• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection - Character Showcase

GrayFoxPL

judge for yourself

Where are all the enemies? Oh right they are removed 😂

the vampire diaries eye roll GIF

People always try to downplay this but its all true.
Noob friendly? Does that include the Master Ninja difficulty where there are one hit deaths included in NG2 as well? They aren’t insanely hard on the regular difficulties like Normal or even Hard imo, but Master Ninja is crazy hard.

Last edited:
Noob friendly? Does that include the Master Ninja difficulty where there are one hit deaths included in NG2 as well? They aren’t insanely hard on the regular difficulties like Normal or even Hard imo, but Master Ninja is crazy hard.
Master Ninja is still hard, but it's just a totally different mindset. Fighting less enemies with more health, I found myself playing a safer "turtle guard" style that was less risk averse since I had to Izuna Drop some enemies 3x without taking any damage. In contrast, the originals just have so many enemies to deal with and the entire obliteration technique system was designed to help you cut your way through people rapidly, and also increase the difficulty in seeing which enemies are missing a limb and may self-destruct when they blend in with large crowds of enemies. It pushed me to constantly move and play faster and more aggressively, with more mobility.

If all you can play is Sigma, play it. It's still a great game. But the originals are definitely better.

I played both. Beat the game 2x. Any game that has a bad-ass katana wielding hero I'm all over it!(y)
Lol, I know you loved the Japanese setting in Ghost of Tsushima (from your thread) but I had no idea you're basically a weeb like many of us :D

Did you play Metal Gear Rising as well?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I wish I could support this release and the Ninja Gaiden franchise, but it's no good. I think I'll finally buy Ninja Gaiden 2 digitally on Xbox this month though. Hopefully word of my purchase reaches Team Ninja and they greenlight a sequel immediately.

Miles708

I wish I could support this release and the Ninja Gaiden franchise, but it's no good. I think I'll finally buy Ninja Gaiden 2 digitally on Xbox this month though. Hopefully word of my purchase reaches Team Ninja and they greenlight a sequel immediately.

They can't get a collection right and you're asking them for a sequel?
I'd prefer them to go witg something new like they did with nioh. I don't trust them with this.

Last edited:

C4MP3R

Neo Member
I'm still on the fence with this I guess I missed the boat back on the day is it worth playing it today ?..

fart town usa

Gold Member
Keep your expectations in check for NG3: RE. I recently bought it on the Wii U, figured it was the best version(?). I'm not overly familiar with the 3D NG games and man, NG3: RE is rough, like really rough. I'm sure part of the problem is me but considering the high regard for NG 1 & 2, NG3 seems like it's just a flawed game regardless of the changes that RE brought to it.

Miles708

Keep your expectations in check for NG3: RE. I recently bought it on the Wii U, figured it was the best version(?). I'm not overly familiar with the 3D NG games and man, NG3: RE is rough, like really rough. I'm sure part of the problem is me but considering the high regard for NG 1 & 2, NG3 seems like it's just a flawed game regardless of the changes that RE brought to it.
NG3 is the black sheep of the series for a reason.

fart town usa

Gold Member
NG3 is the black sheep of the series for a reason.
Yea, funny too cause I also bought Devil's Third a few months back and honestly, Devil's Third is much more enjoyable as a game than what I've experienced in NG3 thus far. They play pretty different, but interesting all the same considering the overlap.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
People always try to downplay this but its all true.
People downplay it because the original wasn't the most optimized, especially in terms of frame rate. Both original versions have problems. The best thing to happen to the 360 original was the BC upgrade for XBO, but let's not sit here and pretend to say that the original 360 version was perfectly made. Same way you don't see people here constantly defending Ninja Gaiden(original) over Ninja Gaiden Black.

Miles708

Yea, funny too cause I also bought Devil's Third a few months back and honestly, Devil's Third is much more enjoyable as a game than what I've experienced in NG3 thus far. They play pretty different, but interesting all the same considering the overlap.

I never had the chance to play Devil's Third, but you may find interesting that both DT and the first 2 Ninja Gaiden games are developed by Tomonobu Itagaki, the "big head" of Team Ninja, before his departure over Tecmo not paying him.
He has now his own team, god knows what he's up to.

Ninja Gaiden 3, on the other hand, was the first project of his successor (and still the helm of current Team Ninja) and it was, well, a disaster. Dead or Alive got destroyed in the process, too.
Only recently Team Ninja got back on track with Nioh.

People downplay it because the original wasn't the most optimized, especially in terms of frame rate. Both original versions have problems. The best thing to happen to the 360 original was the BC upgrade for XBO, but let's not sit here and pretend to say that the original 360 version was perfectly made. Same way you don't see people here constantly defending Ninja Gaiden(original) over Ninja Gaiden Black.
I will defend Ninja Gaiden original over Black 'till my last breath! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

The reason those are not original games is:

Fumihiko Yasuda: We did consider it, but the data we have left from Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 are in various pieces to the point that we were unable to salvage them. However, when we worked on Sigma and Sigma 2, we went and collected as much of that data as possible and organized it. And since we could utilize this data, that’s why we chose the Sigma games. Also, the latest version of the numbered titles are the most polished, and also have a lot of additional costumes and modes, so that is why we chose these three titles.

You know this collection took them year and half to make? This collection is beacon from the developers. This isn't just about Ryu coming back in NG4. This is about the character action game survival.

This is the last time we see the black Ninja slicing people and taking heads with twitch precision at all time in 60fps. I hope the controlers WILL break with this game.

art GIF by haydiroket (Mert Keskin)

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence with this I guess I missed the boat back on the day is it worth playing it today ?..
If you own an Xbox series console then definitely get your hands on NGB, NGII and NGRE, should be real cheap digitally too.

And yes the NG series is very, very worth playing even now.

Wii U version has quite a lot of slowdown due to forced Vsync. It's also the 'prototypical' version which they added on to and then released on PS360 (very typical Koei Tecmo strategy).

While NGRE did go some way to fix the shit burger that was NG3, the Wii U version is also the least recommended.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I played only the NES trilogy so I am looking forward to this games on PC. But... If I love souls games, DMC and Bayonetta but HATE sekiro... will I like these games?

I just hate parry mechanics in games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes. The way this game plays is a staple in the world of action games. You have the top tier action games and Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was a groundbreaking game. There was Devil May Cry, God of War and a bunch of imitators. Ninja Gaiden opened up the door for action games and it was a one of a kind experience on the original Xbox. You’ll see it in the boss battles and random enemy encounters. You can have your ass handed to you by a regular enemy just because you weren’t defending yourself. Now a days it feels easy compared to other games. By now it may be way too easy, but back then there wasn’t anything like it on Xbox. It stood up there with Devil May Cry and God of War.

I played only the NES trilogy so I am looking forward to this games on PC. But... If I love souls games, DMC and Bayonetta but HATE sekiro... will I like these games?

Absolutely. Parrying in NG is like attacking while blocking and you can do a quick evade/slash/kick and the enemy goes into the air into a combo. It’s more of a reversal parry or a dash out of the way.

I like to do the roll, jump command while I’m running around. It makes me feel like a real ninja.

Last edited:

NG's defense is based around blocking so I'd guess you won't hate it.

Top Bottom