• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father_Brain said:
A lot of GAFers also thought that DSi would "have to" retain the GBA slot before it was unveiled. Just saying.

I don't think that's necessarily comparable. If Nintendo included only one analog stick, games would not be able to use it in conjunction with the touch screen without gimping left-handed gamers.

It's not that I don't want 1 or two analog sticks. I just don't think Nintendo will see it as necessary.

plank said:
Just because its backwards compatible to the DS/DSlite/DSi doesn't mean it'll have two screens. It might just have one large screen that can mimic two displays at once, like the iphone.

A "3D Screen" literalist.

mimic 2 screens at once on a less than 4 inch screen? Wont that be a bit constraining

Branduil

My mockup:

osfp5e.jpg

Vinci said:
EDIT: Mostly I was trying to figure out how to put a decent analog stick on the thing.
Nice. I already like the clamshell design for other reasons, but I hadn't considered that it could allow for slightly taller controller elements.
poppabk said:
Its a neat idea but would attract dirt like nobodies business.
I think it wouldn't have to go ALL the way through to be useful. Even a few extra millimeters would be handy in making something a bit better than the PSP nub.

Come to think of it, that actually reminds me a bit of the E3 2004 DS, where the controls were in a slightly recessed area that matched with a slightly recessed area on the flip portion.
ds_reveal--article_image.jpg

AvidNobody said:
So is it really possible for a handheld to have Gamecube graphics?

I'm not doubting it, I really just don't know.
Easy. Remember, this is coming 6 years after Nintendo released a handheld with N64 graphics and Sony released one with DC/PS2 graphics.

plank said:
Just because its backwards compatible to the DS/DSlite/DSi doesn't mean it'll have two screens. It might just have one large screen that can mimic two displays at once, like the iphone.
Some games (like Phantom Hourglass) use the clamshell opening and closing of the DS as a game mechanic. Just saying.

I like the idea of there being two cameras on the device for 3D photos, but with DSi compatibility, then there would have to be at least three cameras total (although perhaps the two for the 3D could be combined into one wider camera hole).

MadOdorMachine said:
What if the screw hole was recessed or concave? Would that make it more comfortable?

It technically is on the Game Pad, you still have a gap your thumb is resting over. I think I remember that thing doing a job on my thumb too, come to think of it...

Ten-Song

Willy105 said:
What? I liked it. Especially the black stripe. I thought the DS Phat design was a downgrade.

I thought both were ugly as hell, but the prototype version at least tried to have some sort of aesthetic to it, unlike the DS phat, which was just a terrible lump of plastic in terms of design.

MisterHero

handofg0d said:
Terrible mock up using existing mock of DSLite + cut and paste to visualize idea.

23jldav.png
This is completely prepostorous!

Gamecube Twilight Princess wasn't widescreen!

teehee

Seriously though, I like yours and Branduil's designs

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know it's just a mockup, but how does it structurally work? If the screen extends right to the end of the hinge, won't the top and bottom actually...scratch one another while closing or opening? It seems like you need some degree of space between the two to allow for a pivoting radius.

Durante

Y2Kev said:
I know it's just a mockup, but how does it structurally work? If the screen extends right to the end of the hinge, won't the top and bottom actually...scratch one another while closing or opening? It seems like you need some degree of space between the two to allow for a pivoting radius.
If the screens touch at the exact center of the pivot axis it should work with a very small gap. The engineering problem is building them that close to the edge, there's a reason LCDs have bezels.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
These mockups are god-awful. Don't you people have any imagination?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So I was thinking why would Nintendo leak this like they did.... and I think it has a lot to do with the GDC leaks.

After seeing the accurate leaks at GDC, Nintendo must of known that the 3D part would get leaked before E3 so they decided to do it themselves. Because otherwise I think they would of unveiled the 3D part right before E3 or during the Sony or Microsoft conference (like with Motion+) to try and steal some of their thunder.

Either that or to raise their stock.

Branduil

Y2Kev said:
Tiny Gremlins inside the hinges.

Dacvak said:
These mockups are god-awful. Don't you people have any imagination?

DS and Wii had crazier mockups prior to the reveal because no one knew what to expect. We know it has to work with DSi games so the basic appearance is going to be pretty much the same.

Ten-Song

Branduil said:
DS and Wii had crazier mockups prior to the reveal because no one knew what to expect. We know it has to work with DSi games so the basic appearance is going to be pretty much the same.

This reminds me of all those terrible "Nintendo Helmet" mock-ups before the Wii was officially unveiled. God they were so bad.:lol

Empty

That mockup of twilight princess on a handheld with a gorgeous screen is turning me on. I can't wait for the day when i can play something that beautiful on a portable system.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Empty said:
That mockup of twilight princess on a handheld with a gorgeous screen is turning me on. I can't wait for the day when i can play something that beautiful on a portable system.

yes indeed. there's this irrational part of me wanting to ask that picture to the prom

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
handofg0d said:
I meant resistance.
That was the point though. It was chiefly designed for Ice Hockey. Awesome controller all around though. Works exactly like the regular d-pad except with far less friction.

Branduil said:
That controller was total garbage. Also, the stick broke almost immediately and the part that screws in was stuck without a way to get it out. :lol
i thought i was the only one :lol i broke that thing playing mortal kombat 2 :lol

Burai

shitonmychest57
Surgeon Rocket said:
is this bizzarro world?

It was pretty tacky looking.

It was, but the Phat looked like it was made by Tiger Electronics. I half expected it to be backward compatible with R-Zone and Game.com games.

DSi=DSiXL=DSlite>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPrototype>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPhat

Burai

shitonmychest57
AlternativeUlster said:
Does anyone else think that the new Wii will actually not need a TV and use 3D projections now if the 3DS is a success?

The orange port finally comes into play.

Burai said:
It was, but the Phat looked like it was made by Tiger Electronics. I half expected it to be backward compatible with R-Zone and Game.com games.

DSi=DSiXL=DSlite>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPrototype>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPhat

i think PSP was the reason they launched with such atrocious design :D

AlternativeUlster said:
Does anyone else think that the new Wii will actually not need a TV and use 3D projections now if the 3DS is a success?
No. 3D viewing on a small LCD screen is feasible cheap tech for the near future. Projecting 3D holograms is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom