• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: 4 multi-million sellers in five months, a first for the Japanese market

L~A

During the last investor meeting, Iwata said the 3DS would probably become the 1st platform ever with 4 different 2 million sellers in 5 months. Well, it did happen, and Nintendo just put out a PR to break the news.

Obviously, the four 2 million sellers aren't surprising:

Youkai Watch 2
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4G
Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Sales data goes up to Dec. 7, so that means that Pokémon OR/AS reached 2m (including digital sales) this week-end.

Number of 2 million sellers in Japan per platform:

3DS: 10
DS: 14
Wii: 8

Source

3DS will have 5 multi-million sellers in 6 months, considering YW2.5: record after record!

Also, this confirms SSB has had 2m shipped so far; trackers have it around 1.85m. Nintendo shipped units for the holiday season.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's where the Japanese market is by and large outside of mobile...

Unfortunately, that means every other console or handheld is doomed

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

Phamit

Oh dammit Nintendo, stop being successful and give me Advance Wars with Micro transactions for my Ipad already

L~A

YW2.5 is coming for another 2 millions fo sho.

True, but it won't be within 5 months, sadly. Well, it'd need to sell 2 millions right out of the gate. Kinda insane to have 2 games of the same franchise sell 2 millions within the same quarter, especially since the 2nd game is just a 3rd version of the 1st one.

cacildo

Let me ask you all something: the original Nintendo Ds was a huge hit, yet it had a BIG piracy problem.

I mean, living in brasil, i cant tell you nobody ever saw a single NDS original cartrige here. Only... what were the names? D4? Supercard?

Anyway, now Nintendo has the 3ds, and even with recent efforts, we can all agree there´s basically no piracy on it.

Do you think this situation makes the Nintendo 3DS a lot more profitable than the original DS?

Jesus Christ, Nintendo, why don't you just die down already. We need those games in mobiles and tablets goddammit.

lol.
The beast won't die. It would better go taxi or love hotel again than put its games elsewhere.

Pretty good numbers indeed. Iwata probably just saved his head.

JoeM86

True, but it won't be within 5 months, sadly. Well, it'd need to sell 2 millions right out of the gate. Kinda insane to have 2 games of the same franchise sell 2 millions within the same quarter, especially since the 2nd game is just a 3rd version of the 1st one.

The fact there's only one version rather than two will have an impact on sales as well, thanks to the people who buy both, and enhanced versions of Pokémon always sell less so that'll likely happen with Youkai Watch, too

Let me ask you all something: the original Nintendo Ds was a huge hit, yet it had a BIG piracy problem.

I mean, living in brasil, i cant tell you nobody ever saw a single NDS original cartrige here. Only... what were the names? D4? Supercard?

Anyway, now Nintendo has the 3ds, and even with recent efforts, we can all agree there´s basically no piracy on it.

Do you think this situation makes the Nintendo 3DS a lot more profitable than the original DS?
No. In general, globally, DS still pushed magnitudes more software than 3DS is doing.

Also, DS had better hardware profit margins.

Rembrandt

Banned

Nah, the DS sold 150+ million. All the piracy in the world couldn't make that unprofitable. Also the software sales as someone else pointed out. Has to be above 200 million now.

Congrats to Nintendo. Continuing to prove naysayers wrong.

Azuran

Banned
And some people were wondering why they decided to make two Smash Bros. versions this time around.

The Ice Climbers were sacrificed for the greater good.

SalvaPot

Its better for Nintendo, because Nintendo makes most of its profit in software, not in hardware. That is, they get far more money if you buy $200 worth of games than if you buy a $200 console.

But is it more profitable than the DS altogether? Hard to say, but I don't think so, since even with the piracy problem the amount of hits they produced was bigger and Nintendo had to sell the 3DS at a loss for a while, something that never happened with the DS.

mazpratim

DS software sales were magnitudes higher than 3DS

Nope.

Just look at DS' numbers. 150M consoles or the software sales.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Remember in 2011 when the 3DS was a troubled bomb of a system?

mazpratim

DS hardware sales were magnitudes higher because they tapped a then untapped market that has now shifted.

It's easy to use statistics without context to make things look bad

I wasn't making things look bad, that was a response to the user who asked if 3DS was more profitable than DS

Remember in 2011 when the 3DS was a troubled bomb of a system?

Do I ever. It really seemed hopeless then.

I really hope Wii U has a similar comeback. Problem is it doesn't have Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter (all as in exclusives tailor-made for Wii U), Youkai Watch (at the moment?), etc.

Nintendo needs aggression, letting Sony get Dragon Quest Heroes and even possibly DQ11 was a big mistake, when the IP for a long time felt like it was Nintendo's to keep.

JoeM86

I wasn't making things look bad, that was a response to the user who asked if 3DS was more profitable than DS

Ah fair enough.

Still on the mode where I see statistics as bad ever since I saw Siliconera compare X & Y's 11 months on sale with Black & White's 4 years and Diamond & Pearl's 8 years and claim there's clearly a "downward trend"

YW2.5 will be 2mln after 10 days

good for 3DS all those records even if hw sales are struggling

L~A

Nah, the DS sold 150+ million. All the piracy in the world couldn't make that unprofitable. Also the software sales as someone else pointed out. Has to be above 200 million now.

Congrats to Nintendo. Continuing to prove naysayers wrong.

200 millions? Nah, total software sales are almost at 1 billion (945m to be more precise).

The casual boom was something utterly nut, and there's probably not one console that'll be able to beat or even do as good as that... including the PS4. Not with how prominent mobile platforms have become.

Rembrandt

Banned
200 millions? Nah, total software sales are almost at 1 billion (945m to be more precise).

The casual boom was something utterly nut, and there's probably not one console that'll be able to beat or even do as good as that... including the PS4. Not with how prominent mobile platforms have become.

holy shit, lol. that's insane. I figured it was a lot higher. I think that 200 million number was from 07.

I'm really not so sure. It took a few weeks to reach that with two versions. Here's just one game and it's not really that new. It'll be 1 million launch week at absolute best

Predictions want YW2.5 around 2m in the first few days... The game is going to be huge.

YW2.5 will be 2mln after 10 days

good for 3DS all those records even if hw sales are struggling

Second fastest-selling hardware in Japan behind DS, and going to catch up PS2 and PSP: "struggling".

JoeM86

Predictions want YW2.5 around 2m in the first few days... The game is going to be huge.

It took Pokémon remakes 2 weeks to hit that. Youkai Watch isn't bigger than Pokémon. You're dreaming that a single enhanced version of Youkai Watch would do that.

It took Pokémon remakes 2 weeks to hit that. Youkai Watch isn't bigger than Pokémon. You're dreaming that a single enhanced version of Youkai Watch would do that.

YW is still in its growing phase + holiday season + the movie is releasing in the same week + preorders are huge (COMGnet, Amazon plus many physical stores that stopped preorders a while ago) = the game is going to be huge. I'm not expecting "just above a million" in the debut week.

PS: I'm not dreaming, but L5 is surely living in a dream right now!

Alrus

The thing is, pre-orders are absolutely insane for this version, it's releasing around the same time as a YW movie that already broke multiple records regarding pre-ticket sales and it's the holidays. It seems the craze wasn't even at its peak when the original YW2 launched.

I don't think it's going to get a 2 mil opening (although that would be amazing), but it's obviously going to sell very very well.

Top Bottom