• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Danielsan

Grimm Fandango said:
Nothing. If you just want to play, clear the cache. I got fed up after a month so I don't mind that my scores won't show up on the leaderboards.

But seriously at this point, we deserve something for this delay. The mission pack should become free and those who bought it should get a refund. Or the costume pack or something. This is just terrible customer service.
Tecmo died when Itagaki plunged his sword into its belly. I doubt they'll even bother patching the game, heck I doubt the people who could patch the game are still working at Tecmo.

That said, free mission pack + costumes is the least they could do for the troubles.

NG2 breaks a million

Vengeance Is Served, One Million Times Over, by Ninja Gaiden II

TECMO/Team NINJA’s blockbuster action title sells over one million copies worldwide

Microsoft and TECMO/Team NINJA are proud to announce that over one million fans have joined Ryu Hayabusa in his epic quest to avenge his clan and prevent the destruction of the human race in “Ninja Gaiden II.” In just a little over two months since its release in June 2008, “Ninja Gaiden II” has sold over one million copies worldwide on Xbox 360 and currently enjoys an average critics’ rating of 81 out of 100, according to Metacritic.com.

“Ninja Gaiden II” is the latest chapter in the beloved franchise, where players are armed with an assortment of ninja weaponry to skillfully maneuver through a world fraught with peril and danger. “Ninja Gaiden II” features an all-new gameplay engine, a new auto-health regeneration system, levels, adventures, enemies and thrilling combat with an extensive assortment of ninja weaponry, representing a true evolution of the highly popular franchise.

“Ninja Gaiden II” is retail priced at $59.99 and is rated “M” for Mature. For more information, please visit www.xbox.com/ng2.

http://www.consolewars.eu/news/21945/ninja_gaiden_ii_weltweit_ueber_1_mio_mal_verkauft/

I'm actually surprised.

RBH

Teknoman

Damn we actually had some people come in to my Gamestop and complain that about the freezing. Finally managed to convince them that it was a patch that messed the game up, not the disc.

UGH I want to finish the game >_<

Morph-0

New patch! seems to have been released today but I don't know what it fixes..

this game badly needs a Sigma job to fix the frame rate, improve camera a little more and remove the cheaps like give enemies a limited number of projectiles and allow Ryu to counter suicide attacks - slit their damn wrists. Add some more cut scenes that would allow the story to flow, maybe introduce a new twist or 2, add new sections..

It is one of the best action games ever hence 1 million but it needs repairs still. Even if Tecmo released a Sigma version on PS3 I would definitely pick it up.

Morph-0 said:
New patch! seems to have been released today but I don't know what it fixes..

this game badly needs a Sigma job to fix the frame rate, improve camera a little more and remove the cheaps like give enemies a limited number of projectiles and allow Ryu to counter suicide attacks - slit their damn wrists. Add some more cut scenes that would allow the story to flow, maybe introduce a new twist or 2, add new sections..

It is one of the best action games ever hence 1 million but it needs repairs still. Even if Tecmo released a Sigma version on PS3 I would definitely pick it up.
I always thought it was kind of dumb that we didn't get any payoff for what happened in Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword. I wanted to see some of the characters from that in Ninja Gaiden II.

MCD

CHAPTER 14 FREEZING FIXED

thanks Morph-0 for informing us.

i can't test other chapters like 12 (no save files) but i am assuming they fixed them as well.

Morph-0

McDragon said:

i can't test other chapters like 12 (no save files) but i am assuming they fixed them as well.

no problem I knew there were people waiting for the fix..

MCD

yeah, i was waiting too.

i will do a quick weapon run on acolyte and see if there is any issues left.

Kingpen

Awesome.... This will be in the rotation this weekend as I basically bought mission mode and didn't play it because all the wide spread BS related to the freezing.

burgerdog

Oh god, I hope it's true. I recently patched this without knowing it would fuck up my game and I couldn't play it anymore(I had already beat it so I wasn't too bummed). Hope this patch truly fixes that.

Mxylptlk

Neo Member
For the record, this fixes the level 10 cutscene crash as well. I can finally play again!

The stairs weren't as epic as this thread had me believe, so I guess I'll need to clear out the patch when I'm done and try it as it was intended.

USD

So it's fixed? Finally. I held off on buying Mission Mode until they sorted everything out. Guess I'll dive in now.

fernoca

Yep..everything works ..the way it was intended..hehehe..

Noticed that everything is smoother..transitions from gameplay to cutscenes are faster too..well, at least compared to the previous patch; which sometimes made the visuals sloppy..jumpy and even crashed the game during cutscenes.

I still suck..still on the last freaking bosss..

Pachinko

Fernoca do you mean the cockroach of death or the uber demon ? Both are kind of a pain in the ass but for the cockroach, DO NOT AIM THE BOW IN FIRST PERSON, it makes that fight SOOOO much easier, just aim and double charge in 3rd person at the head, then at the orb.

As for the uber demon, there is no strategy there, just luck, you can continue at that fight so hopefully you have a talisman of ressurectin leftover by then and idono, I beat it by using the scythe and just wailing away at it's feat while it hovered aimlessly nearby. It's kind of a shitty boss.

raYne

Pachinko said:
Fernoca do you mean the cockroach of death or the uber demon ? Both are kind of a pain in the ass but for the cockroach, DO NOT AIM THE BOW IN FIRST PERSON, it makes that fight SOOOO much easier, just aim and double charge in 3rd person at the head, then at the orb.

As for the uber demon, there is no strategy there, just luck, you can continue at that fight so hopefully you have a talisman of ressurectin leftover by then and idono, I beat it by using the scythe and just wailing away at it's feat while it hovered aimlessly nearby. It's kind of a shitty boss.
Completely wrong..

The first version is easy enough, so no explanation needed there.

On the second version (Defense):
-If he's flying in the background launching fireballs, you just run left/right and jump to dodge.
-If he charges the lightning attack, just jump at the last second before he fires it.
-If he does the flying dash attack from one of the sides, you just dash dodge out the way right before it hits.

To take him out:
-If he's clinging to the edge, you just stay really close to the left (his right) and he can't grab you. Then you just wail away until he starts charging the beam attack. Making sure not to go too crazy with the combos because you'll be left open when it's time to...
-Hold block and dash through the beam itself (to the right) taking no damage.
-Slice him to pieces while he's walking around like an idiot.

Repeat process. Done and done.

sennin

Finished it on Warrior, first run. My thoughts....

I love this game, despite certain recycled elements being used liberally from the first NG and the technical faults it comes packed with. NG2 has enough new offerings to keep things fresh. Team Ninja was ambitious, and their hunger to surpass themselves might end up being a double-edged sword. NG2's biggest difference is found in its combat. Every fight now seems to have at least 10 enemies, and the notorious chapter 10's stairway boasts upwards of at least 8~10* more. It coerces the player to use Ryu aggressively in lieu of turtling, and this is a welcome change.

On the subject of difficulty, the pendulum has swung in further extremes. Here's the list of things that made NG2 easier:

- every save point restores Ryu to full hp once
- life of the gods/Thousand Gods restore Ryu to full hp upon usage
- similar to NG: Dragon Sword, Ryu's life bar automatically restores itself after every fight, with only a marginal portion being set aside as permanent damage
- if the player misses something (stat boosting items or weapons), the shop will sell it in the next chapter. I welcome this actually :p I hate to reload a previous save if I missed something, rpg makers should take note. :lol

To compensate, the enemies are faster, and like Hurricane Pack/Black, they will throw you more often to discourage abuse of blocks. The first 4 chapters felt easy due to the dev's generous manner of giving the player so much HP to play with, but as soon as the werewolves show up, it was clear that the tutorials were over. I just have to kill that much faster to keep Ryu's health in the pink for boss fights.

The camera gives me some problems at times, it is frustrating to be hit by a fireball from off the screen during the bow's manual aim. The solution? Why, use auto-aim of course! It works both ways but the annoyance here is that the player does not get to see those winged beasts being struck by arrows but you definitely know you scored a hit due to 2 cues: the audio cue of a sharp hiss, and your karma meter shows UT 3000 for every kill. This is a poor design choice, when the lovely artworks and attack animations are being looked over in favor of efficiency.

About the latest patch, here are my observations (take note that I did not buy a single DLC for NG2):

- chapter 10 and 14's cutscenes are fine. I cleared them in one shot, without any freezing incidients.
- chapter 10's stairway with an estimated 100 ninjas appearing in groups of 10 each will definitely slow the entire screen down to about 5 fps. This has yet to be addressed.
- when attempting to kill ninjas in chapter 2 for Rod of Trials, if Ryu moves from the shrine to the stairs, "now loading" will appear often. I suspect this is because there are 2 areas there, and the stairs serve as a border. Crossing from one border to the next will ask for data from the disc, and hence the mid-loading in combat occurs.
- freezing is still present in the earlier chapters.... I didn't really take note of where and how, but I think prior to chapter 7, I had a few random freezes. Thankfully I didn't experience one single freeze after clearing ToVs 5 and 6. :p

It will be nice if Team Ninja is given more time to iron out these issues, but as it stands I don't think they will commit more resources into bugs fixing as the 2 freeze points commonly experienced by fans is patched. If a director's cut of NG2 is in the works, with content rivaling that of NG:Black with more optimization and retailing at a budget price, I might just come for the next party.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awesome news to hear that everything is completely fixed so that I can hop right into my Action Game Of The Year 2008...

I just have to wait on my 360 to get back, which will be sometime this week... sigh...

RBH

Awesome news on the patch.

I'll still be playing through the game without the patch for now though because I want to go through that staircase in Chapter 10. :D

Ifrit

Sorry for the bump but :D

0ICLiGJhbC81CxoEG1tTVkQ1L2FjaC8wLzFBAAAAAOfn5-8Sra4=.jpg

Doing the weapon's run is gonna be fun

Teknoman

McDragon said:

Hell yeah! Now lets get some free hurricane pack calibur content! Seriously. Before they come out with "NG II Black", at least pay the original owners the same courtesy as the original NG I owners.

just dug into this game last night and have cleared chapter 6. this game is all kinds of awesomeness! the shift in mechanics to a very offensive game, over the top gore and violence, ridiculous character designs, and nonsensical story all add up to create one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i've had in a long time. i can't help but to take satisfaction in beheading the enemies over and over and over again. i laugh my ass off at the cheesy cut-scenes and ridiculous story. but, most importantly, i keep saying to myself, outloud, "this game is awesome."

i was glad to see the game broke a million and hope it continues to sell strongly. we need more games like this. i don't care for the trend towards first-person shooters and sandbox games these days. if you're on the fence, definitely pick this one up. you won't regret it--unless you don't think ninjas are badass. but who the hell doesn't?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
started playing this last week, finished it yesterday, liked it very much on the whole -- though this is one of those games that shuttles weirdly between genius and retardation. i'm not as fond of the new scoring system as the old one. ng1 emphasized sheer ninja speed and efficiency, whereas 2 seems to be about using as many obliterations and ultimates as possible -- a macabre variant on dmc's style-based scoring, really. i've always thought ultimates were the least attractive part of ng's combat system, and avoid using them with any frequency, so i found myself dismembering and obliterating everything. this approach gets around the first game's overemphasis of the flying swallow, but throwing out weak half-combos in the hope of taking a limb without killing your victim can feel kind of silly. in any case the new scoring changes the game pretty drastically.

it's twice as irritating as the first game without really being harder -- constant projectile spam, a tendency in the level design to linger on archery and swimming and stupid enemy types, overlong and uneventful chapters, a visual blandness that only dissipates in the last areas, unpatterned humanoid bosses who all feel the same and go down too quickly. but i found myself buying the mission mode as soon as i'd finished the campaign, and i'll probably do a mentor run after that. i don't know -- there are so few games that get the essentials of combat right, and apparently i'm willing to forgive these games a great deal. spent 80 hours with dmc4 too.

drohne said:
started playing this last week, finished it yesterday, liked it very much on the whole -- though this is one of those games that shuttles weirdly between genius and retardation. i'm not as fond of the new scoring system as the old one. ng1 emphasized sheer ninja speed and efficiency, whereas 2 seems to be about using as many obliterations and ultimates as possible -- a macabre variant on dmc's style-based scoring, really. i've always thought ultimates were the least attractive part of ng's combat system, and avoid using them with any frequency, so i found myself dismembering and obliterating everything. this approach gets around the first game's overemphasis of the flying swallow, but throwing out weak half-combos in the hope of taking a limb without killing your victim can feel kind of silly. in any case the new scoring changes the game pretty drastically.

it's twice as irritating as the first game without really being harder -- constant projectile spam, a tendency in the level design to linger on archery and swimming and stupid enemy types, overlong and uneventful chapters, a visual blandness that only dissipates in the last areas, unpatterned humanoid bosses who all feel the same and go down too quickly. but i found myself buying the mission mode as soon as i'd finished the campaign, and i'll probably do a mentor run after that. i don't know -- there are so few games that get the essentials of combat right, and apparently i'm willing to forgive these games a great deal. spent 80 hours with dmc4 too.

i agree with the bolded parts above-especially in regards to the bosses. however, no matter how many legitimate criticisms i can level at the game, i'm finding it so completely satisfying. the combat is just that rewarding. i'm looking forward to finishing the game in the next couple of days and imagine that i'll be playing through it at least once more on a harder difficulty.

as a side note, this has to be least polished game i've seen team ninja put out in two generations. i can't help but to wonder if it is a result of the issues that were going on between itagaki and tecmo or if microsoft pushed it out the door. i don't think the minor technical issues ruin the game in any way, but it would be great if it was as polished as team ninja's other titles.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
well, if you've just finished chapter 6, the worst is yet to come -- though there's some great stuff coming as well, and as you say, it remains compelling through all its blunders

i actually haven't run into too many polish issues -- some screen tearing, a few fights that kill the framerate, and one instance where an obliteration move warped me through a wall, but i was expecting worse. maybe the new patch has cleaned things up

Top Bottom