• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

TheRagnCajun said:
Yes, Sony has 3D Tvs, 3D movies and 3D games in development, but I'm sure it never occured to them that they could release a 3D portable console.

It's a good thing Nintendo's here to show them the way.

raphier

Banned
stilgar said:
Wie hast du das gefunden? Oh Mench, du echt bist der Internetkoenig!
Sorry, I dont talk that language. :/ I was linked to this video through a friend! (If it's anyhow a reply to me.)

MaRa said:
here is another one!

1245792484678.gif

Is this part of the "thread looping in on itself" joke, or is that a genuine post?

Duelist said:
So I have a question for the techies.

How do you think it would be possible for the 3DS to be 3D and have tilt and motion sensing when a change of viewing angle might disrupt the 3D effect?
I know others have said otherwise, but if Nintendo combines the 3D with face-tracking (no i"m not linking to that dam video again) then they could set the tech to have the 3D always be visible regardless of how you tilt the system.

watch this video from CEBIT for the part about head tracking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRq7GhBLRQ

Doorman said:
Really, almost any "heading into the screen" perspective of game would look great with technology like this. F-Zero, Pilot Wings, Star Fox...

Hell, you think that Mario Kart DS has had long sales legs? Imagine what Mario Kart 3-D could accomplish if it comes out early in the system's life.

yeah, I tried out Wipeout HD in 3D and Dark Void in 3D and both of them were incredibly impressive. I'm thinking that games designed to be 3D on the 3DS will look even better consider the two games mentioned already were designed to be viewed in 3D.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vinterbird said:
Is this part of the "thread looping in on itself" joke, or is that a genuine post?

Courtesy of @markmacd's twitter

- New portable hardware
- To be announced at E3
- Uses 3D w/o need for glasses
- Backwards compatible with DS, DSi
- Release BEFORE March 2011 (sorry! my bad)
- Prints money

WillyFive

Vinterbird said:

People in general were confused by the 3DS. It caused millions to suddenly stop thinking straight. Some kind of dimensional tear. There are still people who think it's another DS.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
orioto said:
New one for the fun :

http://orioto.free.fr/IceClimber3D.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://orioto.free.fr/IceClimber3D.gif
http://orioto.free.fr/IceClimber3DCross.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
How do I get this one to work :/

Drkirby said:
How do I get this one to work :/

Huh? It just does. Can you not see the incredible depth? It looks beautiful and shows what I've been saying all along; that 2D games are going to be one of the most impressive applications.

Willy105 said:
People in general were confused by the 3DS. It caused millions to suddenly stop thinking straight. Some kind of dimensional tear. There are still people who think it's another DS.

Yeah, including all of Gamespot's staff! :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brain_stew said:
Huh? It just does. Can you not see the incredible depth? It looks beautiful and shows what I've been saying all along; that 2D games are going to be one of the most impressive applications.

the dino one looks better.

ice climbers looks like someone standing with a nice polaroid of ice climbers shaking it really fast in my face

TheRagnCajun said:
This looks impressive. I can't say I care much for the other gifs people have made.

me neither.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
brain_stew said:
I honestly can't tell anymore.

This has to be the most bizzare thread on GAF I've ever witnessed.
I see you missed the latter half of the Metroid: Other M thread.

We even debated whether or not things were canon based on nose shape.

If it is gamecube level graphics, I cant really imagine how, on a less than 4 inch screen, that the 3D will really make the games (using gamecube examples):

Resident Evil 4
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Mario Kart Double Dash
Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia
Animal Cross

(using the best selling gamecubes games on wiki)

look all that fun or appealing (or even be functional with the examples of possible 3D that was shown in this thread).

TheRagnCajun said:
This looks impressive. I can't say I care much for the other gifs people have made.

Most of the other images were originally 2D and adapted to create a 3D image, but this was created in 3D from the start, that's why it looks so good. Since all 3DS software will be built with 3D in mind from the get go and won't have silly juddering backgrounds, well yeah, prepare to have your mind blown. I can't wait! :D

Zenith

Banned
t-rex.gif

If you did that on a video game, so the y-intercept of the player camera rotated around a close object it as looking at, would you get the same extreme DoF/pseudo-3D effect? You could use motion-blur to tidy up the edges.

[Nintex]

Willy105 said:
Nintendo will probably name it:

Nintendo NEW handheld Portable System Not a New DS DAMMIT and it does 3D Too
in short
NNHPSNANDDAID3DT

WillyFive

Dedication Through Light said:
If it is gamecube level graphics, I cant really imagine how, on a less than 4 inch screen, that the 3D will really make the games (using gamecube examples):

Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Animal Cross

look all that fun or appealing (or even be functional with the examples of possible 3D that was shown in this thread).

4 inch is pretty big, and in 3D, it will be very noticeable. You may not see the ridges of Mario's pants, but you will see that KO in your face.

Celine said:
Can't people just wait 3 measly months ?

No. They could wait for the DS or Wii either.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Animal Cross

I find it hard to believe that Baten Kaitos was the best-selling out of any list.

Regulus Tera said:
I find it hard to believe that Baten Kaitos was the best-selling out of any list.
it's a list that contains some game called 'Animal Cross'.

is that the game were you do stunts on animals while racing them, or the game where you have to make animals angry by drawing religious symbols on them?

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will probably name it:

Nintendo NEW handheld Portable System Not a New DS DAMMIT and it does 3D Too
in short
NNHPSNANDDAID3DT
And still Gamespot won't get it.

Nirolak said:
That video went from 475 views to 815,312 views today.
I noticed that as well :lol

WillyFive

GregLombardi said:
Really? :lol

Gotta love the misinformation out there.

Yep. And to think a few choice of words in the press release were interpreted so differently by people that by the time E3 comes along, people will be surprised that the 3DS is a new system.

Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Animal Cross

Well

There is the possibility, and it's only a possibility, that they will make new games for it

Willy105 said:
Has been all over this thread, so much that you will be laughed at if you bring it up.

This really opens my eyes. I don't think I could even think about this past decade without a Nintendo game.
Yeah, the last thing from the was OoT. Of course I have played a thing or two from them since then, but that was the last Nintendo product I spent money on.

ITA84

TheRagnCajun said:

Not a fair comparison, since it's an old concept pic created for the expressive purpose of marketing that tech.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ShockingAlberto said:
Well

There is the possibility, and it's only a possibility, that they will make new games for it

Don't be talking crazy shit. This is the company that ported New Super Mario Bros. to Wii.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HAL_Laboratory said:
Worked on this for a while last night, so please forgive the double-post.

3ds_mockup_ryancooper2010_opt.jpg

So I'm guessing clamshell design is out, right? That was like, my favourite thing about the DS (after the microphone).

stilgar

HAL_Laboratory said:
Worked on this for a while last night, so please forgive the double-post.

Same remark : really nice, but where's my joystick? Also, no clamshell/slide?

EDIT herrrr at least the joystick thing

Drkirby said:
Someone gave you a DS as a gift for free?
No. My last system was the N64. A friend gave me a gameboy COLOR and Pokemon Red back in 99. Which is weird now that I think about it cause I grew up with the NES. The very first game I ever played was Zelda in the 80s. I touched a DS once though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom