• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

zallaaa

By the way, how can Nintendo show videos of 3D games? Will it provide 3d glasses to the audience and project the output to a screen or will it simply show a 2d video and goes like "well, you can also see it in 3d"? I mean, since the screen should be auto-stereoscopic, is it possible to record the 3d effect?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
zallaaa said:
By the way, how can Nintendo show videos of 3D games? Will it provide 3d glasses to the audience and project the output to a screen or will it simply show a 2d video and goes like "well, you can also see it in 3d"? I mean, since the screen should be auto-stereoscopic, is it possible to record the 3d effect?

This actually is a very good question. How will the big reveal stun anyone if you still can't show 3d on screens without glasses 'n stuff?

Bufbaf said:
This actually is a very good question. How will the big reveal stun anyone if you still can't show 3d on screens without glasses 'n stuff?

Not showing it in 3D will force everyone to go hands-on with the system on the showfloor, which is what Nintendo wants in the end. So they won't lose anything by not having it in 3D at the conference.

DataBot said:
Well i updated the wiki page.

Changing it from this

to this

That would be a more sane translation. I'd expect it to handle something like twice the geometry of a PSP, but with some form of flexible pixel shaders.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Vinterbird said:
Not showing it in 3D will force everyone to go hands-on with the system on the showfloor, which is what Nintendo wants in the end. So they won't lose anything by not having it in 3D at the conference.
This is how Virtual Boy was unveiled at Spaceworld.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Vinterbird said:

You know as well as I that some Gaffer is going to be watching to the event, and then bitch here that the 3D effect was "really weak" and they couldn't even tell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EatChildren said:
You know as well as I that some Gaffer is going to be watching to the event, and then bitch here that the 3D effect was "really weak" and they couldn't even tell.

What if that's how they actually feel about it? I suspect the 3d will be pretty clear and striking and not simply stereoscopic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OuterWorldVoice said:
What if that's how they actually feel about it? I suspect the 3d will be pretty clear and striking and not simply stereoscopic.

It was supposed to be a joke about the event obviously being unable to show the 3D effect to the audiance until they go hands-on with the device, and some moron thinking that because they cant see it the 3D effect is crap.

I'm sorry I failed.

EatChildren said:

And then we will have 20 pages of us quoting journalists saying it works, and idiots saying they can't see it. Bans, laughs, gifs and all the fun of E3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
ds doesn't stand for anything; it's been backronymed into "developer's system" and "dual screen".
really? I could have sworn 'dual-screen' was at some point or another the official title.

Prez

ksamedi said:
A 3D camera that can sense motions? If true, this will probably be an amazing system with a wide variety of software.

Perhaps it's necessary to calculate the viewing distance of the player if the 3D effect depends on that.

EatChildren

Sammy Samusu said:
I'm not from China, but I do have a devkit.

Is it as powerful as 12 PS3s combined?

antispin

Bufbaf said:

Perhaps they will use multiple giant screens of the same tech as on the 3DS to showcase games. Also, hands-on post-conference

zallaaa

Vinterbird said:

Well, maybe that's not a problem NOW (at the show), but it could very well become annoying when they'll need to address the wider consumer audience. I mean, at the moment I cannot imagine something similar to the Wii ad-push if they cannot show the major (?) selling point of the handheld and it is definitely important to continue to cater to Nintendo's expanded audience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
zallaaa said:
Well, maybe that's not a problem NOW (at the show), but it could very well become annoying when they'll need to address the wider consumer audience. I mean, at the moment I cannot imagine something similar to the Wii ad-push if they cannot show the major (?) selling point of the handheld and it is definitely important to continue to cater to Nintendo's expanded audience.
What if 3D isn't the major selling point?

zallaaa said:

Well the companies manage to advertise 3D movies like Avatar just awesomely, so maybe its not that big of a problem.

One of my DSlite hinges just broke so I'm looking forward to this. I probably won't buy it at launch but this will probably come with a price-cut for the DSi XL, right?

Glass Soldier said:
One of my DSlite hinges just broke so I'm looking forward to this. I probably won't buy it at launch but this will probably come with a price-cut for the DSi XL, right?

You remind me of my first gen DS Lites that suffered from the hinge crack and issue, lol.

antispin said:
Perhaps they will use multiple giant screens of the same tech as on the 3DS to showcase games.
The crowd will encompass one row of people with heads stacked like a totem pole so their eyes are in the right position to get the different images.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The crowd will encompass one row of people with heads stacked like a totem pole so their eyes are in the right position to get the different images.

3D screens have multiple sweet spots, ya know, between all the bad angles. You still have to strap people's heads into exactly the right place though.

zallaaa said:
I took precautions with the question mark within brackets :D
Actually, I definitely hope to see some misterious orange port to speculate on!

There won't be anything to speculate on. Nintendo will throw every single piece of information out on the hardware. There's no reason to hide anything this close to launch.

zallaaa

Vinterbird said:
There won't be anything to speculate on. Nintendo will throw every single piece of information out on the hardware. There's no reason to hide anything this close to launch.

Did you hear????????

That's the sound shattered dreams make... :(

Vinterbird said:

When September comes with price details and launch configurations, perhaps this post will be brought back up?

But seriously, thats alot to bet on there being in terms of information at this E3

antispin

JoshuaJSlone said:
:lol That's why I said multiple. 36 pairs of screens, every 10 degrees. :D

Bentendo

AceBandage said:
Of course they will.
And at most retailers.
I mean, we had Wii kisoks up like a month in advance.

And Nintendo DS ones too. I distinctly remember playing Metroid Prime: Hunters: First Hunt on the Nintendo DS at Best Buy well before I got a Nintendo DS (I got one on launch day).

Dedication Through Light said:
When September comes with price details and launch configurations, perhaps this post will be brought back up?

But seriously, thats alot to bet on there being in terms of information at this E3

Not really. If it is launching this Ocotober, they are gonna have to announce everything, including price and every feature, this week. Every source that has spoken to respectable websites indicates an October release, so I see no reason for why we won't get everything we could want information wise from the conference.

zallaaa

Vinterbird said:
Not really. If it is launching this Ocotober, they are gonna have to announce everything, including price and every feature, this week. Every source that has spoken to respectable websites indicates an October release, so I see no reason for why we won't get everything we could want information wise from the conference.

You've just reminded me that I still feel as if the whole thing is too much hurried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom