• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Ifrit

Wow, if it's true that they're patching the game, then TN Respect +1

Anyways, started path of the mentor yesterday and well, it's not that bad actually, except for one part (which is optional), some highlights:

- Getting owned over and over again on the first fight against the exploding shuriken ninjas :lol , btw don't get scared by it, after that fight the game becomes manageable
- Fighting the ninjas with guns is pretty fun actually (they're probably my favorite enemy to fight, and there are lots of them)
- Died a lot in the first boss fight
- Second chapter went ok, I had an easier time in the rematch with the first boss that at the end of the first chapter
- Got the rod of trials for the first time :D
- Genshin fight is still awesome
- Shortly after starting ch 3, I realized I now want to register as a new member of the lunar defense force (I kinda underestimated it before), it just destroys imps and flying demons
- I didn't remember that gold flying demon (mid-boss?) my first time trough the game
- Now the scary part, the first test of valor, HOLY FUCKING SHIT its hard, I lost count on how many times I died trying to finish it, and its pretty hard, I finally manage to beat it (after using all my healing items, all my mushrooms, even all my incendiary shurikens) with a tiny bit of health left, did I mention it was hard? well, it is.
- the ch3 boss is not that bad compared to the previous ones, he isn't joined by other enemies so the fight is pretty much the same as warrior only with a little bit more health, I died some times but only because I didn't have any ninpo left and only had a LoatG (from the Test of valor) for healing on this fight, because, as I said before, all my other healing items were used in the ToV.

I'm having fun in this mode, it seems to be the same as in NGB were, on higher difficulties, it starts hard but becomes a little bit easier once you start upgrading your weapons/health and ninpo: Thumbs up

hopefully the next ToVs aren't as hard as the first, amirite?
:(

raYne

Ifrit said:
hopefully the next ToVs aren't as hard as the first, amirite?
:(
urwrong. :lol Trying to do all the ToVs on Mentor for the first time is a mistake. It's obviously doable, but you'll spend far more time doing those than actually getting through the chapter's themselves.

That said, the difficulties vary just like they do on the other levels. So you'll breeze through some, while others will be a pain in the ass. It does get easier after you do the first though.. For the obvious reasons of having more health/items/upgraded weapons later on.

Ifrit

raYne said:
urwrong. :lol Trying to do all the ToVs on Mentor for the first time is a mistake. It's obviously doable, but you'll spend far more time doing those than actually getting through the chapter's themselves.

That's exactly what happened

raYne said:
That said, the difficulties vary just like they do on the other levels. So you'll breeze through some, while others will be a pain in the ass.

Good to know that, at least, I'll find an easier one down the road, btw how many tests are there?

raYne said:
It does get easier after you do the first though.. For the obvious reasons of having more health/items/upgraded weapons later on.

And that's why I'm planning on doing them my first time through, I don't really see a point on doing them on a new game+, I'll try some more and see how it goes, but I could see myself skipping them on MNM unless its the same, which I'm pretty sure isn't

raYne

Ifrit said:
And that's why I'm planning on doing them my first time through, I don't really see a point on doing them on a new game+, I'll try some more and see how it goes, but I could see myself skipping them on MNM unless its the same, which I'm pretty sure isn't
Nah, that's not what I meant. I meant in terms that it would've been far easier to to them on your Warrior playthrough the first time, but I'm guessing that you missed the Rod like many others did.

The enemy lineup definitely changes based on the level though. That's another reason why it'd be easier to do them on Warrior. In the Mentor ToVs, you're fighting enemies that you won't encounter until much farther into the game early on. Guys like the red spider-legged androids and those blue hover robots with the rockets/maching guns.. You'll encounter them relatively early in the ToVs.

Ifrit

Oh I see, I did miss the rod my first time through, at least the ToVs will make a good training against those enemies later on

Future

I'm currently still trying to beat the test of valor in chapter 6 on mentor. Rocket city :p Much harder than the normal levels. All test of valors up to this one have been manageable, besides the first one in Chapter 3

Edit: Just checked gamefaqs and no one has a listing of the items you get for these tests of valors on Mentor. Anyone beat the one in Chapter 6? Debating whether or not to skip it. If its Lives of a Thousand gods I'll keep at it. Otherwise fuck this. Mech chicks and rocket robots are cheap as hell

TP

First thing I noticed with this patch is enemies disappear if you run into another fight
In Chapter 6 I ran past the wolfs at the top of the castle, swung on the flag poles, broke through the window, and killed all the enemies inside, before one of the wolfs I ran from would jump down there and wait for me on the other side of the door, not this time.

After leaving the castle I ran past the crab like enemies, I ran to the bridge where the fight with the dragons activates. Before the crab monsters would still be on the other side and they would dig underground to the other side and fight me, not anymore.

I wonder what else is fixed
frame rate?

Future

Jeo said:

I think the items change on Mentor difficulty

Dammnit. The hovering rocket robots (they were on water in Warrior difficulty) are designed like ninja dogs in this game. Only designed to be annoying as hell. Run fast as hell so constantly going out of your range and off screen, and while the dogs simple dive at you and throw you constantly these guys shoot rockets as if from a gatling gun. Ghost fish in NG1 have nothing on these fools.

Jeo said:
First thing I noticed with this patch is enemies disappear if you run into another fight
In Chapter 6 I ran past the wolfs at the top of the castle, swung on the flag poles, broke through the window, and killed all the enemies inside, before one of the wolfs I ran from would jump down there and wait for me on the other side of the door, not this time.

After leaving the castle I ran past the crab like enemies, I ran to the bridge where the fight with the dragons activates. Before the crab monsters would still be on the other side and they would dig underground to the other side and fight me, not anymore.

I wonder what else is fixed
frame rate?
well before leaving an enemy or two behind would kill the framerate, I wonder why they made that decision now?

Draft

Is there a way to combo a forward jump into an Izuna Drop with the Dragon Sword? I know the Lunar and Claws can do it.

raYne

Draft said:
Is there a way to combo a forward jump into an Izuna Drop with the Dragon Sword? I know the Lunar and Claws can do it.
Meaning starting the combo in mid-air? I never really used the Claws or Lunar in this game so I'm just clarifying if that's what you meant.

If so, not that I recall. All of the DS' Izuna combos start from the ground and you can't really combo the DS that much from a mid-air starting position to begin with. So I really doubt it. It's easy enough to start them up after a dash or a stunning shuriken throw though, so it's not that big an issue.

That said, why not just look through the move list?

TP

Whats the max number of Ninpo slots?
I thought it was 7 but I just upgraded to 8
that's probably it though

EDIT: I now have 9 slots

Draft said:

Yes, I've only done it a couple of times with the true dragon sword. But it's doable.

You can also izuna drop after a jump with the tonfa.

Renji Zabimaru said:
I just got an update for the game. Anyone have any idea what it's for?
Downloaded the update, but so far I haven't noticed any differences. I never had the Chapter 10 spawn glitch, but I loaded up Chapter 10 on Warrior anyway just because I remember that level having the most performance issues. I played through the entire chapter, but the performance seemed exactly as I remembered it. Slowdown, screen tearing, etc in the same spots. I want to look into what Jeo was referring to a little more, though.

Continue to post your impressions because I'd like to know exactly what this patch fixed. Anything more than the game ending glitch?

EDIT: I'm playing with the 360 set to "1080p", if that makes any difference.

Jeo said:
Im in Chapter 9 and it looks like the jellyfish no longer give you karma
but they do give essence.
Awesome if true. I wonder if they'll reset the leaderboards or maybe just knock off the top few guys that clearly abused that glitch.

TP

a Master Ninja said:
Awesome if true. I wonder if they'll reset the leaderboards or maybe just knock off the top few guys that clearly abused that glitch.

I tried it again, nothing
The combo meter doesn't show up either
I have Karma on "display"

EDIT: The glitchy worm still hasn't been fixed (Ch. 10)

EDIT: The CH 10 Staircase battle was fixed :D
Only about 8-10 enemies show up at a time
there were some slowdowns but slightly noticeable (nothing compared to before)
I can't tell you if it was the same amount of enemies because I was
far to busy enjoying the moment

The missing AI on the Spider ninjas on the bridge isn't fixed (Ch 11)

TwiztidElf

Every now and then, a game comes along that completely vindicates your choice of committing so much time to being a gamer.
This is one of these games. So much joy.

Monocle

Cheers to Team Ninja for the update. I didn't expect them to be so prompt.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up any of the costume packs. On the one hand, I want to conserve my recently purchased 1600 points for things I'll really enjoy, like the soon-to-be-released mission mode or Soul Calibur 4's DLC. On the other hand, awesome Ryu is awesome.

I haven't started a Mentor run yet. Christ, I'm lazy. I've been wasting too much time on my Dragon Sword-only Acolyte playthrough. I guess if I'm having fun the time isn't really being wasted, but still.

Just picked this up today using a 25% off used games coupon from EB.

Question: Should I start this on Acolyte (is it too easy?) or Warrior (is it too hard?)

MikeE21286 said:
Just picked this up today using a 25% off used games coupon from EB.

Question: Should I start this on Acolyte (is it too easy?) or Warrior (is it too hard?)

I'm a Ninja Gaiden vet and I had a bit of trouble 3/4 of the way through on Warrior.

I wish I had actually played through starting on Acolyte because I plan on playing through all of them. Going back now and starting Acolyte feels kind of...pointless.

permutated said:
I'm a Ninja Gaiden vet and I had a bit of trouble 3/4 of the way through on Warrior.

I wish I had actually played through starting on Acolyte because I plan on playing through all of them. Going back now and starting Acolyte feels kind of...pointless.

Ok, well I beat Ninja Gaiden 1 (probably just on the default difficulty) so I don't know if I'd say I'm a vet, but I'm not horrid. I think i'mma go with Acolyte and see how the first couple chapters go.

fartblast

Banned
i have been playing this 'Ninja Gaiden II" on the warrior difficulty after not being able to bring myself to start out on acolyte. it's really starting to piss me off. the game gets really unfair, the money in the game is seemingly impossible to save up because of constantly getting raped by some of the worst artistically inspired enemies ive ever seen in a game. there's a fine line of sucking at a game and getting fucked with by poor game design. fuck that water boss, all it seems to be is fighting horrible programming where jumping off the ledge you start on is impossible. the game obv. could have used another month or two of development.

but then i bought dmc4 on an impulse the other day, its still sitting in the shrinkwrap. should i play through that instead?

X26

Banned
fartblast said:
i have been playing this 'Ninja Gaiden II" on the warrior difficulty after not being able to bring myself to start out on acolyte. it's really starting to piss me off. the game gets really unfair, the money in the game is seemingly impossible to save up because of constantly getting raped by some of the worst artistically inspired enemies ive ever seen in a game. there's a fine line of sucking at a game and getting fucked with by poor game design. fuck that water boss, all it seems to be is fighting horrible programming where jumping off the ledge you start on is impossible. the game obv. could have used another month or two of development.

but then i bought dmc4 on an impulse the other day, its still sitting in the shrinkwrap. should i play through that instead?

why not just go through it on acolyte then?

MikeE21286 said:
Ok, well I beat Ninja Gaiden 1 (probably just on the default difficulty) so I don't know if I'd say I'm a vet, but I'm not horrid. I think i'mma go with Acolyte and see how the first couple chapters go.

Yeah, if you get to chapter 4 without problems then jump to Warrior mode.

fartblast said:
Bunch of red flags here indicating you're playing the wrong difficulty. Similar to DMC, you shouldn't find yourself spending much money on health items. Ultimate Techniques should be giving you more cash than you know what to do with. Acolyte, among other things, brings lower prices at the store. As for the Chapter 5 Water Dragon fight, the point is to stay on the platform. You can fight him in the water, but it's a lot easier and safer to dodge his attacks and shoot him in the face with arrows. For instance this guy isn't that good but was able to make quick work of him. Bottom Line: Acolyte exists for a reason. There is no shame in mastering it, then hitting up Warrior.

fartblast

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Bunch of red flags here indicating you're playing the wrong difficulty. Similar to DMC, you shouldn't find yourself spending much money on health items. Ultimate Techniques should be giving you more cash than you know what to do with. Acolyte, among other things, brings lower prices at the store. As for the Chapter 5 Water Dragon fight, the point is to stay on the platform. You can fight him in the water, but it's a lot easier and safer to dodge his attacks and shoot him in the face with arrows. For instance this guy isn't that good but was able to make quick work of him. Bottom Line: Acolyte exists for a reason. There is no shame in mastering it, then hitting up Warrior.

holy shit you are really a master ninja.... you see i have made it to this point without much difficulty. i have completed the trial before this boss, where youre fighting the horde of werewolves accompanied by dragons. this part gave me much trouble but after figuring out all i had to do was dodge the wolves and shoot the bow at the dragons, i won. to my surprise i have only been using health items during boss fights, and thats because i get so lazy during bossfights that i just want to slash the shit out of them without figuring out their patterns. Master Ninja i know i got it in me to beat the game on warrior its just that i hate water levels sooo much and i think that water is putting out the flame in this warrior's heart

Llyranor

Once you beat the water boss, that's pretty much it.

I found the water elements in the rest of the game to be relatively painless (at least, compared to Ninja Gaiden Black).

Kreed

Jeo said:
Whats the max number of Ninpo slots?
I thought it was 7 but I just upgraded to 8
that's probably it though

EDIT: I now have 9 slots

You're not supposed to have more than 5 Ki slots so I'm assuming you're taking advantage of the new game + shop glitch? That was supposed to be fixed with the update.

Also I can confirm that you can still encounter the chapter 10 glitch with the updates, but it's not game ending anymore. I glitched one of my save files exploiting the "saving to avoid enemies trick" during a speed run. This caused the enemies in the acid room to disappear so I had no one to fight. But all I had to do was quit the game and restart the file and the enemies showed up again (I've been manually saving anyway so it didn't matter).

Kreed said:
You're not supposed to have more than 5 Ki slots so I'm assuming you're taking advantage of the new game + shop glitch? That was supposed to be fixed with the update.
Has a definitive list of what the update was supposed to fix been released? I updated the OP, but so far I've just pulled things from message board posts, so it may or may not be accurate. Also, what was the speed run karma leader board glitch in the first place?

X26

Banned
Kreed said:

Also I can confirm that you can still encounter the chapter 10 glitch with the updates, but it's not game ending anymore. I glitched one of my save files exploiting the "saving to avoid enemies trick" during a speed run. This caused the enemies in the acid room to disappear so I had no one to fight. But all I had to do was quit the game and restart the file and the enemies showed up again (I've been manually saving anyway so it didn't matter).

That's a glitch? I have 9 ki slots now thanks to the shop, I figured it was just a perk for new game+ to be able to do so

Nutter

X26 said:
That's a glitch? I have 9 ki slots now thanks to the shop, I figured it was just a perk for new game+ to be able to do so
I am doing my weapon run at the moment, and I have 9 Life of a thousand Gods. :lol
along with 11 life of the gods orb.

sh4mike

How did you get 9 Ki slots? I'm stuck at seven.

My shop has LoG and LoTG displayed so no room for Spirit Balls. And I can't buy up the LoG orLoTG to make room because I'm maxed out (cannot use them either).

Kreed

X26 said:

It's a glitch with the shop. When you play a new game + and encounter chests containing items you've already gotten before like Life of the Gods you get Essence in it's place. But the shop thinks you just missed those items so it gives you those for sale when it's not supposed to.

a Master Ninja said:
Has a definitive list of what the update was supposed to fix been released? I updated the OP, but so far I've just pulled things from message board posts, so it may or may not be accurate. Also, what was the speed run karma leader board glitch in the first place?

Before the update the only way to get on the speed run board was when you uploaded your karma score for the first time, and after that you couldn't get ranked anymore. Now you can rank on the speed board any time you beat your previous time.

Tokubetsu

Anyone plan on importing the Ninja Gaiden 2 Perfect Guide? Right now im a big sucker for anything NG but im wondering if I'll get ANY use out of it, even if it has art stuff. 40 bucks is a lot.

AlStrong

Kreed said:
It's a glitch with the shop. When you play a new game + and encounter chests containing items you've already gotten before like Life of the Gods you get Essence in it's place. But the shop thinks you just missed those items so it gives you those for sale when it's not supposed to.

:lol So how big does the life bar get?

TP

sh4mike said:
How did you get 9 Ki slots? I'm stuck at seven.

My shop has LoG and LoTG displayed so no room for Spirit Balls. And I can't buy up the LoG orLoTG to make room because I'm maxed out (cannot use them either).

I just bought them
I did do New Game + for my weapon runs
Makes sense if its a glitch
No point in having 10 LotG, 18 LoG, and 9 Jewels in you can't use them

Right now the shop isn't selling any more upgrades

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Jeo said:
EDIT: The CH 10 Staircase battle was fixed :D
Only about 8-10 enemies show up at a time
there were some slowdowns but slightly noticeable (nothing compared to before)
I can't tell you if it was the same amount of enemies because I was
far to busy enjoying the moment

Wait there are less ninjas on screen now in that part?

Victrix

*beard*
So... I'm doubting all the bugs are fixed in that one tiny update, but I've been playing a bunch lately showing a friend the game, and I haven't hit any of the previous random slowdowns, up to stage 8 so far.

Also, god I love this game. Plowing through Warrior to show off makes me feel like a ninja god, even if the higher difficulties still make me feel like a wimp :( My last run got me up to stage 4 without dying (in the test of valor, hurrr), and I still have a lot of room to improve. My ground game is getting WAY better (a lot less dashing and jumping, more countering, dodging, and blocking).

Draft

I'm still stuck on the first ToV in Mentor.

Getting there, though!

It's really frustrating because you'll have a good run and then WHOOPS nailed by a fire pillar WHOOPS landed right on top of a ninja WHOOPS he just threw me Would You Like to Continue?

Top Bottom