• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

The dinosaur thing is kinda cool.

Drkirby said:
It does make me wish I didn't get an DSi 5 months ago, but I will get over it.

About 3 months for me, but I regret nothing. NOTHING!

But I needed a new DS really badly and even though I saw it coming I was never going to buy the next handheld until ~two years after its launch anyway, so I don't really care.

Vinci

Danish
GCX said:
This threads reminds me of 2004 when everyone made crazy DS mock-ups of and wondered what the fuck Nintendo was doing with two screens.

Except now we're sold on the screen part and are trying to figure out where to put the analog stick. ;)

Salsa

late to this but:

HOLY FUCK

350kk7p.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You guys should really check out the 3D mode/MGS3 cutscenes/creepy model shoots of Metal Gear Acid 2 if you haven't already, they looked pretty awesome. The 3DS screen tech sounds a lot like that, except without the need for a crazy peripheral.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Byakuya769 said:
It's really cool living in a time equivalent to when tvs went from black and white to color, with our transition from standard to hd/3-d.
Moving to HD was a hugely anticipated tech rollover as well.. So really we're living through a bunch of video revolutions.

I love this time of a cycle, so much to get excited over. Even if it's my 5th go round it's just as much fun as when I was trying to find out everything I could about the Super Nintendo. Maybe more so due to the whole 3D aspect which came out of left field for me at least.

Souldriver said:
Me neither.
Same here. For almost 15 years I've heard cross your eyes, look in front of it, look through it, look at both at the same time, let your eyes go out of focus, just ends up being a big blurry mess to me.

Celine

Probably old but I just arrived at home from work:

First, tech site Nikkei and the newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun report that the 3D technology comes in the form of something called a 'parallax barrier LCD', as seen in some 3D TVs, which explodes our earlier suggestion that it'll use motion-tracking technology.

Next, Nikkei tells us that it's going to have a '3D control stick'. The exact nature of this implement is unclear, but it could be an analogue stuck, or something else entirely - I'm not entirely sure how a control stick can be '3D'. Nikkei also writes that the 3DS will feature rumble technology.

Finally, the screens are going to be less than four inches in diameter, making it smaller than the whopping DSi XL but bigger than the original DS Lite, depending on how much smaller than four inches it turns out to be.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Nintendo+3DS/news.asp?c=19336

Vinci

Danish
GCX said:
Also Nintendo was going 3rd party back then.

Technically, they still are.

Drkirby said:
It will be projected in 3D, there is no physical Analog stick!

Okay, I doubt it... but if that turns out true, that definitely needs to be on the mockup somewhere.

I don't know about Nintendo putting both an analog stick and a d-pad on the machine. Seems to go against their minimalist philosophy. I also can't see them not including a dpad as it has to be BC. I guess we'll find out soon, but I'm thinking that the "3d" stick will be akin to the rumble stylus we've been speculating on.

Good time, or best time to buy Nintendo stock?

Maybe they can get around the analogue stick problem by making the D-pad pressure sensitive?

Animator said:
Wait what is this?

I hope the screens look like that, I will buy this thing so fast.
Fake. The camera isn't in the same place as the DSi, it wouldn't be backwards compatible. And it has no analog stick, though of course those rumors could be false.

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
And I'm serious: someone dino-gif "it prints money" and a free tag.
It's not that easy. To create these, you need two versions of the same scene with slightly different angles. Even a small difference that's not supposed to be there and the illusion won't work (as the brain won't be fooled anymore), so it's not as simple as changing things around a bit in photoshop. You actually need two separate images.

Didn't read through all the pages so this may have been mentioned, but didn't some famous director talk about a gaming company that already had 3d tech and at the time there was heavy speculation that the Wii would be released with that tech? I wonder if this ended up being what the director talked about?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Has it been mentioned whether or not both screens are 3D? I find it most likely that just the top screen will be 3D while only the bottom screen is touch.

Dragona Akehi said:
I want to say that you might be OK with the 3DS. I have no idea.

And I'm serious: someone dino-gif "it prints money" and a free tag.
I'd give it a try, but I'm pretty sure you'd just change my tag to "Sucks at 3D"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fourth Storm said:
I don't know about Nintendo putting both an analog stick and a d-pad on the machine. Seems to go against their minimalist philosophy. I also can't see them not including a dpad as it has to be BC. I guess we'll find out soon, but I'm thinking that the "3d" stick will be akin to the rumble stylus we've been speculating on.
Is it possible to make some.....analog....d-pad...hybrid thing? Dunno what I'm thinking here, I just have some vague mental image.

The_Technomancer said:
Is it possible to make some.....analog....d-pad...hybrid thing? Dunno what I'm thinking here, I just have some vague mental image.

Possibly. I'm imagining an analog stick that when pressed in like the 360/PS3 controllers, functions as a digital stick such as those found in arcade units. It seems pretty out there, though. People were speculating in much the same way before the Wii was unveiled and Nintendo's solution ended up being nowhere near that.

Vic said:
Who cares about some anonymous developers. We used to ride-on with this kind of rumour here at GAF:
You know what, while that particular rumor certainly didn't pan out, we all know that Nintendo usually has more than one hardware path mapped out, and it's very possible that something like that was at one time on the drawing board.

Metal B

Celine said:
Next, Nikkei tells us that it's going to have a '3D control stick'. The exact nature of this implement is unclear, but it could be an analogue stuck, or something else entirely - I'm not entirely sure how a control stick can be '3D'. Nikkei also writes that the 3DS will feature rumble technology.

3D-Ball-Cap-1_0601116258.jpg

donny2112

Cygnus X-1 said:
I had to post in this thread.

With the absence of being able to search your own post history ( :( ), is there still a point in posting in a thread just to post in it?

Eh.

Love the head-tracking demo on DSi. Am not familiar with the 3D parallax screen dooby-whobber. Will wait to see what's going on. Seeing 3-D images typically requires focus, though, so this may not be as "play, look around, go back to playing" friendly as a normal handheld.

udivision said:
.... yes?

It's a new handheld,no the one show in that video which is a DSi XL playing a DSiware game, and we don't know the tech it uses, but probably it won't be the same of that video which is not real 3D technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom