• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

Andrefpvs

I believe this might deserve its own thread. Here's a specs comparison between all the 3DS models, including the recently-announced 2DS. The most important piece of data is that while the 2DS has better battery life than the regular 3DS, it's unfortunately not as good as the 3DS XL.

Interestingly, it will come with a charger (3DS XL does not in Europe and Japan), reinforcing the idea that the 2DS is essentially "My first Nintendo handheld".

0NO657J.png

http://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/images/projects/flower/3ds/FAMILY_A4_TABLE_UK.pdf

Aditionally, the 2DS comes with a 4GB SD card, includes a switch that emulates closing the console (for sleep mode, StreetPassing, etc.), and is only slightly heavier than the regular 3DS. For further cost reductions, the speaker is only monaural, although stereo sound can be output via headphones. Power Saving mode will also be removed, perhaps as a consequence of the removal of 3D.

The screens will be the same size as the regular 3DS.

j7UZ5wa.png

Please understand if old.

Guevara

How is this thing heavier than a 3DS?

Also: Apparently it's just one big screen under the plastic frame. If true, that would be one weird aspect, shitty screen.

shinjijai

it's amazing that they couldn't put a bigger battery into that thing, or use a newer process on the chips for better battery performance.

For some reason, I thought the screen sizes were closer to XL. Weird. But at least it won't cut your hands like the regular 3DS.

Gaz_RB

This is Nintendo trying to tap into a lower aged market. As long as they don't drop normal 3ds support, I think it's a fine idea.

RPGCrazied

How can the speaker get any worse? Its already shit on the 3DS. Its like headphones is required to use. Why even have a speaker?

BD1

Banned
I guess the idea that its for very little kids and the lack of 3D eases parents concerns about screwing up little johnny's eyes?

I dunno, what a bizarre product announcement.

Shakala

Plenty of people will buy this. I remember many parents opting for the dsi over the 3ds just because of the price point

FZZ

Banned
It really does look like bread.

I'm gonna stick with my OG Cosmo Black 3DS. If I had a 5 year old sibling or something I'd pick it up for them, just to fuck with them lol.

It's an outrage though.

I literally puked.

I'm so done with this company.

People will think you're being serious, you really shouldn't say things like this.

How is this thing heavier than a 3DS?

Also: Apparently it's just one big screen under the plastic frame. If true, that would be one weird aspect, shitty screen.

Cross-post:

So if this article is correct and Nintendo really is using a single, larger (masked) screen instead of the two previous ones - then what LCD-panel are they using? It must be something like 533x400 (4:3) but that doesn't sound like a dirtcheap, "mainstream" component. Or is it VGA (640x480)?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Ergonomics look much better at least, but how is it possible to have worse battery???

I'm happy with my power grip for 3DS though, 3 times the battery, great ergonomics; but this looks to have a usable Dpad...

iammeiam

The more I think about it, the weirdest part is that they didn't hold off until they could release this thing at $99 where it could really take off. I know this price point worked for the DS, but.

Alpha_eX

I really doubt the target audience (kids) are going to care that it's mono sound or the battery isn't as long as another system.

Parents will be buying this for kids and that's the point, hence the price. They're aiming at kids wanting the new Pokemon game and if parents can get it cheap, it'll sell over a more expensive 3DS model.

This console isn't aimed at any of us.

Swindle

Banned
The battery life should be much better with no 3d right? All I can think about is the name being too similar putting them at a disadvantage for whatever they're trying to sell. I remember parents asking for Call of Battlefield and NFL2K Madden. And now they gotta make sure they ask for a 2ds and not a 3ds or 3ds XL thingamajigger. Somehow I always feel NIntendo doesn't research names that well, but they must have focus groups for these things.

Nekofrog

Banned
The idea that the Nintendo faithful are trying to pass this off as "ITS FOR KIDS OKAY" is mind blowing. Especially when Nintendo themselves never stated such, and even released media of adults using the system.

The idea that the Nintendo faithful are trying to pass this off as "ITS FOR KIDS OKAY" is mind blowing. Especially when Nintendo themselves never stated such, and even released media of adults using the system.

Good try but this is exactly what Nintendo told IGN, that's it targeted for under 7 year olds.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Who would want this?

Parents who want to buy their kids Pokemon and a 3DS at an affordable price. Plus, the flat design kind of reminds me of a tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Nintendo's way of directly competing with that market for small kids.

That said, as someone who had a 3DS and now owns a 3DS XL, this is really ugly and not useful to me whatsoever. For kids ages 6-9, it seems like an ideal and affordable option this holiday.

-Horizon-

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

The standard 3DS 7+
2DS is for < 7

Top Bottom