• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Tokubetsu

Alright, this all drunk gaf right now but again FUCK THE HATERS. Seriouslly, y'all need to take the jaded ass gaming BROOMSTICK out of your god damn assholes and appreciate this motherfucking game. Even drunk I still fucking LOVE this game. It's not perfect, it's not but its so god damn near. Someone needs to punch the motherfucker NOSTALGIA ngb/ng1xbox glasses off your bitch ass face so you can wake the fuck up and appreciate this shit. It's so fast and beautiful and awesome and great. You're life most be going horribly if you can't appreciate cool ass ninjas dismembering shit in an awesome fashion. God damn.

G-Fex

Jesus, I rented this about a week ago and played it straight through til chapter 8 which got annoyingly stupid hard. I mean lots of machine gun turrets firing at me + ninja dogs + explosive ninja star ninjas? Damn was I overwhelmed so I gave up finally. :lol I'm no good at these games love them a lot though.

G-Fex said:
Jesus, I rented this about a week ago and played it straight through til chapter 8 which got annoyingly stupid hard. I mean lots of machine gun turrets firing at me + ninja dogs + explosive ninja star ninjas? Damn was I overwhelmed so I gave up finally. :lol I'm no good at these games love them a lot though.

Probably too late, but for the dogs you can just do on landing 360Y lunar attacks (doesn't have to be ET/UT's) and you can take care of them unscathed. The other guys you'll just have to get used to.

Alright, this all drunk gaf right now but again FUCK THE HATERS. Seriouslly, y'all need to take the jaded ass gaming BROOMSTICK out of your god damn assholes and appreciate this motherfucking game. Even drunk I still fucking LOVE this game. It's not perfect, it's not but its so god damn near. Someone needs to punch the motherfucker NOSTALGIA ngb/ng1xbox glasses off your bitch ass face so you can wake the fuck up and appreciate this shit. It's so fast and beautiful and awesome and great. You're life most be going horribly if you can't appreciate cool ass ninjas dismembering shit in an awesome fashion. God damn.

Like, bang, dude.

Tokubetsu

NameGenerated said:
I got to the final boss and, after trying WAY longer than I wanted to, I gave up. It was just so poorly designed.

All I read, was "I'm a pussy." I seriously don't know how anyone had ANY problems with this game difficuly wise or otherwise and wasn't playing on mentor or master ninja. Step your game up, damn.

EDIT: That was kinda harsh, didn't mean it to be but seriously. Come on. Normal isn't hard at all and I i was bitching all the way through DMC3 and I still liked that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tokubetsu said:
All I read, was "I'm a pussy." I seriously don't know how anyone had ANY problems with this game difficuly wise or otherwise and wasn't playing on mentor or master ninja. Step your game up, damn.
Their excuse to allow you to be able to beat him was just have him land once in a while while walking around like an idiot? No thanks.

Fake Edit: I never even finished DMC3 either and I love that game, haven't tried the special edition. I liked NG2, not as much as 1, but the combat was still great to me. The final boss just pissed me off.

NameGenerated said:
Their excuse to allow you to be able to beat him was just have him land once in a while while walking around like an idiot? No thanks.

Fake Edit: I never even finished DMC3 either and I love that game, haven't tried the special edition. I liked NG2, not as much as 1, but the combat was still great to me. The final boss just pissed me off.

Actually the best way to damage him is when he is up against the cliff, run up to his left hand and just spam jump +XY with the scythe. Still try to dodge his attacks of course, but that move is severely overpowered and you can take him out pretty easily.

Tokubetsu

Dude, lvl 3 scythe is a just cheesing all over the last boss. I'd definitely give it another shot. You'll shit all over him with it.

EDIT: yeah, guy above me posted the same exact thing basically lol :lol

PSGames

Tokubetsu said:

Perfectly said.

NIN90

Kinda OT but is the Xbox Original version of NGB any good?
Does it have any special issues?
This would be my first Xbox original title.

Saya

I loved this game. I've played this game 8 times in a row on normal to get all the weapon achievements. However, the mentor difficulty is a bit too much for me. I couldn't make it past the first level. Yeah, I suck. :(

dhelfric said:

I just bought that actually, I've only made it up to chapter 6, but so far it runs perfectly aside from the team ninja logo CG video having slowdown. Other than that I haven't noticed anything wrong.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
dhelfric said:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xboxoriginals/issues.htm

# Ninja Gaiden Black: No audio is heard during the display of the publisher logo. There is a minor performance drop during the Alma cutscene. Original Ninja Gaiden Arcade game does not run and is not supported.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
My girlfriend got me this for Christmas I'm so stoked to play it :D

SpokkX

a Master Ninja said:
For me, the slower, more defensive nature of NG1 boss battles made them more enjoyable than NG2's. I found NG2's combat against regular enemies better than NG1's, they just went overboard on the number of enemies and projectiles you have to manage on the harder difficulties.

Yes I also enjoyed the defenisve playstyle more

Battles against human enemies were still better in NG2 except on later levels with all projectile spamming

Bossbattles in NG2 were totally awful and way worse than NG1 also

gdt

Question:

I just beat the game for the first time and tried to reload my file, and this comes up

Legendary Black Falcon

Dark Blood

Type 20

Whats this?

USD

gdt5016 said:
Question:

I just beat the game for the first time and tried to reload my file, and this comes up

Legendary Black Falcon

Dark Blood

Type 20

Whats this?
Different colors for your costume. Black Falcon is the original, Dark Blood is red (naturally), Type 20 is camo if I recall correctly.

Mamesj

Banned
People seem to repeat that NG1 is a defensive game. I don't know if NG1 is "defensive" by any means. Or any more defensive than NG2. In Black (or maybe the Hurricane Packs), they made guard breaks much more frequent. You certainly can't turtle on normal and harder. You roll, slash, and occasionally block just as you would in NG2. Enemies take more hits, which is substituted by Dynasty Warriors-quantity fodder enemies in NG2.

There are some enemies it pays to fight more defensively in NG1 (ogres and red dragons) but otherwise, I'm not sure where the myth got started.

also, found some more classic NG box art:
xbcx20.jpg

sonicmj1

I absolutely loved Ninja Gaiden Black, but I returned Ninja Gaiden 2 after just a few days of playing it. It's the first title I've ever played where I feel like it legitimately dislikes me.

The feeling really became prominent in Chapter 3. Platforming section ending in a fight where enemies will knock you to the bottom of it? It happens multiple times, including the maddening ventilation shaft section where most of the enemies are perched in areas you can only access by ladders. Projectile spam from offscreen? Happens more than once. And it culminates in a shitty, shitty boss fight based around using your bow, when the strength of the game lies in its excellent fast-paced melee combat, and where the boss has a bunch of attacks that are basically undodgeable (FAQs should not read "be prepared to take damage" as the response to an attack).

I've beaten hard games before. I cleared God Hand, many of the missions in NGB, and a good deal of hard mode. If I feel a challenge is legitimate, I can persevere and win it with the best of them. But when I had the opportunity to return NG2 for a full refund, I just couldn't justify sticking with a game that seemed to intentionally craft encounters around the things its mechanics weren't equipped to handle. And it's a shame, because the combat engine is really, really good.

I feel like I should feel bad about this, but I don't.

Mamesj

Banned
Projectile spam from offscreen? Happens more than once.

ha! that's where all the difficulty comes from on Mentor + master ninja, literally. The A.I. sucks and is guaranteed to eat several combos on several different weapons, but damn, it can time those projectiles like nobody's business.

you're right, it isn't worth it, though I think the game deserves a playthrough on normal--if only to see how the X,X,Y combo with the lunar staff can destroy 95% of the enemies in the game for free.

sonicmj1

Mamesj said:
ha! that's where all the difficulty comes from on Mentor + master ninja, literally. The A.I. sucks and is guaranteed to eat several combos on several different weapons, but damn, it can time those projectiles like nobody's business.

you're right, it isn't worth it, though I think the game deserves a playthrough on normal--if only to see how the X,X,Y combo with the lunar staff can destroy 95% of the enemies in the game for free.

It doesn't happen too often on Warrior, but the times it occurs are annoying. I'm primarily thinking of the hallway just before the boss fight, with three more powerful purple winged demons that like nothing more than to fly in the air and spam projectiles at you when you're occupied with the ground forces. The ventilation hallway, where archers shoot at you while you're trying to climb the ladder to reach them, is nearly as bad just in terms of being a nuisance, though.

I can't imagine what happens when most of the projectiles are actually threatening.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
sonicmj1 said:
I can't imagine what happens when most of the projectiles are actually threatening.

On Mentor they pretty much replace every projectile enemy with multirocket commandos. Because, you know, those enemies were just so fun to fight the developers thought you might like to face more of them.

Mamesj

Banned
don't forget the IS ninjas accompanying the bosses, tossing shurikens the second let you go of block or during the one vulnerable frame at the end of a dash.

I got to Genshin on mentor and said fuck it. :lol

DiddyBop

i cant beat the 2nd boss :( the one in the room thats on fire and he has an electric sword and a claw. most of his combos are blockable but there is this one combo that seems to rip through your guard and eat 1/3 of your health.what do i do gaf?

Nif

DiddyBop said:
i cant beat the 2nd boss :( the one in the room thats on fire and he has an electric sword and a claw. most of his combos are blockable but there is this one combo that seems to rip through your guard and eat 1/3 of your health.what do i do gaf?

Start dodging more. I think you can block the first hit always, and right after that dodge to the left or right and attack.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Mamesj said:
don't forget the IS ninjas accompanying the bosses, tossing shurikens the second let you go of block or during the one vulnerable frame at the end of a dash.

I got to Genshin on mentor and said fuck it. :lol

That's something I really hoped they would have found a way to fix in 2. Nothing was more frustrating than playing the original on Master Ninja with a camera that couldn't decide whether it wanted to focus on the gigantic boss in front of you or the two fiends/ninjas behind you.

ElyrionX

DiddyBop said:

Dodge. Dodge. Dodge.

You can't play NG2 like NG1. Block isn't even half as useful anymore. Keep moving. Keep slashing. You'll beat him.

Also, the Lunar Staff is your friend for the first half of the game, especially for boss encounters.

Oreoleo

DiddyBop said:

Let the boss lead the fight. That is, wait for him to attack, dodge and then counter while he's left open. If you just go in swords swinging he will own you every time.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Tokubetsu said:
y'all need to take the jaded ass gaming BROOMSTICK out of your god damn assholes and appreciate this motherfucking game.

Tokubetsu said:
Someone needs to punch the motherfucker NOSTALGIA ngb/ng1xbox glasses off your bitch ass face so you can wake the fuck up and appreciate this shit.

Tokubetsu said:
You're life most be going horribly if you can't appreciate cool ass ninjas dismembering shit in an awesome fashion. God damn.

:lol

It's really too bad we don't have signatures sometimes...there is so much quotable goodness in your post.

gdt

What is the NG II Mission Mode (800 pts.) I see on the Downloads tab on the Marketplace?

BTW as bad as it is for the future of DLC, those costumes I just downloaded are AWESOME.

gdt5016 said:
What is the NG II Mission Mode (800 pts.) I see on the Downloads tab on the Marketplace?

BTW as bad as it is for the future of DLC, those costumes I just downloaded are AWESOME.
25 missions ranging from single-weapon endless survival with increasingly difficult enemies, to boss challenges and trials.

Not as good (or numerous) as NGB's [free] missions IMO, but I do like survival.

gdt

_dementia said:
25 missions ranging from single-weapon endless survival with increasingly difficult enemies, to boss challenges and trials.

Not as good (or numerous) as NGB's [free] missions IMO, but I do like survival.

Hmm, sold!

Daigoro

im really loving this game. it would have been worth full price for me, but you cant beat a $10 game.

im playing on Warrior. i just beat Volf this morning and got the scythe. now im on the flying ship and ninjas are throwing exploding darts at me.

im glad i installed it to the HD, it runs much smoother now. im addicted.

do the DLC outfits add anything, or just change your apperance?

Just got this bastard in the mail from that awesome Best Buy deal!

I made it up to the second boss at a friends house over the summer, damn that bitch was hard. It's payback time.

nyong

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Just got this bastard in the mail from that awesome Best Buy deal!

I made it up to the second boss at a friends house over the summer, damn that bitch was hard. It's payback time.

I'm still waiting on mine from the same deal. I probably checked the mail 10 times today. Stupid lack of letters threw me off.

nyong said:
I'm still waiting on mine from the same deal. I probably checked the mail 10 times today. Stupid lack of letters threw me off.

I went ahead with expedited shipping. I hardly ever do that as it adds almost another $10 to the order, but whatever, since it was so cheap I didn't mind.

Daigoro

i beat it on Warrior. im at the top of my friends list leader board by a few thousand Karma. :lol

i also beat it once on Acolyte and got my Dragon Sword master achievement.

im missing one friggin skull somewhere though!

i think im going to try a few more weapon run achievements and then try Mentor.

the game is awesome.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nice to see people still joining the club - welcome to action heaven...

Gotta get back into it again myself soon too...

I'm at the
MASTER OF LIGHTNING!!!!
. I know I can beat him but I can't forgive myself for using too many healing items on him so I let him beat me to start over.

Mamesj

Banned
Mister_Mingi said:
I'm at the
MASTER OF LIGHTNING!!!!
. I know I can beat him but I can't forgive myself for using too many healing items on him so I let him beat me to start over.

On Warrior:

For any boss with 2 legs in the game: equip the Lunar (at least level 2) -> block, dodge, or eat their attack (doesn't matter since you're about to win in 10 seconds) -> X,X,Y combo. They might block X,X, but Y will take off about a quarter damage. :lol

Also works on most enemies.

Mamesj said:
On Warrior:

For any boss with 2 legs in the game: equip the Lunar (at least level 2) -> block, dodge, or eat their attack (doesn't matter since you're about to win in 10 seconds) -> X,X,Y combo. They might block X,X, but Y will take off about a quarter damage. :lol

Also works on most enemies.

Thanks!

ilbambino said:
any hints for the thunder snake boss? Are arrows the only way to beat it?

To my knowledge, they are the only way to beat him. Charged up shots to his face and he will die quicker than quick arrow shots to random parts of his anatomy.

He can be pretty hard. The camera angle during that battle doesn't help much either.

This game has some really hard bosses. I love it. It makes me feel like I was just told that the baby isn't my child while on Maury when I finally beat them.

Top Bottom