane Pack is an experiment based on that goal.

If we were doing it purely for our fans, this package might have been charged.
So, players who are going to play Hurricane Pack should understand the contents have become free because your interests and ours have met by chance. You should not complain that other game's downloadable contents available are being charged.

I'm surprised so many people forgot this interview. Also for those who are not in the gaming industry don't simply understand that it cost money to get an artist to model those costumes.

ShinAmano

Renji Zabimaru said:
I'm surprised so many people forgot this interview. Also for those who are not in the gaming industry don't simply understand that it cost money to get an artist to model those costumes.
Never saw that interview, but to charge for game assets that were clearly developed with the game is pathetic. Had they charged for the hurricane packs I would have happily paid for them. they came out months after the game and changed it completely...the costumes do nothing but look cool and should have been included in the game.

East Lake

Fuck that, I'll pass. DLC costumes slightly after launch like this laughable, just put them on the disc.

Edited for accuracy. =p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Anyone see this anywhere else in Europe besides Game.co.uk? It's nowhere in The Netherlands either, and I really want that pre-order costume, since I don't feel like buying any costumes, and time is ticking on the release date...

I might even try to pre-order from Game, but I know I'll most-likely be getting the game a few days early locally instead of a day later by air-mail - and this is one of my two biggest game of the year along with Gears 2 so I rather not wait...

The free pre-order shirts have been in stores for about a week already though...

Top Bottom