• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Vinci said:
He could do that without sounding like his perspective has something to do with his experience in the handheld sector, at least in reference to Nintendo. If it were Microsoft, sure, provide your resume - but against the crowned king of multiple generations in the space
Yeah but people should just expect this shit by now. I don't know why everyone gets offended when someone like that says something so predictable.

ShockingAlberto said:
The smart thing to do would be to dismiss the concept as stupid without saying it in such a way that will force them to backtrack when they employ the same technology.

Nobody's going to hold them to this. The only outside of forumgoers that criticized Sony for the Move after "bashing" the Wii was Penny Arcade in a comic they did today.

AniHawk said:
It's probably that guy's job not to talk about the competition like they're doing something right when asked.
I get that, I really do, but it's probably his job to come up with a better strategy than 'Nintendo handhelds are for kiddies!' given how well that worked out for them last time. or one that doesn't downplay 3D's appeal to a wide audience.

it'd probably be better to highlight the strides they've made in 3D and say something like 'i'm glad nintendo is taking notice of the hard work people like us have done, but lets wait and see how good the 3d looks on such a small screen. in our testing small screens aren't really good enough'.

they can have that for free.

Nintendo stocks rose 9.7% yesterday. recycled talking points from before the PSP came out that have since become a phrase we all know and laugh at (gaming ghetto anyone?) is not doing your job very well.

sphinx

the piano man
Is this thread as big just for the hell of it or are we getting small info updates every 5/6 pages?

if not, then somebody please tell me what keeps this thread burning like there is no tomorrow.

sphinx said:
Is this thread as big just for the hell of it or are we getting small info updates every 5/6 pages?

if not, then somebody please tell me what keeps this thread burning like there is no tomorrow.
speculation.

Branduil

ShockingAlberto said:
The smart thing to do would be to dismiss the concept as stupid without saying it in such a way that will force them to backtrack when they employ the same technology.
"Nintendo 3DS? More like Lametendo Virtual Boy 2, am I right?"

Vinci said:
He could do that without sounding like his perspective has something to do with his experience in the handheld sector, at least in reference to Nintendo. If it were Microsoft, sure, provide your resume - but against the crowned king of multiple generations in the space?

You poor thing. :\
Yet I feel so fulfilled.

orioto

Good Art™
New one for the fun :

IceClimber3D.jpg

IceClimber3D.gif

IceClimber3DCross.jpg

upandaway

sphinx said:

3D without glasses without any info or explanation what the fuck they're talking about.

Also about Sony, why does anyone care? You know the second they saw that PR, Sony rushed like motherfuckers into their development sections screaming fanatically to come up with whatever Nintendo is doing. What they say publicly is meaningless.

Edit: You bastards, I am not able to see 3D out of any of those pictures. I want to see it! I want to see it! Someone help me see it! Argh! Is it pretty at least?

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah right, like Nintendo knows how to build a handheld. They've got no experience in this field at all!

Oh boy what an hilarious Kevin Butler ad that will be!

Boys playing games, Game Boy's! Do you get it HAHAHA!

Mindlog

upandaway said:
3D without glasses without any info or explanation what the fuck they're talking about.

Have you read any of the thread?

There was quite a bit of discussion on the possible tech being used. It's head tracking.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
Yeah right, like Nintendo knows how to build a handheld. They've got no experience in this field at all!

Oh boy what an hilarious Kevin Butler ad that will be!

Boys playing games, Game Boy's! Do you get it HAHAHA!

Kevin Butler is a fucking god, you heathen.

Somnid

As much as it's expected that each company downplay the competition I think it's silly. Is there any evidence that these sorts of PR actually have any effect other than making smart people think you're out of touch? Is anyone really going to be swayed by it?

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to say "Hey, that's a really neat sounding concept I might even pick on up but if you think that's cool wait until you see what we have in store for E3."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
1up's news story basically speculates that the two devices are going to be similar, unlike the DS and PSP. And the battle will be over software exclusives instead of hardware features.

AniHawk

I guess I could have looked for a screen from Chrono Trigger. It is a kinda obscure reference.

Y2Kev said:
1up's news story basically speculates that the two devices are going to be similar, unlike the DS and PSP. And the battle will be over software exclusives instead of hardware features.

Sony wins.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Somnid said:
As much as it's expected that each company downplay the competition I think it's silly. Is there any evidence that these sorts of PR actually have any effect other than making smart people think you're out of touch? Is anyone really going to be swayed by it?

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to say "Hey, that's a really neat sounding concept I might even pick on up but if you think that's cool wait until you see what we have in store for E3."

maybe it's an investor thing or something. like an investor would hear this news and say, "why weren't we doing this at sony?" i don't really know. i'm just taking a stab in the dark. i agree who it's for is very unclear.

upandaway

Mindlog said:
Have you read any of the thread?

There was quite a bit of discussion on the possible tech being used. It's head tracking.
Buddy, that's what I'm talking about. The fact they mentioned 3D without glasses brought forth 80 pages of discussion (and I say 80 because for the last couple, whatever it was, it was definitely not discussion).

WillyFive

raphier said:
Searched, but didn't see any posts regarding it, sorry if old:

The 3DS in action. Is this it?

Has been all over this thread, so much that you will be laughed at if you bring it up.

MinnesotaFatz said:
Hmm. This might be the first Nintendo product I buy in over a decade.

This really opens my eyes. I don't think I could even think about this past decade without a Nintendo game.

ElFly

I am going to laugh when the 3DS technology is neither the sharp LCD display or the head tracking, but just frantic back and forth background movement.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ElFly said:
I am going to laugh when the 3DS technology is neither the sharp LCD display or the head tracking, but just frantic back and forth background movement.
It's actually that you have to move your head back and forth really fast. The device is best suited for people who are used to going "oh no you didn't" a lot

Here I am at work and had a curiosity to check up on gaf. Then I saw this thread.

ZOMGWTFBBQHAX 3d without glasses? completely out of left field.

Trauma Center on the 3ds would be....

Doorman

Linkzg said:
I just realized that Pilot Wings in 3D would be amazing.
Really, almost any "heading into the screen" perspective of game would look great with technology like this. F-Zero, Pilot Wings, Star Fox...

Hell, you think that Mario Kart DS has had long sales legs? Imagine what Mario Kart 3-D could accomplish if it comes out early in the system's life.

upandaway said:
Also about Sony, why does anyone care? You know the second they saw that PR, Sony rushed like motherfuckers into their development sections screaming fanatically to come up with whatever Nintendo is doing. What they say publicly is meaningless.

Yes, Sony has 3D Tvs, 3D movies and 3D games in development, but I'm sure it never occured to them that they could release a 3D portable console.

Meesh

plagiarize said:
I get that, I really do, but it's probably his job to come up with a better strategy than 'Nintendo handhelds are for kiddies!' given how well that worked out for them last time. or one that doesn't downplay 3D's appeal to a wide audience.

it'd probably be better to highlight the strides they've made in 3D and say something like 'i'm glad nintendo is taking notice of the hard work people like us have done, but lets wait and see how good the 3d looks on such a small screen. in our testing small screens aren't really good enough'.

they can have that for free.

Nintendo stocks rose 9.7% yesterday. recycled talking points from before the PSP came out that have since become a phrase we all know and laugh at (gaming ghetto anyone?) is not doing your job very well.
I've been thinking the same thing...but to tell you the truth, Sonys been one step ahead the whole time with that "4d" tech...remember?...you know....how they said.....and how Kaz......and there was that other guy.......with the midgets and peanutbutter..........I think I'm just going to go sit in a corner *sulk*

Edit: Obviously Zeldas goin gto be the biggest thing for me. Bumped up 3d visuals in our fav 3rd person perspective....Wind Waker pop-up????

Jaruru

ElFly said:

back and forth background movement gives me headache. I'm sure Nintendo will make this 3D tech (as they claimed) comfortable for general public for a decent amount of playtime.

Question: the glasses I wore for 3D movies in theaters only work horizontally. I tried turning my head and it didn't work anymore. so, if they kind of put the glass on top of the LCD screen to make a 3D effect, the 3DS cannot make 3D images when you hold it vertically?

(given IF they're using this kind of tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom