• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja switches from Twitch to Mixer

Now we get to see if fans will move platforms for personalities or not. And oh yeah, he either got paid mightily or has a sweetheart of a revenue-sharing clause.

FatboyTim

giphy.gif

Enjay

Banned
Anything that helps competition is good to me. Even this. Especially with twitch being so selective.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
mixer is offering free subs on ninja on mixer.
i really don't care but to spite twitch i am in XD

Helios

Good. Twitch has been sitting too comfortably as the main streaming service. Ninja alone is probably not enough to scare them but a lot of other streamers have also gotten tired of Twitch's bullshit.

Also how in the hell did this thread devolve into console warring 5 replies in? :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

DonF

Welp, Twitch is not happy - they've removed all his twitch account perks, his channels emoticons, no more subscribe button. So it seems they've actively nuked his account from orbit, rather than just leaving it inactive. I wonder what happens to folks who had subscribed and had time remaining, refunding perhaps?

Guess they didnt know this was going to happen.
twitch acts like a kid, its unbelievable its actually a big company. The other day I was listening the h3 podcast and the host said that all his privileges also got removed once they moved the podcast to youtube. so fucking petty.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I will never understand the cucks who choose to tell everyone that they don't watch streamers every time a discussion about streaming comes up.

it's like the people who insist on telling everyone that they cut the cord and no longer pay for cable tv or the people who go out of their way to say they don't use facebook or other forms of social media. It is an attempt to sound like some part of counterculture or on some higher intelligence plane but just comes across as a really lame thing to brag about.

Barakov

Gold Member
This is win-win for Ninja. He gets a load of cash and a giant spotlight on him when streams on Mixer. Even if he and his stream falls into obscurity he can retire comfortably. There are no downsides for this deal.

I was excited thinking an actual Ninja was streaming. But it was just this dude that plays zoomer games I don't care about.
I suspect that he is planning on getting back into the Halo scene once Infinite comes out. It may be that MS wants him to rep the game on Mixer. I'm deep in conspiracy land for sure, but curious nonetheless.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect that he is planning on getting back into the Halo scene once Infinite comes out. It may be that MS wants him to rep the game on Mixer. I'm deep in conspiracy land for sure, but curious nonetheless.
If MS is going to pay him to use their service you bet your ass he is going to playing MS games.

Like Age of Empire 4

McCheese

First time hearing about Mixer.

Ah ok, let me fill you in.

Remember when everybody hated Flash and wanted it to die, then tone-deaf Microsoft came along with fucking Silverlight? it's pretty much that but with videogame streaming. They've turned up late to the pool party again, and shat in the water almost immediately.

It's a streaming service that none of the other platforms even want to have an app for, so straight away that's a huge chunk of the Twitch audience they will never be able to reach. To try and make up for this Microsoft are constantly throwing money at it with free subscriptions and rewards just for turning up, and even then the only people who turn up are folks who probably used bing and ended up on the wrong site.

You could argue it's the best streaming service for watching Microsofts blockbuster games, due to the rewards and xbox live integration... if it wasn't for the fact they don't have any blockbuster games. They probably sabotaged the one possible blockbuster they did have, Sea of Thieves, by pushing it out early to help promote the new Mixer branding (as they didn't make it, they just purchased another service and renamed it).

Last edited:
Ah ok, let me fill you in.

Remember when everybody hated Flash and wanted it to die, then tone-deaf Microsoft came along with fucking Silverlight? it's pretty much that but with videogame streaming. They've turned up late to the pool party again, and shat in the water almost immediately.

It's a streaming service that none of the other platforms even want to have an app for, so straight away that's a huge chunk of the Twitch audience they will never be able to reach. To try and make up for this Microsoft are constantly throwing money at it with free subscriptions and rewards just for turning up, and even then the only people who turn up are folks who probably used bing and ended up on the wrong site.

You could argue it's the best streaming service for watching Microsofts blockbuster games due to the rewards and xbox live integration if it wasn't for the fact they don't have any blockbuster games. They probably sabotaged the one possible blockbuster they did have (Sea of Theives) by pushing it out early to help promote the new Mixer brand (as they didn't make it, they just purchased another service and renamed it).
You may be right, but Mixer is a steaming service that works quite well actually. We will see how that pans out long term and into next gen though.
Used Mixer for the first time this E3 and it was better than Twitch and Youtube.
Agreed.

Dunki

Just watched the VOd from Cohhcarnage. For everyone who does not know him. He basically has very passionate 10-15k Users every day when he streams. Today he told on his stream that even he got millions offer. If he got a 7 digit offer already. I can not imagine how much Ninja will get. Easily 8 maybe even 9 digits.

Ninja moves viewers. Last time he streamed charity on Youtue his viewer count was at 1 Million.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Don't like Twitch and don't really watch streams, but Mixer is a way better service. Is SoT still popular to stream? Hopefully they can guide the rest over making big numbers.

It's a good angle to take for advertising your product to, X popular streamer only playing on your console exclusively or service of choice while getting viewed by millions live.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
He hasn't even streamed yet and the chat on his channel is crazy. I'm definitely going to check it out when he goes live.

I do wonder how Mixer is going to be able to hold up the first day. I checked out the MS E3 conference on Mixer and I got the spinning wheel so much that I had to switch over to Youtube.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Absolute genius move by Ninja. There is no better way to transition out of the volitile realm of streaming from his level of popularity while making connections and expanding career options. I had been wondering what the hell he was going to do about his obvious predicament and this is so perfect.

lucius

Mixer quality is never as consistent as Twitch, I am only a viewer and my internet might not be great but its enough to watch streams 1080p.

Kenpachii

Welp, Twitch is not happy - they've removed all his twitch account perks, his channels emoticons, no more subscribe button. So it seems they've actively nuked his account from orbit, rather than just leaving it inactive. I wonder what happens to folks who had subscribed and had time remaining, refunding perhaps?

Guess they didnt know this was going to happen.

Pretty sure its in there tos, that you cant stream as partner on other platforms etc = ban. So his account not being perm banned is actually light effort.

Also him ditching twitch isn't that weird really if you think about his income and he started to decline hard on twitch in the last year.

The money he made on twitch:

Subscribers + donations:

He probably gets about with 52k subs, 140 higher tier subs and 105 top tier subs about 400k income on that a month, his donations sit probably around the 200k, which probably puts him in the area of the 500-600k a month which equals about 7 million a year.

Sponsorship:

Then he has a ton of sponsors like red bull, budweiser, uber eats, psd underwear which yield him 3,5 million a year extra with it.

So i would say he banks in a year around the ~10 million from twitch.

But that's just twitch, he also got youtube going on which he banks in about 500k a month which also adds another 7 million towards the mix, ad with it merchandise he also sells which probably also gives him a mil extra with it.

So even if twitch falls off completely he still makes absolute bank and with his twitch declining lately, a switch brings more attention towards him again which he needed, still gets all his sponsors with him most likely and gets probably a hefty bag of money from microsoft.

I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped 20-40 million on him straight out.

This guy is moving up towards a billionaire at the end of his career if he keeps up.

Last edited:

Garnox

I don’t have a horse in this race in the slightest, but after viewing some of ItsAGundam’s vids on how Twitch operates, I kind of want Twitch to feel the heat from this.

Now if only someone can challenge Disney’s ever-growing strangle hold on...well the world at this point.

Orpheum

Twitch needs some serious competition so i support this even though i've never watched a stream of him in my life. Youtube next please

Last edited:

El Sabroso

Used Mixer for the first time this E3 and it was better than Twitch and Youtube.

is pretty good, and is the fastest, the streaming has the lowest latency in the market, gives me hope for XCloud since MS is behind this as well

Oh, I totally forgot that Ninja started as a Halo pro.

Taking bets on Microsoft paying him out the ass to play Halo Infinite.
oh good catch

Top Bottom