• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection - Character Showcase

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection brings Ryu Hayabusa and four iconic female characters together in an epic experience packed with thrilling battles. Ayane, Rachel, Momiji, and Kasumi assist Hayabusa in some of his most vigorous fights.

- Use Ayane's Mugen Tenshin Ninjitsu from the Hajinmon sect to obliterate enemies with her Fuma Kodachi (two short swords).

- Slam fiends around with Rachel's War Hammer.

- Cut down spider ninja with Momiji's Heavenly Dragon Naginata.

- Eliminate the Lords Of Alchemy with Ayane's half-sister, Kasumi and her Shrouded Moon (Wakizashi blade).

Or simply unleash Ryu Hayabusa and the many different weapons in his arsenal. The skilled ninja has mastered all of them and his enemies will not know what hit them!

*Female characters appear in this collection as they did in the original version of the games.*

Blood Borne

Such a shame Sigma 2 still has that nasty purple mist, I thought they’ll use the Vita version. Nevertheless, it’s still Ninja Gaiden, a timeless classic.

Kuranghi

Ninja Gaiden games had crystal clear graphics, what's up with this bloom mess? is it Razor's Edge?

Not just that, what the fuck is going on with the gamma, its like they are running the wrong RGB range, ffs why is this happening with every game recently.

I know this isnt the game and just an overlay for the video but what the fuck is this image?:

1RyJoHn.jpg

One graphic is blown out and the other is crushed, at least this probably means its just the video and not the actual output from the game but what the hell, bloody awful.

I'm unnecessarily angry about this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Such a shame Sigma 2 still has that nasty purple mist, I thought they’ll use the Vita version. Nevertheless, it’s still Ninja Gaiden, a timeless classic.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the Vita version
Sigma 2 is PS3
not sure about Razors Edge, probably PS3 too
Why they used Sigma Plus is beyond me, the difference in texture quality is jarring

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ryu Hayabusa makes his long-awaited return and though it isn't in a new game, Ninja Gaiden Master Collection does see the shinobi's brutal exploits collected in remastered form.

With a release on June 10th for PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC, let's take a look at 14 things you should know before picking it up.

Unk Adams

Banned
I'll stick with Black and 2 on Xbox. But if you don't have that option, this might be a decent buy. Otherwise i'd stay away.
I Include Sigma 1 in my favorites personally, it don't replace Black but I love it.
I enjoyed all of the versions. Of course I played the originals first but it was great having a different director give us his version of the games instead of it just being another HD remaster. It looks like I'll have to import this to get it physically, however as I don't see any announcement for a NA physical version as of now.

Orta

Banned
Just how tough are these games? Am reading they are brutal, almost unfairly hard. I'm not interested in 'get good' answers, is it constant death, pixel perfect precision and game over screens every ten minutes?

Basically, are these games you can play through in a moderately relaxing manner or do you have to put hours upon hours into them before you are even at novice level?

Unk Adams

Banned
Just how tough are these games? Am reading they are brutal, almost unfairly hard. I'm not interested in 'get good' answers, is it constant death, pixel perfect precision and game over screens every ten minutes?

Basically, are these games you can play through in a moderately relaxing manner or do you have to put hours upon hours into them before you are even at novice level?
You will need skill to play them and learning how the mechanics work. They're not your average, cinematic action games that you can just leisurely run through. If you're interested in these style of games but don't want the difficulty then your best option is actually Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on the DS. It has similar gameplay but it's easier and simplified.

TheMan

The answer probably depends on how good you are at games in general. But yes they were notoriously difficult in their day, with certain bosses in particular being really tough. For most, I would say this is a game that will require focused attention and practice.

Last edited:

Miles708

You have to focus and be in the mood to commit 100% to the game's rules and timing. Playing it relaxed is, honestly, a waste of time, as you'll just end up dying and repeating the same sections indefinitely.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

I'm not sure about all the games as I have only tried 2 of them, but what I played featured terrible camera angles and a brutal save system. I think you have to have some nostalgia to enjoy it.

It also has some of the dumbest campiest narratives I have ever seen. Still, the combat is very crunchy and satisfying, it plays great. It's for a certain audience that craves hardcore combat with precision and timing, but it's extremely unfriendly for beginners.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Not for me then, from the sound of things!
I suck at challenging games but I loved NG so much that I slogged through it. While it is tough, you can stack up on a lot of health and just brute force your way past the game.

This game is still much easier than the Souls franchise and once you kill the enemies, they are dead after you save. So if you kill everything on that level and then save aftewards. Load up that saved game and you die from something far into the level, the enemies will not respawn.

Orta

Banned
If its cheap I might take a punt. I'm drifting towards shorter more casual friendly games in my near middle age but sometimes I do get stuck into an old school game and surprise myself that I'm not completely finished as a gamer just yet :messenger_savoring:

This trilogy looks ridiculously fun.

Miles708

If its cheap I might take a punt. I'm drifting towards shorter more casual friendly games in my near middle age but sometimes I do get stuck into an old school game and surprise myself that I'm not completely finished as a gamer just yet :messenger_savoring:

If you're ever in the mood for something like this, Ninja gaiden 1 and 2 are, even now , the best action games in the entire market.

Orta

Banned
I think I might actually have one of them for my xbox. Did one of the games begin with your character running down the outside of a sky scraper at night or something like that?

Last edited:

Miles708

I think I might actually have one of them for my xbox. Did one of the games begin with your character running down the outside of a sky scraper at night or something like that?
Ninja Gaiden 2 started in a city at night and there were skyscrapers :messenger_grinning_smiling: so i'ts most likely that one.

If I rememeber correctly, though, I think these versions should include also an easier difficulty setting. I don't know how much easier it is, but it's something you might want to keep in consideration

Kamina

Golden Boy
NG2 has some of that nonsense
Gotta love it

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Your initial reaction will be thinking that it is unfair. But in reality it is fair but difficult. The big difference is whether you learn and use all the mechanics in the game. The separation line for people is whether they learn or give up before then. I wish I could teach a course on how the game works and how to take on certain fights. Your main weapon is more knowledge then just practice.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Found it! Tecmo, 2004. This is the first part of the trilogy, yes?

IMG-20210516-212255-1.jpg
Yes buttttt, it was re-released as Ninja Gaiden Black. Initially the game didn't even have a full 3d camera. It was just centered behind the player when you hit trigger. The version you have will feel difficult to play because of that one detail that they fixed in NG Black. Just an FYI. But the game is a masterpiece and got many 10/10s when it came out.

Miles708

Yes buttttt, it was re-released as Ninja Gaiden Black. Initially the game didn't even have a full 3d camera. It was just centered behind the player when you hit trigger. The version you have will feel difficult to play because of that one detail that they fixed in NG Black. Just an FYI. But the game is a masterpiece and got many 10/10s when it came out.

To be honest I prefer the original one. You don't have time to rotate the camera anyway (and resetting it with R2 becomes a move by itself), but the original had a subtle but genious way to hint you the position of off-screen enemies, by decentering the camera in the direction of them. This got lost with 3D camera in the original, and I've always felt the trade-off wasn't worth it.

200.gif

I guess part 1 did... at times.

Hmmm that's a weird take. Did you play it on Xbox, or Xbox 360? It's just perfect there.

Skifi28

I've only played the original back then and didn't even finish it, I thought it was hard as balls as a teenager. This collections really makes me want to go back and take my revenge.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm that's a weird take. Did you play it on Xbox, or Xbox 360? It's just perfect there.
Yea, part 1 and 2 on their original consoles.

1 had some environments and action scenes that were kind of blurry/bloomy and 2 had too much on the screen at times along with framerate drops to an insane degree. The cleanups done for the BC versions helped both.

I'm not saying this version is better. I'm just saying the older ones weren't necessarily the cleanest. Razor's Edge is the messiest visually, regardless.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Why do the textures look so muddy and bad?
Because the resolution is upscaled but the textures are the same resolution of the original games. Funny enough, the first two games look better upscaled than the last one because itagaki was ahead of his time.

Game over screens every 10 minutes is expert level game play.

MMaRsu

Banned

The sigma games are noob friendly

Top Bottom