• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Gig said:
Hmm, something weird happened, when I was fighting the water dragon after I died the Talisman of Rebirth didn't activate, and this happened more than once. Also, man is fighting on water annoying!

You have to actually equip it via the menu system.

And yes, fighting on water against bosses is annoying. (fire dragon from NG1 >>>>>> than this random piece of shit of a boss in NG2).

Llyranor

Just finished Chapter 6. What an epic ending there.

(so far at least, the bosses haven't been nearly as bad as people make them out to be)

I don't understand how you get frustrated so easily, C-. You even finished the original NG on higher settings, which really baffles me 'cause I can barely scratch NG (I or II) on higher difficulties and I still found Acolyte to be somewhat of a cake walk.

The thing that makes Acolyte "easy" is that enemies, and most bosses, die fast. One doesn't have to put as much effort into self-preservation here as they will in harder difficulties.

a Master Ninja said:
Why leave the platform?

Cus' I'm not a Master Ninja like you.

Strangely this boss is never that hard. I just spam the Y button with Lunar like a little Ninja Bitch.

Attack You said:
I don't understand how you get frustrated so easily, C-. You even finished the original NG on higher settings, which really baffles me 'cause I can barely scratch NG (I or II) on higher difficulties and I still found Acolyte to be somewhat of a cake walk.

The thing that makes Acolyte "easy" is that enemies, and most bosses, die fast. One doesn't have to put as much effort into self-preservation here as they will in harder difficulties.

When you're giving an opinion of the difficulty of an action game to someone who doesn't live and breathe them, you have to drop your e-penis and sort of look at the game objectively. And objectively, for everything thing this game does right in terms of broadening it's appeal, it does something else worse. It is not a game for casuals, nor is it a game for relatively-avid gamers. You have to be really into action games to put up with the shit this game throws at you.

It's a matter of taking your GAF goggles off. NG II on acolyte is a challenging experience, it's not a cake walk... the game is unplayable to most people. The easy setting -- there is none.

Also, as to why I finished NG1 on higher settings and yet NG II frustrates me is because NG I is better designed, it's cleaner with less clutter to block your view (less flash etc.), it's more defensive based, bosses and enemies are more fair, better designed etc. Also, when something is fun, you want to analyze the situation and get better. When I'm fighting two armadillo's at once with a shitty screen filter fucking up my view more so than the camera designed by idiots, this isn't fun and I have no interest to get better.

The game is at it's best when you're using the dragon sword against regular ninjas with the A.I turned to holy shit levels. The problem with the other weapons is that I press two buttons and Ryu does a 426 hit combo with blood, flash, and special effects flying all over the place. It's a very detached experience.

ShinAmano

a Master Ninja said:
Why leave the platform?
I did on my warrior run and handled ok...but on Mentor I spammed Arrows to the face...it was much easier...is there a meele weapon that works from the platform?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
ryufig.jpg

:/

goldenpp72

If you can't beat this game on acolyte you should stop gaming forever, my girlfriend who can't beat the first level of mario galaxy is on chapter 3 and still doing ok, hell the people I had do a contest and couldn't beat level 1 in NG can beat this one pretty easily, none of them are 'gamers' in a skilled sense.

Acolyte is terribly easy, it's actually very boring for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yep, it's basically a playground to test weapon combos in, so very easy. the only moments you can still die are at the bosses, some still take a chunck of your health. but yeah Acolyte really isn't Ninja Gaiden, I play these weapon only runs on auto pilot

goldenpp72 said:
If you can't beat this game on acolyte you should stop gaming forever, my girlfriend who can't beat the first level of mario galaxy is on chapter 3 and still doing ok, hell the people I had do a contest and couldn't beat level 1 in NG can beat this one pretty easily, none of them are 'gamers' in a skilled sense.

Acolyte is terribly easy, it's actually very boring for me.

I started to play Acolyte for a Dragon Sword run and I nearly fell asleep. After the first level I immediately switched back to Warrior just so I could stay awake. :lol

Darunia said:
Throw on the Falcon Talons and you've got a Shredder TMNT action figure.

the Kotobukiya Hayabusa statue for NG1 outclasses this NECA crap handily, even though it only has one point or articulation (the right wrist; but it doesn't matter because it's a statue and not an action figure but whatever).

Mamesj

Banned
ElyrionX said:
the two games are like night and day. NG1's combat is so much more defensive oriented and strategic in nature whereas NGS2's combat is a lot more fluid and chaotic. You need to switch up your play style in order to succeed in each game.

I don't think you need to switch up in NG2 nearly as much. There's a formula to this game-- find the weapon that dismembers an enemy easiest, find the right combo with that weapon, use it --> OT. Once you know the right weapons, it's all over.

C- Warrior said:
When you're giving an opinion of the difficulty of an action game to someone who doesn't live and breathe them, you have to drop your e-penis and sort of look at the game objectively. And objectively, for everything thing this game does right in terms of broadening it's appeal, it does something else worse. It is not a game for casuals, nor is it a game for relatively-avid gamers. You have to be really into action games to put up with the shit this game throws at you.

It's a matter of taking your GAF goggles off. NG II on acolyte is a challenging experience, it's not a cake walk... the game is unplayable to most people. The easy setting -- there is none.

I don't think that the game is unplayable to most people. Acolyte is there specifically to ease people into NGII. There has to be some challenge there, yes. I can't possibly fault Team Ninja for still being in the "archaic" mindset of thinking gamers need to earn their victories. But, really, it's not "bitch hard." Enemies die fast enough, even though they can still get the jump on you if you're not paying attention.

Of course, if Duderz has no intention of playing through the game more than once, then sure -- it's only a rental (as would be most games). I think NGII warrants repeat playthroughs, regardless of playing harder difficulty levels, just to fully enjoy the nuances of each weapon. Even after a couple playthroughs, I'm not the least bit satisfied with the time I've spent with anything outside of the Lunar Staff and Eclipse Scythe.

Also, as to why I finished NG1 on higher settings and yet NG II frustrates me is because NG I is better designed, it's cleaner with less clutter to block your view (less flash etc.), it's more defensive based, bosses and enemies are more fair, better designed etc. Also, when something is fun, you want to analyze the situation and get better. When I'm fighting two armadillo's at once with a shitty screen filter fucking up my view more so than the camera designed by idiots, this isn't fun and I have no interest to get better.

The game is at it's best when you're using the dragon sword against regular ninjas with the A.I turned to holy shit levels. The problem with the other weapons is that I press two buttons and Ryu does a 426 hit combo with blood, flash, and special effects flying all over the place. It's a very detached experience.

Yeah, it's a shame that NGII isn't as technically polished as NGI, and the framerate dips are especially disappointing for a developer I've come to associate with a solid 60fps experience. Nevertheless, it's still just too much fun to play. If it was just NGI Ryu in NGII levels, I probably wouldn't even care enough to discuss it. But, Ryu's picked up an improved defense in reversals and Furious Wind (that's the one where you evade immediately after a block, right?), and an improved offense in Obliterations. The enemies compensate for this by being more ruthless near death and breaking through your guard more. Beyond that, it's business as usual for NG as far as I'm concerned -- excessive combos and "bad" camera included. I can forgive the lack of polish for the added player-enemy interaction. I'm kind of desensitized to camera complaints, though. I've never played a game where I couldn't get around it -- er, well, except Operation Darkness. Holy shit, what a horrible camera.

ElyrionX

I would argue that while the camera in NG2 is essentially the same as that in NG1, the change in the nature of the combat (from defensive to offensive) makes the camera even more useless in NG2.

In NG1, you could simply hold block and reposition the camera and take your bearings. But since you're constantly on the move while fighting enemies in NG2, that really isn't much of an option. It's really hard positioning the camera while running around to see what you need to avoid. That's especially true when you're running away from the horde of enemies on your ass, pressing R will snap the camera to a position behind you and that doesn't help at all since you need to see what's behind you from the front.

Ironically, it was the third Test of Valour with the wide open stage that made me realize this. Ironic because most people claim the camera doesn't work in enclosed spaces but in fact, the camera is equally bad in wide open areas.

The camera really needs to be pulled back and repositioned to give an isometric perspective of the action. Unfortunately, that's not something I see coming in a patch.

EDIT: Actually, one easy way to counter this would be to make the camera sensitivity a lot higher than it is. My camera sensitivity is at its highest and it's still too slow. If the camera can be moved around faster, it would be a lot easier to deal with and a lot more useful.

Buggy Loop

Ok so i completed the game on acolyte, last night since i had the day off today, i decided to smoke a joint and play the game on warrior, and HOLY SHIT is it awesome, i used to be a huge DMC fan but, NG2 just took the #1 place in my heart for best action game, im starting to get the hang of it and its insane how badass Ryu is, its like a blender shredding everything in his path. Also the camera during combat is just about perfect imo, it shows some amazing point of views when you're cutting limbs off.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Test of Valor on Chapter 7 is tearing me apart (warrior difficulty). Anyone have any tips?

Rockets and machine gun fire are everywhere... I seem to do best with Lunar or DS though the Scythe is occasionally useful.

Buggy Loop

LunaticPuma said:
Test of Valor on Chapter 7 is tearing me apart (warrior difficulty). Anyone have any tips?

Rockets and machine gun fire are everywhere... I seem to do best with Lunar or DS though the Scythe is occasionally useful.

Clean the mechs with the scythe, it think it was jump then XYYYY or something like that that allowed you to stay up in the air for a while, it almost instantly kill the mech and rockets dont reach you, clean all mechs that way, then flying shallow the shit out of rocket launchers.

LunaticPuma said:

Haven't done it on warrior difficulty yet but on acolyte I just kept to the outside and dash jumped around the arena until I got rid of all the rocket dudes, then just take out the mechs.

Here is a video of someone doing it on warrior. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wE73JjutFZI

outsida

LunaticPuma said:

I found it easier to circle the area and dispose of as many rocket chuckers as possible before engaging the robots. After a while they stop spawning and all that is left are the mechs.

Ricker

Duderz said:
Okay, sounds like I'd better rent the game instead from what you said. I definitely enjoyed what I played, but boss rushes would definitely have me pulling my hair out. Thanks for the info.

Yep,otherwise you will pull every hair on your head till you are bald in awful chapters like 5,where you have to battle the controls,the camera,the water and exploding ennemies that take 1/4 of your health away,slowly but surely and figth ennemies while running on water :lol

I think this is where i'll call it quits...

Doodis

Wow, I'm finding Chapter 8 on Path of the Warrior really difficult. I hate those freaking rockets. Also, how many tests of valor are there? I haven't come across one, and I've tried to be pretty thorough when looking for pick-ups.

Doodis said:
Wow, I'm finding Chapter 8 on Path of the Warrior really difficult. I hate those freaking rockets. Also, how many tests of valor are there? I haven't come across one, and I've tried to be pretty thorough when looking for pick-ups.
Do you have the Rod of Trials from CH.2?

outsida

Ricker said:
Yep,otherwise you will pull every hair on your head till you are bald in awful chapters like 5,where you have to battle the controls,the camera,the water and exploding ennemies that take 1/4 of your health away,slowly but surely and figth ennemies while running on water :lol

I think this is where i'll call it quits...
:lol :lol :lol :lol This game will put some extra hair on your chest.

Doodis

RattleHead_ said:
Do you have the Rod of Trials from CH.2?
Nope. Piss. I'm guessing I need it? Is there any invaluable loot to be had from completing the trials? Or am I okay missing out on them?

raYne

Doodis said:
Nope. Piss. I'm guessing I need it? Is there any invaluable loot to be had from completing the trials? Or am I okay missing out on them?
A crap-load of essence (50k+ each), Lives of the Gods, Jewel of the Demon Seals, Talisman of Rebirth etc.

Doodis said:
Lives of a Thousands Gods, Talismans, Jewel of the Demon seals... etc. But the items are not important, it's the challenge.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
This game would be complete if it had a few post game options such as:

-Ability to play any Test of Valor on any difficulty level with selectable weapons (outside of main game)
-Boss Rush with difficulty select option
-Some combination of the above (a la Bloody Palace in DMC)

I hope they make something happen with DLC.

Mamesj

Banned
I probably wouldn't even care enough to discuss it. But, Ryu's picked up an improved defense in reversals and Furious Wind (that's the one where you evade immediately after a block, right?), and an improved offense in Obliterations.

reversals = counters. There's just an added animation to let you know when you miss it and you have a wider opportunity to land it.

Furious wind is just an evasion after a block, but they gave it a name. It has the same functionality as Block -> Roll -> Roll cancel in NG1.

Offense as a whole is fucking ridiculous in NG2. People complained about the flying swallow being broken...well, congrats, now each weapon has those kinds of overpowered moves. You could probably destroy the whole game with X,X,Y with a level 3 Lunar. OTs themselves are even worse. And while they serve an important purpose for the game as its set up, they're symptomatic of the new direction they took this game, which I'm not a fan of. (They're a win button. though a partially necessary one, depending on the situation.)

Don't get me wrong, I know my voice as a hardcore fan is marginal and it shouldn't prevent other people from having fun, but I strongly prefer NG1 to NG2. All I'm saying is once you figure out which weapon works best for de-limbing each enemy, you're invincible (except for when there's just too much shit on screen or if you get lazy ;) )

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ElyrionX said:
I would argue that while the camera in NG2 is essentially the same as that in NG1, the change in the nature of the combat (from defensive to offensive) makes the camera even more useless in NG2.

In NG1, you could simply hold block and reposition the camera and take your bearings. But since you're constantly on the move while fighting enemies in NG2, that really isn't much of an option. It's really hard positioning the camera while running around to see what you need to avoid. That's especially true when you're running away from the horde of enemies on your ass, pressing R will snap the camera to a position behind you and that doesn't help at all since you need to see what's behind you from the front.

Ironically, it was the third Test of Valour with the wide open stage that made me realize this. Ironic because most people claim the camera doesn't work in enclosed spaces but in fact, the camera is equally bad in wide open areas.

The camera really needs to be pulled back and repositioned to give an isometric perspective of the action. Unfortunately, that's not something I see coming in a patch.

EDIT: Actually, one easy way to counter this would be to make the camera sensitivity a lot higher than it is. My camera sensitivity is at its highest and it's still too slow. If the camera can be moved around faster, it would be a lot easier to deal with and a lot more useful.

:lol I've done the opposite and lowered sensitivity a good amount though not to the lowest. I think it helps make it more like NG1's camera. At this point, aside from the non-transparency when something is blocking your view, I am fine with the camera.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
LunaticPuma said:
This game would be complete if it had a few post game options such as:

-Ability to play any Test of Valor on any difficulty level with selectable weapons (outside of main game)
-Boss Rush with difficulty select option
-Some combination of the above (a la Bloody Palace in DMC)

I hope they make something happen with DLC.

So what opens up after you finish the game aside from the new difficulties? Are there any missions like they had in Black?

raYne

bob_arctor said:
So what opens up after you finish the game aside from the new difficulties? Are there any missions like they had in Black?
Nada.

edit:
Well, there is new game+ and the suits, but they're all pretty meh. I'll pretty much be using Dark Blood forever though..

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
raYne said:
Nada.

edit:
Well, there is new game+ and the suits, but they're all pretty meh. I'll pretty much be using Dark Blood forever though..

Any pics of the new suits? Also, do you get the Acolyte suit along w/ the Warrior one just for finishing Warrior?

raYne

bob_arctor said:
Any pics of the new suits? Also, do you get the Acolyte suit along w/ the Warrior one just for finishing Warrior?
Pics of all the suits are in the thread somewhere and yeah, you unlock the Alcolyte one for finishing Warrior as well.

fernoca

Fudge!! :mad:
The game crashed on me..3 times..on the exact same part.
Chapter 9
after beating the giant worm in the caves
..beat it, and then stuck on Now Loading..one more time..or else..I'm just going to stop playing it..

And darn those ninjas with Automatic Rocket Launchers with Infinite Ammo..geeze...what's next? No recovery items? No save points, so when you die you're forced to restart the game?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JESUS CHRIST FUCKING 5 BOSSES AT THE SAME TIME! WTF!!! Got tired, turned off... back to Square Zero, but my hands were hurting after the CH12 Boss Rush and CH13's enemies. Alexei was a pussy on 13 though :lol

TP

a Master Ninja said:
Complete the test and you'll be rewarded with a chest containing items such as health or ninpo upgrades, along with making the test selectable from the main menu.

I just read that now, true?
I've completed all the test but don't see that option

Top Bottom