• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Mister_Mingi said:
To my knowledge, they are the only way to beat him. Charged up shots to his face and he will die quicker than quick arrow shots to random parts of his anatomy.

He can be pretty hard. The camera angle during that battle doesn't help much either.

This game has some really hard bosses. I love it. It makes me feel like I was just told that the baby isn't my child while on Maury when I finally beat them.

LOL That's a perfect description, fucking GAF classic!

Daigoro

Mister_Mingi said:
I'm at the
MASTER OF LIGHTNING!!!!
. I know I can beat him but I can't forgive myself for using too many healing items on him so I let him beat me to start over.

dont feel bad about using health items. just buy more at the next shop!

but save those lives of a thousand gods. (specially for the last level!)

Mister_Mingi said:
This game has some really hard bosses. I love it. It makes me feel like I was just told that the baby isn't my child while on Maury when I finally beat them.

haha awesome. i agree about that feeling. i got it today after beating the game with just the Dragon Sword.

honestly it depends on what weapon you use. on my first play through on Warrior i either used the twin swords or the scythe and i found most bosses went down really fast.

on my recent run on Acolyte with the Dragon Sword only, some of the bosses were a bitch and a half.

abuse the weapons! (and the health items!)

PhatSaqs

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Ninja Gaiden Black had harder bosses, IMO.

Just saying, is all.
The bosses in both are pretty easy IMO. Zedonius and Elizabet are the closest thing to an Alma in 2. Both remain challenging for me no matter what.

kuYuri

So I've finally been playing NGII lately, in the middle of chapter 6. So far, it's disappointing that this game isn't nearly as polished as NG/NGB was back on Xbox. Too many instances of slowdown and framerate drops. This is really a game that could have benefited from an extra two months of development to fix the technical hiccups.

Also, I think it's BS that we have to pay for Mission Mode. I'll probably end up buying it if only because I payed $15 for this.

I love the game, as a veteran of Ninja Gaiden and having played the last three (NG, NGB, NGS), this is right up my alley and the fights have gotten more intense. But so far, I'm not even halfway yet and it hurts to see so many instances of slowdown and framerate drops, when very few if any instances of it existed in the original Xbox ones.

This game is like a ninja simulator. Yes, SIMULATOR. I'm a world class ninja and can speak such bold things. It took me seconds in real life to learn wateer running. And only seconds in NG2. I wall run like there are no floors in the area.

I guess what I am saying is that this game is the closest to being a Ninja ever besides watching those American Ninja movies from 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAtrYgNut1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMitUx3fcXE

BTW I posted this while blindfolded and jumping through a forest from branch to branch dodging late phone bills tied to daggers being thrown at me.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
U K Narayan said:
Ninja Gaiden Black had harder bosses, IMO.

Just saying, is all.

Not to me - I find them much easier in Black, as it took me much longer to find out patterns to not get hit in NGII, and it takes a lot of work to not get hit - the attacks are more varied and "out there" to me...

Teknoman

Skilotonn said:
Not to me - I find them much easier in Black, as it took me much longer to find out patterns to not get hit in NGII, and it takes a lot of work to not get hit - the attacks are more varied and "out there" to me...

Yeah NGB had bosses that were challenging yet had easy patterns once figured out. NGII has bosses that sort of have patterns, but still seem to have actions that are too random.

After not having been able to play this game since last September I just recently pciked it back up again. My last save was at the Chapter 7 Trial so I dusted off the cobwebs and completed the Trial - easily the most difficult one so far. Now.. the exploding armadillo boss. I have never died this many times on one boss in either game before. This is coming from someone who never found NG1's bosses to be much of a challenge. I beat the last boss the very first time that I faced him and neither version of Alma were that hard for me. NG2's bosses have all been a cake walk so far until this point. This armadillo is more of a major annoyance than anything else and combined with the shape of the arena I'm a bit peeved. I've beaten it twice and due to the "walls" of the arena I've gotten trapped into its blast radius when it dies. It may be the frustration speaking, but this could be enough to keep me from future replays after I beat the game. That was never a problem in NG1 since I immediately started a second play through right after completing the game.

Haven't touched the game in over a month. Chapter 2 on MNM pissed me off.

But I'm not giving up. Hell no. Just need to beat MNM to get original 1000 points.

PSGames

·feist· said:
After not having been able to play this game since last September I just recently pciked it back up again. My last save was at the Chapter 7 Trial so I dusted off the cobwebs and completed the Trial - easily the most difficult one so far. Now.. the exploding armadillo boss. I have never died this many times on one boss in either game before. This is coming from someone who never found NG1's bosses to be much of a challenge. I beat the last boss the very first time that I faced him and neither version of Alma were that hard for me. NG2's bosses have all been a cake walk so far until this point. This armadillo is more of a major annoyance than anything else and combined with the shape of the arena I'm a bit peeved. I've beaten it twice and due to the "walls" of the arena I've gotten trapped into its blast radius when it dies. It may be the frustration speaking, but this could be enough to keep me from future replays after I beat the game. That was never a problem in NG1 since I immediately started a second play through right after completing the game.

I know you're going to hate me for this. But all you have to do is BLOCK to not take damage from the Blast when he dies. I got caught like that aswell. :lol

ultim8p00

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Haven't touched the game in over a month. Chapter 2 on MNM pissed me off.

But I'm not giving up. Hell no. Just need to beat MNM to get original 1000 points.

Fuck, Chapter 2 was ridiculous. The zombie incendiary shuriken Ninjas and the bow guys. Oh my god that shit was just stupid.

·feist· said:

Foolish normal person is not thinking like a Ninja

Oreoleo

PJX said:
1250/1250

Finally

GT: Black Rott

Wow dude, very impressive. I gave up on Mentor at the Chapter 1 boss :(

I actually just started playing again after a few months off. I'm in the middle of my Vigoorian Flail run on Warrior and I'm definitely not as good as I used to be.

PSGames said:
I know you're going to hate me for this. But all you have to do is BLOCK to not take damage from the Blast when he dies. I got caught like that aswell. :lol
Are you serious? Oh, the humanity. There goes my Master Ninja Rank.

ultim8p00 said:
Foolish normal person is not thinking like a Ninja
Yes, for shame. I'll just blame it on 6 months of rust...

Hesemonni

Banned
Everytime somebody bumbs this thread makes me dream of the awesomeness that NG2 could have been. And I weep a little inside when I realize what kind of turd of cheapness and glitches we got instead.

Kai Ozu

Hesemonni said:
Everytime somebody bumbs this thread makes me dream of the awesomeness that NG2 could have been. And I weep a little inside when I realize what kind of turd of cheapness and glitches we got instead.

The combat is still the best thing ever.

HokieJoe

Teknoman said:
Yeah NGB had bosses that were challenging yet had easy patterns once figured out. NGII has bosses that sort of have patterns, but still seem to have actions that are too random.

I agree with that, but NGII also feels like the difficulty was cranked to '11' without much time given to balancing out the combat. NGB feels finely crafted and NGII feels rushed.

HokieJoe said:
I love NGII, but NGB is a better game IMO.

I tried to go back to NGB and Sigma after playing NG2 and it didn't feel the same anymore. The game felt slow, the combat felt ancient. The difficulty isn't that hard anymore even on Master Ninja. I went thru 7 chapters on Master Ninja in just one sitting when it took me over one week just to beat chapter 2 on MNM on NG2. I felt the overall experience far outweighs the glitches it had. The only thing that NGB has over |NG2 IMO is overall polish. Even SIgma had slow down, screen tearing, mid combat loading and other problems that NG2 has.

As far as bosses go, I found it to be a mix bag. There are some bosses in NGB that I wish were in NG2 like Paz Zuu. Bosses like the worm mid boss and the twin dragons can be done away with. If I were to do a boss comparison, IMO it would be like this:

Genshin >>>>>>> Murai/Doku

I found the battles with Genshin were more epic than the battles with Murai and Doku. Plus Genshin to me was more of a challenge than both Murai and Doku put together.

Fiend Genshin >>>>>>>>> Spirit Doku/ Dark Murai

Again no contest.

Alexi > Dynamo

Zedonious > Supreme Fiend Gogohn

Smougan the Flame Dragon > Water Dragon

Alma > Elizebeth

As for enemies I wish the Galas, Beserkers and the cat fiends were back.

Oreoleo

Kai Ozu said:
The combat is still the best thing ever.

Yeah, I never played NGB (Thankfully it seems, having nothing to compare it to and just accepting the game as is instead of what it isn't or what it could have been) so the combat in NG2 overshadows any technical shortcomings the game might have. It's just so visceral, and, you know, fun.

Sorry for the DP but I need help at this point.

I can't do the battle for the Rod of Trials in Chapter 2 MNM. I've died dozens of times. Right now I have

-half my health in the red (original life bar)
-level 2 Lunar
-Falcon's Talons
-29K essence
-1 herb of spiritual life
-2 grains of spiritual life
-1 devil way mushroom
-2 LotG
-1 LotTG

Now I'm a real stubborn guy in NGII, so much that I hate using healing items for regular enemies. But I think I need to at this point. Since half my health is gone, it's probably best to use a grain during the upcoming battle?

If you have any advice for the actual battle itself, like where to fight the IS ninjas, avoiding the archers, please let me know.

Also I'm trying to save my essence for a level 3 lunar which will help me tremendously. But if I need the health items, I'll have to buy more...

I know it may seem silly what to do, but old habits die hard for me and this is like my 10th playthrough...

NG28

Phoenix Fang said:
As far as bosses go, I found it to be a mix bag. There are some bosses in NGB that I wish were in NG2 like Paz Zuu. Bosses like the worm mid boss and the twin dragons can be done away with. If I were to do a boss comparison, IMO it would be like this:

Genshin >>>>>>> Murai/Doku

I found the battles with Genshin were more epic than the battles with Murai and Doku. Plus Genshin to me was more of a challenge than both Murai and Doku put together.

Fiend Genshin >>>>>>>>> Spirit Doku/ Dark Murai

Again no contest.

Alexi > Dynamo

Zedonious > Supreme Fiend Gogohn

Smougan the Flame Dragon > Water Dragon

Alma > Elizebeth

As for enemies I wish the Galas, Beserkers and the cat fiends were back.

I wish the game had more bosses similar to the friend ryu fights in NGB missions. Those were the most fun fights in that game. They aren't "tanks" like every boss in both games, if that makes any sense.

Llyranor

It's been a while, so I don't any useful advice other than dodge/block.

But 10th try is nothing. I was stuck on one of trials for probably 3-5 hrs, and it ended up being my most satisfying victory in the game.

Llyranor said:
It's been a while, so I don't any useful advice other than dodge/block.

But 10th try is nothing. I was stuck on one of trials for probably 3-5 hrs, and it ended up being my most satisfying victory in the game.

No, my 10th playtrough. I've died in this one area dozens of times, spending a couple of hours.

I figured it out btw. Used the Falcon's Talons room trick. Spawn the IS ninjas then run into the room. Only 3 or so should be following you. Mutilate them, open the door, let a few more in, repeat. I killed a dozen or so IS ninjas before they stopped. I opened the door and only 1 archer was there. Killed him and the rod finally spawned.

Thank god that's over with. Now I can finally enjoy the rest of the game :D

Well, in my staggered playthrough I've made it to one of the single most amazing parts of any game I have ever played. Yes, THE staircase scene. It was brilliant, brutal, beautiful and bloody fucking EPIC. I just so happened to have
Level 3 Vigoorian Flails
equipped not knowing what was up ahead and it was a voracious dance with limbs flying everywhere. That had to have been the best unintentional slow-down in a game since R-Type. Unfortunately, a few enemy hits landed and UTs were a bit tricky to time, but emerging from that fight only slightly bruised and watching random body parts still rolling down the steps was quite something.

Wow.

ultim8p00

Banned
·feist· said:
Well, in my staggered playthrough I've made it to one of the single most amazing parts of any game I have ever played. Yes, THE staircase scene. It was brilliant, brutal, beautiful and bloody fucking EPIC. I just so happened to have
Level 3 Vigoorian Flails
equipped not knowing what was up ahead and it was a voracious dance with limbs flying everywhere. That had to have been the best unintentional slow-down in a game since R-Type. Unfortunately, a few enemy hits landed and UTs were a bit tricky to time, but emerging from that fight only slightly bruised and watching random body parts still rolling down the steps was quite something.

Wow.

Play that scene on Master ninja and you will HATE this game and burn it

The NG series still has so much potential. I hope Tecmo isn't just running around in bitter tears with no aspiration to improve the series.

mernst23

So, how hard is the Mission Mode to beat? I just beat Chapter 3 on Master Ninja (Started my playthrough yesterday). Most of all, is it fun? I don't think I can pass it up for $7.

ultim8p00

Banned
mernst23 said:
So, how hard is the Mission Mode to beat? I just beat Chapter 3 on Master Ninja (Started my playthrough yesterday). Most of all, is it fun? I don't think I can pass it up for $7.

I'd say get it even just for the survival missions. They're a nice treat. If you could beat chapter 2 on master ninja fairly easily then you'll love the survival missions.

mernst23

ultim8p00 said:
I'd say get it even just for the survival missions. They're a nice treat. If you could beat chapter 2 on master ninja fairly easily then you'll love the survival missions.

I'm not sure what your definition of "fairly easily" is. It took my like 4 hours and I wanted to punch a baby while doing it (especially at the Rasetsu I kept killing but the IS ninjas who kept picking me off during the battle/the 4 ones after the boss before the save point). But I like games like that.

ultim8p00

Banned
mernst23 said:
I'm not sure what your definition of "fairly easily" is. It took my like 4 hours and I wanted to punch a baby while doing it (especially at the Rasetsu I kept killing but the IS ninjas who kept picking me off during the battle/the 4 ones after the boss before the save point). But I like games like that.

Well, we're speaking on Ninja Gaiden terms here, so "fairly easily" would be about that or less. You'll love mission mode since it strips a lot of the bullshit that's in story mode like getting pwned around corners, shit camera, etc and focuses purely on combat.

TripOpt55

I'm going to think about picking up the mission mode. I haven't played this game since August though. I'm not sure I'd be ready for it.

desh

mernst23 said:
Master Ninja Mode. (The difficulty you unlock after mentor) Also known as the moment you begin to hate your gaming life.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was Master Ninja, I just couldn't think of what the second M might stand for.

So, is Master Ninja on NG2 much more difficult than Master Ninja on NG:Black. I just finished Master Ninja on Black, and it really wasn't all that bad. In fact the hardest part of the game is getting to the first save point.

Ifrit

desh said:
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was Master Ninja, I just couldn't think of what the second M might stand for.

So, is Master Ninja on NG2 much more difficult than Master Ninja on NG:Black. I just finished Master Ninja on Black, and it really wasn't all that bad. In fact the hardest part of the game is getting to the first save point.

It is, and just like NG:B,the hardest part is the begining of the game, specifically the first couple of levels, after that it gets easier with some hard parts here and there. Just be prepared to face lots of projectile enemies, you are going to hate them... and most of the bosses too.

Haeleos said:
Use scythe.

Worked well but I took a ton of damage.

So this time, I just sank to the bottom and used the gatling gun. Had to mash the B buttom for like 5 minutes straight but it worked :lol

Pretty funny to see the parts of a hoverbot sink every so often also.

finally.jpg

Oh god that was hell. Hardest thing I've ever done in gaming no doubt about that.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I bought this the other day for 20 bucks and just got around to playing it. I'm fighting some sort of electric subway train in NYC right now.

I *love* this game.

I do miss the puzzle elements and the persistent world that NG1 had (though I never beat that game, I couldn't get past the first fight with the guy that burned Hayubasa village down at the beginning).

I do really really like this one so far. The slowdown is annoying, but the projectiles don't bother me. They were far worse in the first game.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one, hopefully I don't hit a wall at some point I can't get past (I need to go finish NG:black too. I'm very close to the end.

Top Bottom