• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

I honestly thought Ninja Gaiden on Xbox had a pretty decent story for a videogame. Sure, it was simple, but the presentation values were awesome, and it wasn't full of itself. It wasn't "laughably bad" by any stretch of the imagination.

Teknoman

syllogism said:
NG stories really were pretty amazing for a console game back then

Wasnt it the first game to actually have cutscenes during the game? Im playing through it again after so long on the VC. Actually feels like stylish action in the way you have to pretty much dash through the level.

We got these in today and I couldn't resist buying it.
2ijqbfp.jpg

The original guide released for the first Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was missing things like all the Golden Scarab locations, and this one seems similarly rushed. It tells you where every Crystal Skull is, but provides no indication of what they do. It also has no mention of achievements. I don't plan on reading much of it before the game comes out, as I'd liked to be surprised by something, but I did thumb through it. I liked exploring the environments in NG1 and would like to see if I can find all the Crystal Skulls on my own, especially since it seems you won't need to do them all in one shot and can redo certain chapters similar to collecting COG tags in Gears.

Few things I noticed:
-Ryu really is taking drugs this time around. He uses herb to heal and shrooms for magic, much like my uncle.
-1UP is correct, you do need to hold the "survive" button immediately upon defeating the lava armadillo or it's game over
-If you somehow miss a weapon along the way, it can be bought at the next Muramasa statue you come across
-As for the repeated boss fights, it may not be so bad (Spoilerific details below)
Team Ninja has shown five boss characters so far, and near the end of the game you fight them a second time. Basically Ryu kill each one of them at the ends of earlier levels, then goes to Hell and kills them a second time (that's kinda badass, actually). In Hell they are stronger and have some new tricks up their sleeves like new moves and minions. It's likely the strategy you used to defeat them the first time around will only be partially effective. It seems you have a number of run-ins with Genshin, not just two. Thankfully the game does not end with you just killing old bosses with some new tricks. On paper this seems slightly less annoying than the repeated bosses in DMC4 because in that game 1.) you fought every boss but Credo 3 times 2.) it took place in the same levels

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit, so I just got it and the fucking thing just crashed on the first loading screen -_-

raYne

a Master Ninja said:
-Ryu really is taking drugs this time around. He uses herb to heal and shrooms for magic, much like my uncle.
:lol

Ryu kicking demon ass in
Hell
ftw!

Seiken said:
Holy shit, so I just got it and the fucking thing just crashed on the first loading screen -_-
Huh?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Working in video game stores is awesome.

FFChris

a Master Ninja said:
-As for the repeated boss fights, it may not be so bad (Spoilerific details below)

Ach, must have missed this. It was bad enough in DMC4, but now here? I hope they have some sort of variety like Almas fights.

Mrbob

Draft said:
Just a note: I don't think it's fair to lump the original Ninja Gaiden (NES) in with the rest as having a "bad story." If I remember, that game was one of the first to have an actual story, with cutscenes, characters that spoke at length, etc.

It's really one of the precursors to the cinematic story telling techniques used by most games today.

For reals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkaiKYEkDQ

So badass.

Hell even the Ninja Gaiden 2 intro is a precursor to future games by even introducing the main characters as part of the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIbCNSsLqk&feature=related

No intros on NES touch these games.

LowParry

FFChris said:
Ach, must have missed this. It was bad enough in DMC4, but now here? I hope they have some sort of variety like Almas fights.

Ya know, I didn't mind the repeating boss battles like it was done in DMC 1 or 3. You get to that last stage and....oh shit, boss battle after boss battle. The awesome thing about it was, that you were powerful enough to kill them a lot quicker, but had to use to the same tact in a sense. In DMC4, it was the repeat of stages that annoyed the hell outta me.

Mamesj

Banned
FFChris said:

spoilerific details reveal that it's not as bad as DMC4.

raYne

FFChris said:
They do, it's in the spoiler section. It also makes sense in the context of the plot (also in the spoiler section).

FFChris

CcrooK said:
In DMC4, it was the repeat of stages that annoyed the hell outta me.

I think I agree actually. Getting dumped into that burning village stage for the third time pissed me off no end. If the enviroments were varied (as they do in DMC1, and Resident Evil also springs to mind) it's a lot more fun.

Edit: Trying not to read spoilers guys!

raYne

FFChris said:
I think I agree actually. Getting dumped into that burning village stage for the third time pissed me off no end. If the enviroments were varied (as they do in DMC1, and Resident Evil also springs to mind) it's a lot more fun.

Edit: Trying not to read spoilers guys!
Fine. Well you don't fight them in the same place and they gain minions and more moves after the first fight.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm not going to read the spoilers, but if it's anything like the first Ninja Gaiden in regards to fighting some of the bosses again (which most seem to have forgotten), it'll be just fine - and nowhere as bad as it is in DMC4...

Mamesj

Banned
what I still want to know about this game:

--are the cat fiends back? I love fighting those things.

--are enemies remixed in hard and MN? how about new enemies altogether for those modes like in Black/Sigma?

--so there is no mission mode in any form, right? Has Itagaki said anything about this?

and just to be a little bastard, this is shit reviewers should have covered had they not been busy whining. :D (okay, maybe they didn't have to say anything about cat fiends...)

edit: way to perform maintenance during prime time youtube.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
The reviews make this game seem....not as good as I thought it would be.

I was hoping for something amazing. What worries me the most is not actually the camera -- although, I would be lying if I said the camera did not concern me at all. It's the fact that the game supposedly "cheats" you. Bosses delivering a surprise blow after death, the camera preventing you from seeing enemies that fire instant-death projectiles -- that is what I'm worried about.

Gwanatu T

sneaky77 said:
can't wait to get my ass kicked by this game

Bingo.

Holy crap at best official thread EVER!!! Reminds me of Maddox humor. Good job.

P.S. the gore is UNBELIEVABLE in those shots. Blades on feet? Check. Damn.

Tokubetsu

a Master Ninja said:
We got these in today and I couldn't resist buying it.
2ijqbfp.jpg

The original guide released for the first Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was missing things like all the Golden Scarab locations, and this one seems similarly rushed. It tells you where every Crystal Skull is, but provides no indication of what they do. It also has no mention of achievements. I don't plan on reading much of it before the game comes out, as I'd liked to be surprised by something, but I did thumb through it. I liked exploring the environments in NG1 and would like to see if I can find all the Crystal Skulls on my own, especially since it seems you won't need to do them all in one shot and can redo certain chapters similar to collecting COG tags in Gears.

Few things I noticed:
-1UP is correct, you do need to hold the "survive" button immediately upon defeating the lava armadillo or it's game over
-If you somehow miss a weapon along the way, it can be bought at the next Muramasa statue you come across
Team Ninja has shown five boss characters so far, and near the end of the game you fight them a second time. Basically Ryu kill each one of them at the ends of earlier levels, then goes to Hell and kills them a second time (that's kinda badass, actually). In Hell they are stronger and have some new tricks up their sleeves like new moves and minions. It's likely the strategy you used to defeat them the first time around will only be partially effective. It seems you have a number of run-ins with Genshin, not just two. Thankfully the game does not end with you just killing old bosses with some new tricks. On paper this seems slightly less annoying than the repeated bosses in DMC4 because in that game 1.) you fought every boss but Credo 3 times 2.) it took place in the same levels

Sucks about the guide. I was heavily considering pick it up for the crystal skull locations.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
claviertekky said:
So.... any update about this from the Gamerscore blog people?

Demo is out 5/30/08 (likely right now since they are ahead of the US time-wise) in Japan.

Looking for details on rest of world, haven't found anything other than "soon". :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
NGB progress report

Finally made it to the end of chapter 6 (some grade A annoying ass platform elements in this level). On 1up yours Garnett Lee was always going on about some bone dragon boss and how it 'tested your acquired skills up until that point' and he kept raving about it, but I was kinda surprised at the straightforward nature of the battle: dodge attacks, hack at feet, rinse and repeat. Cool fight, but I've had normal encounters that were more entertaining.

On to chapter 7

I fucking love the game btw. The combat is so rewarding. Nothing beats izuna dropping a couple of guys, switching to the Lunar and dishing out some long combos. I don't think I've ever played a game that had better combat.

to think about all the time i've wasted on dev-- aah heh heh

Draft

CPaladino said:
Demo is out 5/30/08 (likely right now since they are ahead of the US time-wise) in Japan.

Looking for details on rest of world, haven't found anything other than "soon". :p
:|

Japan?

Japan doesn't give a FUCK about this game release it HERE.

HERE IN AMERICA.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Draft said:
:|

Japan?

Japan doesn't give a FUCK about this game release it HERE.

HERE IN AMERICA.
Actually they do care about in Japan. :p

And yeah man, I wish I had a firm date to share with you, as soon as I get it, I'll post it up.

Vaxadrin

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
The reviews make this game seem....not as good as I thought it would be.

I was hoping for something amazing. What worries me the most is not actually the camera -- although, I would be lying if I said the camera did not concern me at all. It's the fact that the game supposedly "cheats" you. Bosses delivering a surprise blow after death, the camera preventing you from seeing enemies that fire instant-death projectiles -- that is what I'm worried about.

Decado said:
Likewise. I was going to buy a 360 to play this game in June. Not so sure now.
Ninja Gaiden doesn't need the likes of you.

You either are a ninja, or you aren't.

There is no ninja fence to sit on.

FrankT

Just checked my Japan account, notta yet or perhaps because that account is silver I'm very well may not be seeing it.

Top Bottom