• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory Announces Project: Mara

Mista

Banned

Today, we are announcing Project: Mara, our new in-development experimental title that explores new ways of storytelling, and we’re excited to share the first details with you.

Project: Mara will be a real-world and grounded representation of mental terror. Based on real lived experience accounts and in-depth research, our aim is to recreate the horrors of the mind as accurately and realistically as possible. Project: Mara will be an experimental title and a showcase of what could become a new storytelling medium.

Since joining Xbox Game Studios in 2018, we’ve been hard at work on our upcoming multiplayer brawler Bleeding Edge, our new recently-announced innovative R&D project, The Insight Project, and of course Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. These projects will continue to drive our development goals for the next few years and will help shape Ninja Theory’s vision for our future.

You can follow the development journey of all of our new projects – Senua’s Saga, The Insight Project and Project: Mara on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

CyberPanda

Banned
ge7ATNQ.jpg

Today, we are announcing Project: Mara, our new in-development experimental title that explores new ways of storytelling, and we’re excited to share the first details with you.

Project: Mara will be a real-world and grounded representation of mental terror. Based on real lived experience accounts and in-depth research, our aim is to recreate the horrors of the mind as accurately and realistically as possible. Project: Mara will be an experimental title and a showcase of what could become a new storytelling medium.

Since joining Xbox Game Studios in 2018, we’ve been hard at work on our upcoming multiplayer brawler Bleeding Edge, our new recently-announced innovative R&D project, The Insight Project, and of course Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. These projects will continue to drive our development goals for the next few years and will help shape Ninja Theory’s vision for our future.

You can follow the development journey of all of our new projects – Senua’s Saga, The Insight Project and Project: Mara on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

Mr Hyde

I can easily see Ninja Theory become one of the biggest and most respected developers in the industry in the next couple of years. They've always had the talent, but now they also have the budget. Expecting some real bangers to come out of this studio during next gen.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Well it certainly looks incredible if that teaser is in-engine!

Question for anyone who knows: Why does Ninja Theory seem to focus on mental issues and the human psyche? Not complaining, I am genuinely curious. It seems a studio head has a fascination or interest in all things mental and I am curious to know why.

They sure love making games about mental illness. The funny thing is, I can't imagine anyone who is actually suffering from these conditions wanting to play these games. Sucks enough having to deal with this shit in real life, why have it in your games as well?

GymWolf

Nextgen is gonna be a contest between naughty dog and ninja theory for who make the most pretentious story :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:
(Of course if kojima doesn't make death stranding 2)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If anything this is something which upsets me in a long loong time. Not sure "if can't wait" or "fuck that"....

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They sure love making games about mental illness. The funny thing is, I can't imagine anyone who is actually suffering from these conditions wanting to play these games. Sucks enough having to deal with this shit in real life, why have it in your games as well?
This has to be the most out of touch, irresponsible and plain ignorant post I've read in 2020. Like, how daft do you have to be not to understand what something like this can achieve? Never mind all they accomplished with Hellblade I for people who suffer with mental illness. Games like these gives those who suffer with mental illness a voice while helping them overcome their fears.

I don't struggle with mental illness and even I saw how they tackled the subject and how profound an effect it can have on a person. Step out of your bubble. Have some compassion for those with said issues. Regardless if you understand it or not, it affects you and your life as well. Jesus....

Dory16

Banned
Well it certainly looks incredible if that teaser is in-engine!

Question for anyone who knows: Why does Ninja Theory seem to focus on mental issues and the human psyche? Not complaining, I am genuinely curious. It seems a studio head has a fascination or interest in all things mental and I am curious to know why.
Someone high up at the studio must have been closely affected. Enslaved, HS and DmC were not about that though to be honest.

This has to be the most out of touch, irresponsible and plain ignorant post I've read in 2020.
You know we're only 22 days in, right? Better buckle up.

I don't struggle with mental illness and even I saw how they tackled the subject and how profound an effect it can have on a person.
Well, I do struggle with mental illness, and the game didn't really do shit for me. Now what? I suppose I should thank you for getting mad at me on my behalf, lol.

Mista

Banned
Have you ever thought of it as its aimed for the people that don't have mental issues? Hellblade sure taught me that if I'm not dealing with something it doesn't mean that "its ok"

Get your head out of your ass and try looking at things from a wider view

Top Bottom