• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

You people are actually seeing something crossing your eyes at the two SMB pics?

Im' amazed at the Jurassic Park image. I didn't even know that was possible. Replace the T-Rex with Bowser!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Vinci said:
Why would a company spend more on something than they 'have to'?
To have something above baseline functional, like when Nintendo commissioned Sony to make a sound chip for the SNES. ;)

demonkid666 said:
But those are static images. How would a scrolling or 3d game work with that tech while moving?
It's incredibly simple. Like, the easiest thing.

Most of the time you render one view of a game. With this method, you just render the scene a second time with the camera shifted right or left slightly. Do it 30 to 60 times a second and you've got a 3D game.

And obviously it doesn't jitter back and forth, what those images are showing are the two different scenes that each eye sees.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm trying to read through Kotaku's comments in their new 3DS post but the blatant ignorance displayed in there shows the depth of their readerbase. Not even worth replying to.

You people are actually seeing something crossing your eyes at the two SMB pics?

I tried and I couldn't cross my eyes that far, and I don't want to try that again.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I got super-hype about the Nintendo Revolution specs years ago and got burned in the end since it wasn't even close from what was rumoured, or in other words, what I excepted. Although it's not far-fetched to claim that the graphics with better that the DS's, speculating that it will be at the Gamecube's level is just asking for disappointment IMO.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dogenzaka said:
I tried and I couldn't cross my eyes that far, and I don't want to try that again.
With the large version you focus in front of the screen. With the small version you focus behind the screen.

Salaadin said:
Is that thing supposed to look 3d without crossing my eyes? If so, yeah, it works. Thats kinda cool actually.

I want to say that you might be OK with the 3DS. I have no idea.

And I'm serious: someone dino-gif "it prints money" and a free tag.

Barrett2

Vic said:
I got super-hype about the Nintendo Revolution specs years ago and got burned in the end since it wasn't even close from what was rumoured, or in other words, what I excepted. Although it's not far-fetched to claim that the graphics with better that the DS's, speculating that it will be at the Gamecube's level is just asking for disappointment IMO.

Honestly, if Nintendo isn't able to put 10 year old graphics power into a new handheld, that would just be sad. It shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.

EatChildren said:
If the no-glasses 3D tech is of good quality then the device will practically sell itself. See someone playing and you'll see the tech.
remember, that's a lot of how the DS was a success at reaching into new markets. a portable is natural much more 'viral' in nature than a home console because your chances of bumping into one are a lot greater.

the Wii's multiplayer focus was no small part of that systems sustained sales too. invite people over to better enjoy your multiplayer games, and then they go home afterwards and start thinking about getting one of their own.

gimmmick said:
No one will ever beat the LTD of the ps2 now.

DS will outsell PS2 LTD easily (do you really think that the DS sales will suddenly fall off a cliff as soon as the 3DS gets released?) Not to mention the Wii of course!

methodman

Banned
Siap. This is amazing news, and I was thinking of different ways on how the stylus would Interact with the screen. It supposedly has some type of force feedback, what if the stylus could be used a couple cm from the screen, you never touch the screen but the way it's feedback works allows you to "feel" a touch that never happened? You'd be literally using the stylus in 3d space. Would be sooo sick. Minority report type shit.

Drkirby said:
I wonder if there would be a way to "tune" the 3D if it gets out of phocus to you. Like the contrast wheel on the old gameboy, but to adjust the parallax barrior.
I'm really curious about this too. We know that the camera on the DSi is of high enough resolution for the DSi to do eye tracking. The question is, could the 3DS use that eye tracking to adjust the Parallax Barrier to better match your eyes?

mooooose

Vic said:
We've reached a point where it's possible that it could happen. The system could be released with GameCube-esque graphics and be affordable, but not only that, profitable. It'll probably happen.

bmf said:
I'm really curious about this too. We know that the camera on the DSi is of high enough resolution for the DSi to do eye tracking. The question is, could the 3DS use that eye tracking to adjust the Parallax Barrier to better match your eyes?
in theory yes.

Mik2121

bmf said:
I'm not sure you want the camera to be running all the time. That's gonna drain the batteries pretty fast.

pulga

Banned
Holy fuck. Ninja Nintendo is fucking awesome. I have no more words. 3DS? Damn.

I, for one, continue welcoming our Nintendo Overlords.

meekzzz

Neo Member
i think the fact that it's backward compatible with the DS and DSi will allow Nintendo to hold on to their lead. I'm sure devs will also be scared about PSP's track record in regards to piracy issue

Vic said:
I really don't see why its impossible. I mean, the PSP has been putting out almost PS2 level graphics since 2005. By the time the 3DS launches it will be 6 years from later from even that. The cost to get portable tech to output Gamecube level graphics can't be that high anymore, even with the new fancy 3D stuff.

Gino

RandomVince said:
So if wind waker comes out on the 3DS I take a small segment of the players wont be able to see the sailboat?

/rimshot

I really cant wait for this. Such a nice suprise announcement.
You dumb bastard. It's a schooner not a sailboat.

Vic said:
Take it up with the developers claiming it's GC-quality at GDC.

Branduil

Dragona Akehi said:
I want to say that you might be OK with the 3DS. I have no idea.

And I'm serious: someone dino-gif "it prints money" and a free tag.
Unfortunately I don't think there's any easy way to do that unless you actually have two slightly skewed photos of the same thing.

I think I do know a way to fake it though. Someone give me the original gif and I'll give it a try.

JoeFu

Banned
Branduil said:
Unfortunately I don't think there's any easy way to do that unless you actually have two slightly skewed photos of the same thing.

I think I do know a way to fake it though. Someone give me the original gif and I'll give it a try.

hahahaha trying to get your tag changed brandy?

It's really cool living in a time equivalent to when tvs went from black and white to color, with our transition from standard to hd/3-d.

optimiss

11rx0jo.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
silverbullet1080 said:
Yes. In both of them you can see depth.
I just had a mental image of Nintendo releasing the 3DS with 3 screens. One touch screen and then above two screens side by side - ".... and then you just cross your eyes and ..."

yankee666

Gino said:
nicely done. not the prettiest mock up but it gets the point across.

Yep very nice mockup, but im still hopping for 1 screen only this time. The DS backwards could work with a screen just like the Hitachi phone H001.

GCX

This threads reminds me of 2004 when everyone made crazy DS mock-ups of and wondered what the fuck Nintendo was doing with two screens.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ShockingAlberto said:
Take it up with the developers claiming it's GC-quality at GDC.
Who cares about some anonymous developers. We used to ride-on with this kind of rumour here at GAF:

Nintendo Revolution specs revealed? said:
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/09/5344.ars

You've all seen the curious Nintendo Revolution controller, but what about the Revolution console itself? No official information has been released, and we don't really expect to see it soon, but it's Friday, so a little rumor-mongering is in order.

A Factor 5 employee who goes by the name "Han Solo" claims to know the Revolution's specs, and has leaked them (middle of page 3). Why listen to some guy trapped in 1977? Señor Solo, as I'm sure he's known to his Spanish-speaking friends, proved worth listening to when he nearly nailed the Xbox 360 stats before the official details came out. That said, we can't treat this as reliable information, but it may prove to be good fodder for a Friday evening console war. Or maybe, just maybe, Nintento and Sony fans will join hands and sing songs about the merits of a market with more than one player.

If you're the kind of person who hates rumors, then... why are you still reading? OK, with that out of the way, here we go.

The brains of the console are rumored to be a single dual-threaded IBM "custom" PowerPC 2.5 GHz CPU, with 256 KB L1 cache and 1 MB of L2 cache (L3 cache is rumored). The system will also sport a Physical Processing Chip (PPU) with 32MB of dedicated RAM, while the CPU itself will saddled up next to 512MB of system RAM. The custom ATI GPU solution is rumored to consist of a RN520 600MHz core, backed with 256MB of RAM and "32 parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines." While the output will theoretically be capable of putting out 1080p resolution (higher even, at 2048x1268), Solo says that HD support has not yet been decided (which fits with Nintendo's own comments).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom