• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Llyranor

Finally finished the game (Warrior). What an awesome experience - easily a strong GOTY candidate for me.

(Melee) combat is so visceral and satisfying, and a massive step up from NGB for me. For the most part, I found it to be better than NGB. The game crashed on me twice, and occasional stuttering/framerate drops, but from a technical perspective I didn't find much to complain about.

From a design perspective, there were no puzzles and platforming was kept to an absolute minimum, as were any underwater sections. Archery - with jumping and auto-aim charging - was such a step up from the first game. Bosses were fine. Not the highlight of the game (that would go to the epic battles with tons of enemies), but I found them to be at least enjoyable (not any worse than NGB's, in any case). This was helped in part by the massive upgrade archery got.

And then I started a game on Mentor and died at the first fight.

Kai Ozu

MISSIONS MODE IS COMING JULY 25TH!!!11111

1zxw8kj.jpg

Love this game. I have mixed feelings on the camera. If it were pulled out a bit from the action this game just wouldn't feel the same. As it is I've gotten good at visualizing the battlefield and have a fairly good understanding of how enemies behave, and can sort of feel where the ones off screen are lurking. Still I wish they could keep the closeness to the characters yet give you a better view of what's going on around you.

Kai Ozu said:
MISSIONS MODE IS COMING JULY 25TH!!!11111

1zxw8kj.jpg

Oh hell yes.

PhatSaqs

Banned
On my 3rd playthrough now. 1 regular Warrior, 1 Tonfa Warrior and now doing a DS Mentor.

I can now say this game has surpassed NGB for me in terms of enjoyment. Probably will come out as my favorite game of the gen. Yes it's not as polished as NGB but the combat is what makes this game what it is and it is LEAGUES beyond any other game that has come in the genre in that area. I fuckin love this game and I seriously doubt i'll buy anything else for a decent while.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ElyrionX said:
What's mission mode?

Standalone tests of Valor. You have to kill some specific challenge with the resources provided. Ninja Gaiden Black had some 50-odd challenges in it. Balls out hard as hell.

TP

Cianalas said:
Gah!! Is there any way to do any significant damage the the archfiend's last form? I have every weapon maxed out and nothing seems to do anything more than scratch him.

I beat him on Warrior with the Scythe
When he's on the ledge wait for him to swing his arm up for an attack (perfecting the timing might take you a while) then jump and XXY combo his face, you'll avoid the attack and do decent damage. When he uses Hyper Beam You can dodge around his chest but I rather do damage with Dark Void. I used jump XXY when he was stomping around too

_dementia said:
say, is it possible to get both armadillos all volcanic?

Yes, and it sucks
my entire screen was glowing red and orange

TwiztidElf

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is it possible to switch to manual saves from an Auto save?

I was too deep into the game before I'd even realized that there was a manual option. Thankfully, I'm already past the level10 glitch trouble free.

I'm playing on Warrior, and I plan to do an Acolyte run next before tackling Mentor. Should I start a whole new manual save for my Acolyte run, losing my Warrior levelled up weapons, in order to prep for Mentor? Or is it possible to switch to manual somehow? Cheers.

MCD

TwiztidElf said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is it possible to switch to manual saves from an Auto save?

I was too deep into the game before I'd even realized that there was a manual option. Thankfully, I'm already past the level10 glitch trouble free.

I'm playing on Warrior, and I plan to do an Acolyte run next before tackling Mentor. Should I start a whole new manual save for my Acolyte run, losing my Warrior levelled up weapons, in order to prep for Mentor? Or is it possible to switch to manual somehow? Cheers.
press the back button.

Hunahan

Banned
TwiztidElf said:

Autosave will create a new save for each difficulty anyways.

ie - you keep all your warrior data when you start acolyte. Same for mentor, MN, etc.

At least....I think that's what you're getting at...?

ElyrionX

Does anybody have technical audio issues when playing the game? My sound drops a lot, like I'll have a split second loss in audio once every 30 seconds of gameplay and it is extremely annoying. I'm not sure if it's the game or my optical audio cable messing up.

Victrix

*beard*
ElyrionX said:
Does anybody have technical audio issues when playing the game? My sound drops a lot, like I'll have a split second loss in audio once every 30 seconds of gameplay and it is extremely annoying. I'm not sure if it's the game or my optical audio cable messing up.

You know, I have this exact same issue with HDMI. I thought I was going crazy, it was happening during DMC4, and it happens now and then in NG2. Not common by any means, but it does occur occasionally.

Chalk up another cool 360 feature I guess.

Mohonky

As much as I love this game god some of the level design is just fucking terrible. Wtf is the point of having situations where you need to use your bow to kill your enemy, but you can't do fucking shit because you're being bounced around the place by rockets or demons throwing fireballs at you.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Finally beat it!! I could go on and on about how I feel towards the game, but I think this summarizes nicely.

Ninja Gaiden 2's combat: excellent

everything else in the game: good to terrible

Oh, and the rampant sexism and repeating boss battles needs to stop, among other things.

Ifrit

Ok, so I finished walking the path of the warrior (took 13 hours), so the first part of the training is complete, now I will begin the last part of my training (mentor) in order to play the real deal (MN).

But serously speaking, the game's fucking incredible, the weapons are all great and a big step up from black in the way that they're balanced (I used them all and loved every single one of them), some thoughs:

- Glad to know I wasn't the only one to miss the rod on my first playtrough
- Found 28 skulls without any help (I think I know were's one skull that I missed but no idea were the other one is)
- The game definitely lacks some polish (nothing a patch or two can't handle)
- The combat is really satisfying, letting you slash limbs off enemies and adjusting your strategy around it is one of the best ideas ever
- Soundtrack is epic
- The ending credits sequence is awesome
- The "story" :lol
- Making individual levels with no backtracking is a huge plus in my book
- Some of the bosses were kind of a letdown, on the topic of bosses the best ones were definitely all the genshing fights and the elizebeth ones
- They should tone down a little bit the frequency of the projectile attacks from enemies, getting like 10 exploding shurikens in the face in a fraction of a second is a little too much, same with fireballs/arrows/torsos from enemies, for some reason I didn't have that much trouble with bazookas or missiles.
-Wasn't a fan of the fights were the fiend bow was involved
-Best gaming purchase I've made this year for the 360 next to CoD4 and DMC4 (not trying to start a debate here)

Now a question, what does people in this thread think of the harder difficulties?

Gowans

picked it back up at end of chapt 4, killed the boss after much fannying on then thought that was it and saved and died on some little plebby guys :(

/turns it off

Ifrit said:
Now a question, what does people in this thread think of the harder difficulties?

It's not even a comparison. The jump in difficulty is rediculous. In other games it'd be two or 3 difficulty jumps. It's not a curve, it's a cliff.

But you bought the game, so you know what to expect.

Ifrit

DC R1D3R said:
Shit gets real.

God's Beard said:
It's not even a comparison. The jump in difficulty is rediculous. In other games it'd be two or 3 difficulty jumps. It's not a curve, it's a cliff.

But you bought the game, so you know what to expect.

That actually sounds great I'm all for a good challenge, I doesn't cross the line between fairness and cheapness, does it?

Ifrit

Llyranor said:
I hear there'll be lots of projectiles.

God's Beard said:
depends on how much of a bitch you are

:lol I guess I'm going to have to find that out by myself (talking about the fairness of the game, not the bitch part), thanks for the responses

MaddenNFL64

So the end of level 10, with the mass rush of enemies before Elizabet. What weapon did you guys have the most fun with? fully upgraded vigoorian flail UT's over & over blew my fricken mind. Even though the framerate was at 10 :lol

Ifrit

MaddenNFL64 said:
So the end of level 10, with the mass rush of enemies before Elizabet. What weapon did you guys have the most fun with? fully upgraded vigoorian flail UT's over & over blew my fricken mind. Even though the framerate was at 10 :lol

Epic stairs are epic (the Frame rate drops are also epic :lol ), got through that part using Kusari-gama (sp?) UT, limbs everywhere. I really enjoyed the stairs, so awesome

Finished the game last night on wussy level. Beat the 2nd to last boss on my first try after learning the BOW HAS AUTO AIM.:lol The day before he killed me about 25 times straight.
I really enjoyed Chapters 10-14. Some truly Epic settings. So damn Evil. Condemned was scarier but this game had such a sense of evil it was overwhelming. Loved it!!:D
Chapter 9, come on Team Ninja you're better than that. Such an Epic Fail of level design.

ok. so I'm playing chapter 3, and there's this cutscene where some fiend comes out of the ground, right? well, back to gameplay it freezes/lags whatever, but when I get control again, all of the sudden he's on top of me and I'm already dead.

Bullshit. My disc sucks so much ass.

Ifrit said:
Epic stairs are epic (the Frame rate drops are also epic :lol ), got through that part using Kusari-gama (sp?) UT, limbs everywhere. I really enjoyed the stairs, so awesome
I got annoyed by the huge drops after a time so I just pulled out the Scythe and unleashed those UT "scythe-shots" all along the stairs, just to stop the ninjas right at the top gate.

X26

Banned
Beat ch.1 on mentor, I feel so proud of myself. Ended up only using one of the weaker healing items during the whole thing, which was during the boss fight. God bless counterattacking.

X26 said:
Beat ch.1 on mentor, I feel so proud of myself. Ended up only using one of the weaker healing items during the whole thing, which was during the boss fight. God bless counterattacking.
counter's don't do shit against the chapter 2 boss except get your ass whooped. just a heads up.

Victrix

*beard*
The upshot to the higher difficulties is that they forge you in an inferno of pure hatred and lethality. When you emerge from the fires, you are either pathetic, melted slag, or hardened ninja steel.

This process may or may not involve the destruction of one or more 360 controllers.

But seriously, get through even a few levels on Mentor and you will laugh at Warrior 'difficulty'.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I can't get myself to play this game.

It started wonderful, and i'm at the Moscow(?) level. The game just isn't grabbing me anymore.

It's weird, the 1st one made me finish it, but this one just isn't saying "i love you" with each chapter i finish, there's something lacking.

Me and NG2 are over.

Victrix said:
The upshot to the higher difficulties is that they forge you in an inferno of pure hatred and lethality. When you emerge from the fires, you are either pathetic, melted slag, or hardened ninja steel.

This process may or may not involve the destruction of one or more 360 controllers.

But seriously, get through even a few levels on Mentor and you will laugh at Warrior 'difficulty'.
Warrior is so chill. I think I'll do my weapon runs on Warrior.

Victrix said:

It's true that this game absolutely forces you to step up your game. I got stuck at one spot in chapter 3 (right before the first trial of valor) on mentor. Was making no progress. Stopped...took a breathe...and tried again. Equipped the exploding shurikens and the dragon sword and was bouncing off heads tossing shurikens mid air like a true ninja. Beat it easily. Almost died at the surprise rocket launcher dudes on the bridge above, but thankfully i made it to the savepoint alive. Now I just have to tackle this damn test of valor.

WrikaWrek said:
I can't get myself to play this game.

It started wonderful, and i'm at the Moscow(?) level. The game just isn't grabbing me anymore.

It's weird, the 1st one made me finish it, but this one just isn't saying "i love you" with each chapter i finish, there's something lacking.

Me and NG2 are over.
Moscow and the following level are the low points of the game. After that it's pure bliss.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just put the game in to check, and yup, got an update...

Someone on GameFAQs is saying that they have a Chapter 10 save with the glitch, and now he can continue just fine now, so that's awesome news...

Don't know what else is fixed yet still...

I'm on my sixth playthrough and I've never had that glitch, or any other glitch happen to me whatsoever though...

Top Bottom