• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory's new post-apocalyptic title Enslaved

I've yet to read anything about this game, but just wanted to make it known to all devs that I'm tiring of the post-apocalyptic setting... carry on

I'm glad so many people still find the post-apocalyptic setting appealing, God knows there's enough to go around and plenty more coming. I personally hit "post-apoc" fatigue around Fall Out 3. This is all pretty tangential to this thread, I'm not speaking about the games even, just their setting.

So what's the next big setting for these kinds of games? What's the next "post-apoc"?

user_nat said:
Is there really that many post apoc games..?

I think my problem isn't so much the setting, but more how its been turned into a cash-cow/bullet point by several somewhat high profile upcoming games including this one. As long as this and other games in this setting turn out good its not going to be problem. It just seems like this is fast becoming the 'WWII' of this generation.

user_nat said:
Is there really that many post apoc games..?

Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Borderlands, RAGE, and now this game too. I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of. I'm just ready for something new to look at as opposed to this which has been done to death in movies and now games.

Onix said:
Heavenly Sword was a million seller.

I don't think they left it behind ... iirc, Sony owns the IP?

I still associcate Heavenly Sword with Ninja Theory. I wanted them to make a sequel for it and build it into a franchise.

Yeah Sony does own the IP and it was rumored that SCE Cambridge was gonna make a sequel to it but they decided to make LittleBigPlanet for PSP instead.

Hydrargyrus

Post apocalyptic + UE3

Wooow, everything is totally new, I've never thought I would see something like that :lol :lol

I have to wait, but at this time doesn't attract me so much

Satanyoka

Banned
C'mon guys, U3 is a great engine. It just comes down to how the dev uses it.
Anyway this game could be interesting. Hopefully it's more The Time Traveller type post apoc and not Fallout 3 style.

Onix said:
I doubt it made back it's money ... though I don't think Sony was necessarily expecting it to. It had a pretty crazy budget. IIRC, part of the money went towards all the mo-cap equipment, that I think Sony owns now?
No. Mo cap and most of the cinematic equipment was done at Wingnut and WETA.

Russian Steve said:
Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Borderlands, RAGE, and now this game too. I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of. I'm just ready for something new to look at as opposed to this which has been done to death in movies and now games.
Gears of War 2 isn't a Post Apocalyptic game.

Spoo

Okay fellas, here's the impressions I have (so far) from "Enslaved"

1) 150 years in the future. Awesome. Giant mechanical airships in the sky. Main character has a "headband" that will blow up if you don't follow mysterious chick who walked into your life!

2) Facial expression system from HS being applied to the body this time. Andy Serkis voices main character named "Monkey", and responsible for CASTING.

3) Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine) doing the dialogue.

4) No co-op, but a second character is involved in the (theoretically) third-person adventure.

5) Game takes place in "dilapidated new york"

6) Action "more strategic than heavenly swords"

Interesting to see how this looks...they're using a different engine, so I hope it doesn't actually look less impressive than HS....

Sounds good...how are the graphics?

Spoo

szaromir said:
Any screens in the article or just artworks?

A few screens. Looks like UE3, for sure. A bit more colorful than most UE3 games, I guess. Main character appears to have tattoos on his upper body and not much else.

Spoo

I need to point out: 1) Andy Serkis directs the game's cutscenes. Also, he does all the motion capture work for the main character, Monkey.

2) Composer Nitin Sawhney (The NameSake) is back for "Enslaved" soundtrack

3) "Trip", the other character (responsible for forcing "monkey" into the explosive collar, who controls him to help her get to her village), is "controllable" in the sense that you can issue some basic commands.

billy.sea

Banned
The reason why people care about Heavenly Sword was because it released at a time when the PS3 need an exclusive game to validate itself as a console to own.

Had it released as a multiplatform game published by companies like Ubisoft or Activision no one would care.

evolution

The premise sounds interesting. Most post-apocalyptic games are in barren wastelands, New York sounds like a nice change of scenery

Revelations said:
Yes it is, and so is Half-Life 2. Humanity is on the brink of extinction and the world is a war-torn wasteland filled with monsters. It's the end of days for the human race.

Nitin Sawhney? Awesome....

Pity they couldn't have used the HS engine...with the years since release it could have looked incredible... There are some very nice looking UE3 games, but in general I am not a fan of the engine at all

Spoo

nelsonroyale said:
Nitin Sawhney? Awesome....

Pity they couldn't have used the HS engine...with the years since release it could have looked incredible... There are some very nice looking UE3 games, but in general I am not a fan of the engine at all

Visually, the game looks about on par with Heavenly Sword. Keep in mind, though, that they've applied their animation system to every part of a character, and that the story should be much more involved this time. They're definately going for a much more story-driven game this time around.

Spoo

Also, despite similarities, the article doesn't say anything about Unreal Engine 3.0. It looks like it, but nobody is saying "oh yeah, and this game is UE3-driven", so don't get your panties up in a bunch about that... yet.

Doubledex said:
=

Unreal Engine?? For what? The HS engine was great (Cambridge Studio even helped them).
Uhm.... who cares?! Unreal Engine = no buy

Im thinking Sony maybe owns the engine...otherwise I can't understand why they would do this

szaromir

Banned
Spoo said:
A few screens. Looks like UE3, for sure. A bit more colorful than most UE3 games, I guess. Main character appears to have tattoos on his upper body and not much else.
Are there actual Crackdown 2 screens in the mag as well? If so, please comment in the Crackdown 2 thread:D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Tylahedras said:
I liked Kung Fu Chaos... Thought I'd just throw that out there since people seem to be bagging on it.

Yea it was better than HS :lol

While i only played the demo of both HS was by far the worse fighter ive ever played. They can nail the graphics quality but can they nail the gameplay.

Post apocalyptic is always good IMO. I like this new trend in gaming.

Jesus how depressing.

Developer tries something new.
Fails.
Decides to use Unreal Engine 3.
Game is called Enslaved.

Literally.

Enslaved.

Why not call it.. We Are Very Sorry For Trying.

Opiate

Welp, I really didn't enjoy Heavenly Sword, and the "Post-Apocalyptic" setting is this generation's WWII shooter, so I have to say my hype meter is somewhere between 0 and .01.

Hope other people enjoy their fun, of course.

Curious to see what it looks like, hopefully their previous work on HS comes in handy somewhere despite using a new engine.

Definitely want them to be successful.

Opiate

Revelations said:

The Locust have swarmed in and destroyed all human governance on Sera, with only COG remaining. How is that not post apocalyptic? If "virtually all governance on the planet has been destroyed" does not qualify as an apocalypse, what does?

Heavenly Sword was one of a kind. Just get over it people. This is sad but what can we do ? I just hope for the studio that the game won't be a commercial failure so they can still live one.

billy.sea said:
The reason why people care about Heavenly Sword was because it released at a time when the PS3 need an exclusive game to validate itself as a console to own.

Had it released as a multiplatform game published by companies like Ubisoft or Activision no one would care.
No.
It had better production values than most games, eye catching graphics, and decent storytelling.
If it had been published by Acti or Ubisoft, it probably would have sold more, because their advertising guys would have gone to town with Nariko, Kai,the Andy Serkis character and the epic, ballbusting action moves. HS is a cool looking game when it's being played by someone else.

Post-apocalyptic can be good when done in a creative way...very rarely is...just the usual, boring mutant strewn wasteland...

Why not something like Nausicaa, or even Waterworld... I know, I know...it makes sense if we nuked each other...but perhaps, there can be other dooms day devices now...climate change, chemical/biological warfare etc

somewhat interested if they maintain their taste in style and the technology for the face capturing (including hiring real Hollywood/TV actors).
HS had some of the best (game engine) cutscenes this gen

just look at this (making of):
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/making-of-heavenly-sword/24351

Edit: cutscene example:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sinister-plans-heavenly-sword/23163

It's ridiculous that most "high profile" games (even today) are not even close in this aspect/technlogoy.

Doubledex said:
=

Unreal Engine?? For what? The HS engine was great (Cambridge Studio even helped them).
Uhm.... who cares?! Unreal Engine = no buy

....did you play batman: Arkham Asylum?

You know some times when you say something, it really makes me wonder if you thought it through. I find myself smh frequently over your posts.

highluxury said:
....did you play batman: Arkham Asylum?

You know some times when you say something, it really makes me wonder if you thought it through. I find myself smh frequently over your posts.

Yeah Batman looks good, but it definitely has the weaknesses associated with UE3 games...especially the extreme bloom and blockiness...this is more than made up for by the excellent art direction however...

Still, I feel that three years of development could have made the HS engine look up there with today's big boys... As good as batman looks, technically there are quite alot of more impressive looking games that have been/will be released this year

Top Bottom