• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection will require a gamepad, won’t support keyboard & mouse

Fuz

Banned
A keyboard is always better than a gamepad. Faster, more precise. Especially in 3D enviroments. Gamepads strong point is the comfiness of playing laying down on your sofa.

*Nightwing

The screenshots on the psn page are VITA quality.

ERA says its Ninja Gaiden Sigma VITA->Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 PS3(without the blood)->NG Razors Edge
Vita-based remasters is just pure speculation based on screenshot, which was started on resetera. Koei said that remasters based on PS3 versions but will also include game modes from vita ports.
Yup, including vita mode, but based on ps3 versions. Also article shows screenshot in question is an early switch version... still not gonna be as good as any of them on BC upscalled

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Ninja Gaiden using a keyboard and mouse is for peasants, the real pros play it using Guitar Hero plastic guitars.

...no, seriously, wtf plays these games with k&m?

*Nightwing

Hardcore fans play NG Black on this:
dBzcs5x.jpg

PC master race my ass

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yup, including vita mode, but based on ps3 versions. Also article shows screenshot in question is an early switch version... still not gonna be as good as any of them on BC upscalled
I hope thats the case, but you can't blame anybody for the confusion, the screenshots they sent to promote the PS4 version look ugly and similar to VITA 🤭

It would be very bad even for Switch! i hope they update them.

Astral Dog

Why did they even bother? Doesn't seem like they even give a fuck. Is there really a frothing demand for Sigma?
Well. Im interested in playing portable Ninja Gaiden and a NG4 would be very cool because i didn’t like Ni Oh 🤭

But yeah, its like they got peanuts for budget 🥜 everything about this release is barebones

Siliconera's recent interview (link) with the collection's Producer featured the following exchange:

What challenges are you facing in porting the game to the different systems? How are you overcoming those challenges?

Yasuda: Actually, each of the games in the collection were designed without giving much thought to being remastered, so we had a hard time, therefore we worked on NG3:RE, Sigma 2, then Sigma, going in reverse order. Also, the program structure of the PS Vita games- Sigma 2 Plus and Sigma Plus – were well organized, so we were able to use that source code effectively. Also, we’ve resolved the Sigma Plus and Sigma 2 Plus issues of the framerate drops and difficulty of inputting certain commands!

When paired with the comment given to Eurogamer about the games being "based on the PS3 version in quality," I'm left to think the two Sigma titles are the Vita versions, just with some amount of injected PS3 visual elements. This would make further sense, since it's probably easier substituting graphical assets than adding Vita modes to the PS3 code.

I don't currently see myself buying this collection, especially if it remains digital-only in the West, but I'm looking forward to the usual sites hopefully doing breakdowns of what Koei Tecmo Frankensteined together for the two Sigma titles.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I wanna see someone play this with one of those KB/Mouse adapters for Xbox that made the system think it was a gamepad.

Schmick

I get annoyed with my friend who always uses a keyboard and mouse no matter the game I.e. Wreckfest, Rocket League. There are games that should be played with controller.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
ComicBook.com: The announcement for the Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection said it’d include "most of the previously released game modes and DLC costumes." Can you clarify what content, exactly, is not included in this Master Collection and why that content was cut?

Fumihiko Yasuda:
Online multiplayer is not included. Specifically, the online co-op portion of the Tag Missions in NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2, and all of the Clan Battles in Shadows of the World in NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge. Also, online multiplayer in Ninja Trials is not included.

In order to perfectly replicate the online system used from the past, not only would it require a great deal of time and money, it would also place limitations on the platforms we could release it on. And given that dilemma we decided to increase the number of platforms we would release the collection on in order to reach as many players as possible rather than pursue the multiplayer feature. Nevertheless, a ranking system for competitive scoring has been implemented, and of course our signature Ninja Gaiden action can still be enjoyed to the fullest in classic single player mode.

highrider

Banned
Well I purchased this on Xbox one, if you’re just looking for the campaigns and aren’t a hardcore master ninja or black purist you’ll enjoy this collection. I’m in the minority I’m sure but I thought the Sigma versions were more enjoyable for me as someone who loves the gameplay and world, but isn’t ever going to be a great player like guys I see online.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is sort of a low blow, because most will agree that playing this game is far better suited to a controller. At the same time, the list of missing features keeps growing. It's a poor collection and the series deserves much more.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well I purchased this on Xbox one, if you’re just looking for the campaigns and aren’t a hardcore master ninja or black purist you’ll enjoy this collection. I’m in the minority I’m sure but I thought the Sigma versions were more enjoyable for me as someone who loves the gameplay and world, but isn’t ever going to be a great player like guys I see online.

I'm a "hardcore master ninja" who can beat Black on MN any day of the week & I enjoy Sigma too. Its a fine version of the game & I even prefer some of its levels to Black. Specifically the underwater chapter which is waaaay better in Sigma.

The controller news is whatever. I don't know how anyone can use keyboard for games specificially designed with controllers in mind.

Based on the Vita versions of all things though? Sigma's bad enough but this may be too much. I'd rather wait for 360 emulation to catch up.
In fairness I recently played Disco Elysium with a controller- a game designed with a mouse in mind.

Top Bottom