• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja moves to YouTube

Grinchy

Banned
Interesting. So they were the highest bidder (maybe). Now let's see what happens with Shroud. Maybe no one was offering anything and he goes back to Twitch without any exclusivity.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I guess we will see Dr. Disrepect and Shroud end up here too eventually. Wonder how long his numbers will hold out or if it is just temporary due to the press release.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
giphy.gif

Deanington

Can Discord work as a streaming platform on top of what it already does? If so I am surprised its not a thing. I think Discord could really blow up if it was seen as a more serious streaming platform.

Caffeine

Mahomes in the NFL just got a record 10-year, $503M deal. But im sure he'll work for free after that, right?
I didnt say he would work for free he could just setup direct donations to keep some money flowing in. also congrats to Mahomes. Chiefs gonna be slaying for awhile.

Rikkori

114 thousand viewers already and almost 1k in donations, at least the ones I see showing up.

And people complain about simps giving money to women.

People throw away 500 bucks or more on MILLIONAIRES.
Why would people donate money to this guy knowing he’s a millionaire? 🤔

"For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. "

Matty 13:12

Bragr

Banned
It's so weird, Mixer bought him when he dipped in numbers, it's like they thought they bought the 150k viewers Ninja, but they bought the 30k viewers Ninja.

Why would people donate money to this guy knowing he’s a millionaire? 🤔

I've been asking myself the same thing after reading about the deals the top dudes sign. And yet donations and monthly subs is still the main thing you hear on the streams.
'Thank You for the six month sub!'

I'm honestly really happy and hope to see all the big streamers end up on YouTube. Fuck the shithole that Twitch has become. Worst company in the tech and gaming industry right now by far.

I have never seen a Ninja stream. What's the appeal? Is he really good? Is he funny?

check his youtube channel I think his skill is worth a watch, check out his team ups with DrDisrespect beyond that he is just another guy that has a huge following the reasons for that never really makes sense. Kim West is a billionaire or something for doing much less.

Haha nope, it's not like I have a legitimate channel, I just upload single player gameplay with no commentary or multiplayer stuff.

ah yeah I've done the same for a while, I would not even know how to set up the talky talky show your face box anyway

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have never seen a Ninja stream. What's the appeal? Is he really good? Is he funny?

In the early days of Chapter 1 of Fortnite, no other streamer even came close. It was definitely about skill. If you wanted to see the craziest play, and even learn things, you watched Ninja.

These days... a lot of people caught up, and there just isn’t room, two years in, for someone to be miles ahead like that anymore. Today it’s down to momentum and Ninja being a likable enough personality (if utterly moronic at times).

imsosleepy

I checked Ninjas numbers on his youtube channel and he realy does not have an insane amount of views over there. How was it on mixer, how many people still watched him play?

Grinchy

Banned
In the early days of Chapter 1 of Fortnite, no other streamer even came close. It was definitely about skill. If you wanted to see the craziest play, and even learn things, you watched Ninja.

These days... a lot of people caught up, and there just isn’t room, two years in, for someone to be miles ahead like that anymore. Today it’s down to momentum and Ninja being a likable enough personality (if utterly moronic at times).
Yeah he absolutely shredded people when I first tried watching him back when Fortnite was sort of new-ish. So did Mr Grimmz. I'd watch him go solo into quads and get 30 kills and a win. It was insane.

But for me, Ninja as a personality just doesn't work. I can't stand the guy. I do like the business stuff around all of this, though. Watching random game streamers turn themselves into brands with 8-figure contracts is fascinating.

DogofWar

You mean to tell me 130 000 people are watching this guy play video games instead of playing themselves?

I mean, I am still stuck in the whole argument that video game has turned mankind a bit lazier, since we get our satisfcation and sense of achievment without getting up from our seats. And now people watch others play video games instead? On this scale?!

I mean I watch youtube videos from time to time and occasionally some tournament if there is a game I enjoy but 130 000?! That's insane fucking numbers. How I woe for the future generations...

-Arcadia-

Banned
You mean to tell me 130 000 people are watching this guy play video games instead of playing themselves?

I mean, I am still stuck in the whole argument that video game has turned mankind a bit lazier, since we get our satisfcation and sense of achievment without getting up from our seats. And now people watch others play video games instead? On this scale?!

I mean I watch youtube videos from time to time and occasionally some tournament if there is a game I enjoy but 130 000?! That's insane fucking numbers. How I woe for the future generations...

A linear old Zelda game or something, sure.

But I don’t always feel like playing competitive games personally. Maybe I’m tired, maybe I’m just not in the mood. That’s when watching someone else play can be fun. Not to mention that it’s interesting to see how someone else plays, the things you can learn, etc.

Some of that applies to open world games with a lot of decision making too. I love playing Skyrim, but watching a really fun personality make their way through the game, and make a bunch of totally different choices than me, would be a good time too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I cannot understand it. He is not entertaining at all, plays shitty games, he is amillionare and people donate to him... so these are not kids. He is not even a pretty lady.

DogofWar

A linear old Zelda game or something, sure.

But I don’t always feel like playing competitive games personally. Maybe I’m tired, maybe I’m just not in the mood. That’s when watching someone else play can be fun. Not to mention that it’s interesting to see how someone else plays, the things you can learn, etc.

Some of that applies to open world games with a lot of decision making too. I love playing Skyrim, but watching a really fun personality make their way through the game, and make a bunch of totally different choices than me, would be a good time too.

I mean I have also watched let's plays and streams when, as you put it, I am too tired. As in, when I am sick or something. If I don't want to play video games I do something else. I just don't get the culture behind it is all. The few times I have visited crowded Twitch channels, there are 100 comments every 5 seconds so you can't chat. People donate thousands of dollars and for what? I can understand tipping a few bucks because someone entertains you, but I remember this one Metal Gear Solid stream when someone seriously donated 1500 $. I am still in chock and this was years ago. I guess I am just getting old.

Top Bottom