• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

ultim8p00

Banned
Finally! I've been anxiously awaiting activation just so I can post in this awesome thread of ninja destruction and lol smilies.

Anyways, I found some youtube videos of a guy called xinxink and he is pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure he's a member of iberrianwarriors. Ever since I started playing like him, NG2 is becoming significantly easier. I think the reason why it's so hard at first is because NGB and NG2 are so different and one has the tendency to play NG2 defensively like NGB. If you watch this guy's videos, he does a lot of combos but cuts them short with a shuriken cancel, then unleashes death with an OT. If there is one enemy left, then he plays it a little more like NGB, messing around and juggling the enemy and so forth.

It's amazing how much easier (and enjoyable) the game gets when you decided to quit being a pacifist and just brutalize everything like real ninjas were meant to do. IS ninjas don't even bother me anymore cause I'm doing an OT every other minute.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xinxink

Vish

Banned
I just beat the game on warrior. The game is good, but nothing special (like
NG/B/Sigma) was imo. I have a ton of gripes, but overall I did enjoy NG2. I think I'll keep playing on Mentor. I beat the first chapter and it really wasn't that bad considering the amount of projectile use and etc.

ultim8p00 said:
Finally! I've been anxiously awaiting activation just so I can post in this awesome thread of ninja destruction and lol smilies.

Anyways, I found some youtube videos of a guy called xinxink and he is pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure he's a member of iberrianwarriors. Ever since I started playing like him, NG2 is becoming significantly easier. I think the reason why it's so hard at first is because NGB and NG2 are so different and one has the tendency to play NG2 defensively like NGB. If you watch this guy's videos, he does a lot of combos but cuts them short with a shuriken cancel, then unleashes death with an OT. If there is one enemy left, then he plays it a little more like NGB, messing around and juggling the enemy and so forth.

It's amazing how much easier (and enjoyable) the game gets when you decided to quit being a pacifist and just brutalize everything like real ninjas were meant to do. IS ninjas don't even bother me anymore cause I'm doing an OT every other minute.

After watching that video, how can anyone say the combat in NGB is better? NGB might be a better polished game but that's the only thing it's better at, other than that NG2 blows the shit out of it. I would say something else regarding another game but I don't want the fanboys coming out the wood works.

Decado

ultim8p00 said:

WTF!?! What's with his outfit? And since when could you juggle guys with ninja stars in NG2!?!?

Decado said:
WTF!?! What's with his outfit? And since when could you juggle guys with ninja stars in NG2!?!?
You've been able to do that since Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Rottweiler said:
After watching that video, how can anyone say the combat in NGB is better? NGB might be a better polished game but that's the only thing it's better at, other than that NG2 blows the shit out of it. I would say something else regarding another game but I don't want the fanboys coming out the wood works.
There are many reasons why Ninja Gaiden Black is better than Ninja Gaiden II. That video only demonstrates how much more robust Ninja Gaiden II's combat is, and that's the only thing it holds over the original.

ultim8p00

Banned
Yeah, Ninja Gaiden 2 could have been much better. Framerate doesn't really bother me that much; my main issue with this game is the terrible camera. Since they have more enemies, why couldn't they just pull back the camera just a little bit? Or compensate by having only on screen enemies throw shit at you. Also, is it just me or did they actually take out IFs? I got hit out of an UT once. Yes, an UT.

Anyways, since this game relies so much on killing your enemy as fast as possible, it'd be nice if we had like some sort of list of which weapons are most effective against specific foes. I found the claws to be very effective against purple imps and dragons. I usually take them out with an XX, shuriken cancel, forward C attack. That delimbs 98% of the time and leaves you right by them for an OT. Anything works for human enemies imo. Werewolves are annoying as hell, but I found that dual katanas actually work really well against them IF you have it at level 2 or greater. The Lunar also works well on them, but I hate using Lunar on them because it has some pretty long combos that don't shuriken cancel and so I always get hit by flying torsos.

Scythe level 3 = god mode :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ultim8p00 said:

He is a fucking ANIMAL

a.wd

ultim8p00 said:

God DAMN!!!! the way he moves from combo to combo, dash combo Shuriken, ut, Juggle land and away before their nuts even hit the ground....epic...

My 360's drive is acting up so I been taking it easy for a while, I am eagerly waiting for the HDD Installs... then I will unleash the bad ass Ryu has become.

Those are the types of videos that people should focus on making for NG2. Karma videos suck dick. The flails are lame though.

I wish I had the money for a decent capture card that would let me play in HD still, unless theres one I missed?

ultim8p00

Banned
iconoclast said:
Those are the types of videos that people should focus on making for NG2. Karma videos suck dick. The flails are lame though.

I wish I had the money for a decent capture card that would let me play in HD still, unless theres one I missed?

Agreed

I didn't even know you could "fake" an OT until this video. If you fake an OT it actually couunts towards you combo meter. So far, the only OT i've been able to fake is the one where he kicks the enemy upright before jamming the sword into his mouth etc. I think it's the one in this video. The kick counts and even launches the enemy into the air. I wonder if this was a glitch as I've seen this guy fake many more.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Vid is sick. Dude is a beast and yes NG2 is better than Black IMO. The harder levels are unfair BS but Warrior is perfect. They really did an awesome job on differentiating the weapons. My favorite 360 game by far.

U K Narayan said:
There are many reasons why Ninja Gaiden Black is better than Ninja Gaiden II. That video only demonstrates how much more robust Ninja Gaiden II's combat is, and that's the only thing it holds over the original.

I disagree. Polish is the only thing NGB has on NG2.

phenotypical

Neo Member
I just finished chapter 4 and have played to the first save point in chapter 5. However, I didn't get the chapter 4 achievement. I was signed into XBL at the time. Has anyone else had this happen?

fernoca

phenotypical said:
I just finished chapter 4 and have played to the first save point in chapter 5. However, I didn't get the chapter 4 achievement. I was signed into XBL at the time. Has anyone else had this happen?
Just checked your profile/gamertag, and you got it...
2sbo9k7.jpg

phenotypical

Neo Member
fernoca said:
Just checked your profile/gamertag, and you got it...
2sbo9k7.jpg

Wow. That's very strange. I seriously don't see it on my console or on my Xbox webpage.

Edit: stupid me. I didn't realize there wasn't an achievement explicitly for finishing chapter 4. Got conditioned to expect it from the previous chapters.

fernoca

phenotypical said:
Wow. That's very strange. I seriously don't see it on my console or on my Xbox webpage.
???
Covered the "spoilers", just in case...

14xcglc.jpg

phenotypical said:
Edit: stupid me. I didn't realize there wasn't an achievement explicitly for finishing chapter 4. Got conditioned to expect it from the previous chapters.
:p

Teknoman said:
Hell yeah! Now lets get some free hurricane pack calibur content! Seriously. Before they come out with "NG II Black", at least pay the original owners the same courtesy as the original NG I owners.

those days are over friend, but i still remember how awsome it was.

1YCLiGJhbC9ADhoEG1tTVkQ1L2FjaC8wLzQ0AAAAAOfn5-p89Lw=.jpg
Woo 1250/1250.

Finally sat done and decided to get the master ninja missions done. Some of them are insanely annoying and/or difficult. In fact on master ninja just about every mission is annoying. Mission 10, 12 and to an extent 13 are shit. Pure shit. Also whatever mission the Alexei boss battle is sucks beyond words too.

However, the weapon survival missions alone are well worth the price of admission. I love them. Going to be going back and improving my scores quite a bit.

Anyone else been playing MM? I will say that it forced me to improve my tactics with various enemies, now all I really have trouble with are some of the shitty bosses.

permutated said:
Hey guys, I'm too busy to read 10 pages to look for an answer: has the new patch been released yet that fixes the freezing?
If you have 100 posts per page enabled, your answer is on this very page.

yes

iconoclast said:
1YCLiGJhbC9ADhoEG1tTVkQ1L2FjaC8wLzQ0AAAAAOfn5-p89Lw=.jpg
Woo 1250/1250.

Finally sat done and decided to get the master ninja missions done. Some of them are insanely annoying and/or difficult. In fact on master ninja just about every mission is annoying. Mission 10, 12 and to an extent 13 are shit. Pure shit. Also whatever mission the Alexei boss battle is sucks beyond words too.

However, the weapon survival missions alone are well worth the price of admission. I love them. Going to be going back and improving my scores quite a bit.

Anyone else been playing MM? I will say that it forced me to improve my tactics with various enemies, now all I really have trouble with are some of the shitty bosses.
You are nuts, OP updated!

Bebpo

Banned
So I kinda stopped playing after I'd finished ch.11 because Vesperia came out. So now that that's done, today I sat down and finished NG2.

The last few chapters kinda sucked IMO :\ There wasn't much level design, and recycled bosses were really meh. The first fiend v2 over the lava was just annoying as he'd love to fly away and keep running from me. The dual armadillos was wtf camera-wise. And even the last few fights just had really annoying camera issues.

I liked the fight against the priest guy, though it was pretty damn hard. I used most of my items there so I had to do the final boss form 1/2 with almost none ^^; The bow and arrow form was bulllllshit. I hate using the bow and the bow bosses were totally lame. Took me a while to get the timing down just right to get through bow form. The final form was a pretty solid fight though.

Overall I think the game had some good levels and some BAD ones, and most of the boss fights were kinda meh. Also the Eclipse Scythe was :lol . I found the game tough and challenging until I beat ch. 6. Then once I had the Eclipse Scythe I found I could get through almost anything just doing jumping X,Y,Y,Y spins and UTs. Plus it did major damage on bosses. I appreciate the large amount of weapons available in the game, but the Scythe seemed so good, it made the other ones pointless.

NG1 & DMC3 are my favorite action games to date. NG2 and DMC4 were both inferior sequels with ups & downs -_- I wonder when were going to get another great action game. Maybe Bayonetta?

Bebpo

Banned
Oh! My Car! said:
Play God Hand, again.

Yeah, forgot about that. God Hand was pretty amazing.

Actually I do wonder if a re-polished NGII Black with a WAY BETTER camera and maybe some level, enemy, boss redesigning would be a top-notch game. NGII has a lot of really good elements, but it's just a mix of fun and annoyance instead of pure enjoyment.

ultim8p00 said:
Ohhh myyy gaawwwd!!!. TOV #4 on MN is INSANE!!!
I cried guys. I begged and said please to a videogame.

Is this the one with the dogs/wolves or spider women/hover bots? If it's the dogs, the dogs are much less aggressive when the wolves are alive. You can 360Y ET/UT them with the Dragon Sword until they are all dead, then you can go ahead and take the wolves out with whatever. Another tip for easy dog kills is to just do an on landing 360Y with the lunar. It doesn't even need to be a UT, he will just spin around and whack them all, knocking them down.

If its the spiders, start out with delimbing the hoverbots, then 360Y ET/UT the spider women until they are dead. It takes some time to get the rocket timing down, but generally after a big wave of rockets theres a grace period where you will be able to charge your UT's. If you are playing a new game+, a quick flying swallow + Y with the tonfas on the hoverbots will take off a rocket pod every time. Use your ninpo too. Fire ninpo instant kills the hover bots and will get you essence for more UT chaining.

And a general tip, if you are getting low on health, just circle around the edge of the ToV arena. Eventually you'll get out of combat and Ryu will regain his health.

Overall I think the game had some good levels and some BAD ones, and most of the boss fights were kinda meh. Also the Eclipse Scythe was . I found the game tough and challenging until I beat ch. 6. Then once I had the Eclipse Scythe I found I could get through almost anything just doing jumping X,Y,Y,Y spins and UTs. Plus it did major damage on bosses. I appreciate the large amount of weapons available in the game, but the Scythe seemed so good, it made the other ones pointless.

The Scythe is godly, no doubt. But each weapon has its own uses. You just need to experiment more with each weapon, and you will see how they each have great advantages.

borsdy

Banned
Hello, a couple questions before I let this game destroy any self worth I could possibly have:

I haven't completed Black on the two hardest difficulties yet, but I really wish to one of these days. Has anyone here felt the game is worth playing after NG2? It won't feel inferior or too dated when I get back into it, right?

Another thing, is Team Ninja not working on this game anymore? No important update is in the pipeline still is there?

Thanks guys, sorry for bringing back a month old thread :)

goldenpp72

borsdy said:
Hello, a couple questions before I let this game destroy any self worth I could possibly have:

I haven't completed Black on the two hardest difficulties yet, but I really wish to one of these days. Has anyone here felt the game is worth playing after NG2? It won't feel inferior or too dated when I get back into it, right?

Another thing, is Team Ninja not working on this game anymore? No important update is in the pipeline still is there?

Thanks guys, sorry for bringing back a month old thread :)

I doubt there will be anymore updates, and NG1 ages will against ng2 because it's superior in many ways (though not all)

They go along with each other well.

PSGames

I found NG1's combat too slow and defensive based after playing NG2. I personally would have a hard time going back.

For me, the slower, more defensive nature of NG1 boss battles made them more enjoyable than NG2's. I found NG2's combat against regular enemies better than NG1's, they just went overboard on the number of enemies and projectiles you have to manage on the harder difficulties.

Ifrit

a Master Ninja said:
For me, the slower, more defensive nature of NG1 boss battles made them more enjoyable than NG2's. I found NG2's combat against regular enemies better than NG1's, they just went overboard on the number of enemies and projectiles you have to manage on the harder difficulties.

Exactly what I was going to say. But I think the faster nature of NG2's combat will probably spoil you a little if you compare it to the slower-paced combat of the first game but nothing you can't get used to after a short while, and the same can be said of every other action game that is not NG2

On my last weapon run finally; scythe! Then I got mentor and master ninja to worry about... anyway...

I need help from scythe masters. I can't seem to perform Hidden Clouds which the move lists says I need to press Y after Shadow Banisher (forward + hold Y). But I can't get it to work. Any tips?

Grimm Fandango said:
On my last weapon run finally; scythe! Then I got mentor and master ninja to worry about... anyway...

I need help from scythe masters. I can't seem to perform Hidden Clouds which the move lists says I need to press Y after Shadow Banisher (forward + hold Y). But I can't get it to work. Any tips?

Press Y right when he slams the guy onto the floor during Shadow Banisher. Alternatively, you can just keep mashing Y once you've got him impaled on the scythe.

And am I the only person who doesn't even look at the names of the moves? 200+ hours on the game and I probably know less than 8 moves by name.

PS. Use the tonfas once you get them. They are ridiculously good. You dont even need to upgrade them past level 1, a Tonfa ET will instant kill every ninja, 2 if you're lucky. A tonfa UT can wipe out a good 3-4. Chain UT's and you can clear crowds of the highest level ninja without taking any damage. Also the tonfa flying swallow is godly against all mech enemies.

Pretty much. Genshin, Elizebet, Alexei and Zedonius are the only bosses in the game that are not terrible. I still think Genshin is the best boss between both NG games. The faster, more offense oriented gameplay is one of the main reasons I prefer NG2 over NG1, but I seem to be in the minority with the hardcore NG crowd. The projectiles are garbage, no doubt, but once you play enough theres a boatload of ways to get around them, they aren't really that big of a deal to me any more.

Nobody has posted in this topic since the NXE update, so I just wanted to share my experience with how the game performs using a full game install.

Quick selecting weapons and items is slightly faster because it no longer has to seek out info like movelists on the DVD. Previously you would hit a point in some levels where it would pause for a few seconds and load the next chunk of the level, complete with the word "loading" appearing in the corner of the screen. I'm happy to report this annoyance has been all but eliminated. Moving through the Hayabusa village was smooth as was the roof of the Lycanthropes' Castle. The only time it hesitated was the part in Chapter 8 after you defeat the giant ogre and drop into the sewer. General game performance, like slowdown during crazy fights on the poorly optimized Chapter 10, remains unaffected.

I got the weapon master achievement for the Dragon Sword tonight, and it made me realize how much I whore the Eclipse Scythe for the last few boss fights in the game! I can't imagine beating some of those bosses with something like the kusari-gama.

Yep, I installed it too and have started playing again lately.

Load times are much quicker, there's no pause when you switch weapons, mid-level loading is pretty much gone (I do notice a very very brief pause in some of the areas that had this issue). I didn't play through a lot though, I've mostly just been doing survival.

The best part about the install, for me at least, was when I used to start the game up it would take a minute or two to load the start screen before I could even pick what I wanted to play, which I'm guessing is due to the 600+ ninja cinemas I have, the dlc costumes and mission mode. Thankfully it loads all that much faster now. I'm guessing this might be due to me going from my launch 20gb hd to a 120gb one, seeing as my xbla games load instantly now too instead of taking a minute. But I dunno. Figured it was worth throwing that out there.

I got the weapon master achievement for the Dragon Sword tonight, and it made me realize how much I whore the Eclipse Scythe for the last few boss fights in the game! I can't imagine beating some of those bosses with something like the kusari-gama.

The kusari gama can actually deal some very good damage. I rarely use it though, but jump + YXY or something like that dominates. It's very good against genshin at least, since that is what I used for the mission where you face fiend Genshin + 2 rocket ninjas. The vigoorian flails on the other hand are pretty much abysmal against any boss, including the rasetsus, aside from the infinite combo you can do when they get stunned.

Flails, Kusari and the double katanas are the only weapons that I don't have a good score with in survival. Once I got the gold medal for them I pretty much never touched them again. I'll be working on them eventually though.

Funny story: So I'm playing Dragon Sword survival and I'm doing great. I cleared every spawn + Genshin, held up a good multiplier the entire way and started the next wave at 80% health (after using the healing beads). One thing led to another, and by the time I got to the beetle spawn I had very little health. Well, as you can guess, a beetle decided to jump on me and kill me while I was well on my way to getting a top 5 score. Needless to say I was not amused.

I've been meaning to get better scores on everything, but with so many games it's hard to find time for NG2. I'd like to do the story again since I know I missed millions of easy points with methods I was unaware of when I last played it, but good lord it is so tedious.

Worst scoring system EVER.

Top Bottom