• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection Announced

But there's a Series S and X version, so, I'm wondering what's up with that.
Only the version of the trailer hosted by Gematsu (link) sports the SeriesX/S logo.

The game's US website specifies, "playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S via Backward Compatibility." Additionally, the Series X/S logo isn't featured on any of the game's websites (US, UK, Japan) nor any of the trailers hosted by Koei Tecmo (US, UK, Japan).

Most likely, the PR video sent to the press erroneously featured the Series X/S logo and was subsequently removed. Even the Gematsu article (link) on the game doesn't mention Series X/S. Related, the press release (link) on the game also states the game is played via backwards compatibility on the PS5 & Series X/S.

Last edited:

Banned
thank god that the better versions of the first 2 games are not only backwards compatible but are also enhanced on Xbox One X/Series X...
Sigma? nah thanks!

and 3 is dogshit no matter what version. I guess Razors Edge is not quite as terrible but still pretty terrible. they basically polished up a turd, but it remains a turd

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm curious what if any improvements there will be over the PS3 versions, Resolution and Framerate is obviously.
I doubt it's gonna look much different

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
DX8NLEAW4AEPHiU.jpg

this legit makes me want to buy a series x when i have no use for it otherwise

the sigma versions are ass compared to NGB and NG2

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There is no excuse to not include Black and 2 OG. They must really have a grudge against Itagaki.
I know people prefer those versions but you gotta remember that to the Team Ninja the Sigma versions are the updated ones.
It's like making the MGS Collection and including the original versions and not the Substance/Subsistence.

Reizo Ryuu

There is no excuse to not include Black and 2 OG. They must really have a grudge against Itagaki.
There's all the excuse, MS owns NG2, it had no chance of being included in this collection; the grudge against itagaki was all hayashi, it pretty much ended when he had failure after failure, and finally completely shit the bed with NG3, they went back to what worked and made NG3:RE much closer to NG2 than Sigma 2 was.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I saw this, got excited and then keep remembering there were 3D Ninja Gaidens that had nothing to do with the original.

Are we ever going to get 2D remakes of the originals? Give me full on anime cutscenes and a beautiful hand drawn art style. I'm shocked we haven't had anyone revisit them since the SNES.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I know people prefer those versions but you gotta remember that to the Team Ninja the Sigma versions are the updated ones.
It's like making the MGS Collection and including the original versions and not the Substance/Subsistence.

I think this is more of a case where people want something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Street-Fighter-Anniversary-Review-Shot-(36).jpg

sf30-game-menu.jpg

...but for Ninja Gaiden/DoA games. Imagine these types of menus:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

This way you please all fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Anyone got a summary of the diff between base and sigma? I only played the the first game on the OG xbox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Defo picking this up on switch.
yeah, it’ll be the ultimate Vita port of the game. :) I have owned each version of this game since the original. If I’m not playing it on Xbox then I’ll get it for the Switch. After X amount of times owning this series, it boils down to being able to play it on the go. The Vita ports of 1 and 2 had significant slow downs. I hope the Switch version delivers.

Last edited:

PsyEd

I'll wait for reviews for PC to see what gfx options are there. Itagaki's version of NG:B and NG2 not being there....doesn't appeal to me tbh.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Vanilla NG2 is on Game Pass right now. Been replaying a level or so between other games and the combat mechanics are still second to none.

Anyone who hasnt already played these should definitely pick this up.
it actually left Game Pass at the beginning of this week

BeardGawd

Banned
Anyone got a summary of the diff between base and sigma? I only played the the first game on the OG xbox.
With Sigma the blood and gore are significantly toned down (the PS3 had problems with these effects). Difficulty was also toned down but not in a good way.

If you have no other option Sigma is ok but Black and OG2 are the definitive experiences.

Larxia

Oh nice!!! I was talking about this recently with a friend, that we would like some remaster available on PC.
Do we know if the coop mode will still be there? I have to ask because for some reason it seems to be a trend for remasters to remove multiplayer modes...
Quoting myself, because I just found out the multiplayer coop won't be there...

Seriously what's up with remasters ALWAYS removing multiplayer from games?

Sunset Overdrive on pc = no more multiplayer
Mass Effect Remaster = no more multiplayer in mass effect 3
Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep HD = no more multiplayer
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD = no more multiplayer
Assassin's Creed 3 Remaster = no more multiplayer

And the list could go on. It's really frustrating, it seems to be a very consistent thing, remaster = no more online.

* Online multiplayer is not available for the “TAG MISSIONS” in NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2.
* The "Clan Battle" for "Shadows of the World" in NINJA GAIDEN 3 Razor's Edge is not included. Online multiplayer is not available for “Ninja Trials”.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Ninja gaiden for the Xbox was one of the hardest and most punishing games I’ve ever played. Yet I kept trying to progress despite dying costing 20-30+ minutes of time. It’s a good game. I wonder how I’d fare now. Probably worse lol

I had the same experience. Amazing combat and gorgeous graphics but so darn difficult.

Soodanim

As someone who has only played the Sigma games, they are great fun.

From what I hear, NG2 on higher difficulties was a constant spam of explosive shurikens that isn’t fun for anyone.

I’d be interested to play Black/Vanilla 2, but if I get to have these on PC with the possibility of mods and other tweaks (maybe 120fps?) then I’ll take that opportunity.

Seeing as you useless fuckers want to moan but not be helpful and explain why you don’t like Sigma 2, here’s a quick Wiki quote outlining the changes:
Though Team Ninja developed the title, the series' creator Tomonobu Itagaki did not design it, as he left Team Ninja after completing Ninja Gaiden II. Yosuke Hayashi, director of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, produced and directed NGS2.[11] Hayashi as the new director of Team Ninja had the game ported from its original Xbox 360 engine to the engine used to create Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The game's native resolution became 720p, compared to the original 585p in the original Xbox 360 version, with an increased use of bloomlighting effect.[12] Eurogamer commented that the game "has the visual edge, not just thanks to its massively increased resolution but also through the accomplished use of the RSX's pixel shaders."[13]

As a trade off for increased resolution, the amount of on-screen action has been reduced in the PS3 version to keep the game running at an acceptable speed. Eurogamer pointed out that there are fewer enemies spawned at one time in the PS3 version of the game, and the developers "blatantly remove polygons in the Sigma edition in order to maintain frame-rate."[13] Also of note is the reduction of bloodshed and gore-related violence than the Xbox 360 version.[14] Sprays of blood have been replaced by purple mist, and dead enemies and severed limbs will vanish from the battlefield "almost instantly" after killing an enemy.[12] Hayashi had many textures replaced to vastly improve the visual appeal of each environment, but left most character textures unchanged.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Hard pass. I have Black and 2 on Series S.

2 left GP which probably has to do with this shitty announcement? Sadly its 30 bucks. But its worth it regardless.

From what I hear, NG2 on higher difficulties was a constant spam of explosive shurikens that isn’t fun for anyone.

I’d be interested to play Black/Vanilla 2, but if I get to have these on PC with the possibility of mods and other tweaks (maybe 120fps?) then I’ll take that opportunity.

Seeing as you useless fuckers want to moan but not be helpful and explain why you don’t like Sigma 2, here’s a quick Wiki quote outlining the changes:
Though Team Ninja developed the title, the series' creator Tomonobu Itagaki did not design it, as he left Team Ninja after completing Ninja Gaiden II. Yosuke Hayashi, director of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, produced and directed NGS2.[11] Hayashi as the new director of Team Ninja had the game ported from its original Xbox 360 engine to the engine used to create Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The game's native resolution became 720p, compared to the original 585p in the original Xbox 360 version, with an increased use of bloomlighting effect.[12] Eurogamer commented that the game "has the visual edge, not just thanks to its massively increased resolution but also through the accomplished use of the RSX's pixel shaders."[13]

As a trade off for increased resolution, the amount of on-screen action has been reduced in the PS3 version to keep the game running at an acceptable speed. Eurogamer pointed out that there are fewer enemies spawned at one time in the PS3 version of the game, and the developers "blatantly remove polygons in the Sigma edition in order to maintain frame-rate."[13] Also of note is the reduction of bloodshed and gore-related violence than the Xbox 360 version.[14] Sprays of blood have been replaced by purple mist, and dead enemies and severed limbs will vanish from the battlefield "almost instantly" after killing an enemy.[12] Hayashi had many textures replaced to vastly improve the visual appeal of each environment, but left most character textures unchanged.

Trust me vanilla NG2 is much better. Especially on One X or higher. locked 60fps, 4k, HDR. Its more visceral than Sigma, enemy count is higher which suits the level design more. Explosive spam isn't that bad. At least not on Normal. I just make a beeline for the ranged fighters, and don't stop moving.

Sigma 2 feels barren a lot of the time, because there are more encounters in the original release. Enemies have received higher health bars which makes the game more boring in return. And I reckon more unbalanced on MN as well.

Last edited:

From what I remember, Sigma 2 is aesthetically prettier, with cooler colours overall, including the purple mist from dismemberment and I quite liked the slash marks being changed from white (NGII) to blood red (Sigma 2). The higher resolution and more stable framerate certainly helped as well.

Thing is, NGII was about managing hordes and general chaos (shuriken spam is indeed a thing). Sigma 2 changed all that with reduced enemy counts, increased enemy health to compensate and now your weapon upgrades are funneled because you pick up the upgrade resources at predetermined points. In vanilla you upgrade based on how much essence you possess at the time, meaning you could get upgrades earlier if you played well or just cheesed the essence system.

Not going to talk about the mandatory female character segments as well as the few new big bosses (possibly inspired by GOW?) that were added.

The vanishing corpses and body parts is not just a thing in Sigma 2 but Razor's Edge as well. NGII generally kept all the evidence of your carnage on screen for much longer, lending it a very grindhouse flavour.

Truthfully I can't properly lay out all the differences, I don't know that much. Suffice to say that Sigma 2 would still be fun to play, but you owe it to yourself to at least try NGII on an Xbox Series console when you can. The experience is fundamentally different.

SkylineRKR

The resolution thing didn't even fly anymore once NG2 became BC for Xbox One. The thing even holds a steady 60 during the infamous staircase brawl for crying out loud. Sigma 2 dropped as well and had tearing, but the drops weren't as bad as NG2 on 360 and the resolution was a bit higher (which is no huge feat; massively reduced enemy count, bodies that disappear and all).

NG2 on modern Xbox consoles looks ridiculously good.

Its pretty much perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if this Sigma collection is going to be fucked up somehow. It wouldn't be the first remaster to do so.

mcz117chief

Amazing! Exactly what I wanted. I vastly prefer the Sigma versions to the originals. Can't wait to play Razor's Edge on PS4 and grind all the costumes again, it was so much fun but so incredibly hard. Hopefully there will be a few people available to help me online :)

Constant spam was just people crying. You have the tools to deal with it. The armadillo boss fight was the ultimate troll move and I loved it. Screw anyone who got salty over it.

Sigma 2 changed the entire core game mechanics with less enemies, more health for enemies, less gore, less dismemberment. NG2 was "Do I take more time to kill this mook by dismemberment (but possibly regret later when he crawls over and attacks me) or attack that more dangerous larger group over there/move to a more advantageous position?"

Also, more worthless dull characters added for titillation and those terribe Statue of Liberty boss fights.

Kimahri

Banned
So eh, why are people whining about no PS5 version? Isn't bc sufficient?

what kind of next gen features are you expecting from a bunch of old games?

SkylineRKR

Constant spam was just people crying. You have the tools to deal with it. The armadillo boss fight was the ultimate troll move and I loved it. Screw anyone who got salty over it.

Sigma 2 changed the entire core game mechanics with less enemies, more health for enemies, less gore, less dismemberment. NG2 was "Do I take more time to kill this mook by dismemberment (but possibly regret later when he crawls over and attacks me) or attack that more dangerous larger group over there/move to a more advantageous position?"

Also, more worthless dull characters added for titillation and those terribe Statue of Liberty boss fights.

I did absolutely hate that flying fish boss in chapter 3 in OG. But in Sigma 2 they nerfed this guy so much that he became useless. I hated the infinite arrows, I liked that you were out sometimes and had to find some. I think Sigma 2 also removed the explosive shurikens? Loved to use those. I didn't mind managing long range ammo. The underwater shit was another thing I didn't like in OG, but then in Sigma 2 they made it completely empty which isn't the way to go imo.

Starcheif

Maybe we will get a reboot soon of Ninja Gaiden that shows how the Dragon Ninja Clan started and follow Ryu's dad and Walter Smith leading up to the start of the NES version of Ninja Gaiden.

Top Bottom