• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba

Banned
chixdiggit said:
I predict the new 3DS will turn out like Wii motion plus, Wii Balance Board, DSi, Power Pad, Super Scope 6, R.O.B., Virtual Boy, E-Reader, Nintendo 64 VRU, Etc, Etc. Meaning another Nintendo product that gets very little support.

I predict years from now this thread will be resurrected and you will be quoted and laughed at just like the DS and Wii non believers.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is it popular opinion that the 3DS will be 3D using head-tracking?

I'm still in the camp that it'll use an autostereoscopic screen. At least, that's what in hoping for. (I want shit to pop out of my screen!)

stilgar

Ten-Song said:
This reminds me of all those terrible "Nintendo Helmet" mock-ups before the Wii was officially unveiled. God they were so bad.:lol

nintendo-on.jpg

If by bad you mean "the best fake ever", then yes, this one was sooo bad.

Dacvak said:
So is it popular opinion that the 3DS will be 3D using head-tracking?

I'm still in the camp that it'll use an autostereoscopic screen. At least, that's what in hoping for. (I want shit to pop out of my screen!)

Its popular opinion among clueless idiots, sure.

Cygnus X-1

Interesing will be the way Nintendo will market the portable, since no TV ads, or poster, or screenshots or trailers will transmit the effect of 3D.

goomba

Banned
Why do people think Nintendo will replace the DS Dpad with an Analog stick?

Doubt it. Dpad is more casual friendly :D

Remember the DS launched without a analog stick and its main launch game was Mario 64 , the defining 3d analog stick game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think it will have both.
3D, headtracking, and tilt controls would be fucking crazy.

If you're like turning it to steer or something but everything stays perfectly level in track with your eyes AND it's popping out of the screen!

Deku

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Interesing will be the way Nintendo will market the portable, since no TV ads, or poster, or screenshots or trailers will transmit the effect of 3D.

They can fake it by using CG to show some of the effect.

But like the DS, it will most likely be instore units that does the selling. And of course killer apps.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:

A major problem for the VB as well.

wind_steaker said:
Now I believe but may be wrong that LCDs are transparent untill current is passed through the screen making them opaque. (a source for this)

So if Nintendo had 3 or 4 layered LCD screens that can have images on them while leaving areas transparent this could create a real illusion of depth.
I really know jack about LCD tech, but I suppose that's feasible. Would be a lot more limiting in terms of depth, though. Rather than two images that combine to create whatever sort of distance view the developer desires, it would be like a screen with a third resolution number (400x300x4 or whatever), and each layer always being separated by the same distance--the thickness of one LCD layer. Still, it would fit the requirement of 3D effects without glasses.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jtwo said:
I think it will have both.
3D, headtracking, and tilt controls would be fucking crazy.

If you're like turning it to steer or something but everything stays perfectly level in track with your eyes AND it's popping out of the screen!
Well, autostereoscopic screens don't work correctly if you tilt your head 90 degrees, so if motion controls have been confirmed for the 3DS then I'm guessing it will end up using head tracking.

chixdiggit

goomba said:
I predict years from now this thread will be resurrected and you will be quoted and laughed at just like the DS and Wii non believers.

Maybe. But I don't think it will really be a new platform like the DS or Wii. I think it will be like the DSi. But yea, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Branduil

Linkzg said:
as for a d-pad that can become an analog stick, it would be interesting if they looked at the dinovo mini method. That's more a 5 way d-pad that becomes a small thumb touch pad, but if they have a dip and leave it textured, I don't see why they couldn't just have a "touch" based analog stick. The reason it didn't really work on the DS or iPhone is because you didn't know where the borders were or the relative range; you had to build that muscle memory for each game you played.

This is what it looks like:

11lonxt.jpg

In the top picture it is in the mode where you can click in in the four directions or press it down. In the bottom picture it becomes a touch pad like you'd find on a laptop, but a bit more designed for thumb use.
Seems more likely Nintendo would just use virtual analog again, only this time with selective rumble so you can actually "feel" the edges.

goomba said:

People are already thinking in 3D! A humble D-pad isn't going to cut it anymore.

But seriously, I also believe that Nintendo's design will always aim for something unimposing and easy to approach, from a consumer standpoint, that is.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dacvak said:
Well, autostereoscopic screens don't work correctly if you tilt your head 90 degrees, so if motion controls have been confirmed for the 3DS then I'm guessing it will end up using head tracking.
Aw lame. Oh well!

Cygnus X-1 said:
Lenticular Posters is one way. CG heavy TV ads would be another. They'll probably tend towards TV ads that shows celebrities' reactions to the system.

Osietra

Banned
Glenn Beck is an anagram of Nintendo, which is why Cameron called him out for a high noon.

I don't want Avatar on my next ds Ninty.

Linkified

goomba said:

Remember the DS launched without a analog stick and its main launch game was Mario 64 , the defining 3d analog stick game.

Because the Nikkei speculates it will have one and as mentioned earlier in this thread they have been correct about Nintendo related info in the past.

Quincey

Banned
Mik2121 said:
To play DS and DSi games?
why would they handicap their new device so people could play old games. the 3ds is obviously going to make some changes from the dsi, otherwise it would just be a dsi that can do 3d.

Quincey said:
why would they handicap their new device so people could play old games. the 3ds is obviously going to make some changes from the dsi, otherwise it would just be a dsi that can do 3d.
Do...do you realize that BC was already announced or are you making the funnies

I think if it's the size of the XL, they could easily include both a analog stick and d-pad.
Speaking of which, I got to try out an XL today (I know a Nintendo rep) and damn that thing is sexy. I love everything about it.
I hope the 3DS is designed in a similar way.

maniac-kun said:
right like they cant translate analogstick input to 8 digital directions
The analog stick and d-pad are different experiences and represent different reaction times. Try playing Megaman with a stick sometime.

Mik2121

Quincey said:
But... it will have BC. They could use the analog stick to simulate the d-pad, but still..

Quincey said:
do people really believe that the 3ds will have the same graphics capability as it's current home console.
It could get at least as close as PSP did.
Osietra said:
I don't want Avatar on my next ds Ninty.
Sorry. Thanks to BC, you're already lost.
G10813_M.jpg

maniac-kun said:
why would they keep a 2d input device when the thing is promoting 3d
So are analog sticks disallowed, too? They're just really really precise 2D.

MisterHero

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not that I assumed that it was going to work that way, but how exactly is this most likely going to work?
People are assuming such because the DSi already has cameras and has face detection, why is head-tracking such bad speculation?

if it were stereoscopy, wouldn't that mean the DS would have to render the same scene multiple times to create the alternating images?

see I haven't been paying as much attention as other Hi-def Hi-tech afficionados on GAF

Quincey

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Do...do you realize that BC was already announced or are you making the funnies

I am aware it will have bc. Just saying it is stupid of them not to include an analog stick just for the sake of bc. You can use an analog stick for the things you use a d pad for.

Mik2121

Kulock said:
That's more like it. What's that on the top half mirroring the buttons, though?
I don't think it's mirroring, but rather something like you would find on a pen tablet? At least it looks like that:

wacom-intuos-3.jpg

I have no clue about why did he add that, or if it's really that or not. I would delete that part and upload a new mock-up fix but then again he apparently didn't like what I did before.

Kulock said:
That's more like it. What's that on the top half mirroring the buttons, though?
Unannounced feature. Conceptual obviously. It's a track/thumb pad that can take fingerprints and measure pulse... like the Vitality Sensor.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Unannounced feature. Conceptual obviously. It's a track/thumb pad that can take fingerprints and measure pulse... like the Vitality Sensor.

I suspected something like that. I feel like it should be on the left side for Book Format use, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom