• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory uses techniques to replicate “Anamorphic cinema” in their quest to make Hellblade II an immersive cinematic experience

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You can tell this will be technically proficient and no where near meeting whatever the expectations are. It will be a good benchmark game.

Comandr

24fps would blow this board up if the game rendered that way.
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Let the meltdowns commeeeeeeence!

So Excited Reaction GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Why would they simulate lens breathing... isn't that only happening on cheap lenses? Dont think there are any cinema lenses produced atm with lens breathing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I only want to see gameplay....not some cutscenes.
Let's see gameplay & framerate & combat.
Hope combat is better then original Hellblade.
Be careful what you wish for because it'll be misleading anyway.

Watch Hellblade one trailers and I think just about every gamer thought it's be jam packed with sword battles with raggy savages.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why not ?
You need event to show some gameplay only on events ?

Showcases for first party AAA games serve another purpose as marketing events.
Much bigger PR to show it off during stuff like E3 for example. Or even The Games Awards.

How do you not know this?

You can tell this will be technically proficient and no where near meeting whatever the expectations are. It will be a good benchmark game.

Outside of having tremendous visuals and generally being a great (and well deserved) sequel, I'd like to see a list of those "impossible expectations" expected from Hellblade 2.

Can someone list them for me?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Outside of having tremendous visuals and generally being a great (and well deserved) sequel, I'd like to see a list of those "impossible expectations" expected from Hellblade 2.

Can someone list them for me?
Based on the first game, which bored me, it will take a lot for this to break out of the technically proficient and into something that will stand up against other memorable games. I look forward to the visuals more than anything.

Pedro Motta

Why would they simulate lens breathing... isn't that only happening on cheap lenses? Dont think there are any cinema lenses produced atm with lens breathing.
Not true, Anamorphic cine lenses lenses ususally have lots of breathing. I shoot with them almost every two weeks. It's a bitch for visual effects.

I Master l

Banned
I dont care if they didnt improve the gameplay in this game, Just give me visuals that can make
me say: yeah this is impossible on a last gen console

midnightAI

The tech used in film and video games are basically the same, just used differently. Each medium borrows heavily from the other. Jesus, dude....smh.
I think the point is that films are generally shot using a variety of lenses and sometimes games try to simulate these lenses (in this case anamorphic). The issue is that games (in general) shouldn't be trying to simulate camera lenses, we do not see the world through a lens. However, this is down to the artistic vision of the game developer, if they want it to look like a film lens then so be it but that's where the 'filmic' term comes from and many gamers don't like it (I'm mixed, sometimes it works really well such as The Order 1886, but in many cases it doesn't)

I get where you are coming from as both industries do borrow from one another, however, they are very different in that one is an interactive medium the other isn't. So I disagree with you that the film and video game industry are the same, they can share the same tech but other than that not too much, but maybe thats what you meant rather than both industries are virtually the same.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think the point is that films are generally shot using a variety of lenses and sometimes games try to simulate these lenses (in this case anamorphic). The issue is that games (in general) shouldn't be trying to simulate camera lenses, we do not see the world through a lens. However, this is down to the artistic vision of the game developer, if they want it to look like a film lens then so be it but that's where the 'filmic' term comes from and many gamers don't like it (I'm mixed, sometimes it works really well such as The Order 1886, but in many cases it doesn't)

I get where you are coming from as both industries do borrow from one another, however, they are very different in that one is an interactive medium the other isn't. So I disagree with you that the film and video game industry are the same, they can share the same tech but other than that not too much, but maybe thats what you meant rather than both industries are virtually the same.
I did mean that they both use the same technology to create different types of mediums. Both are still visual mediums though. So it makes sense that they'd exchange techniques. It's no surprise NT is using anamorphic lense technology for their next HB game. The similarities don't stop with just technology. It includes storytelling as well. That's a whole discussion though. But, yeah... Thanks for chiming in.

Top Bottom