• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection Announced

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I never said it's above criticism, if you'd actually read the other posts in this thread, you'd see I actually criticise the sigma games in general.
My comment was about you saying "this sucks because you can play the originals on xbox", which is completely worthless for someone who doesn't have that platform.

Or in other words, this collection isn't for you, or anyone else who had the delusional expectation that it would somehow include two games that are exclusive to xbox; that was never happening, this is the only scenario that could happen and it definitely has a point for plenty of people.
You know, if you are going to use quotes, you should make sure they actually resemble what the person said. Common sense, really.

But the misquote does reveal your miscomprehension of my post, which is helpful. Anyone with a brain realizes I wasn't implying that these games suck "because you can play the originals on xbox." The point is there is a standard that these should attempt to live up to, and have already lived up to for a long time. It's not healthy for a franchise to release inferior versions of it's games. It's also just a poor prospect for fans. See all the disappointed people in this thread? They want to play the best versions of these games, which is not a huge request for goodness sake. Even if it means making a few nip/tucks.

But hey, have fun playing these. Enjoy those Rachel levels and a majorly gimped NG2. Or just hope they don't leave a poor impression on newcomers.
I'm glad you're there to support such a shoddy release, because I'd love to play Ninja Gaiden 4.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This was the ONLY THING that pumped me up in the direct.

Then I learned we are actually getting some kind of lesser pansy version?

Hard pass on the entire frickin' show.

Reizo Ryuu

I wasn't implying that these games suck "because you can play the originals on xbox."

The end product is still disappointing. It's been years since a release in this franchise, and we are ankle-deep into next gen. It feels too little too late, especially when you can play a superior version of these games on Series S/X right now.

Sure you didn't.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

lachesis

Well that was basically an upgrade on the original.
NGB/NG2 are different to the sigma games and MS owns NG2.

Well, I do think Sigma are basically upgrade/port of those, somewhat similar to DQ XI and DQ XI DE.... but I guess one can argue how much of an upgrade they really are on any cases.

I'm more worried that MS may opt to hide NG2 and NGB from the marketplace, by siding with Techmo/Koei by removing the (superior - at least to me) originals to help the sales of the new compilation package. (To keep friendly relationship with the Japanese giant, for any future game releases) - even though MS may own NG2's publishing rights.

I know I'm over-reacting and chances of this happening is quite slim, but just a slight concern. (as I said, like 0.5% lol)

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sure you didn't.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+
Sorry, you're having a comprehension issue. I am trying to explain the nuance to you, but you've gotta stop with the obnoxious gifs, man. It's just you showing your ass and looking really upset over someone disagreeing with you.

Yeah, I pointed out that there are superior versions on xbox, but that is to illustrate the standard that these games are capable of and should be living up to. It's not about the fact that they are on xbox.

I've perfectly illustrated why I think this is a poor release in this day and age. If you are hung up on the xbox thing, you're lost in the woods.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This was the ONLY THING that pumped me up in the direct.

Then I learned we are actually getting some kind of lesser pansy version?

Hard pass on the entire frickin' show.

Sigma 2 is definitely the lesser pansy version.

Sigma 1 and Razor's Edge are only slightly worse (and better in some cases) and much better respectively.

Reizo Ryuu

but that is to illustrate the standard that these games are capable of and should be living up to.
This is the delusional expectation that they would release NGB or NG2 in this collection, the games are not moving from the xbox platform; if you want sigma to live up "to the standard of the games on xbox", you're basically saying they need to completely rework the sigma games, or in other words do full remakes; also delusional and never happening.

It literally doesn't matter that the originals are on xbox, because this is the only way people without that platform can play these games. You can only blame yourself for having unrealistic expectations of what this collection could ever be, and is clearly not for you or anyone who has access to the xbox platform.

Or buy us all xboxes so we can can expose ourselves to the only ones you have deemed worthy to be exposed to.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF

lachesis

MS is very well aware of the reputation NGB and NG2 have compared to the sigma games, they'll never stop selling them; just isn't a reality.

I hope you are correct for everyone's sake. :)

In the mean time, I just bought the OG NG2 for my Series X. A little expensive for 29.99 for 360 title - but I loved that 4k 60fps action. :D

I haven't bought the Razor's Edge - I have it on my Wii U, but hadn't played much. Perhaps I will get the Sigma collection - if it goes on a sale or sort later this year or next year.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is the delusional expectation that they would release NGB or NG2 in this collection, the games are not moving from the xbox platform; if you want sigma to live up "to the standard of the games on xbox", you're basically saying they need to completely rework the sigma games, or in other words do full remakes; also delusional and never happening.

It literally doesn't matter that the originals are on xbox, because this is the only way people without that platform can play these games. You can only blame yourself for having unrealistic expectations of what this collection could ever be, and is clearly not for you or anyone who has access to the xbox platform.

Or buy us all xboxes so we can can expose ourselves to the only ones you have deemed worthy to be exposed to.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF
Sorry you're so upset over this. To be honest, I'm interested in a discussion not a gif'y internet war. Maybe agree to disagree because I just expect a certain standard from this series.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
My thinking is that at this point, if they want to sell these games a third time over, they need to do some nip/tucks to make these games at least as good as versions you can play somewhere else (psst- Xbox) ;) and have been able to for nearly a decade.
It's a bare bone release. I just can't bring myself to be one of those people who are blinded by fanboyism. I want NG4 but not enough to pretend this isn't a weak release.

Last edited:
Sigma versions are used because they have chances of more people buying the game because you get to play as hot chics. Though original versions are a better experience gameplay wise I loved the Master and Ultimate ninja cop-op online missions in Sigma 2 and I hope they still have those available with online servers.

I feel people are overreacting saying the original versions of NG1 and NG2 are vastly, undeniably superior to the Sigma versions. The Sigma versions are still excellent games despite their changes.

Want to know why they chose the Sigma versions instead? Probably because it takes much less work porting the Sigma versions over instead of enhancing the XBox NG Black and even the original NG2 which had serious performance problems I’m assuming.

Reizo Ryuu

I hope they still have those available with online servers.
There's no MP in this collection:
*Online multiplayer is not available for the “TAG MISSIONS” in NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2.
* The "Clan Battle" for "Shadows of the World" in NINJA GAIDEN 3 Razor's Edge is not included. Online multiplayer is not available for “Ninja Trials”.

Want to know why they chose the Sigma versions instead? Probably because it takes much less work porting the Sigma versions over instead of enhancing the XBox NG Black and even the original NG2 which had serious performance problems I’m assuming.

NGB might still be exclusive, and MS owns NG2.

Last edited:
That totally makes sense for business. But I don't care about their bottomline. Half-assed remasters, as they currently look, are a hard pass for me.

Not a bad deal for anyone who is new to the franchise though.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've never played a Ninja Gaiden , from the comments im taking it this isnt good place to start?
Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally still worth playing here, despite having some pacing issues in this version.
Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma if you're curious, but it's a much lesser version of the original release.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've never played a Ninja Gaiden , from the comments im taking it this isnt good place to start?

If you have a PS4, PS5, Switch, or PC then this a great place to start. If you have an XBOX One/Series X then you have a unique opportunity to play the better versions instead.

Camreezie

Do you own an xbox? Then no, there are better options.
If you don't, this collection is fine.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally still worth playing here, despite having some pacing issues in this version.
Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma if you're curious, but it's a much lesser version of the original release.

If you have a PS4, PS5, Switch, or PC then this a great place to start. If you have an XBOX One/Series X then you have a unique opportunity to play the better versions instead.
I've got access to a PS5/Switch ,no xbox. Guess I'll be starting out with this , thanks dudes

smbu2000

Originally thought it would be the original NES games. After seeing it was the 3d games, was still excited until I saw Sigma. Pass.

NGS2 vs. NG2 on Master Ninja mode.

I feel people are overreacting saying the original versions of NG1 and NG2 are vastly, undeniably superior to the Sigma versions. The Sigma versions are still excellent games despite their changes.

Ninja Gaiden Black is already enhanced via BC on Xbox One/S (1080P) and Xbox One X (4k) both at 60fps.
NG2 runs at the same resolution 1120 x 585 on the original Xbox One/S, but can stay close to 60fps. The One X increases the resolution to 3360 x 1755 and runs at a solid 60fps.

Those are last gen. systems not the newer Series S/X.

I guess if you don’t have an Xbox then the Sigma versions might be okay.

stn

NGB is either my first or second favorite game of all time depending on the day, and I can say with confidence that Sigma 1 is a fine substitute if you don't have an XBox. Most of the things I dislike about Sigma compared to NGB are stylistic things, such as the removal of certain costumes, and the fact that they changed the final boss theme to a less epic track. Lots of people won't care about this stuff.

There's no MP in this collection:
*Online multiplayer is not available for the “TAG MISSIONS” in NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2.
* The "Clan Battle" for "Shadows of the World" in NINJA GAIDEN 3 Razor's Edge is not included. Online multiplayer is not available for “Ninja Trials”.

NGB might still be exclusive, and MS owns NG2.
I see. Didn’t know Microsoft still owns the original NG2.

synce

Was always going to be Sigma but it's better than nothing. The only question is how much will they censor or remove to get it approved on PS4. Rachel's fiend costume was completely censored in DOA6.

MayauMiao

I'm already worried about the PS4 version for the censorship. Not going to pre order until Tecmo comes clean with the censorship. Can't trust Steam version too as they are known to censor PC version.

ManaByte

Xbox will be able to play NGB, NG2, NG3, and the Sigma games.

Switch will be able to play the NES NG and the Sigma games.

lachesis

Phew, I just started a new game for OG NGB - and it was really kicking my butt.

I mean, at least in NG2 - you start out with some decent moves - but in OG NGB, you start with barely any combo. It's been so long since I completed original NGB, didn't realize how hard it was.
To be honest, I remember struggling quite a bit till I got Inazuma Drop, which I spammed for the life of me till the end game!

One of the gripes that I have about OG NGB - it's the right thumb stick that turns viewpoint into 1st person view automatically. Although the RT button resets the camera, I never realized how reliant I have become over they years on controlling camera with R thumbstick in general.

After getting my butt kicked (mostly... barely surivived) by those 3-4 horsemen in Hayabusa village - forget the timer, I was running up and down the walls just to survive their attacks - I switched to NG2 1st Tokyo stage... and oh boy. Do I feel like a bad ass with NG2! The graphics for this game (XSX) at 4x original + HDR + 60fps, it's a beautiful bloody mess. I hadn't realized how much faster pace (enemies don't block as well as NGB's) NG2 is, compared to NGB back to back. Different type of intensity, for sure.

I would LOVE to see a real NGB remaster with proper next gen gfx, with right analog thumbstick camera control. That 480p FMVs, I can practically count the jaggies! Also the hub layout of the game, really ties everything together well, compared to almost rail-road like progression of NG2 or any other action games. It's something that I sorely miss.

Edit: I realized that you can toggle the right control stick camera (although not perfect...? inverted?) by googling. Funny that after all these years, I never knew!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Xbox will be able to play NGB, NG2, NG3, and the Sigma games.

Switch will be able to play the NES NG and the Sigma games.
It’s too bad MS didn’t make the original NG release b/c cuz then Xbox could play the NES and Coin op games on top of all the other ones.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like the only one in the world that actually prefers the sigma versions

I’ll pass on this though as I still have all of these for ps3.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I just played Black on Series S and beat the first 2 chapters.

Man its good. Even the graphics, they're sharp, framerate is steady, lighting is okay and the floor even reflects. I fired up NG2 right after (I had a save at chapter 6 or so), and its clearly prettier in terms of textures, lighting, effects, animations but NGB OG Xbox version is still a looker as well. Really if you have an Xbox, just get these. I can't stress it enough. I don't see how Sigma remastered is going to be better. NG2 BC version has a locked 60fps and HDR. Sigma collection is going to be released for last-gen right? I wouldn't be surprised if the game has IQ and framerate issues, something NG2 BC actually doesn't have. And this is Koei so I wouldn't rule out a full 60 bucks price tag either.

Razor's Edge could be a reason to get it. But to be honest I absolutely hate that game. I bought on sale way back on PS3. The game was just pissing me off.

peronmls

This reminds me of the Onimusha Warlords remaster. They should have based it off the xbox "genma" version that had a new boss, a new gameplay mechanic, new areas to explore etc. Doesnt make sense what devs are doing when porting to PC.

Tell me neogaf.

Why black is awesome?
One of the top 10 best games ever made. A genuinely original combat system that hasn't been replicated, with tons of depth and nuance like you wouldn't believe. The moveset has the depth of some fighting games, in addition to unique platforming and traversal. Every additional difficulty level is worth playing, as they don't just increase HP of enemies and increase number of enemies, they genuinely put tons of work into increasing the difficulty and complexity of the enemy AI at each stage of difficulty, and added entirely new enemy types you don't fight on lower difficulties. The more you play it, the more you learn. I've beaten it once a year for almost 20 years now, and probably played it 50x back in the day all the way through, in addition to tons of worthwhile challenge missions added in Black. The only game that surpasses it in the action combat genre is Ninja Gaiden 2 (360 version) which is slightly less polished than Black, but has a vastly superior combat system and increased gameplay speed.

sn0man

So eh, why are people whining about no PS5 version? Isn't bc sufficient?

what kind of next gen features are you expecting from a bunch of old games?
It really could be okay if they offer an unlocked frame rate at 4K it might basically be ready for 60fps on PS5. They better also include a 1440/1080 with 60fps if that’s the plan though or the PS4 audience would suffer from 4K and an unstable frame rate.

I’d argue for maximum impact on PS4/5 and preservation capability that should be the norm. Make one disc that has settings in the menus to tailor for each setting.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I never care enough to finish Razor's Edge, but I do go back and play the first few levels every few years. They are actually pretty fun and there is a visceral feeling to the combat. I'm pretty sure the encounter design and boss encounters are typically what wear me out a few hours in though.

Top Bottom