• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2 Financial Results

Mantorok

I was so close to grabbing one at the weekend for Mario but am trying to hold out for the Black Friday deals to see if I can get a nice bundle.

I must have Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart in my life, the FOMO is real.

Exactly what I'm waiting for. I'm happy to pay for one of those games bit I want to have at least 2 in a good bundle deal.

Sigh. I gotta make it here.

Nintendo's had their Financial briefing to investors for the second quarter. After Nintendo stock value rose over 5% in the Tokyo Stock Exchange because of positive Quarterly Results, Kimishima presented his briefing for the period. Super Mario Odyssey is confirmed to have sold over 2 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

screenshot_20171030-28cjkc.jpg

Interesting tidbits:

- Mario Run has reached 200 million downloads, still has not turned an "acceptable profit"
- Growth of marketbase for Fire Emblem: Heroes in the west now outmatches Japan.
- Animal Crossing Pocket Camp is a culmination of the lessons they learned from Miitomo, Mario Run, and Fire Emblem: Heroes.
- SNES/Super Famicom Classic sells through over 2 million units worldwide by end of September
- Switch consumer base mainly male and between the ages of 20-34
- Majority of users play the Switch in both modes. Handheld mode only more than docked only.
- Digital sales grow YoY.
- Reiterates increased forecast of 14 million units by end of fiscal year.

No messin' with Kimishima.

oasEPyC.jpg

Okay NOW I'm gone.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They were being conservative so the market was surprised at how well they were doing.

I'm so tempted to buy a Switch now, I just saw the Skyrim themed one and it's so freaking sexy. But I'm gonna wait until next year.

I hope to still be alive by then.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Strong start for Mario — and damn it deserves it. Interesting to see how the Holiday pans out for Nintendo and if they’ll be able to keep up on Switch stock. The machine has clearly captured the imagination of the public, and competition is always healthy in this industry.

R00bot

This is what happens when you have two of the greatest games ever made release in the same year on one of the most well designed, attractive and versatile (hardware-wise) consoles ever made.

The king has returned.

Can't wait to see holiday numbers.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Damn, very nice Nintendo! Lockin' down a ton of sales this holiday season.

Can't wait to get a switch after the holidays, when things slow down and I get some free time. Will be adding +1 sales to BOTW and Mario, plus Octopath when that comes out.

Andyliini

Great numbers for Super Mario Odyssey. I'm in the second Kingdom now, and I love it so far. May they keep up the momentum with more great games, altough only 3 1st-party games have been confirmed for 2018 so far.

Kikorin

Deserved, Switch is so awesome to play, before it's release was much if I turned on a console 2 or 3 times in a week, now I play everyday again like when I was a kid and I've already bought 3 games on dayone for the first time in years.

Is simply to good and easy to pick it up and play with reactive and fluid OS and zero loading times to be in the game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Strong start for Mario — and damn it deserves it. Interesting to see how the Holiday pans out for Nintendo and if they'll be able to keep up on Switch stock. The machine has clearly captured the imagination of the public, and competition is always healthy in this industry.

I don't see it as competition to anything honestly. In fact I don't think they will have direct competition, it's hard to take on the kind of unique thing they have done here.

And I don't believe competition is always a good thing. Competition means more saming, less risks, arm wrestling, cloning, the same games over and over again with different clothing. I prefer building bridges instead of building walls. It's a complicated matter.

grim-tales

If Switch sells 14m by December (?) it'll have sold more than Wii U did in its whole life. That's pretty impressive.

Pepboy

I think the breakdown of Switch buyers by gender (90% male) is also quite surprising!

I wonder if that makes them reconsider Animal Crossing on Switch, as they also mentioned that series is primarily popular among females.

I also wonder if Switch will hit Wii levels. Based on graphs, seems unlikely.

Kid Ying

I think the breakdown of Switch buyers by gender (90% male) is also quite surprising!

I wonder if that makes them reconsider Animal Crossing on Switch, as they also mentioned that series is primarily popular among females.

Yeah. Strange considering Nintendo was always popular with women. I think Nintendo still didnt release the right games to bring those fans yet. Animal crossing would be a good start.

And i dont think It will hit the Wii levels either.

Is it? I think we've seen similair statistics before from Nintendo. Despite people desperately wanting it not to be the case, women just aren't playing (Nintendo) games as much.

This is typically the case with new videogame systems. Given that it is supply constrained and new, the hardcore male audience currently dominates the system. They are not going to cancel Animal Crossing on Switch. Nintendo systems typically have a high female user bases because they release games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon. Female gamers aren't going to buy the system if they cancel the most appeal games for them. However, give the Switch some time when it isn't supply constrained. Next year we should see kids and female gamers pick up on the Switch.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is it? I think we've seen similair statistics before from Nintendo. Despite people desperately wanting it not to be the case, women just aren't playing (Nintendo) games as much.

The thing that should surprise nobody is the 20-34 age group dominating their userbase with a (relatively) expensive handheld hybrid console. Let's see how they can drop price or introduce cheaper models to get more and more of younger age groups :).

Pepboy

Ah, I hadn't heard the gender breakdown for Nintendo before. I guess I thought ps4 and xbox were male dominated and Switch had a more diverse player base.

Yeah. Strange considering Nintendo was always popular with women. I think Nintendo still didnt release the right games to bring those fans yet. Animal crossing would be a good start.

And i dont think It will hit the Wii levels either.

I didn't think Animal Crossing was a system seller till I just looked up the numbers now... Wow its a much bigger franchise than I gave it credit for. I thought each one moved 100,000 copies or so.

I guess it's really strange to me because I'd heard such amazing things about it, played for several days assuming "ah soon something will happen. There's a reason people like this" and just never getting it at all. I mean I felt there was so little I could do each day. Pick some fruit, sell for bells x10 days for a new house. Dig up some fossils, go fishing or bug hunting, and talk to neighbors. I love the Sims but I still feel like I just don't "get" it.

Still seems like f2p mobile is a good home for it, it already had time gated and social elements. But I guess it's more likely to have a Switch game than I thought.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm 34 and in love with this system. I haven't had a Nintendo console since the Wii but boy I'm glad I jumped in on this. I do wish SMO was harder but it is still a great game.

I can't wait for a cheaper option. I won't buy my kids their own 300 dollar "tablet" to break. I do let them play mine docked though.

Si2k78

I’m not surprised at all. Consider that the console is still relatively hard to find, and still requires some dedication to track down. Only the more hardcore fans, whom are mostly male, would be willing to go to those lengths to secure one. I think once stock becomes more readily available in store, we should see the gender distribution normalize.

Trickfinger

Neo Member
very strong start for odyssey.

Also, noting that switch is the only console that has't been released during the holiday period, I think it definitely will catch up to the Wii this year IF they can deliver on their promise of a higher production rate.

spelen

Christmas season will dramatically change those demographics. Since, the system has been dominated by young adults one child assume that mk8 will continue to increase in sales as younger ppl get their hands on the Console.

Shifty1897

Here's an unpopular opinion: The NX will be Nintendo's last console. Five years or so from now, they'll do handhelds as long as they're profitable and third party games for both Sony and Microsoft. Since they'll be broke at this point, the first order of business will be to port Mario and Zelda games to those platforms first, then use the funding to make a proper Zelda/Mario, which, since they'll need it to hit, won't take any major risks, like being an MMO.

I wrote that 2 years ago. I now own a Switch and love it. I'm sorry, Nintendo. I didn't believe. I will repent by buying an amiibo.

This is astounding news, and this doesn't even account for things like the month of October for the Switch sales!

It's great that Nintendo is killing it this year, can't wait to see what comes next!

Top Bottom