• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

ShinAmano

Member
Dec 7, 2006
7,249
0
0
goldenpp72 said:
Master ninja is probably the hardest game achievement i've done this gen, and I beat PDZ on dark agent :lol
I love the hard ones...here are two for you:

This one is hard as hell...

Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah

Black-Pearl Flower

This one is freaking insane...

Sharp Shooter

Awarded for completing 1 level in 5 or fewer seconds.
 

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mar 10, 2005
19,205
0
1,640
Yeah not to go offtopic but the two Pearl achievements in Hexic are so hard. It's tough enough to get one black pearl, let alone 3 or 6. Yet there are videos out there of people doing it all in the very first level
 

ShinAmano

Member
Dec 7, 2006
7,249
0
0
Master Ninja and those other achievements are what make them awesome...they show you really 'achieved' something. MN will take me a while I am sure, but I will push through (32 Mill essence...how?)...the pearls in Hexic (best puzzle game since tetris) were tough, but Sharpshooter in Zuma is honestly as close to impossible as you can get without actually being impossible...I would love to know how many people out there actually have it :lol
 

DancingJesus

Banned
Mar 16, 2008
4,782
0
0
Florida
goldenpp72 said:
Mentor is so much easier than master, when I first played mentor I really struggled but now after master I can just like.. glaze through the parts of mentor that pissed me off, not simple, but a lot easier than before.

Master ninja is probably the hardest game achievement i've done this gen, and I beat PDZ on dark agent :lol

Yea PDZ Solo Dark Agent was the hardest achievement I've gotten this gen but if I beat MN that would defiantly take the cake.
 

goldenpp72

Member
Nov 29, 2005
14,369
380
1,735
Karma doesn't accumulate so no it was on my first master play through, I don't think i'll ever do it again :p

You get more karma in master though, since the enemies are more evolved and more numerous, versus something like acolyte where that score probably couldn't be done legitimately.
 
Oct 25, 2006
17,089
6
0
I'm not the only one who occasionally does things the hard way, so let's start compiling some useful tips for newbies and veterans alike.

-You can block the mines!

-Don't zoom in with the bow for the first archfiend form, it takes too long. Just shoot his face, dodge, shoot his orb, dodge. Repeat until he is defeated.

-Consider staying on the platform during the Chapter 5 Water Dragon fight. You can fight him in the water, but it's a lot easier and safer to dodge his attacks and shoot him in the face with arrows. This guy isn't even particularly good and he made quick work of him.

-You can damage the Chapter 3 "train boss" with your melee weapon without getting electrocuted if he is on the ceiling passing over you.

-You can quickly escape the clutches of the giant underground worm in Chapter 9 by casting Ninpo rather than have him push you to the end of the hall and inflict massive damage.

-A single Art of the Piercing Void can almost kill a large flying dragon boss in one shot.

-During boss fights, the Right Bumper changes between the normal "free camera" and a "boss lock-on camera."
 

RattleHead_

Member
Sep 20, 2005
579
0
0
a Master Ninja said:
-Consider staying on the platform during the Chapter 5 Water Dragon fight. You can fight him in the water, but it's a lot easier and safer to dodge his attacks and shoot him in the face with arrows. This guy isn't even particularly good and he made quick work of him.
Dam he looks so easy in that video. When I fought him on Path of the Acolyte he would keep doing some kind of wind crystal attack, he didn't do it once in that video for what ever reason. :/
 

ElyrionX

Member
Jun 10, 2004
14,706
1
0
i just got the Scythe. Jesus christ, this weapon is absolutely brutal. It decimates everything it touches and it's really a step up from all other weapons, including the Lunar.
 

Oreoleo

Member
Jun 3, 2007
12,163
0
915
Ohio
steamcommunity.com
Okay guys I'm playing through Warrior for the 1st time after having gone through the game on Acolyte 1 1/2 times but it's not letting me upload my Karma score. What's the deal?

And while I'm thinking about it, there are leaderboards for karma, speed and something else but I've been able to upload to the karma leaderboard. What's up with that?
 

Danielsan

Member
Feb 18, 2007
16,682
1
910
The Netherlands
Orellio said:
Okay guys I'm playing through Warrior for the 1st time after having gone through the game on Acolyte 1 1/2 times but it's not letting me upload my Karma score. What's the deal?

And while I'm thinking about it, there are leaderboards for karma, speed and something else but I've been able to upload to the karma leaderboard. What's up with that?
Are you playing it with all weapons leveled up? If so that's why.
 

C- Warrior

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
6,687
1
0
Natural said:
With the Weapon Runs (currently doing a DS run) are you allowed to use Ninpo at all?

Yeah, others have said it -- basically you can use any and everything, but don't ever wield/use another melee weapon that isn't the one you want to stick with.
 

C- Warrior

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
6,687
1
0
WickedLaharl said:
i take it that the few instances where you're forced to switch weapons are not held against you then?

As I said, don't swing or cut anything. Switching shit around is fine. But if you use (emphasize 'USE') another MELEE weapon, then you won't get it.

Ninpo, Arrows (be it for combat or puzzle purposes) is fine.
 

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jun 7, 2004
18,636
2
0
49
Wrapped it up on Warrior Thursday night. I've since started again on Warrior to do a single weapon run w/ the Blade Of The Archfiend. This also gives me a chance to finally do the Tests Of Valor which I missed entirely on my 1st play-through. I figure all this will be very easy considering how powered up I am but it's going to be nice to take a break from the punishment for a bit before attempting Mentor.
 
Jan 3, 2008
74
0
0
a Master Ninja said:
I'm not the only one who occasionally does things the hard way, so let's start compiling some useful tips for newbies and veterans alike.

-You can block the mines!

How do you do the double sparrow dive into the Izuna drop with the Falcon Talons?

C- Warrior said:
As I said, don't swing or cut anything. Switching shit around is fine. But if you use (emphasize 'USE') another MELEE weapon, then you won't get it.

Ninpo, Arrows (be it for combat or puzzle purposes) is fine.

You can use another weapon, as long as you don't HIT an enemy with it you are fine.
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
C- Warrior said:
As I said, don't swing or cut anything. Switching shit around is fine. But if you use (emphasize 'USE') another MELEE weapon, then you won't get it.

Ninpo, Arrows (be it for combat or puzzle purposes) is fine.

swinging is fine, I've swung other wepaons before and still got the achievment I was going for.
 

Mamesj

Banned
Jul 30, 2007
8,124
0
0
ShinAmano said:
I love the hard ones...here are two for you:

This one is hard as hell...

Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah

Black-Pearl Flower

This one is freaking insane...

Sharp Shooter

Awarded for completing 1 level in 5 or fewer seconds.


Didn't GRAW have one where you have to be number 1 on the leaderboards? :lol
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
Mamesj said:
Didn't GRAW have one where you have to be number 1 on the leaderboards? :lol

GRAW had a lot of shitty ones.

Committed (Multiplayer) 28
Play for 8 hours straight in multiplayer

Master of Ceremonies 24
Host at least 1000 matches

And 4 achievments for getting to the top of eachrespective leaderboard
 

Pachinko

Member
Jun 8, 2004
7,291
1
0
canada
Alright so I finished stage 10 and plowed through a chunk of stage 11 today. MUUUCCCH better then stage 9. The moments where you have to fight enemies in lakes of acid were... shall we say a little poorly made , they should have made a small catwalk so you could atleast walk around the whole area without melting your skin and yes I realize that you get a basically free supply of incendiary shurikan in that room but you still have to contend with 3 acid spitting worms and super grey beetle things.

But it was only a couple small rooms in an otherwise great level, especially the stairway of mutilation! I didn't care that the game slowed down to 10-25% it's normal speed because it was so rad not being able to fart without an enemy ninja huffing that shit up.

I've also maxed out all of my weapons now so basically ever bit of yellow essence I get is going straight into healing items so if I stop being so cocky about NOT using potions during fights I can probably make it through the remainder of the game.

Is it safe to assume that on master ninja you ONLY fight black claw and white sword spider ninjas when you do fight ninjas? Because so far chapter 11 has to be the most nail biting chapter yet you basically can't stop for even a couple seconds there's just so many enemy ninja shooting exploding arrows and shurikan and jumping all over. The last part I did was fighting I think it was 10 black claw spider ninjas and 3 Rasetsu(giant spider) guys.

I'm not complaining either it's still very fun.
 
Jan 3, 2008
74
0
0
I don't know how people can say this game has bad level design and bad art. I'm on chapter 11 now and this game has some of the best level designs in an action game. The levels make DMC4 look stale. The graphics are just amazing. I'm not defending the Matrix Star Fight but man that was one of the best moments in the game.

That part was just too awesome. I hope if they patch the game up they leave that part alone.
 

Malik

Banned
May 14, 2008
101
0
0
Renji Zabimaru said:
I don't know how people can say this game has bad level design and bad art. I'm on chapter 11 now and this game has some of the best level designs in an action game. The levels make DMC4 look stale. The graphics are just amazing. I'm not defending the Matrix Star Fight but man that was one of the best moments in the game.

That part was just too awesome. I hope if they patch the game up they leave that part alone.

Err, so you ignore the first dozen of chapters?

The first level among others including Hayabusa village and the HORRID level design of the bug/worm boss with the green goo on the walls, has to be some of the worst level design, period.

Textures were very low rez in some of the earlier chapters, but YES the last few chapters end up some amazing and detailed levels, very big..shame it wasn't done for all levels.
 

Gantz

Banned
Jun 13, 2004
5,358
0
0
NYC
Anyone have any easy strategies for Dagra Dai? I beat him once but used most of my healing crap :lol I had to replay him after shutting down my 360, but now I can't seem to beat him.
 

Future PhaZe

Member
Oct 4, 2007
26,271
0
1,060
So after a few days break after beating Mentor I jumped on Master Ninja today. Its definitely a very frustrating experience. Mentor in comparison was fairly easy.

IS ninjas are fucking annoying as piss. Its almost gotten to the point where I can reliably rape anything with ease so long as I'm not in a situation where dozens of IS ninjas are literally bouncing all over the place and tagging me (and even worse missing me) for massive damage.

I just beat Chapter 1 on MN and I died quite a bit :(. I can also see that funds are going to be hard to come by :\. The pricing on items has once again increased.

I started Chapter 2 with no intention of beating it today and just sprinted through the first 3 spawn zones on the map and I can already see whats in wait for me. 2 dozen IS ninjas, a group of dogs (not sure which kind), white ninja bowmen (far worse than missile launchers), and who knows what else.

Meh. I'll give it a serious go tomorrow. I'm a little let down with Team Ninja though. This idea of upgrading difficulty through ridiculously cheap methods is kind of sad.
 

OnBackOrder

Member
Oct 21, 2007
130
0
0
Renji Zabimaru said:
I don't know how people can say this game has bad level design and bad art. I'm on chapter 11 now and this game has some of the best level designs in an action game. The levels make DMC4 look stale. The graphics are just amazing. I'm not defending the Matrix Star Fight but man that was one of the best moments in the game.

That part was just too awesome. I hope if they patch the game up they leave that part alone.


Yep, I agree 100%. And even some of the earlier stages are awesome. I especially loved stage 2 where you had to go from inside to outside on the rooftops.
 

Llyranor

Member
May 17, 2006
12,169
6
1,355
Just finished Chapter 9 (Warrior). If Chapter 8-9 were the worst part, then this game is easily a strong candidate for my GOTY. they were fine; if I hadn't read about how horrible they were, I wouldn't have noticed. Frankly, I saw the flaws people would have gripes with, but in terms of design there were elements in the first game that I found much more frustrating.

What a fantastic game.
 
Oct 25, 2006
17,089
6
0
With the departure of Itagaki and the rumored departure of 3 dozen other Team Ninja members, is it safe to say there is zero chance of DLC (beyond the three costume packs) or a patch that will fix some technical issues?

permutated said:
Is chapter 9 the Double Dragon fight?

That was the worst part of the game IMO.
I wouldn't have minded it if I didn't have to worry about the little guys. The variation of the fight later on is very pleasant by comparison.
 

permutated

Banned
Jan 30, 2008
7,739
0
0
Llyranor said:
Just finished Chapter 9 (Warrior). If Chapter 8-9 were the worst part, then this game is easily a strong candidate for my GOTY. they were fine; if I hadn't read about how horrible they were, I wouldn't have noticed. Frankly, I saw the flaws people would have gripes with, but in terms of design there were elements in the first game that I found much more frustrating.

What a fantastic game.

Is chapter 9 the Double Dragon fight?

That was the worst part of the game IMO.
 
Jan 3, 2008
74
0
0
Malik said:
Err, so you ignore the first dozen of chapters?

The first level among others including Hayabusa village and the HORRID level design of the bug/worm boss with the green goo on the walls, has to be some of the worst level design, period.

Textures were very low rez in some of the earlier chapters, but YES the last few chapters end up some amazing and detailed levels, very big..shame it wasn't done for all levels.

Get some glasses. What do you expect a worm whole to look like? Anyway I'm not here to argue. If you think they look bad, that's your business. In my opinion, this game is amazing, level design, soundtrack, enemies, gameplay and art. If you don't agree with my opinion, guess what? I don't give a shit.

Basically I don't give a shit about your opinions. As long as I'm enjoying the game.
 

Kai Ozu

Member
Sep 5, 2006
1,328
4
995
Ninja Fortress
I want chapter 9 out of the game, but the boss fight area is beautiful. And what the hell, some of the early stages look great, like the aqua capital (my personal favorite.)

And since no one posted this, the Japanese guide is coming next week

 

ShinAmano

Member
Dec 7, 2006
7,249
0
0
Gantz said:
Anyone have any easy strategies for Dagra Dai? I beat him once but used most of my healing crap :lol I had to replay him after shutting down my 360, but now I can't seem to beat him.
He is just a bitch, but the best i can offer is Level 3 Scythe jump xx-yyyy...then magic anytime he casts his beam stuff...

On the same note I just completed my Mentor Run and on the final boss I was not touched :D

The strategy was jump right into it...then Level 3 Scythe jump xx-yyyy repeat...I jumped the instant I landed.

Also how do you get the fiend armor?
 

PhatSaqs

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
15,262
2
0
www.youtube.com
Man you guys werent kidding about Ch2 mid boss on Mentor. Took me an hour to beat him. The worst part is not being able to skip the scene where he falls from the ceiling. It was like a taunt everytime I continued :lol.
 

robot

Member
Jun 8, 2004
5,517
0
1,450
I'm at the beginning of Chapter 13, sad to see it end soon. Although I have 29 skulls and will most likely play through to find that last missing one. Overall the game was awesome, better than the original in my opinion. The only fight that gave me a really tough time was the
2 armadillo fight, mainly because I couldn't see shit when one of them turned volcanic...too much bloom going on.

Anyone know when the new costumes are coming? I might wait on that replay until they come out.